• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

To each his/her own but I prefer third person. I have only played and completed five first person games ever and all five were shooters. For Dying Light, you're obviously not shooting your way through the zombies which is why I think third person would have been better suited.

I understand the immersion aspect but the game shouldn't have to be in first person in order to achieve that immersion. As much as I loved The Evil Within, the widescreen aspect, small field of view and the way too zoomed in aiming wasn't necessary and only done to achieve that immersion. I look at Dying Light the same way. Potentially great game limited due to certain developmental decisions that shouldn't have happened.

Also, I think that every first person game should have a third person option. Either on the fly like in GTA V or choosing between the two perspectives when starting the game. This is just my own personal opinion.

Who knows, maybe someday somebody will release a third person camera mode and we'll all be happy.

Sad that you didn't like the game, but each to their own.

Personally, this is one of the few open world games I've enjoyed, but like Dead Island, it's getting repetitive pretty quickly.

but the game shouldn't have to be in first person in order to achieve that immersion. .

The whole point of the parkour mechanic is that - unlike previous games that auto-complete your jumps, block wrong moves (because ... third person) - there is real jeopardy involved. You have to look where you are going, you have to look at what you're grabbing. The looking mechanic is key.

Without it, the whole movement system drops back to uncharted or assassins creed, it becomes boring. Instead of CLIMBING that structure, you're directing a puppet by suggesting directions of movement.

Almost by definition, you can't achieve as much immersion with a 3rd person camera as you can doing it this way. No amount of whistling wind and crumbling ledges make up for a 3rd person view.

red731

*four hours later

Okay. See ya tomorrow DL...
KuGsj.gif

Aselith

...here comes the "review scores!!!!" post, but I just have to:

wow at the Metacritic.

This is Driveclub 2.0 for me, just a total misunderstanding of where they are coming from (although, to be clear, I understand that it's a disagreement of opinion).

This game shows that Techland has learned quite a few lessons since Dead Island. It's not just that it's a pretty fun sandbox, but I think they genuinely learned how to make a more engaging and well-rounded product since their last zombie game.

80 is a good score. What's the problem?

A few hours in, and the game has started to feel like it's getting repetitive, especially the combat. The platforming is fun. The night is scary, though I died three times in a row so it got a little bit boring.

As for where I am in terms of story progression,
I'm at the "Deal with Rais"mission, just went through my first night.

antitrop

This game shows that Techland has learned quite a few lessons since Dead Island. It's not just that it's a pretty fun sandbox, but I think they genuinely learned how to make a more engaging and well-rounded product since their last zombie game.

This is great, but I hope Techland's next game is another Call of Juarez game in the style of Gunslinger, except with greater production values. They were really onto something there.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
The whole point of the parkour mechanic is that - unlike previous games that auto-complete your jumps, block wrong moves (because ... third person) - there is real jeopardy involved. You have to look where you are going, you have to look at what you're grabbing. The looking mechanic is key.

Without it, the whole movement system drops back to uncharted or assassins creed, it becomes boring. Instead of CLIMBING that structure, you're directing a puppet by suggesting directions of movement.

Almost by definition, you can't achieve as much immersion with a 3rd person camera as you can doing it this way. No amount of whistling wind and crumbling ledges make up for a 3rd person view.

I understand with what you're saying and agree but only to a certain point because if im standing in front of a wall and I have to look up to jump up, I wouldn't have to do that in reality as I would see it. Maybe, it's that im used to the free running in AC or the setup in Uncharted. Either way, looking up for just a few inches despite the fact that I already know I have to jump up due to seeing the jump based on my previous jump is quite annoying after awhile simply because there's no where else to go and thus, having to jump up should be obvious instead of a chore.

As for the perspective in general, im not going to get scared by any game regardless of the perspective at 36 years old. I just think that in regards to several aspects, the game would have been better suited in third person as opposed to first person but to each his own.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Who knows, maybe someday somebody will release a third person camera mode and we'll all be happy.

Sad that you didn't like the game, but each to their own.

Personally, this is one of the few open world games I've enjoyed, but like Dead Island, it's getting repetitive pretty quickly.

With the technology and Rockstar pulling it off in the PS4/Xbox One versions of GTA V, you would think that developers would already be doing the same thing.

I like the game itself. I love the exploration and finding all the items and stuff. I would have preferred there to be no survival instinct though as it would have made the exploring better in my opinion.

Anything worthwhile to know about bleed, fire, electrical and toxic damage? Are they all equally effective against the infected? Are some more effective against humans?

My Google-fu is failing to find me any real details on those damage types.

hawk2025

This is great, but I hope Techland's next game is another Call of Juarez game in the style of Gunslinger, except with greater production values. They were really onto something there.

