• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

There is a pretty cool safe zone at the top of one of the suspension bridge towers, from it you can zip line or run down the cable to the middle bridge section where there is a quarantine checkpoint that is loaded with supplies, police vans etc. I think one of the quests take you out there as well.

Also, for fighting off human enemies, try swiping at their feet. They didn't seem to be able to block and dodge me as effectively when I was doing it.

There is a pretty cool safe zone at the top of one of the suspension bridge towers, from it you can zip line or run down the cable to the middle bridge section where there is a quarantine checkpoint that is loaded with supplies, police vans etc. I think one of the quests take you out there as well.

Also, for fighting off human enemies, try swiping at their feet. They didn't seem to be able to block and dodge me as effectively when I was doing it.
On that note, humans can't handle a broken leg. So slide kicking skill one shot kills humans. They usually dodge it though.

Well I personally think the game looks really nice on consoles.

I took some screenshots (PS4):

rFTv6U3.jpg
AHbfiMH.jpg

E1ciR9S.jpg
nY2VPcy.jpg

E18Nfp0.jpg
L268PJM.jpg

jalTL05.jpg
HbOuoB9.jpg

QcCgt7i.jpg
AFfitjb.jpg

Majmun

This game is so much fun. 17hours in and I've only completed 12% of the main story. The side-quests can be quite fun.

And I'm only playing this in singleplayer. Having a great time.

antitrop

So is the PS4 version pretty solid...meaning it keeps a constant 30fps with no image tearing? I know the view distance isn't on par with PC but I am fine with that.

lol, not even close. Image tearing isn't a problem, but the framerate is pretty much a mess from my 40 hours with the PS4 version.

The Digital Foundry analysis is misleading, because the farther you get through the game and through the upgrade tree, the harder it is for the engine to keep up with how fast you can move around, and how much chaos you can very easily create.

4 player online co-op was a slideshow. I could only bear it to get the "Polyamory" Trophy.

PC version is absolutely the way to go, I only got it on PS4 because of the Gamestop pricing error.

53 percent story done, level 13 everything, tons of really good weapons & over 100K cash lost. I even went and talked to an NPC before getting off the game for the night. Is there really no way to get your stuff back? /: Don't want to have to grind to get back everything again. PS4 version by the way.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
lol, not even close. Image tearing isn't a problem, but the framerate is pretty much a mess from my 40 hours with the PS4 version.

The Digital Foundry analysis is misleading, because the farther you get through the game and through the upgrade tree, the harder it is for the engine to keep up with how fast you can move around, and how much chaos you can very easily create.

4 player online co-op was a slideshow. I could only bear it to get the Trophy.

PC version is absolutely the way to go, I only got it on PS4 because of the Gamestop pricing error.

Molotov Cocktails destroy performance. Destroy.

antitrop

Molotov Cocktails destroy performance. Destroy.

Yup, this engine hates fire effects.

I wish they could somehow patch the human AI to make fighting them a better experience.

I believe the 1.01 (or maybe 1.02) patch notes mentioned a major upgrade to human AI. So I can't even imagine what it was like without the day 1 patch. I enjoyed fighting the humans throughout the game, though.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I would like to go on record to say how fucking surprised I was with this game. Dead Island was ok to me. Nothing bad, nothing really too good but it was fun to dick around a few hours with friends. This game, though. Damn. I am especially impressed by the amazing sense of progression and legit well designed side content. Great stuff from techland, they made a real winner.

antitrop

I would like to go on record to say how fucking surprised I was with this game. Dead Island was ok to me. Nothing bad, nothing really too good but it was fun to dick around a few hours with friends. This game, though. Damn. I am especially impressed by the amazing sense of progression and legit well designed side content. Great stuff from techland, they made a real winner.

I'm with you. I still like Gunslinger better, though. :)

Anyone able to tell me what the max levels are for survival, agility and power?

I cant seem to find out and am curious.

25/24/24

Cragvis

Anyone able to tell me what the max levels are for survival, agility and power?

I cant seem to find out and am curious.

I don't even need Zombies in this game to have fun, though they do provide plenty of motivation to stay on the move. The parkour just keeps getting better and better as you skill up.

Still wish I could use custom music though. This is the only game I've played on the PS4 that doesn't seem to support it and I have no idea why that would be the case.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I don't even need Zombies in this game to have fun, though they do provide plenty of motivation to stay on the move. The parkour just keeps getting better and better as you skill up.

Still wish I could use custom music though. This is the only game I've played on the PS4 that doesn't seem to support it and I have no idea why that would be the case.

The game OST is 2stronk so they cut out custom music.

Cragvis

Thanks Antitrop.

I joined a multiplayer group last night to knock out the multiplayer trophies and ended up leveling a few times up to like 9/8/11 and was worried I would end up reaching the cap well before I finish the game.

I just love to have that motivation of getting exp to keep going on, so the more leveling the better to me. 24 is a ways off so I should be fine.

antitrop

Thanks Antitrop.

I joined a multiplayer group last night to knock out the multiplayer trophies and ended up leveling a few times up to like 9/8/11 and was worried I would end up reaching the cap well before I finish the game.

I just love to have that motivation of getting exp to keep going on, so the more leveling the better to me. 24 is a ways off so I should be fine.

I reached max Power level first, then Agility shortly after, and then Survivor a LOOOONNNGGG time after.

Reaching all 3 max levels is totally worth it, though.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The entire end segment is basically the worst thing ever. As great as the rest of the game was, the last parts from the beginning of the sewer on was as terrible on the opposite end of the spectrum. Open world games have got to do better at ending the campaigns. Absolute fucking rubbish. Shame, too, because other than that the game was fantastic. Sucks that it had to end on such a shit note.

