• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Why is this game so good? I just love it. I can't remember the last time a game gripped me so tightly.

Techland needs to hire someone to proofread they're subtitles

VuIoGDp.jpg

Hahahaha, that's awesome that you criticized their error and then made one of your own.

there vs. they're vs. their... super-simple stuff...

co-op with randoms once you get into the second area has become less fun, mainly because most people in the game by then have ridiculous weapons and seem really intent on giving them away (why is that? I don't really want someone to wreck the difficulty curve by convincing me to take a weapon that does 1000+ damage).

So there is no jeopardy or need to work together. Many have also completed the story and are just mucking around.

DukeBobby

One may slap me for this, but it's way better implemented than in every AC game so far - although, I acknowledge the core differences in both game mechanics.

I don't see why anyone would disagree with you. Assassin's Creed has terrible parkour. You just hold down one button and the game does all the work for you.

Holy shit, the Quarantine Zones are the best parts of this game. Each one is so good and so unique.

Just finished the apartment building QZ in Old Town and it was a sublime horror experience, one I'll remember for a very long time.

Anung

Un Rama
Holy shit, the Quarantine Zones are the best parts of this game. Each one is so good and so unique.

Just finished the apartment building QZ in Old Town and it was a sublime horror experience, one I'll remember for a very long time.

For real. When this game wants to be like Condemned it shows. One of the basements bits legit shit me up.

jond76

Banned
Very near the beginning an enemy has one on top of a building. Kill him and take it. It ends up being the strongest gun in the game. Luckily guns don't break either.

Not really.
After I left for Old Town, I can back to finish up some stuff. I found a vendor in the slums who sold me a double barrel shotgun. Has like 1500 damage.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Can someone explain why the PS4 SKU has a 73 and the PC SKU has an 80 average on MetaCritic?

What is so much better about the PC SKU? I've seen some screen comparisons, and other than some distant LOD objects, they were pretty much identical... and the frame rate maintains a pretty decent 30fps on the PS4 from what I've played so far...

Does the PC have better online matchmaking? That's a pretty big gap...

Fury451

Banned
One may slap me for this, but it's way better implemented than in every AC game so far - although, I acknowledge the core differences in both game mechanics.

I would agree though- yes they are different games, but there's a precision to this parkour that AC has always lacked. True, some of it probably has to do with it being in first person, but I find it hard to believe that a company with 8 kajillion people like Ubisoft can't figure out a way to implement this type of movement control in 3rd.

AEREC

Can someone explain why the PS4 SKU has a 73 and the PC SKU has an 80 average on MetaCritic?

What is so much better about the PC SKU? I've seen some screen comparisons, and other than some distant LOD objects, they were pretty much identical... and the frame rate maintains a pretty decent 30fps on the PS4 from what I've played so far...

Why not...its more modifiable and you have more control options. It's decently optimized on PC so any decent gaming PC should be able to run it at the same framerate and visuals as PS4. Though someone in this thread mentioned the framerate goes to shit later in the game the more chaotic it gets in the PS4 version.

Also the PS4 version most likely has reviews from different outlets than the PC version.

Citadel

For real. When this game wants to be like Condemned it shows. One of the basements bits legit shit me up.

Seriously, the quest in Old Town where you have to find that kid's friend
Mike
and you have to search the apartments / basement while listening to the tape recorder... Really scared the hell out of me.

This game is fantastic when it comes to ambient noises/sound, too. So many times where I'll be picking a lock inside of a flat, and I'll hear floorboards creaking, distant screams/crashes and doors opening only to find that nothing is there... And the few times I actually ignore these sounds, an Infected bursts through the door.

Freaky.

Just started and wanted to check the time via my watch and apparently I can't?

Found an article on it from 2013.
http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/12/c...-next-gen-can-do-for-zombie-game-dying-light/

“Time is really important in Dying Light,” said Binkowski. “When it gets dark, it’s really dangerous, so you need to check the time. And what do you do when you check the time? You turn your wrist to look at your watch.”

The development team is working on gesture recognition (via the PS4 controller’s gyroscopes and the Xbox One’s motion-sensing Kinect camera) so that when you twist your left wrist in time-checking manner, your character will check his in-game watch at the same time.

