• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

TheFatMan

About 7 hours into the game and I'm still terrified to go outside at night....other than the one time the game forced me to....

I have to say the game does a great job of making you nervous.

mujun

The game ties all of that up in pretty convincing ways, I thought. Like I said, it just takes a while.

I bet Arthur hasn't played very much of it, because also like I said, the beginning is sorta rocky and really leads on like it isn't going anywhere.

True. That can also be exacerbated by doing a long run of side missions. Makes you forgot what the hell you are doing main story wise.

Grazzt

This game might be one of the best zombie games I've ever played. Co-op is so much fun. I also like the design of the world. There are some really good side quests too. I just can't understand why gamespot only gave it a 7.

willbsn13

Man this game is awesome fun! One question (probably already asked a million times), my mate is getting this game soon and I'm a little bit further in the story than him obviously. When we play co-op together, if I join his game, will I keep my better loot, money and skill tree unlocks? Will that effect my single player progress? Also, If I get loot in his game, will that transfer to my game?

This game might be one of the best zombie games I've ever played. Co-op is so much fun. I also like the design of the world. There are some really good side quests too. I just can't understand why gamespot only gave it a 7.
The Dead Island series has always received those kinds of scores. Dying Light is more of a revised DI than anything (doing some things better and some things worse), but the revisions don't make it an entirely different game. Even though I never agreed with the DI reviews (I enjoyed the games quite a bit), I can see why Dying Light is reviewing similarly.

if I am 1 mission ahead of my friend, join his game and then continue past where I'm at, will it update my mission progress?

It will. It's also possible to skip past some of the game by joining someone in the same mission who is further along it than you are; it will still mark you as complete even if you missed the first parts. Fairly sure I missed several side missions completely because of this when someone in my group did the turn in step on a mission I had, but hadn't started yet.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I liked playing Dead Island, but auto leveling made playing it a chore as the game went on. Does this have auto leveling?

mujun

The Dead Island series has always received those kinds of scores. Dying Light is more of a revised DI than anything (doing some things better and some things worse), but the revisions don't make it an entirely different game. Even though I never agreed with the DI reviews (I enjoyed the games quite a bit), I can see why Dying Light is reviewing similarly.

I don't agree. While I probably prefer Dead Island (It has more RPG elements) I think that this game is a much more polished and well put together experience. It improves on Dead Island in many ways and the things it loses are more subjective changes rather than steps back or negatives.

Ruff

Is this game fun to play solo? I played Dead Island 1 with a friend and enjoyed it despite the flaws, but I won't have anyone to Co-op this one with, which was half of the fun.

antitrop

Is this game fun to play solo? I played Dead Island 1 with a friend and enjoyed it despite the flaws, but I won't have anyone to Co-op this one with, which was half of the fun.
Yes, definitely. But you can also spice it up a little bit by allowing yourself to be invaded by online Night Hunters during the night time, if you like. They also give you a few temporary friends to fight it with.

I don't agree. While I probably prefer Dead Island (It has more RPG elements) I think that this game is a much more polished and well put together experience. It improves on Dead Island in many ways and the things it loses are more subjective changes rather than steps back or negatives.
The loss of actual character customization is an absolute step back. Every co-op partner is a clone in this game - in DI, depending on the character your partner chooses, s/he had different strengths, abilities, and weapon skills.
As for "more polished", only because the original Steam version of DI was a dev build. :p But seriously, it's as janky and buggy as nearly every other Techland game I've played. I can't even complete the quarantine zone trophy. People are avoiding co-op to prevent progression loss crashes. Etc

Like I said I think they're both great games but I don't think one is necessarily better than the other, and again, the reviews seem to agree with that sentiment.

FartOfWar

Banned
The game ties all of that up in pretty convincing ways, I thought. Like I said, it just takes a while.

I bet Arthur hasn't played very much of it, because also like I said, the beginning is sorta rocky and really leads on like it isn't going anywhere.

This was in response to one of the lines in his review:

"Contrary to assertions in some reviews, player mobility in Dying Light is far from clunky. It doesn't dazzle like, say, Assassin's Creed, but nor is it automated as it is in that series. Instead of providing seamless, uninterrupted movement by default, it demands player input and environmental awareness. It's character will not perform for players; players must perform, must imagine their next moves, as if bouncing along large rocks on a breakwater. And unlike Mirror's Edge with its puzzle path design (ME always struck me as a bipedal Stuntman in which we perform for a director who averages 50 takes a scene and who hasn't shown the script to his cast), Dying Light affords improvisation. Your performance is not an automated system's, not the designer's. It's yours. Like Tony Hawk, like Bayonetta, like Devil May Cry, Dying Light is conducive to flow."

