• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

derFeef

Night is... not that terrifying but a little frustrating to me. I guess I need to learn the ropes.
If I outrun a group some next get alerted because I make too much noise apparently while jumping and running - and then a new group starts hunting me.

Night is... not that terrifying but a little frustrating to me. I guess I need to learn the ropes.
If I outrun a group some next get alerted because I make too much noise apparently while jumping and running - and then a new group starts hunting me.

I think the key factor is duration of the pursuit, not sound - the game keeps spawning pursuers as long as you're still engaged by zombies, you need to duck completely out of sight for things to quiet down.

Sound is a factor in what kind of pursuers you get but even when you're fairly quiet, a pursuit can escalate quickly if you stay visible to attacking virals.

Hollycat

In the quest to get the bunker under town hall did anyone else come across a unique enemy that resembled a clicker in an elevator filled with blood?

Was this a reference to something? How does the zombie fight with its brain completely missing?

Also, are the sewer plans good for anything?

do me and my friends suck or is invasion one sided in favor of the zombie pre guns?
weapons have infinite durability in invasion. use a rebar from a giant, it will one shot the hunter. EXPcalibur or any of the hidden weapons would probably one-shot, too , but I've never tried. That should help as a lowbie.

In the quest to get the bunker under town hall did anyone else come across a unique enemy that resembled a clicker in an elevator filled with blood?

Was this a reference to something? How does the zombie fight with its brain completely missing?

Also, are the sewer plans good for anything?
I saw someone post on reddit TLOU Reference! witha picture of a clicker. it was probably what you saw. This game has a TON of references and easter eggs. It even has World 1-1, this game is a masterpiece.

SomTervo

I can, tons actually and I wouldn't consider ME or the new Fallouts (yes, even New Vegas) shining examples, tbh in general quest design has become worse and worse over the last ten years or so. Like take a look at Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines, chances are that even its poorer quests are at least as good as the best in DL. But since I don't want to complain too much let's just say that Dying Light is a huge step forward compared to Dead Island and traversing the environment (especially in the second zone) is so much fun that even simple fetch tasks don't feel like a chore.

Really good shout on V:TM. I wasn't saying that DL categorically has the best quests ever (despite a couple I think are that good), but that it has better quests than a lot of games.

I know lots of people who worship ME and Fallout's quests, so I referenced those in this case. There are other games with quests better than those or DL though, deffo.

This game really is so damn good. I fucking love it, truly and sincerely love it. And was not sure if I would which makes it that much better. And I was no doubt part of the camp, even though the horror genre is my personal favorite, that this may in fact be the game that just truly showcased the fact that zombies are played out and enough was enough already. Instead, I now consider Dying Light to be the quintessential zombie game, the gold standard, and I even played ZombiU on the WiiU, which I still believe is a criminally slept on game. But I ultimately feel Dying Light is even better than it. It pretty much is, for my tastes, the best zombie game ever made, and make no mistake about it, there have been some damn good ones over the years.

Yes, this is exactly how I feel. I binged too much and am starting to get a little bored with it, but this is after 20+ hours of pure zombie apocalypse freedom and bliss

IGN review 8.5

Hats off to IGN for actually taking their time with this game. Both the review and the score are spot on imo.

Also DL facebook posted this:

10842124_530666783743039_7202680076155497698_o.jpg

NEWS FLASH:
We checked our servers today. From the moment Dying Light got released right-up until yesterday we had over 1,200,000 unique players.

That's a lot of piles of dead zombies...

I guess it's selling well despite WB fuck up with distribution.

Kard8p3

Question regarding the ending..

What happens to Brecken? The last I remember of him is right before you go to the 2nd map, and then he just disappears, he isn't even at the tower at the end. Edit: Spike too kind of just dropped off the face of the earth

Hollycat

Question regarding the ending..

What happens to Brecken? The last I remember of him is right before you go to the 2nd map, and then he just disappears, he isn't even at the tower at the end. Edit: Spike too kind of just dropped off the face of the earth

Spike moves to the tower. You can get items from him still. Brecken basically fades away. He was a minor character to begin with, and what with Crane becoming machete jesus, people stop paying attention to him.