This or something like it was never implemented?

eshwaaz

I can't speak for the PC version, the LOD issues on PS4 are not just on distant objects. I've seen major pop on buildings no more than 50 feet away.

Anung

Un Rama
Seriously, the quest in Old Town where you have to find that kid's friend
Mike
and you have to search the apartments / basement while listening to the tape recorder... Really scared the hell out of me.

This game is fantastic when it comes to ambient noises/sound, too. So many times where I'll be picking a lock inside of a flat, and I'll hear floorboards creaking, distant screams/crashes and doors opening only to find that nothing is there... And the few times I actually ignore these sounds, an Infected bursts through the door.

Freaky.

I opened a random wardrobe for supplies and a zombie was just standing there and lunged. It was a P.T level jumps scare I never expected.

Citadel

I opened a random wardrobe for supplies and a zombie was just standing there and lunged. It was a P.T level jumps scare I never expected.

This hasn't happened to me yet, but every time I open a cabinet / wardrobe, I prepare myself for that possibility.

God, I love this game. It's not even that scary, but it scares the crap out of me at certain times.

edit: well actually, I did have a zombie lunch at me after opening a bathroom stall.. But that was once.

void666

Banned
This game is amazing. What a pleasant surprise. I had zero hype about it.
Combat and traversal are really fun. I feel like a zombie killer ninja.

Mods will make it even better eventually.
This game needs a survival mode. With less resources, less safe zones, longer nights.

Been reading through posts and you guys keep mentioning these quarantine zones. Are they just the 'hold to enter' locations via side quests or have I missed alot of places that I can actually enter without missions and explore around.

Fuck bombers.

Not only do they instakill you, they also have the random tendency to explode elsewhere and attract runners. Techland should make it that they explode only when you're spotted by one and nearby. Would give me one less reason for hating Boomers.

Been reading through posts and you guys keep mentioning these quarantine zones. Are they just the 'hold to enter' locations via side quests or have I missed alot of places that I can actually enter without missions and explore around.

Not only do they instakill you, they also have the random tendency to explode elsewhere and attract runners. Techland should make it that they explode only when you're spotted by one and nearby. Would give me one less reason for hating Boomers.

Yeah I just found my first one and I was in old town. They are indoor areas that you have to find the entrances to. They aren't marked on the map. I had to Google it to find where they are.

They're buildings that you find that have quarantine tape around them and you hold to enter at the entryway. In the slums I know of the supermarket and apartment buildings.

I'm thinking about picking this up over the weekend. How similar is it to Dead Island? A game I liked in theory, but did have some issues with. Mainly didn't like the weapon durability, and the loose-feeling controls. How does Dying Light compare in those departments?

Yeah I just found my first one and I was in old town. They are indoor areas that you have to find the entrances to. They aren't marked on the map. I had to Google it to find where they are.

They're buildings that you find that have quarantine tape around them and you hold to enter at the entryway. In the slums I know of the supermarket and apartment buildings.

30+ hours in and I just find this out lol. Thanks, off to finding these quarantine zones.

30+ hours in and I just find this out lol. Thanks, off to finding these quarantine zones.

I found them super late as well. I think after I found the first zone it showed me the rest of them on the map.

This is one of the few open world games I wanted to finish every side quest. I'm maxed out in agility and power with a couple missions left and I don't want it to end.

Just started and wanted to check the time via my watch and apparently I can't?

Found an article on it from 2013.
http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/12/c...-next-gen-can-do-for-zombie-game-dying-light/

This or something like it was never implemented?

You can check the time in the menu screen, it always displays there. I don't think there's any actual way to look at your watch, though.

They also get marked on your map with a red biohazard symbol if you've discovered them by getting close.

Citadel

I'm thinking about picking this up over the weekend. How similar is it to Dead Island? A game I liked in theory, but did have some issues with. Mainly didn't like the weapon durability, and the loose-feeling controls. How does Dying Light compare in those departments?