My player statistics never update when you check them ( from main menu go to extras). Has this happened to anyone else?

I'll see if the latest patch fixes it.

Edit: put on ps4 checked for update and nothing. Shows that I'm on 01.100. Hmm

"Contrary to assertions in some reviews, player mobility in Dying Light is far from clunky. It doesn't dazzle like, say, Assassin's Creed, but nor is it automated as it is in that series. Instead of providing seamless, uninterrupted movement by default, it demands player input and environmental awareness. It's character will not perform for players; players must perform, must imagine their next moves, as if bouncing along large rocks on a breakwater. And unlike Mirror's Edge with its puzzle path design (ME always struck me as a bipedal Stuntman in which we perform for a director who averages 50 takes a scene and who hasn't shown the script to his cast), Dying Light affords improvisation. Your performance is not an automated system's, not the designer's. It's yours. Like Tony Hawk, like Bayonetta, like Devil May Cry, Dying Light is conducive to flow."

I agree with that

antitrop

Very well put. I feel the same way about it, it's such a thrill to actually have to think about your next move at such a rapid and aggressive pace. Far more rewarding than Assassin's Creed could ever hope to be. Different goals.

Arthur also complained about the lack of fast travel, a common complaint to be sure, but if they had it in there, you would never level up your Agility skills. At the end of the game, I was 23/24/24. Were fast travel to have been a thing, probably would have been something more like 23/10/24.

I suppose you could complain about the lack of a possible fast travel option at max Agility level, which might not have been a bad idea. Maybe limit it to only safehouses.

I believe the basic movement system is too valuable to this game to throw away with a menu, and objectives seemed far more reasonably spaced to me than they did to him. Usually never more than a few hundred meters to travel at a time, 700+ rarely.

I'm not done with Dying Light yet but I'm already thinking about what's next for the series. So I watched the first Dead Island 2 gameplay video, hoping to see what I can expect from Techland's next zombie game, but it looks boring now compared to Dying Light.

Of course it's still too early to judge, but IMO, the only things Dead Island had going for it over Dying Light were the RPG element, more variety in weapon crafting, and 4 different classes in co-op. But I'm not sure I would trade the parkour gameplay for any of that. What can be added to Dead Island 2 to make it a franchise worth exploring and continuing than Dying Light? Perhaps if DI2 goes completely OTT in a Dead Rising sort of way? I honestly don't know what they can do with DI2 to make it special.

But my ideal direction for the next game, would be a new Dying Light x State of Decay game. DL nailed the survival aspect of being a lone runner out in a zombie infested world, scavenging for supplies and staying alive. The next game can expand on that and make you in charge of the survival of a whole community like State of Decay. More interaction with the survivors at the Tower, build relationships with them, save the lone survivors and bring them into your camp (so disappointed that the survivors you save in DL just run away after they got rescued by you), make the player responsible for the life and death of a whole community, rather than just an errand boy.

EDIT: Thanks for the corrections below.

antitrop

Dead Island 2 is from the Spec Ops: The Line peoples. I'm in just because of that, but yeah, gonna be interesting to see how it shakes up next to this one, for sure.

MacBosse

Techland aren't making Dead Island 2. Their next game is Hellraid, though that'll probably smaller in scale.

I have always enjoyed Techlands games (CoJ:The Cartel very much excluded, I mean the fuck?) so I'll be all over Hellraid. Dying light is really awesome and I can't wait what this developer does next.

antitrop

I have always enjoyed Techlands games (CoJ:The Cartel very much excluded, I mean the fuck?) so I'll be all over Hellraid. Dying light is really awesome and I can't wait what this developer does next.

CoJ: Bound in Blood was the first TL game I played, and I ended up really liking most of it. Then Dead Island didn't do anything for me, at all. And CoJ: Gunslinger is one of the best FPS games of the last several years, absolutely out of nowhere. And this is a big hit, as well. So they're 3/4, for me, and that's good enough.

