• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Played 2 hours SP campaign, 2 hours Coop and 2 hours Be a Zombie and all of it was mad fun.

First Sleeper Hit of 2015, cant believe how much I am enjoying it.

Bullitus

Finished the story last night. Kinda liked the story but holy hell that last 30 or so minutes were stupid (gameplay wise).
I liked parkour in this but instadeath after falling is never fun and the ending was full of that.

Still have a few side missions to do and quarantine zones to clear. Really fun game, especially in co-op.

alterno69

Banned
OK, I decided last night to do a side Quest involving a warehouse. Today, I turn the game on and I am instantly on top of the warehouse. Not only that but an air drop landed a crate inside the warehouse and Rais goons where everywhere. Also I can't find the needed items inside to do the quest. Wtf?
I did this one in coop last night, you're supossed to go back to the roof and into another part pf the warehouse trough a hole in the top area inside the warehouse, it was a fun mission.

I've played too many hours in this game already, so much fun.

MacBosse

Was just telling a friend about this lol. One of the worst water shaders I've ever seen, I'm actually tempted to look at the files to see if theres a way to turn off the reflections of the water which I suspect is the main reason for it looking so bad, they look horrible even up close. Such an odd thing when the rest of the game looks pretty damn good.

Heheh yeah I had a "oh god wtf?" moment when I first saw from the tower. Everyhting else so fr had been top notch so it was really a stark contrast.

Techland, makers of Dying Light, have announced they plan to release official mod tools for the free-running zombie ‘em up.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...otgun/steam+(Rock,+Paper,+Shotgun:+Steam+RSS)

Link to Techland modding forum (!)
http://forum.techland.pl/forum/106-modding-tools/
Oh damn, this sounds really nice! Can't wait to see just how extensive the tools are, the game is already really great but I know there are people out there that can add even more crazy ideas to the game.

Midn1ght

whats the best way to deal with the giant zombies?

I try to hit him once or twice and dodge backward one or two time to avoid being hit. Rinse and repeat until he dies. You might want to kill other zombies around before taking care of the big one.

Holy crap, the "spitters" are pissing me off with their flawless accuracy. Any good strategies?

I usually just climb and run at them to kill them quickly, they are pretty weak. Or you can try to dodge left or right when they spit at you and kill them with trowing stars.

Can someone please refer me to cheap method of buying this game in xbox one (UK) ?!
Its £55 in the marketplace which is totally unacceptable .

Produce

Put nearly 19 hours so far into the PS4 version. Here are some quick thoughts:
+ Great soundtrack. Made me reminisce of Day of the Dead's soundtrack. Would grab a copy definitely if released.
+ Great graphics on the most part. Except swimming in the water. Yeech. Pixelated mess.
+ Solid parkour mechanics. Never really had too much of an issue making my way across the map quickly.

- Left4Dead zombies copy-pasted into the game. Really? Ya could've at least tried to make some different and interesting virals.
- Virals having perfect aim, and the occasional ability to find me anywhere on the map.
- Minor clipping and bugs involving parkour, mainly involving ledge grabbing.
- Gunplay wasn't improved from Dead Island. Come on, if ya gonna stick it in the game again, you could've at least tried to make it not handle like ass.

Kevin VanOrd's sentiments of Dying Light is closest to my own, even if I would've given it an 8/10. Comparing Techland's games to zombie movies... Dead Island is Zombi 2, Dead Island Riptide is Zombi 3, and Dying Light is Day of the Dead (1985).

MacBosse

- Left4Dead zombies copy-pasted into the game. Really? Ya could've at least tried to make some different and interesting virals.

That kind of Zombies is hardly "Left4dead" zombies? If we were to discuss were they were suppposedly stolen from I think the movie 28 Days later would be a better argument. Regardless I think that DLs virals are fun and engaging, in combat and stealth.

- Virals having perfect aim, and the occasional ability to find me anywhere on the map.

Perfect aim? You mean they always hit you? Because they don't. And Virals always goes to the origin of a loud sound, until they spot you then they go for you.

- Minor clipping and bugs involving parkour, mainly involving ledge grabbing.

Yeah, really a minor issue when factoring the ambitious mechanics.

- Gunplay wasn't improved from Dead Island. Come on, if ya gonna stick it in the game again, you could've at least tried to make it not handle like ass.

Agreed. Gunplay is weak.

Thorgal

If the moding tools are as good as they say , the veryfirst thing i am gonna request is better water .

After that , mod i n the ability to alter amount of zombies on screens .

I want streets to be jampacked full of them . no i don't care if it makes my PC explodes . just do it !

Produce

- That kind of Zombies is hardly "Left4dead" zombies? If we were to discuss were they were supposedly stolen from I think the movie 28 Days later would be a better argument. Regardless I think that DLs virals are fun and engaging, in combat and stealth.

I should've been more specific. I am referring to special zombies/infected such as the Toad (spitter), Suicide Bomber (boomer), Demolisher (charger/tank). Their inclusion in Dying Light comes across a little uninspiring, especially when placed next to the Volatiles. Or maybe because I played Left4Dead too much and a bit of rut has set in.

Perfect aim? You mean they always hit you? Because they don't. And Virals always goes to the origin of a loud sound, until they spot you then they go for you.

Unfortunately I have experienced otherwise. I have exited an area, with no virals spotting me after the initial noise (as indicated by their arrow colour on the mini map). Next minute, virals are rubber-banding across the mini-map out of thin air, halfway through Harran until I entered a safe zone. I also experienced Toads doing the exact same thing. Mind you this was before I installed patch 1.02.