I agree, Gunslinger is by a wide margin still their best game. What a treat that one was :)

Still debating on getting this. Is it alot better than Dead Island?

Its different, and more streamlined for casual players with less emphasis on RPG and more on straight action.

There are no characters/character classes just a single character with a pretty simplistic skill tree (like Far Cry). So I dont see any replay value there, though having said that the tree does contain many of the moves that various character classes had in prior games. But some skills are clearly superior, so pretty much every player is going to have near identical skills.

They do not show damage numbers or bar graphs on enemies (except certain boss enemies). This is a big downside for me since its impossible to tell how effective your weapons or moves are on the enemies.

There is a big focus on parkour (Mirrors Edge) which levels up in its own right also with its own skilltree. This fits the game quite well, and is well worth levelling because of some awesome skills like drop kicks.

There is day and night modes which are very different, with night playing more like a stealth game.

Many aspects are streamlined like crafting not needing a workbench and you can repair weapons a limited number of times using a resource with a button press.

You can craft a larger number of items, especially throwable weapons.

Story is more serious in tone, eg no Voodoo Bitch.

Its a big open world where you can mostly go where you see, unlike the Dead Island chapters. I like this aspect.

On balance, I prefer Dead Island for the character choice and more RPG elements like visible damage. I still think its a great game for fans of RPG and I was surprised that I like the parkour and verticality/motion of the game given that I did not like Mirrors Edge.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Love the concept and general idea behind Dying Light but just can't get into the perspective. Good game though as it has a lot of the elements that I love in open world games.

And for those who are playing on PS4, here's a first come, first serve redeem code for Being The Zombie as im a single player gamer and have no use for the code.

EK35 - 8FNR - G93C

Enjoy the game everyone. :D

Anything worthwhile to know about bleed, fire, electrical and toxic damage? Are they all equally effective against the infected? Are some more effective against humans?

My Google-fu is failing to find me any real details on those damage types.

I so hope they create a patch with damage numbers. Gets more irritating the more I play. I get they wanted the more realistic look with less distraction, but it should have been an option (off by default). It;s odd when the game has hardcore stats and durability for weapons but you cant see how effective they are.

tuna_love

Banned
Love the concept and general idea behind Dying Light but just can't get into the perspective. Good game though as it has a lot of the elements that I love in open world games.

And for those who are playing on PS4, here's a first come, first serve redeem code for Being The Zombie as im a single player gamer and have no use for the code.

EK35 - 8FNR - G93C

Enjoy the game everyone. :D
It's free for everyone now;)

Enjoying the heck out of this game, but damn they really need to release a patch for the co-op issues on PS4. I play this game with 2 others and one of them constantly gets an error message. Techland hasn't really said anything about this yet, which is surprising to me.

I understand with what you're saying and agree but only to a certain point because if im standing in front of a wall and I have to look up to jump up, I wouldn't have to do that in reality as I would see it. Maybe, it's that im used to the free running in AC or the setup in Uncharted. Either way, looking up for just a few inches despite the fact that I already know I have to jump up due to seeing the jump based on my previous jump is quite annoying after awhile simply because there's no where else to go and thus, having to jump up should be obvious instead of a chore.

Your logic is very, very flawed. If you wanted to jump over a wall you would look at the exact place your hands needed to go just before and during the jump, no-one looks directly at the wall and then jumps above it.

You may prefer third person, but if that's you're reasoning for hating the parkour you need to rethink.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
92% or whatever in story, Rais
just called me out after the museum stuff ans preventing the bombing
, so I assume it's the last mission so I should finish it tomorrow. Also did every sidequest that popped up except 3 fetch ones in the first map because i had moved on by then (I actually have all the coffee for example just cba going back now), but I skipped all the challenges. 30 hours all in all, I feel like I got my money's worth, it was fun

92% or whatever in story, Rais
just called me out after the museum stuff ans preventing the bombing
, so I assume it's the last mission so I should finish it tomorrow. Also did every sidequest that popped up except 3 fetch ones in the first map because i had moved on by then (I actually have all the coffee for example just cba going back now), but I skipped all the challenges. 30 hours all in all, I feel like I got my money's worth, it was fun

last mission is prefaced with
rais says 'meet me at my tower'

Maximo

These side quests are actually pretty well done? In a AAA open-world game?
They are as basic as you will get in a open world zombie game to be honest, at least some of the characters and their little whacky personalities makes it somewhat interesting.

I lost a waypoint marker for one of the "Contact GRE" interludes and can't progress on the main quest. I am definitely tracking it, too. Now I don't know where to go to trigger the GRE conversation. Any ideas?

Edit: Restarting the game fixed it.

antitrop

Got 4/5 quests done with the same 4-player party and someone's game crashed as we were going to turn in the 5th quest.