Spike moves to the tower. You can get items from him still. Brecken
basically fades away
. He was a minor character to begin with, and what with Crane becoming machete jesus, people stop paying attention to him.

Hmm, it could be that he was never that important but I have a feeling something was cut. There's just this general vibe that
Bracken
was supposed to die at some point in the narrative but instead he just ups and disappears, apparently forgotten by everybody.

Even a less significant character from a sidequest (
Duwat
) gets a complete arc with several beats.

One of the best games I have ever experienced with the atmosphere, music, vibe, intense feeling, every interior having a small story. I am a slow open world gamer in which I take my time and scavenge each room, look around, see what the little notes, books, and other things in the rooms say on them.

The game has done a tremendous job on upgrading the player and setting the scene for the player. Love it and can't wait to continue playing after work. Only 50 percent of story and a couple side quests as the game distracts you all the time, having put in about 60 hours already, just taking my time and enjoying a great game...

DocSeuss

1) learn to disguise yourself as a zombie
2) firecrackers are incredible
3) grappling hook
4) night vision postion, survivor sense

Spike moves to the tower. You can get items from him still. Brecken basically fades away. He was a minor character to begin with, and what with Crane becoming machete jesus, people stop paying attention to him.

What's neat is when you wake up at the base Spike moves to after his first move, and there are zombies everywhere, so they've cut off from shore and are just on the houseboat. Nobody remarks on this. That base is just kinda destroyed, and all that's left is the houseboat. It's a cool little bit of storytelling.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
At least Crane becoming a hero makes sense in the context of the game this time around. He's a special agent, not some college kid who gets super powers from magic tattoos. It makes sense that the guy with a ton of training would stand out in a field populated by struggling entrepreneurs and minor athletes.

Yeah, the military type dude is overused, but it at least makes sense here.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I had a moment that made me absolute shit myself the other day

Basically I was running about and was pottering beside a building

BOOM!

The fucking building exploded and two zombies jumped down beside on flames and started attacked. Then whilst dealing with them...

BOOM!

A fucking zombie comes flying out of a sewer manhole right beside me which nearly made me drop my controller.

I fought them off and was then on my way

It was a brilliant moment and one of the best genuine shock jumps I've had in ages whilst playing a game

derFeef

I LOVE when I can get one of the big dudes slam his club into an exploding barrel, or mow down strolling zombies, haha.

1) learn to disguise yourself as a zombie
2) firecrackers are incredible
3) grappling hook
4) night vision postion, survivor sense

What do you mean with 1?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I LOVE when I can get one of the big dudes slam his club into an exploding barrel, or mow down strolling zombies, haha.

What do you mean with 1?

It's a skill tree perk for survivor I believe. I have it and it's awesome :) Once you've killed a zombie you get two options 'search' and 'camouflage', basically your character rubs zombie goo over themselves and you can run around without zombies attacking you for a bit. There's a skill after that which lets you kill zombies whilst camouflaged too.

Skulldead

So your survival level acts as a base damage modifier and whatever weapon equipped adds onto it? If that's not the case couldn't you just impose your own limits on weapons you use to keep it challenging? Again, I don't have the game yet.

Survival level decide the "level\type" of the weapon loot you get from every lock pick loot, and vendor. Sure i could always only use weapon that drop by random enemies, but this is not how the game was meant to be played. I like that idea, it just the power of the weapon just grow up out of proportion.

Here a example : 1 blue/purple Double Hand sword around level 20 with 700 damage power(no upgrade) is 7 times more powerful then a level 10 legendary bat (about 110~120).... And normal zombie seem to have about 100~200 HP. BIg one seem to have 800~1000, perhaps more, but they pass from challenging to a slice in the butter, I just rush, and it's over.

Catdaddy

Does survival level determine the level of enemies? Went toe to toe with a viral and came up on the losing end but he was all over the place and was tough to hit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I still can't believe the low review scores either. Has anyone found any other special weapons like ExpCalibur? I've come across nothing. I like how this game has those visual stories like the last of us, where you may be able to decipher what happened in a home due to the surroundings. Things like that add to the game
The game is stuffed to the gills with stuff like this... some scenarios are more subtle and tougher to puzzle out than others, while some are immediately recognizable.

