• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

jond76

Banned
I think the Weapon Damage Progression system is broken. Since level 15 survirvor, i can kill every enemies in a couple of hits. The difficulty past from very challenging to cakewalk.... i'm fine with no scaling (which i really don't like at all). But they clearly didn't test this system at all. They could reduce the damage stat of the weapon by 50%-75% easily. I'm happy for PC gamer that will probably be able to mod. But for PS4 and XbOne user like me are screwed. I'm getting bored, not sure if i will continue, this is kinda sad because the game was great, until that point....

I'm alone ?

If I allow myself to get surrounded I will still die. If you have zombies on all sides I find it best to run away. So while I can hack a single zombie dead with one hit now, they can and have taken me out if I'm not careful.

So, I can't really are with you there.

I think the Weapon Damage Progression system is broken. Since level 15 survirvor, i can kill every enemies in a couple of hits. The difficulty past from very challenging to cakewalk.... i'm fine with no scaling (which i really don't like at all). But they clearly didn't test this system at all. They could reduce the damage stat of the weapon by 50%-75% easily. I'm happy for PC gamer that will probably be able to mod. But for PS4 and XbOne user like me are screwed. I'm getting bored, not sure if i will continue, this is kinda sad because the game was great, until that point....

I'm alone ?

I agree 100% if what you say is true (I don't own the game yet).

Unrelated, I found this funny:

1 player
DUALSHOCK®4
1080p HD Video Output
Offline Play Enabled

in regards to maps

I'm 52% through, in Old Town.. is there a third map?
quests are wierd for story %. it's it's a long story mission you'll go from 10% to 30%. Then some short story mission to 35%. Etc etc. So even though you're at the % you say you are maybe you'll do one more turn in and finish that story mission then sudden be +30% done.

Everyone watch this 40 mb gif I got chastised for embedding and edited into a link instead:
http://i.imgur.com/9RcLT5u.gifv

WoolyNinja

This game in co-op with a friend is amazing, probably my favorite online co-op experience ever. The way you can just jump into a friends game is fantastic, its quick, and it just works the way you want it to.

I also think single player is great but just not quite as fun as with a friend. Though I will confess I'm a lot more nervous and cautious playing single player since I don't have someone else watching my back. Won't go out at night alone.

jersoc

She's certainly the most compelling character in the game :p
Good stuff. You can't reason with her though. She gets offended as a job, even when faced with facts. Shes poised to be the next jack Thompson. Shake your head and move on.pretend she doesn't exist.

Jrs3000

I saw earlier someone said you couldn't cut off both arms like dead island. I just want to confirm you can. I've done it. At that point they lean over and try to bite.

DirtyLarry

Damn these missions keep forcing me out at night. I just want to cower in a safe zone at night, is that too much to ask?
I am currently on the one that forces you go out at night, and I just keep putting it off and doing side quests and random shit during the day. The one time I did attempt it I failed miserably and the
bolter kept running away.
Next time I get to play I will finally get the balls to just go ahead and do it, and it is going to feel so damn satisfying once I do.

Just the fact that I, apparently along with others, are hesitant to even go out at night, even if I discover there was no real reason to be hesitant, is truly part of the brilliance of this game imho. The way they have successfully achieved such tension is truly unique and I cannot really recall any other game, at least in recent memory, that made me so damn tense during a specific set of conditions.

This game really is so damn good. I fucking love it, truly and sincerely love it. And was not sure if I would which makes it that much better. And I was no doubt part of the camp, even though the horror genre is my personal favorite, that this may in fact be the game that just truly showcased the fact that zombies are played out and enough was enough already. Instead, I now consider Dying Light to be the quintessential zombie game, the gold standard, and I even played ZombiU on the WiiU, which I still believe is a criminally slept on game. But I ultimately feel Dying Light is even better than it. It pretty much is, for my tastes, the best zombie game ever made, and make no mistake about it, there have been some damn good ones over the years.

jond76

Banned
Another thing I'd like to mention are the interiors. Not the Q-zones, etc., but the interiors of the buildings around the city. Sure it's not every building, but wow, it certainly a leap up from what last Gen had. I feel like there's more than I'll ever get to, and that seems like a good compromise.

Jrs3000

Another thing I'd like to mention are the interiors. Not the Q-zones, etc., but the interiors of the buildings around the city. Sure it's not every building, but wow, it certainly a leap up from what last Gen had. I feel like there's more than I'll ever get to, and that seems like a good compromise.

The interiors are sweet. I feel like I'm really in the apocalypse when I'm running from building scavenging for parts.

Also, zombies can't swim they drown and die. Use that to your advantage in areas with large pools of water!

Just finished the campaign. It's a pretty good game but I don't think it's THAT much better than Dead Island. The parkour is a great addition but I found it to be very janky (as well as many other elements - a Techland tradition at this point). I missed having vehicles and more customizable characters (everyone is a clone in this one).

But I digress, I had a good time with it. Glad I got it for $20.

Looking forward to seeing how Dead Island 2 stacks up!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Good stuff. You can't reason with her though. She gets offended as a job, even when faced with facts. Shes poised to be the next jack Thompson. Shake your head and move on.pretend she doesn't exist.
none of them are well-written.

Man, these side missions are really fun to play through. While most are basically fetch quests, their stories never fail to entertain me. Just recently, did the A Baby Is Born side mission and I couldnt help but laugh at the end where
you find out that there was no baby but a bunch of drunkards!
Another that comes to mind is the Legless Spider sidequest, where
you seem to find the 'source' of the epidemic and turns out it was just all dumb illuminati theorists stuff. Even got that useless gun!