The entire end segment is basically the worst thing ever. As great as the rest of the game was, the last parts from the beginning of the sewer on was as terrible on the opposite end of the spectrum. Open world games have got to do better at ending the campaigns. Absolute fucking rubbish. Shame, too, because other than that the game was fantastic. Sucks that it had to end on such a shit note.

Can you explain a bit more what you didn't like about it? If I recall most people who have made it that far haven't had those same thoughts mentioned.

antitrop

The ending is appropriately the most complicated parkour and vertical scaling section of the entire game, I thought it was a total blast.
QTE final boss battle
aside, it was surprisingly better than I expected it to be.

WanderingWind

Can you explain a bit more what you didn't like about it? If I recall most people who have made it that far haven't had those same thoughts mentioned.

Not without getting into spoiler territory. But despite what antirop says, it's a flat, repetitive, dull segment that does that thing where all the rules of the game are thrown out of the window in favor of instadeaths, luck based success,
QTEs and long, boring exposition. And it fails to even attempt at closing up any bit of the story.
It just...ends. Nothing.

antitrop

I don't know what "luck based success" means,
there's only one QTE that I can remember, and I mentioned it. As for the story, Rais is dead, Crane successfully recovers the data files that Dr. Camden needs to potentially make a cure. The GRE are exposed as true villains, leaving room for exploration in a sequel/prequel. What more needs to be tied up?

WanderingWind

I don't know what "luck based success" means,
there's only one QTE that I can remember, and I mentioned it. As for the story, Rais is dead, Crane successfully recovers the data files that Dr. Camden needs to potentially make a cure. What more needs to be tied up?

It means
that if you run down the flat, one direction corridor, the flaws in the parkour system become readily apparent without the safety net of the roll, ledge grabs or even the grappling hook if necessary (herp, ur exhausted, derp). If you manage to get hit by the monsters you can't really avoid fully (did about 10 ten times, there is only one direction you can go, there is only one speed to sprint) you can get knocked off a jump and fall 3 feet to what now causes death. You get the discs and magically Camden has them and "oh, maybe one day a cure will happen dunno lol. BUT THIS IS WHERE I BELONG. Before that, you climb a couple of flights of stairs, then 4 ladders in succession. Then a series of QTEs.

Once again, i
t takes everything you've learned, done and gathered up to that point, removes it all and gives you a new set of rules. Now, falling just a couple of feet is death. Now, you can't use some of your equipment. Now, instead of an awesome parkour climb, you get to run down a corridor and then across a couple of beams, take a long elevator up (where the character says "oh come on already, hurry up") climb some stairs, go across some beams again, run across a crane then climb another ladder. Then QTE after QTE after zzzzz.

It's shite.

antitrop

It's not the best thing ever, but I can only compare it to its competition, and I thought the ending moments of Dying Light were far better than other stuff I've completed recently: Advanced Warfare, Far Cry 4, The Evil Within, Grand Theft Auto V, Shadow of Mordor, among others.

Video game endings are terrible in general, Dying Light was at least somewhat above average in that area, for me.

Cragvis

I find myself just itching to get home and play more just to see more minor changes to my weapons as they break apart and get repaired. lol

I love getting a weapon and using it fully throughout its repairs knowing I put it to good use. Something about it triggers my OCD.

JodokusK

It means
that if you run down the flat, one direction corridor, the flaws in the parkour system become readily apparent without the safety net of the roll, ledge grabs or even the grappling hook if necessary (herp, ur exhausted, derp). If you manage to get hit by the monsters you can't really avoid fully (did about 10 ten times, there is only one direction you can go, there is only one speed to sprint) you can get knocked off a jump and fall 3 feet to what now causes death. You get the discs and magically Camden has them and "oh, maybe one day a cure will happen dunno lol. BUT THIS IS WHERE I BELONG. Before that, you climb a couple of flights of stairs, then 4 ladders in succession. Then a series of QTEs.

Once again, i
t takes everything you've learned, done and gathered up to that point, removes it all and gives you a new set of rules. Now, falling just a couple of feet is death. Now, you can't use some of your equipment. Now, instead of an awesome parkour climb, you get to run down a corridor and then across a couple of beams, take a long elevator up (where the character says "oh come on already, hurry up") climb some stairs, go across some beams again, run across a crane then climb another ladder. Then QTE after QTE after zzzzz.

It's shite.

I fully agree with this, and I absolutely love the rest of the game.

My review is up here (it's in Dutch though). We don't use a scoring system, but I can't imagine Dying Light not being one of my favorite games in 2015.

c0Zm1c

I finished it earlier and was shaking my head at that
final sequence of QTEs. It was such a terrible way to do the final showdown. You're basically fighting Rais hand-to-hand, something you've been doing frequently throughout the whole game with other enemies, so to reduce that to a series of button prompts - and not, say, step it up a notch and give you a tougher enemy to tackle up close in regular gameplay - feels like a huge copout.

(I hate QTEs in most games though, so I am biased.)

I loved most of the rest of the game though.

I hope more games do the first person Parkour thing.

Is this the first game since Mirror's Edge to do it?

Not counting stuff like Titanfall, of course.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The OST for this game is so God damn surprisingly good. I really can't believe it. The music during some of the story missions really stands out the most, there's some great stuff here.

I did the school story mission last night. I wish I knew what track that was because I would be listening to it right now.

Top Bottom