• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think that's a Destiny easter egg. Making fun of a patch that reduced legendary items to "rare" forcing people to replay the same missions.
That's... close, but no

In Destiny before a majority of the playerbase kind of grasped the intended avenues of progression, tons of players went to a cave with infinitely respawning enemies to farm them over and over again for a tiny chance at good items. Then a patch came out to stop the enemies from respawning in this "Loot Cave."

So the easter egg is you go into this cave and there are "infinitely" respawning zombies. It says "It is your destiny to forge your legend (and get loot)" Then after you kill the zombies for a while there's the message "Enough! Patch 1.0.2 updated, go do some quests." I.e., patching the loot cave.

Pretty funny

Mohonky

Apparently I'm the only person who enjoyed the ending.
Space Ace is my favorite game of all time and QTE is my favorite genre. DDR is a QTE game.

I personally dont like game final encounters being done that way personally.

Finished the game at 94% completion, apparently a poster challenge I missed and a weapon challenge for Psycho, but j couldnt see them anywhere on the map?

Think i finished with skills at 22 / 20 / 24. Single playered the entire game outside of 4 hrs, spent 37hrs total doing every side quest I came across, probably missed some quanrantine areas tho I think.

What's special about the zombies with fumes coming out of them?

See here:
95468565F5529B253E150E140AED9D21E9793F0D

antitrop

Apparently I'm the only person who enjoyed the ending.
I enjoyed the traversal bit of the ending quite a bit. It's not trial and error if you've become extremely proficient at the mechanics/controls. I liked the way the story wrapped up.
And the QTE was actually less anticlimactic than if I had to fight Rise with my 1,200 damage Machete that kills everything in 1 or 2 hits.

c0Zm1c

I enjoyed the traversal bit of the ending quite a bit. It's not trial and error if you've become extremely proficient at the mechanics/controls. I liked the way the story wrapped up.
And the QTE was actually less anticlimactic than if I had to fight Rise with my 1,200 damage Machete that kills everything in 1 or 2 hits.
They could have just
robbed you of your inventory (again) and given you some crummy plank of wood to fight him with. Anything would have been better than QTEs.

antitrop

They could have just
robbed you of your inventory (again) and given you some crummy plank of wood to fight him with. Anything would have been better than QTEs.
True. It's really just that my opinion of the end-game is considerably higher than the early-game, all around. Parkour is really what this game is all about, more than melee combat (for me), so the final mission was satisfying enough.

OK, I decided last night to do a side Quest involving a warehouse. Today, I turn the game on and I am instantly on top of the warehouse. Not only that but an air drop landed a crate inside the warehouse and Rais goons where everywhere. Also I can't find the needed items inside to do the quest. Wtf?

True. It's really just that my opinion of the end-game is considerably higher than the early-game, all around. Parkour is really what this game is all about, more than melee combat (for me), so the final mission was satisfying enough.

Yeah the final mission is spot on. Its EXACTLY what all final missions should be about in any game. You have to use all the abilities you've been building up throughout the main game to get to the end.

The end of the mission though. Urgh.

What's special about the zombies with fumes coming out of them?

See here:

They are toxic, so they poison you when you are near to them shambling about or standing near their dead bodies. Shortly after they die, they also explode in a small toxic cloud for more damage, and enough noise to attract nearby zombies and virals.

c0Zm1c

It seems it's a good idea to get the side missions done before finishing the game, (end game spoiler -> )
I keep coming across references to Rais as though he's still alive and I just did a mission involving Karim so he has miraculously returned to life as well!

skybald

A couple of pages back, some people were complaining about the graphics, and I still say they are completely serviceable, being 10 hours into the game. Maybe I am missing something, but it runs fine and looks like a run of the mill current gen game.

None of my skills are about lvl 8 yet and I am still afraid of the normal zombies lol. Won't even think about doing the first quarantine zone I found. Got some people to get the game, hopefully coop makes these areas more manageable.

A couple of pages back, some people were complaining about the graphics, and I still say they are completely serviceable, being 10 hours into the game. Maybe I am missing something, but it runs fine and looks like a run of the mill current gen game.

None of my skills are about lvl 8 yet and I am still afraid of the normal zombies lol. Won't even think about doing the first quarantine zone I found. Got some people to get the game, hopefully coop makes these areas more manageable.
The only noticeably bad graphics is how the water looks completely shit from a distance. I don't even know how to describe it. It just stands out as "wow, that's bad".

skybald

The only noticeably bad graphics is how the water looks completely shit from a distance. I don't even know how to describe it. It just stands out as "wow, that's bad".

Didn't even know there was water in the game.

Wasn't this game cross gen for a while?

I'm at 100% completion.

Such a shame that trophies/achievements are glitched : (
There's currently no way to get platinum trophy.