Dying Light really feels like what Dead Island should have been. Sure, there's a tiny bit of unseriousness/humor in there (Especially with the same crafting style as Dead Island), but it's definitely not as prevalent as it was in DI. This game tries to take a more darker and serious approach to the story and to the overall presentation of the graphics, atmosphere and setting... And the atmosphere is fantastic, at that. The first few hours are nerve racking because you're basically learning everything and if you get surrounded, you're done. Obviously as you progress, it becomes a joke at how easy it is, but it doesn't take away from the game at all, just goes to show how fun it is. One of the biggest improvements was the actual level design... The Slums, Old Town, the detail of the apartments and living areas in each.. Just beautiful.

I'm one of those guys that really wanted to like Dead Island, but got bored of it quickly. With Dying Light, even though it's an open world game, it feels a lot more structured, and it feels like there's a perfect pace and balance of quests/side quests. I've already put in.. 20 hours? Haven't beaten the game yet but I'll probably go through it again once I do. I've been playing most of this game with my friends in co-op, so perhaps that's why I've been having so much fun with the game.. because we're all running from the infected together.

Crafting is really simple in Dying Light -- Just find a blueprint, grab the necessary items and craft. Not too over-the-top with the items, and you actually feel the weight and power behind each swing. The controls (in my opinion) feel relatively smooth and reactive. The climbing and parkour feel ALMOST as good/natural as it did in Mirror's Edge - the only problem I really had was if I was up high, it's not really easy to climb down as opposed to going up.

You can check the time in the menu screen, it always displays there. I don't think there's any actual way to look at your watch, though.

When I was playing last and it became night while I was out, my guy checked his watch just before it turned night. That's the only time it has happened and there isn't a manual way to check unless you go into the menu.

Ominym

Banned
Fuck bombers.

No kidding. There has got to be one asshole designer at Techland you can tell that anytime a small hallway came up demanded that a Bomber be included. He's probably the same guy that said the Goon's attack should be almost undodgeable.

End of game spoilers:
I really love this game through and through. Criminally underrated. But I will say that
some of the game design choices baffle me. What's up with game designers building games around buffing up your powers then taking them away for a boss fight? This shit has to stop. Respect the time I spent on the game and let me cut Tariq in half after one hit with my grossly overpowered fire/electricity sword. The two worst parts of this game are the Tariq boss fight and the arena boss fight, which are both terrible. Having my powers/weapons taken away doesn't make me feel more powerful when I have them back. It makes me annoyed I don't have them. It's like the person who designed the challenges where you get super powerful weapons thought that effect would work in reverse.

Also, fuck quick time events. Can we seriously be done with this shit? I hate not being able to observe a cutscene or pay attention to something someone is saying because I have to hit the square button in half a second or die.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Can you spoil me on what mission/event or whatnot unlocks the grappling hook? I imagine I'm fairly close to it but I'm curious. :p
It's a deep unlock in the survivor section, which is an ingenious move. I need it but I wouldn't have focused on Survivor rank nearly as much if I didn't know it was there
The grappling hook is fuckin' awesome, why didn't they give it to us at the beginning of the game?!
Cause the progression is just really well-done and satisfying and awesome. Dying Light's a perfect example of why games so frequently include "upgrade trees" and "skill points" and shit like that.

By the time you unlock the grappling hook you're so proficient at the parkour (if you've been focusing on it) that you feel more like a superhero than a dude running around hopping over fences. And the very bottom bubble to unlock for each gives you
unlimited stamina
for that activity, which just kind of opens up the sandbox to an extent.
You're reminded constantly of your human limitations with handicaps on the sprinting and fighting (not a bad element), then that unlock just... takes them away. Yeah it's kind of "videogamey" and makes no sense, but it's fun as hell.

Apparently I'm the only person who enjoyed the ending.
Space Ace is my favorite game of all time and QTE is my favorite genre. DDR is a QTE game.

What's the deal with the combat XP? I was standing right outside a safe zone at night with my UV Light, killing some Volatiles to level up. Killed one, got around 400 or 460 XP; killed a second one, 1200 XP; killed another, around 460 XP again. All Volatiles were killed with a sickle, can anyone explain the difference in XP I was getting?

It loves to put those exploding zombies behind doors and in places where you get in the habit of hitting things. It can be frustrating. That, and the shitty downward parkour/climbing which leads to a lot of falls.

The worst part is from the back they like common infected. Honesty it'd be genus if they didn't instant kill you.

Top Bottom