• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Angry Guy

So does anyone here have a good understanding of how New Game Plus and Restart From Quest work? I've got a few questions:

Can you still jump into your cleared game to screw around in the completed map after you start NG+ or will you have to wait to unlock
Old Town
again?

Does Restart From Quest reset side missions too, and to what degree? Do they all reset wholesale or does the game remember what side missions you had done before doing a certain main story mission?

What does NG+ mean when it says enemies are harder? Is that just talking about level scaling?

Can you NG+ infinitely or is it terrible like Arkham City was and only let you do it once?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is there a fix yet, or even any talk about the co-op connection errors?

This is quite frustrating.

I don't see why anyone would disagree with you. Assassin's Creed has terrible parkour. You just hold down one button and the game does all the work for you.

True. And even this was sometimes very erratic. Last one was Black Flag, maybe it changed by now.

Why is this game so good? I just love it. I can't remember the last time a game gripped me so tightly.

Same here. It's a small map, easy repetitive close combats and so on. And the game was totally out of my focus until its release and I bought it just out of a pure reflex ("wow, I can enter random buildings, awesome, ok I'll buy"), but the overall atmosphere and parkourish flow keeps me playing - more than most games in the past. I really like it.

-Deimos

Does anyone on PC have a spare high-level Sipahi Saber or can get one from a shop? I've only encountered 2 in the entire game and I didn't bother buying the second one because it wasn't that much better than the one I already had. If only I knew how rare non-endgame weapons would become.

Chabbles

Freaky bastards.

dl_by_chabbles-d8guvf1.gif

What's the deal with the combat XP? I was standing right outside a safe zone at night with my UV Light, killing some Volatiles to level up. Killed one, got around 400 or 460 XP; killed a second one, 1200 XP; killed another, around 460 XP again. All Volatiles were killed with a sickle, can anyone explain the difference in XP I was getting?
were you possibly pushing some into the spike traps next to one of the entrances?

alterno69

Banned
lol game just stopped and started updating in the middle of playing. wth

Xbox One i guess?

Anyway, i got this game a couple of days ago, played by myself and loved it, convinced a friend to get it and we played coop for two days, loved it even more, i just finished a 4 hours session with 3 friends and it was even better.

There's something about this game i just can't get enough, it's great that there are so many side quests cause every time a new player is introduced to out party we just play side quests for hours since we all are at different points in our single player campaigns.

Awesome fucking game.

Bah just saw that (don't click this as its a spoiler, even though its spoilered, apparently people don't realize that means it was a spoiler ->)
jade dies
from watching a youtube vid, I don't even want to play anymore. Uninstalled.

were you possibly pushing some into the spike traps next to one of the entrances?
I was standing on a rooftop, waiting for the Volatiles to climb up, no spike traps in sight. I shined some of them with UV Lights, kicked some of them, all killed with a sickle in the end, but I don't think these actions would lead to the XP discrepancy, just seems a bit random.

jond76

Banned
Or I could have spoilered it, which is what you do with a spoiler, oh wait I did.

If you noticed, most people specify what part of the game they are going to discuss in spoilers. Otherwise, you have guess what part of the 50 hour game you're going to just shit out there.

Whatever, my fault, shouldn't have clicked it. Just warning others.

-Deimos

Just beat the story and it was amazing. If MGS5 and Witcher 3 weren't coming out this year, this would probably be my GOTY.

And every game should end with
a QTE.
Somehow it guarantees a good game, Shadow of Mordor is proof of that as well.
/s

If you noticed, most people specify what part of the game they are going to discuss in spoilers. Otherwise, you have guess what part of the 50 hour game you're going to just shit out there.

Whatever, my fault, shouldn't have clicked it. Just warning others.

honestly i don't even know how far away that is, but
I just got a mission that hinted at something happening, and I didn't want to waste my time playing the rest of the game if that was going to happen
I really don't like the story at all, I have wanted to strangle this bitch from the GRE about 100 times already.

Is there a fix yet, or even any talk about the co-op connection errors?

This is quite frustrating.

My friend who was having issues doesn't have them anymore since the last update. I hope they don't consider that one a complete fix because there's many people who still have issues.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I take it that it's known how to rank up to level 25 for Survival basically instantly by a glitch?

I needed some pieces which I couldn't afford so I did the duplicate x # glitch so I could create a blueprint but in the menu I selected an airdrop item which you take back to the Quartermaster.

It boosted my Survival XP so I tried it again but this time I did the glitch for x 500. Soon as I handed them in to the Quartermaster my Survival level shot up to 25 with everything unlocked. I know its lame but if you need a perk which you haven't got yet it could be handy.

Mohonky

Little disappointed at fire weapons, they basically nerfed the game for anyone using a fire based mod. Hitting some zombies with it (the ones that look like they are giving off a green gas) explode after killing them, attracting virals and more often than not if you are in the middle of the foray getting hammered with explosive damage.

It essentially makes fire based mods useless as using one just means you are frequently getting harassed by virals and taking damage in the middle of a fight. I've had to stop using them entirely and avoid any fire based mod.

dude, wtf, i have like twenty quests going on right now, LOL.

it seems they try to push you into certain quests by having characters randomly remind you.

SomTervo

When I was playing last and it became night while I was out, my guy checked his watch just before it turned night. That's the only time it has happened and there isn't a manual way to check unless you go into the menu.

Protip (which I don't think anyone has mentioned yet):

If you have the 'Throw weapon' ability under the Power skillset – where you double click R3 to ready your weapon and then right trigger to chuck it – your guy raises his left hand as well and you can see the time clearly.