Also looking at the list of my finished side quests there are 51 side quests ! I've seen people talk about 44 side quest and this is definitely not correct.

Collectibles such as letters, zombie statues, flags and audio files don't count towards 100% game completion.
Only story quests, side quests and challenges count.

It's a shame there isn't a hardcore mode where the day/night system is even and unlocks are harder to get. So far I've been playing with only getting the first unlock in each category.

DukeBobby

I'm quite enjoying the story missions so far.

They're long, varied, and have some awesome music. Even the cutscenes are worth watching because Roger Craig Smith sounds hilarious when he gets angry.

On the other hand, some of the side missions are dreadful. No, I don't want to run to the other end of the map to pick up some fucking flowers.

-Deimos

The ending
QTE event
sucked hard but I liked the way the actual story wrapped up.
Can't wait for the sequel.

And the OST really is amazing.

Grisby

The OST is amazing. I wish they'd put it up on Itunes or something already.

Does anyone know if MP will still wipe out your save? I finished the game but wanted to try some co-op for the f of it. Didn't know if a patch fixed those supposed MP problems that were around launch.

My love of co-op has had me bouncing between Dying Light and Far Cry 4 over the past week, and after harming or killing myself through cross-wires in my muscle memory in both games I've come to the following realizations:

1.) Far Cry 4 needs to incorporate DL's parkour tuck-and-roll so I can actually jump off of medium heights without dying or losing two chunks of health. And 2.) Dying Light needs that Far Cry 4 wing-suit like nobody's business ;p

My love of co-op has had me bouncing between Dying Light and Far Cry 4 over the past week, and after harming or killing myself through cross-wires in my muscle memory in both games I've come to the following realizations:

1.) Far Cry 4 needs to incorporate DL's parkour tuck-and-roll so I can actually jump off of medium heights without dying or losing two chunks of health. And 2.) Dying Light needs that Far Cry 4 wing-suit like nobody's business ;p

Pyza suit attachment in DL is about as close as you'll get to a squirrel suit. It let's you jump around like Mario and you can get a ton of distance with it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I figured this would be a good place to ask, I really love this game, would Dead Island be worth picking up in the next Steam sale? How similar are they?

ptuck874

I figured this would be a good place to ask, I really love this game, would Dead Island be worth picking up in the next Steam sale? How similar are they?

pretty close, just without the jumping/running, etc stuff, find hammers, etc, build them up etc.

Archpath1

Movement is different hardly any parkour stuff
More combat focused, stats, upgrades, skills trees per character

Jaffar is bugged for me, so I can't get the final sidequest I need to finish them all. Has anyone else encountered this? He shows up as an exclamation point on the map, but when I approach him it's just the buttom prompt with an empty black box beside it where his name should be. I've tried everything, and he has been stuck this way for almost the entire game so nothing is going to fix it without a patch, I'm guessing. A Google search shows that a few other people have ran into this on other platforms as well, but it doesn't seem widespread by any means so I hope it doesn't go ignored.

Was just telling a friend about this lol. One of the worst water shaders I've ever seen, I'm actually tempted to look at the files to see if theres a way to turn off the reflections of the water which I suspect is the main reason for it looking so bad, they look horrible even up close. Such an odd thing when the rest of the game looks pretty damn good.

so is the consensus to bitch out & leave when someone joins a your game as a zombie? the shit happened about 15 times in a row tonight, i just gave up, people need to turn the invasion off if they dont want to play against someone....

so is the consensus to bitch out & leave when someone joins a your game as a zombie? the shit happened about 15 times in a row tonight, i just gave up, people need to turn the invasion off if they dont want to play against someone....

Can it to be turned off? I should've done that already.

The game really should ask you about this first.

Phionoxx

It seemed easier to get a game going (as the invader) within the first week after the launch. Think it was because people had not yet bothered to turn invasions off.

But the other problem that happens when and if you get a game going, is the humans have a tendency to wait it out in a safe zone. The game eventually times out and gives the victory to the invader.

It seems it's a good idea to get the side missions done before finishing the game, (end game spoiler -> )
I keep coming across references to Rais as though he's still alive and I just did a mission involving Karim so he has miraculously returned to life as well!

Better than the alternative of the missions failing, but I was curious what would happen if that particular mission was done post ending.

Anyone know if Volatiles/Zombies can open doors that you close when you enter a building? This is assuming none of them have seen you.

I dont know if they can, but I know for me they never have. Even when they watch me go into a room and slam the door, they just stand outside the door moaning and grunting, but never come in.

Also, I dont know what it is with me and guns in this game, but the past day or so, i have found like 8 guns. I dont even know if I should use them, save them, sell them, hmmm. I continue to mele attack everyone and save my guns. Is everyone just using guns on humans only?

Top Bottom