Feels pretty eerie, and real, running full speed into a house and being frozen in my tracks by this (random "out in the world" spoiler): https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B80mKvSCEAA6osX.jpg:large

And knowing what I'll find if I just looked down... was my first gun.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The game is stuffed to the gills with stuff like this... some scenarios are more subtle and tougher to puzzle out than others, while some are immediately recognizable.

Feels pretty eerie, and real, running full speed into a house and being frozen in my tracks by this (random "out in the world" spoiler): https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B80mKvSCEAA6osX.jpg:large

And knowing what I'll find if I just looked down... was my first gun.

There is one house in the second part where there is a small kids room with a dismembered bloody pile of zombie. In the main room there is dead guy clutching a picture frame of his family, with son, and an open bottle of pills.

Also, the saga of Mike. :(

These things are great little bits of storytelling. Nothing exceptionally new, but it adds to the world and breaks up the spiderman antics quite a bit.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
What's the deal with this game? It's out for Steam but Amazon and everywhere else says it's a pre-order and not out yet. It's £40 on Steam and I can't afford that, around £20 would be more reasonable for a PC game.

Getting conflicting results, PSN apparently has the game to download right now, but Amazon and online retailers are saying 27th of February.

Need some clarification here.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The game is "out" right now in digital format but not on physical disk.

Which is really annoying because the digital copy is nearly 2x the price. £24.99 on Amazon or £40 on Steam. It seems they're really milking the psychical delay.

How do I get into the gas station safe house? There is a dude on top with a rifle that I killed, and what looks like a trap door down, but I can't open it or break it.

It's just to the east of the radio tower with the old guy and his son.

Edit: I got it, I just had to be at the right angle.

I hope its an expansion with a new story and characters, and not some hoard mode or something.

Didn't all the DLC get outlined when the Season Pass was revealed? Or, at least all of the planned DLC.

From IGN:

The first pack, titled Cuisine & Cargo, will be available first to Season Pass holders and offers two missions designed to challenge players. You'l investigate buildings sealed off during the first days of the outbreak, with the infected still inside. Gameplay will apparently mix both stealth and combat as you comb through an abandoned railroad yard.

The Ultimate Survivor Bundle, meanwhile, will offer seven in-game items, including three outfits and four weapon blueprints. Finally, The Bozak Horde bundle brings with it a new map for both single-player and co-op modes that lets you inside the Harran Stadium and tasks you with fending off waves of Infected.

Sounds more like challenge stuff than anything substantial

Just an FYI everyone might already know this I dunno- In co op the higher level players can drop the high damage weapons they find and the lower level guys can see them and pick them up. I've been hooking up my pals who had sub-200 damage stuff to all new 600-800dmg weapons just by dropping the gear I find in vans and chests etc for them.

Lrrr

Just an FYI everyone might already know this I dunno- In co op the higher level players can drop the high damage weapons they find and the lower level guys can see them and pick them up. I've been hooking up my pals who had sub-200 damage stuff to all new 600-800dmg weapons just by dropping the gear I find in vans and chests etc for them.

Do the higher level weapons stay at their dmg level or do they scale down? I remember doing something similar with a buddy in Dead Island and the weapon dmg would scale down to his lower level.

Do the higher level weapons stay at their dmg level or do they scale down? I remember doing something similar with a buddy in Dead Island and the weapon dmg would scale down to his lower level.

They stayed at the higher damage and they were able to modify them up as well.

hunchback

Man I just did the
pit
main story mission. It's a good thing you can't de-level from dying in this game, lol.

That mission had me feeling like an idiot for a good 10-15 minutes. You can jump to/from the tops of telephone poles, you just can't jump on them from the ground.

Thank you everyone for the help. I finally did it but it took 2 hours. My hands are messed up from Arthritis and the bumper jumper layout is tough for me. I absolutely love the game.

Top Bottom