It becomes a really intuitive way of quickly checking the time. Feels damn immersive, too.

Not to mention throwing weapons is fucking incredible. I swear your weapon does 2-3x the damage a normal strike does when you throw it.

This skill has saved my life a bunch of times, when I'm about to die from a Demolisher or Goon and I chuck my weapon at them as a last resort...

Edit:

This game should be played in coop

I actually sunk my first 17 hours in playing singleplayer only.

Singleplayer is a phenomenal way to experience the game – until you hit about level 16-17 in all your skill trees. At this point you are too OP and can deal with shit easily, starts getting ever so slightly dull.

Once at that point, co-op is the way to go :)

I'm starting a new character entirely to play with a bub

Denton

Spent 10 hours across last two days playing this on PC. All in co-op with a friend, which is something we never do (we are more singleplayer gamers, both of us). It really is amazing. Such great atmosphere. I love how the co-op works too, everything very seamless, didn't have any issue. Ingame chat works well too so no faffing with teamspeaks. Doing all the sidequests we can get, getting the drops..then moving the main quest a bit.
Techland's best game yet.

SomTervo

DukeBobby said:
I don't see why anyone would disagree with you. Assassin's Creed has terrible parkour. You just hold down one button and the game does all the work for you.
True. And even this was sometimes very erratic. Last one was Black Flag, maybe it changed by now.

Assassin's Creed Unity fixes almost the entire AC parkour system in one fell swoop. You need to pay attention and use 3-4 buttons in tandem to free-run. As a result it's far, far more accurate and is unbelievably smooth/satisfying to do so.
It's a really, genuinely good game on the whole, play it if you dislike the jib of the previous AC games.

Dying Light is a totally different league, though. Fucking masterpiece of pure fun.

SomTervo

So does anyone here have a good understanding of how New Game Plus and Restart From Quest work? I've got a few questions:

Can you still jump into your cleared game to screw around in the completed map after you start NG+ or will you have to wait to unlock
Old Town
again?

Does Restart From Quest reset side missions too, and to what degree? Do they all reset wholesale or does the game remember what side missions you had done before doing a certain main story mission?

What does NG+ mean when it says enemies are harder? Is that just talking about level scaling?

Can you NG+ infinitely or is it terrible like Arkham City was and only let you do it once?

I'm very, very curious about some of this too.

I'm at about 80% completion on my main save, and don't really feel like finishing it (instead focussing on my newly started co-op character).

However, if NG+ is significantly different/more difficult than OG, then I will happily rush through the last 20% to start this. Shit that would be great.

I'm not 100% certain on this, but regarding the 'restart from quest' option, I'm pretty sure the game just acts as if you have finished the story quests up to that point and let you start from there. So on NG+ you won't have to do the
rubbish
tutorial or missions without night time, and go straight to when the open world is acting normally. You won't get any XP for these missions. And I guess you'll keep sidequest progress because it's NG+? (Could be wrong on that.)

Anyone know if you can unlock more outfits or is there just the three choices as of now and the two DLC pre-orders?

Fresh Clothes
Athlete
Runner

DLC:
Ninja
Agent

Also, it's got selection boxes around the character as if you can mix and match attire? Is this possible later on?

Klyka

Banned
Anyone know if you can unlock more outfits or is there just the three choices as of now and the two DLC pre-orders?

Fresh Clothes
Athlete
Runner

DLC:
Ninja
Agent

Also, it's got selection boxes around the character as if you can mix and match attire? Is this possible later on?

You unlock more by leveling your survivor rank. And maybe your other two levels too.

So I get how you level up Agility and Power. But what about Survivor? Is there a way I can focus on that skill tree?

I haven't even finished Airdrop yet, so I'm still really early in the game. Where can I find blueprints for bladed weapons outside of EXPcalibur? Will they just come with the course of the game?

SomTervo

So I get how you level up Agility and Power. But what about Survivor? Is there a way I can focus on that skill tree?

Do side quests, collect and return air-drops, and do main story quests. There are a couple of other ways you'll discover yourself – eg you get lots of Survivor points dependant on how much time you spend running around at night (outside of safe zones).

Generally, being a 'survivor' or 'helping survivors' gets you Survivor points.

Also, dying will take away survivor points for you. Bit of a weird mechanic, I don't think it really works. I think losing metal parts and a few in-game hours would be better, for a start.

I haven't even finished Airdrop yet, so I'm still really early in the game. Where can I find blueprints for bladed weapons outside of EXPcalibur? Will they just come with the course of the game?

Yeah you find these and can get them for doing quests. I think quite a few are buyable from traders, too.

Jade looks a lot more like the model than her mo-cap/voice artist, imo.

Anyways, the comparisons to Mirror's Edge do make sense regarding the parkour. But this game is much more rounded, enjoyable and better overall. Mirror's Edge got boring after a bit.

AEWm0Gr.jpg

uhm, I just exited this area after killing all the zombies and it told me "Enough! Patch 1.02 activated. Go do some missions"

or something of the sort. WTF?

Can someone explain this to me.

Senoculum

AEWm0Gr.jpg

uhm, I just exited this area after killing all the zombies and it told me "Enough! Patch 1.02 activated. Go do some missions"

or something of the sort. WTF?

Can someone explain this to me.

I think that's a Destiny easter egg. Making fun of a patch that reduced legendary items to "rare" forcing people to replay the same missions.

Anyone know if Volatiles/Zombies can open doors that you close when you enter a building? This is assuming none of them have seen you.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Fresh Clothes
Athlete
Runner

DLC:
Ninja
Agent

I have a DLC outfit I got from Alienware as a limited promotion.

Top Bottom