Really memorable stories in here IMO. Of course, the first side mission being the most, if Mama aint happy, aint nobody happy.

tesqui

just found something called "Air Strike" blueprint. Hmm.. Wonder what that's for...

I fucking love the reward of exploring this game. If there's an area of the map greyed out chances are there's something really cool hidden somewhere.

Rnr1224

The interiors look amazing. Really adds to the immersion. I just finished the main quest where you meet the
screamer
for the first time and it scared the shit out of me. Made me panic and run away for a sec for get my bearings!

Panzon

Just finished the 2nd mission.
Holy shit at that big as guy swinging the heavy bar...

Took quite a bit to take him out. So far I'm enjoying the game more and more with the progression. The looting and exploring is fun. I get scared shitless whenever ai get surrounded by a mob but its quite fun running around them as well. Gonna try to play another 2 hrs

Vorheez

What the fuck? How do I get a tissue sample from a boltor? Just tried half a dozen times to get close to one, finally do, and I don't have any prompt to get a sample. Then they all see me and I die.

Corpekata

Banned
I wish the grapple hook had its' own set button. Kinda annoying to toggle around the subweapons for it sometimes. Hope maybe someone mods that in.

hunchback

I feel stupid for asking. How in the heck do you turn on those last 2 lights on your first mission? The last 2 on poles. I have 25 health and have used all my medkits because I'm getting hurt jumping for them. Disabled gamer here. Not as fast as everyone here.

jediyoshi

I feel stupid for asking. How in the heck do you turn on those last 2 lights on your first mission? The last 2 on poles. I have 25 health and have used all my medkits because I'm getting hurt jumping for them. Disabled gamer here. Not as fast as everyone here.

Go into the warehouse. There's a path inside that takes you to the roof.

Trouble

Banned
Man I just did the
pit
main story mission. It's a good thing you can't de-level from dying in this game, lol.

That mission had me feeling like an idiot for a good 10-15 minutes. You can jump to/from the tops of telephone poles, you just can't jump on them from the ground.

Mohonky

Absolutely loving this game. Loved Dead Island but this is a huge improvement. Everything about it feels pretty spot on, its early in the year but this has 'surprise of the year' written all over it.

Question though, really early I got a quest to bring someone a gun, yet outside of NPC's I havent even seen one, do they start becoming a thing you come across?

Voltailes at night, can you eventually become levelled up enough to kill them or are they always just going to maul you?

so lucky i watched a quicklook before buying the game. you jump from the roof

Game is so good that I've finished the main story, and I'm finishing every single side quest, then I'll figure out how to start ng+, and I'm rly looking forward to playing through again ... right away!

Definitely the Skyrim of zombie games.

I still can't believe the low review scores either. Has anyone found any other special weapons like ExpCalibur? I've come across nothing. I like how this game has those visual stories like the last of us, where you may be able to decipher what happened in a home due to the surroundings. Things like that add to the game

It's amazing how insanely fun Be the Zombie is. Shame that it's hidden behind a download, and shame I have troubles getting into games.

Love Spiderman-ing around, and dat last point music.

holy shit, i really need that air strike blueprint!!!
http://www.reddit.com/r/dyinglight/...light_legendary_blueprints_possible_spoilers/

It's amazing how insanely fun Be the Zombie is. Shame that it's hidden behind a download, and shame I have troubles getting into games.

Love Spiderman-ing around, and dat last point music.
I heard that it still quick match joins you to games that are set to 'no invasions please' so it connects you,checks, then disconnects you.

I'm alone ?

I'm level 21 survivor and I have no need for money because it's pointless to buy weps from the vendor since looting police van gives me weps that are base 600 dmg and way overpowered. Going out at night isn't scary anymore since volatiles take at most 2 hits to die.

The core mechanics are solid and a lot of fun, but the loot system and crafting is weak. Loot should be more varied with with unique legendary weps having unique effects. Or let us craft unique weps and items.

It would have been nice if we could have builds in this game. Part of what made dark souls so engaging is seeing how other players built and geared their characters.

I'm alone ?

So your survival level acts as a base damage modifier and whatever weapon equipped adds onto it? If that's not the case couldn't you just impose your own limits on weapons you use to keep it challenging? Again, I don't have the game yet.

I'm level 21 survivor and I have no need for money because it's pointless to buy weps from the vendor since looting police van gives me weps that are base 600 dmg and way overpowered. Going out at night isn't scary anymore since volatiles take at most 2 hits to die.

The core mechanics are solid and a lot of fun, but the loot system and crafting is weak. Loot should be more varied with with unique legendary weps having unique effects. Or let us craft unique weps and items.

It would have been nice if we could have builds in this game. Part of what made dark souls so engaging is seeing how other players built and geared their characters.

I have lots of love for this game but the above criticism is spot-on. I get a feeling durability was more unforgiving originally but they probably moved away from that during development. The thing that messes up the economy is that modded weapons last so long, you only discard them for an upgrade unless you're really sloppy.

Maybe the looting should emphasize upgrades more - your core weapon doesn't 'break' because you've used it 300 times but the mods you've installed in them run out of elemental damage or degrade over time. It makes players more invested in their sidearm of choice and lets you tinker with different weapon 'builds'. If you want to introduce risk that's more fun than your weapon suddenly being useless, have it get stuck in the bodies of zombies during intense melee, forcing you to switch or retrieve it mid-fight.

Top Bottom