• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Chabbles

And what exactly is so bad about the "damsel in distress" concept being used one way or another in these works of fiction whether its in this game or not ?.
And if we get right down to it, im playing this game and all im thinking about is exploration and killing zombies and what cool new weapons i can make/find, the stories somewhere in the background im thinking very little of while playing.

Yeah, if anyone's here lurking, thinking of buying the game, if you like open world games, get it. If you don't, you probably won't like this one but I, like another poster here, had more fun with Dying Light than with Far Cry 4.

This game is awesome, all I want to do is run on rooftops and throw propane tanks at zombies down stairs.

I can't wait to get the grapple hook!

funny-gif-girl-dog-cute-fluffy1.gif

Denton

A trope doesn't define an entire game or type of media. Go to TV Tropes and look up your favorite show (assuming it's there). See all of the associated tropes. Some of those tropes describe something that maybe took up a minute of a single episode of that show. It doesn't mean the trope is not a valid description of that episode or part of that show.

Anita pointing out the "Damsel in Distress" sequence in this game doesn't make the game worse or bad. FYI, she's right. The trope exactly describes what happens at this point in the game. People need to fucking relax and realize that people criticizing games are not attacking them. They are simply pointing out where things like this exist so that it sparks a conversation.

She is attacking its devs by saying they should be embarrased, actually.

When do you start to get guns?
anytime. if you find one. but bullets. welp. anyways how about this?
everything is tied to survival level and more things unlock at stores the higher your survival level. so sooner or later guns and bullets will be available for purchase

So, turns out there is one closet with a zombie inside. All other closets in this game only have items, so you think you're safe opening them... nope. I panicked so hard I almost screamed :D
I haven't run into this one yet, but the one that
jumps out of the toilet stall
made me pump like 8 rounds into him. Eight precious, precious rounds.

Fuck. thanks for the heads up.

Since the start of the game, Every time I open a closet in the game Ive been expecting something crazy in there. It's got that ominous camera zoom like when you open doors in the old RE games.
I feel bad for what happened
I had camouflage up when I opened the closet so it just stood there. "hmmm..." *whack* *dead* "ok then, moving on". (but it did scare me when I opened it though :p)

tesqui

I'm extremely curious of an alternate timeline where this game got review copies a good week or two early. Wonder how much of a shift in average review score would happen?

I'm kind of in disbelief that something like that would make a difference really. Are reviewers really that spoiled with early copies?

eshwaaz

Finally started this over the weekend. Having a great time.

I don't think I've ever experienced wind in a video game more convincing than it is here. The audio/visual package in that respect is amazing, and it adds so much to the sense of place. Even the clothing on the zombies flaps and billows in the breeze.

LoD for buildings and shadows is awful on PS4, though. Structures sometimes look like they're changing into completely different buildings when I get within 30 feet of them. It's really jarring.

jond76

Banned
I have a fun clip I'd like to share but for whatever reason my Xbox is taking days to upload to xboxclips/ smartglass. I wanna share! Haha

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
While I agree with what you said, why are we paying so much attention to what some angry, misguided, feminist posts to her Twitter about a video game? Is she like the "Queen Feminist" or something?
Tried to spend more than 10 minutes in VR with this game and I'm literally spinning. Feel like I'm going to throw up. The head tracking isn't quite right nor is the sense of scale and the speed and animation of the game are just too much for it. It's neat to see but, man, unplayable for me. Never felt this ill before from a VR experience.

She has a lot of people's attention right now.

Some of the things she says have merit but she is quite prone to incorrectly label things as well. What she claims about Dying Light is not correct, I believe. There is nothing sexist about the way this games story proceeds. It definitely shines some negative light on her methods in my eyes.
She's incisive, and a pundit; and I don't necessarily think she's misguided. I think her intentions are relatively sound and I'd happily self-identify as a feminist right alongside her under the broadest definition. Sometimes she gets things either a little off or wrong altogether in critiquing individual games, and you can't fault her that much for it. Her aim is more than anything else to provoke heated discussion about it, and she's good at doing that even if occasionally it involves unnecessarily discrediting whatever recent release is getting press at the time.

I do think she has the habit of experiencing a game necessarily through the lens of how its contents relate to gender inequity and the historical subjugation of women both in and out of fiction. This isn't a bad thing so much as it may tip the scales a little bit with regard to finding examples of things to abhor, even if they're potentially imagined or coincidental. Sometimes a bigger picture is important and a lot of times I see examples that kind of "miss the point" a bit with regard to a scene's role in the framework of the game in question even if they superficially resemble the trope she's referring to.

To some extent, her desire is to generate controversy. Getting people talking about these issues isn't a bad thing, and actually creating videogames to explore a deconstruction of the trope in question would be intriguing. I just wanted to voice my opinion that Dying Light is a poor example and her damsel-breaks-out-of-jail game is a poor solution.
And what exactly is so bad about the "damsel in distress" concept being used one way or another in these works of fiction whether its in this game or not ?
Nothing... necessarily. I think it depends. But then you get into the matters of

1) what you're willing to a define as a damsel in distress. If it really is any female character getting kidnapped, then yeah, Dying Light has one
2) why it's used in the particular story it is used in. Details are important. Context is important.