I fucking hate Techland, sometimes. 2 fucking hours wasted, stupid-ass multiplayer achievements are a sin

mujun

Its different, and more streamlined for casual players with less emphasis on RPG and more on straight action.

There are no characters/character classes just a single character with a pretty simplistic skill tree (like Far Cry). So I dont see any replay value there, though having said that the tree does contain many of the moves that various character classes had in prior games. But some skills are clearly superior, so pretty much every player is going to have near identical skills.

They do not show damage numbers or bar graphs on enemies (except certain boss enemies). This is a big downside for me since its impossible to tell how effective your weapons or moves are on the enemies.

There is a big focus on parkour (Mirrors Edge) which levels up in its own right also with its own skilltree. This fits the game quite well, and is well worth levelling because of some awesome skills like drop kicks.

There is day and night modes which are very different, with night playing more like a stealth game.

Many aspects are streamlined like crafting not needing a workbench and you can repair weapons a limited number of times using a resource with a button press.

You can craft a larger number of items, especially throwable weapons.

Story is more serious in tone, eg no Voodoo Bitch.

Its a big open world where you can mostly go where you see, unlike the Dead Island chapters. I like this aspect.

On balance, I prefer Dead Island for the character choice and more RPG elements like visible damage. I still think its a great game for fans of RPG and I was surprised that I like the parkour and verticality/motion of the game given that I did not like Mirrors Edge.

Pretty much sums up how I feel. I like the improved graphics, step up in production values and the layout/design of the world but I miss the deeper RPG aspects, more complex combat and power I felt in the DI games after levelling up a bit.

Trouble

Banned
Damn these missions keep forcing me out at night. I just want to cower in a safe zone at night, is that too much to ask?

Can you sell or store ammo? Because I can't find it in the inventory but my guy just dropped a bunch of it since I hit some sort of limit.

bedlamite

Props to Techland for some ballsy design decisions, like nighttime actually being dark and leaving fast travel out of the game.

Nighttime isn't so terrifying once you get used to the darkness and move smartly. Once you level yourself up to an expert freerunner in Agility you're practically flying across the map anyway.

Props to Techland for some ballsy design decisions, like nighttime actually being dark and leaving fast travel out of the game.

Nighttime isn't so terrifying once you get used to the darkness and move smartly. Once you level yourself up to an expert freerunner in Agility you're practically flying across the map anyway.

It was a missed mega opportunity though.

Imagine if the volatiles did not have dumb and easily avoided cones of detection shown on the mini-map, and could hear better, but they could only sense you moving fast *line of sight*, or if they get real close.
Then you'd have to stop many times to hide, or freeze, but they would not spot you as easily using their infallible cone of detection.

Because right now moving at night is a game of running+jumping while looking at the mini-map to stay away from the white triangles. It is a bit too simplistic.

I caved into the hype and stopped at GameStop after work to get Dying Light today, and they were out of stock! This is the first time that a PS4 game has been out of stock there a week after release. They even still had new Day Zero editions of Call of Duty. So I set an in-store pickup and I should be getting it tomorrow.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
I caved into the hype and stopped at GameStop after work to get Dying Light today, and they were out of stock! This is the first time that a PS4 game has been out of stock there a week after release. They even still had new Day Zero editions of Call of Duty. So I set an in-store pickup and I should be getting it tomorrow.

I caved as well, but it won't be out on retail until the end of feb so I spent £55 on PSN for it.
I'm such a sucker :/

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
This looks like a lot of fun but I'll probably wait a few more weeks before I decide on getting it for sure.

I'll let you guys beta test it first and see what changes/improvement are made. That's probably going to be my MO for all games going forward.

antitrop

I hope this sells really well as it deserves it

Techland said up to yesterday on facebook there was 1.2 million unique players.

The sad part is, no matter how well it sells, it probably won't even come close to Dead Island, pretty much all because of that initial trailer.

Marketing > Quality

Skulldead

I think the Weapon Damage Progression system is broken. Since level 15 survirvor, i can kill every enemies in a couple of hits. The difficulty past from very challenging to cakewalk.... i'm fine with no scaling (which i really don't like at all). But they clearly didn't test this system at all. They could reduce the damage stat of the weapon by 50%-75% easily. I'm happy for PC gamer that will probably be able to mod. But for PS4 and XbOne user like me are screwed. I'm getting bored, not sure if i will continue, this is kinda sad because the game was great, until that point....

I'm alone ?

hunchback

Stuck already. I know the bumper jumper is the way to go but I'm really having trouble. I'm just trying the first mission after unlocking the first safe zone. I have 2 jumps left to finish the mission. Do you think I can? Nope. One hour on those 2 jumps and still nothing.

Top Bottom