BahamutPT

Looking for 1 player to do Polyamory right now on PS4. Everything ready to go at the tower. Send me a friend request to BahamutPT

Edit: All done, thanks!

SilentFlyer

Can someone please refer me to cheap method of buying this game in xbox one (UK) ?!
Its £55 in the marketplace which is totally unacceptable .

Here is the post explaining how you may get the game for cheap from XBL market.

http://neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=150108521#post150108521

And here you can compare the prices from different regions.

http://www.digitalgamesprices.com/xboxone.php

On Topic: is anyone still trying to get coop trophies? Add me up for that >> ixYi

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Got some epic swords now. Anyone got a list or locations for the better blueprints?

I ventured onto the bridge at night and got the Surprise MF's up top. Some crazy shit climbing that tower.

Also is it possible to upgrade a weapon so it doesnt become breakable?

The OST is amazing. I wish they'd put it up on Itunes or something already.

I love it. Reminds me of the OST in Farcry 3 Blood Dragon.

Vintage

I'm in old town, and I've heard about quarantined zones.

what the hell are they and when do they begin?! :D

You may find them by exploring, they are marked with quarantine symbol on the minimap:
RTEmagicC_376px-Biohazard_symbol.svg.png.png

Any of you PS4 guys with 5 quests ready to hand in available right now?

Add me, username's the same as it is here. Adding friends works on phone I think, did for me earlier

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I dont know if they can, but I know for me they never have. Even when they watch me go into a room and slam the door, they just stand outside the door moaning and grunting, but never come in.

Also, I dont know what it is with me and guns in this game, but the past day or so, i have found like 8 guns. I dont even know if I should use them, save them, sell them, hmmm. I continue to mele attack everyone and save my guns. Is everyone just using guns on humans only?

you can buy ammo for all the guns. Its a trivial expense and the guns do not degrade. I use them sometimes. They kind of break the game a bit, honestly.

Ruff

Yeah I'm not sure what they were thinking adding guns like this to the game. For the last 1/2 of my story playthrough I pretty much just used a Pistol and a Police rifle. One headshot to most zombies and it was dead, a few more to the stronger ones, and it made human enemies trivial.

I think during their runs many players will realize the dominant strategy here and see how useless all the fancy crafting and melee weapons are compared to the 1 shot kill guns.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Yeah I'm not sure what they were thinking adding guns like this to the game. For the last 1/2 of my story playthrough I pretty much just used a Pistol and a Police rifle. One headshot to most zombies and it was dead, a few more to the stronger ones, and it made human enemies trivial.

I think during their runs many players will realize the dominant strategy here and see how useless all the fancy crafting and melee weapons are compared to the 1 shot kill guns.

I did the first find a gun quest co-op and got to keep the pistol... it does like 250 damage lol.

What they were thinking, idk.

jond76

Banned
I love the way the physics work. Like the last zombie I hit here trips on the downed zombie and does a dramatic fall.

vMop8Ls.gif

eshwaaz

Loving this game, but it's absolutely murdering the right shoulder button on both of my PS4 controllers. The right side of the button sticks much of the time now, mucking up my parkour. Very frustrating.

eshwaaz

Am i the only one who prefers to play it on his own instead of co-op?
I'm solo all the way, but I'm also a completely anti-social gamer so I'm not the best gauge. :)
Very grateful that this isn't one of those games that makes me feel like I'm playing it "wrong" if I'm not playing co-op. No locked out content, either.

Loving this game, but it's absolutely murdering the right shoulder button on both of my PS4 controllers. The right side of the button sticks much of the time now, mucking up my parkour. Very frustrating.

You can fix that pretty easily. Just pry up the button with a small flathead screwdriver and clean out the residue with a qtip. I think the plastic wears down and creates residue that gums up the button. Push the button back in place and you should be good to go.

Thorgal

At what level do you get the really strong weapons ?

I know at survivor level 8 you get access to guns which are already overpowered but i am talking about about melee weapons .

Edit : in short , when do you start feeling godlike ? :p

MacBosse

Am i the only one who prefers to play it on his own instead of co-op?

I'm doing both. The good and bad with coop is that more chaos ensures and its always great to share an experience. However, it also changes the pace of the game alot. Exploring and the overall speed of the game gets way way faster when I play with my friends and that isn't always good thing. Really no time to "feel the mood" if you will.

NIN90

Jeffrey and his "Leg Breaker" Psycho challenge can go suck a dick. I'm constantly auto-targetign the head despite having it disabled in the options.

What really sealed the deal for me was the sound design and soundtrack. 80's techno/synthesizer beats straight out of Romero's zed flicks. Everything in the game feels "alive" though most of the inhabitants are dead.

While playing co op with my brother last night, I mentioned that this game felt like Techland finally "got" what I've been looking for in a zombie survival/action game, the likes of which DayZ and H1Z1 hope to achieve. A sense of dread when nighttime begins, safe zones, traps, crafting, seemless co op, roaming hordes, dynamic events, etc.

Totally agree with this post. Been pretty shocked by the General game press reaction to this game. Listened to DLC, Game Informer, polygon podcasts and everyone is kind if meh about it. People want more playground style dead rising sunset overdrive fun and level that as the games weakness. I love this semi realistic thing the game does!

I hate the way they use bloaters. You're in a building and open a door and a bloater rushes and kills you. Fuck that. What a cheap mechanic.

At what level do you get the really strong weapons ?

I know at survivor level 8 you get access to guns which are already overpowered but i am talking about about melee weapons .

Edit : in short , when do you start feeling godlike ? :p

It was when weapons went > 500 dmg for me when I felt OP. >1000 and killing zombie became trivial.

Top Bottom