Her problem with the "damsel in distress" trope is that it "perpetuates regressive and patronizing myths about women." I really just don't think Dying Light's plot... thin and unimpressive as it is... does that in particular.

Meh I don't 100% agree with whoever, but I do think Jade was a Damsel in Distress (DiD).

Just because males became DiD as well doesn't negate that Jade was one, too. It's a positive that males were put in the same situation.

What happened when you were kidnapped? You fought your way out and hurt the bad guy and became a hero known throughout the land. What happened when the female got kidnapped? She couldn't escape, and when you came to rescue her, she gave her life to you and died.

"Robbing this bank for greed is ok because it was a mobster bank, also because there were times when we robbed groceries stores to give food to the poor and homeless." No robing a bank is still robbing a bank.

Sure it's not as clear cut and bad as she says, but it is still using the trope.
Her problem with the "damsel in distress" trope is that it "perpetuates regressive and patronizing myths about women." I really just don't think Dying Light's plot... thin and unimpressive as it is... does that in particular.
In context, I learned that
women, no matter how strong they may seem, are still damsels in distress waiting to be rescued by you, and will devote and give their life for you, the strong man who, when kidnapped, escaped on his own.

everything spoilers -

Ahmir - Died to save a friend and the innocent.

Rahim - Died to save the city

Breken - Disabled while trying to provide for his people

Zere - Murdered because he was trying to save the people

Jade - Died to save you, the male lead, because he is the strong male who can save the city

Rais - Died in a manly man to man battle of men

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just because males became DiD as well doesn't negate that Jade was one, too. It's a positive that males were put in the same situation.
As long as we acknowledge that can happen I don't really have any issue with describing her that way. Her definition doesn't appear to allow this.
What happened when you were kidnapped? You fought your way out and hurt the bad guy and became a hero known throughout the land. What happened when the female got kidnapped? She couldn't escape, and when you came to rescue her, she gave her life to you and died.
You're the main character. What I'm hearing here is that all of this would have totally been okay if the sex of each were reversed, right?

Sure it's not as clear cut and bad as she says, but it is still using the trope.In context, I learned that
women, no matter how strong they may seem, are still damsels in distress waiting to be rescued by you, and will devote and give their life for you, the strong man who, when kidnapped, escaped on his own.
If that's what you learned, so be it. I think this puts far too much emphasis on the fact that Jade is female when in the context of the plot it isn't close to the only or most important thing that defines her.

As long as we acknowledge that can happen I don't really have any issue with describing her that way. Her definition doesn't appear to allow this.
Yes it's a tight definition. So MiD I guess? It's a good point she should touch on, but it's ok. She doesn't have to point out everything.
You're the main character. What I'm hearing here is that all of this would have totally been okay if the sex of each were reversed, right?
Yes. The current culture is so bad that something as stupid and pointless and as simple as that would be an improvement.
If that's what you learned, so be it. I think this puts far too much emphasis on the fact that Jade is female when in the context of the plot it isn't close to the only or most important thing that defines her.
again, just because there are many many many many many many good things about the character doesn't negate the one bad thing that happens related to this character as well. and the one bad thing doesn't negate the good, either. they're all there.

tfur

She is attacking its devs by saying they should be embarrased, actually.

There in lies the problem.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with tropes, as they are simply reoccurring story devices. The story device often reoccurs since the subject matter often occurs, or can occur in everyday life.

The idea that you must blindly decry occurrences of any story device, without context, is rather ignorant.

Also, what is not a trope? How many occurrences of any story device does it take to turn that said story device into a trope?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
May quit playing this game. Love everything but the button configuration is bad but even worse, since this isn't meant to be a shooter, it should have been in third person. Would have been much better since the concept is based on exploration and survival as opposed to shooting. Going to play again tonight as I want to give it a second chance but if I don't continue playing it, just want to say that I hope everyone enjoys the game as I do think the game is better than what the reviews and scores have been. Those two aspects is what's preventing me from really enjoying the game as I love all the other stuff.

May quit playing this game. Love everything but the button configuration is bad but even worse, since this isn't meant to be a shooter, it should have been in third person. Would have been much better since the concept is based on exploration and survival as opposed to shooting. Going to play again tonight as I want to give it a second chance but if I don't continue playing it, just want to say that I hope everyone enjoys the game as I do think the game is better than what the reviews and scores have been. Those two aspects is what's preventing me from really enjoying the game as I love all the other stuff.
huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh. well it's good to know this thread isn't 100% love for the game. there are actually people who don't enjoy it.