They still need to work on their reputation for excessively buggy games.

red731

Haven't had any luck getting my custom soundtrack to play with this via PS4's USB player. Is it just me?

Saw someone on reddit with the same problem.
I don't have the game on PS4, but hopefully they'll open this option.
Doing crazy ish while listetning to some dubstep is awesome.

ed: Also dat main menu theme
sourpls.gif
sourpls.gif

repeating that all day err'day

Corpekata

Banned
The story is absolutely not atrocious. Actually above average, as far as video games go, I would say. Definitely better than Far Cry 4's, or Dead Island, or any of the Dead Risings... or Resident Evil 5 or 6... or Mirror's Edge...

There aren't a lot of games out there that you can directly compare to Dying Light that have it coming out looking markedly worse in storytelling. I would say it's actually a little bit better than it even needed to be, for a somewhat co-op multiplayer focused game.

The story is okay and some of the sidequests are pretty inspired... but the dialogue is absolutely 100% atrocious. I get a feeling this was written by people who don't have English as a first language and/or no background in writing dialogue - characters construct weird sentences with cute 'clever' wordplay that probably reads better than it sounds, profanity at odd moments and exposition spread over many sentences when a few would do. The main voice actors make the best of it but the writing really doesn't help.

The cheesiness does offset the grimdark of the game but I'm pretty sure it's unintentional more often than not.

antitrop

The story is okay and some of the sidequests are pretty inspired... but the dialogue is absolutely 100% atrocious. I get a feeling this was written by people who don't have English as a first language and/or no background in writing dialogue - characters construct weird sentences with cute 'clever' wordplay that probably reads better than it sounds, profanity at odd moments and exposition spread over many sentences when a few would do. The main voice actors make the best of it but the writing really doesn't help.

The cheesiness does offset the grimdark of the game but I'm pretty sure it's unintentional more often than not.

Still better than Call of Duty.

and a better love story than Twilight

jfoul

I'm having a lot of fun playing against prey invading my game. The UV light is very powerful against the hunter.

Anyone have this issue with your view slowly moving in another direction. Like I don't touch my right stick but it starts drifting. I thought it might be the controller but no other game shows this.

This has got to be one of the ugliest current gen games I have seen.

Last gen assets, horrible facial animations, lacklustre textures paired with obnoxious lighting/lens flare and a nice piss filter. Terrible IQ and Pop-in are an added bonus. WOW!
Makes me wonder why they could not release a last gen version, this is basically Dead Island with some added annoying effects.

tuna_love

Banned

Last gen assets, horrible facial animations, lacklustre textures paired with obnoxious lighting/lens flare and a nice piss filter. Terrible IQ and Pop-in are an added bonus. WOW!
Makes me wonder why they could not release a last gen version, this is basically Dead Island with some added annoying effects.
WOW!

Mohonky

Just got the grappling hook, holy shit, completely changes traversing the environment. Game keeps getting better and better.

Getting used to running round at night, starting to get decent weapons, loving the perks they added to the game like stealth instant kills and traps. If this came out last year it would epbe up there for a higher GOTY contender for me for sure. Just enjoying it so much, nothing ever feels like a chore despite the way the games structure could easily have fallen into monotony. Just cant stop playing it. Had a brief coop run last night and that was a ball too.

I can understand some reviewers giving maybe a 7 for the score, but seeing lower than that I cant help but wonder wtf those people were thinking.

Also enjoying the lead characters commentary. Dunno what the story line is like because I have largely not touched it because of side missions but the main characters comments to some of the side characters makes me laugh.

I am mostly playing solo because I dont want to jump into a game with someone further into the story and having no problems enjoying it.

This is going to go down as one of the most critically underrated games in quite some time I think...and as much as I hate to don the tinfoil, it's hard for me to think that the lack of early review copies is just a coincidence.

xkramz

Is gameplay not important nowadays ?

skybald

Game is so fun I haven't noticed anything wrong with the visuals yet.

Corpekata

Banned
Guy manages to dodge both of my melee swings but I manged to get the last one to connect. Combat is awesome in other words.

Don't really see how this shows combat is awesome. If anything it shows off one of the weak points of the game, the frankly seemingly random dodging / blocking of the human enemies.

jediyoshi

Are you 100% certain you weren't actually confused and just looking at Dead Island

It looks great on my high end PC with that CA and noise filter removed and some sweetfx added to it.

Top Bottom