She's incisive, and a pundit; and I don't necessarily think she's misguided. I think her intentions are relatively sound and I'd happily self-identify as a feminist right alongside her under the broadest definition. Sometimes she gets things either a little off or wrong altogether in critiquing individual games, and you can't fault her that much for it. Her aim is more than anything else to provoke heated discussion about it, and she's good at doing that even if occasionally it involves unnecessarily discrediting whatever recent release is getting press at the time. .

We will have to agree to disagree on her incisiveness. If what I've seen of her tweets constitutes incisive content these days, fucking yikes.

I am also very wary of her intention. IF (and that's a big if) her intention is to stoke the flames of sound, meaningful discussion, she is indeed misguided in her method at the very least.

Anyone know what, if anything, all the adjectives in front of the weapons actually translate to in terms of usage?
Three pages of arguing aside, my theory on prefix is that it determines the level requirement of the weapon.

Katana: S23
superior katana: S24
premium katana: S25

each level requirement has better stats.
in that name, the color changes its stats more. better color better stats

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh. well it's good to know this thread isn't 100% love for the game. there are actually people who don't enjoy it.

I'm actually enjoying the game because of the survival and exploration elements. Just wish the button configuration was editable and that it was in third person. I look at Dying Light as a State of Decay type game which is great because I loved that game. The perspective and controls are killing the positives for me.

Playing again now. See if I can get into the game more.

So is it just not ok to have a female character in distress anymore?

Only if the character is clearly in a situation that would also distress Nathan Drake.

I can see her point. Re-factoring the world to get rid of the subtle imprint that females are, on average, less physically accomplished, more likely to get into trouble, is a huge huge task. I suggest there also be a campaign to convert "women and children first" to just "children first" in any contemporary or futuristic depictions of disasters.

She is indeed. Pretty silly.

ANYWAYS FORGET ALL THAT WHO WANTS TO GROUP FOR 4 MAN DO 5 QUESTS TROPHY as well as 10 events and 7 wins at events
1. PikaPuff

PS4

I'd be down for it in about an hour... but I'm only a couple hours into the game and haven't even really figured out how this whole co-op thing works. That said, if you guys don't mine a "newb" (as I've been called by a certain NPC in this game a few times), I'll come along and try not to screw up.

and that it was in third person..

No way! the whole point of the free motion first person movement is immersion. It works really well and I'm scared that it will make every other first person game feel really dated!

You do in fact have to look where you are jumping and grabbing, and moving the camera to peek round corners etc is a game confection that we've all just got too used to.

Only if the character is clearly in a situation that would also distress Nathan Drake.

I can see her point. Re-factoring the world to get rid of the subtle imprint that females are, on average, less physically accomplished, more likely to get into trouble, is a huge huge task. I suggest there also be a campaign to convert "women and children first" to just "children first" in any contemporary or futuristic depictions of disasters.

But this is fact. It's just the way it is.

Anung

Un Rama
I really liked FC4 (in my top ten and all) but the more time I spend with this the more I realize how much I enjoy it way more the FC4.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
No way! the whole point of the free motion first person movement is immersion. It works really well and I'm scared that it will make every other first person game feel really dated!

You do in fact have to look where you are jumping and grabbing, and moving the camera to peek round corners etc is a game confection that we've all just got too used to.

To each his/her own but I prefer third person. I have only played and completed five first person games ever and all five were shooters. For Dying Light, you're obviously not shooting your way through the zombies which is why I think third person would have been better suited.

I understand the immersion aspect but the game shouldn't have to be in first person in order to achieve that immersion. As much as I loved The Evil Within, the widescreen aspect, small field of view and the way too zoomed in aiming wasn't necessary and only done to achieve that immersion. I look at Dying Light the same way. Potentially great game limited due to certain developmental decisions that shouldn't have happened.

Also, I think that every first person game should have a third person option. Either on the fly like in GTA V or choosing between the two perspectives when starting the game. This is just my own personal opinion.

ship it

I really liked FC4 (in my top ten and all) but the more time I spend with this the more I realize how much I enjoy it way more the FC4.

I really liked FC3, but FC4 felt like I was doing the same thing too much. This game scratches a new itch.

WHO WANTS TO GROUP FOR 4 MAN DO 5 QUESTS TROPHY as well as 10 events and 7 wins at events
1. PikaPuff
2. antitrop
3. Azerach
alt. Narmer212|| PSN: ????????
PS4

carlsojo

Tried the Parking Garage Quarantine Zone and some
Night Stalkers
had their way with me. I could have been stealthier than throwing exploding ninja stars at them I guess.

hawk2025

...here comes the "review scores!!!!" post, but I just have to:

wow at the Metacritic.

This is Driveclub 2.0 for me, just a total misunderstanding of where they are coming from (although, to be clear, I understand that it's a disagreement of opinion).

This game shows that Techland has learned quite a few lessons since Dead Island. It's not just that it's a pretty fun sandbox, but I think they genuinely learned how to make a more engaging and well-rounded product since their last zombie game.

Top Bottom