• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Ledhead

Almost finished I figured. Not many side missions left on the map, and only a few story missions to go. Loved it so far though. However, slightly annoyed at glitched trophies

BeeDog

It seems it's a good idea to get the side missions done before finishing the game, (end game spoiler -> )
I keep coming across references to Rais as though he's still alive and I just did a mission involving Karim so he has miraculously returned to life as well!

It's not a problem, because (spoiler)
the pre-mission pop-up mentions that when you continue the game afterwards, you revert to a state before the mission, so in essence, Rais is not dead when you freeroam post-ending.

Am i the only one who prefers to play it on his own instead of co-op?

I'm playing it with little upgrades solo and also upgrading regularly co-op with my girlfriend. One plays a bit like survival horror and the other an action game and both are great.

NIN90

239140_2015-02-07_000qml3c.png

Little touches like that are neat. Crayon scribbles will start to appear inside the tower after you get the crayons for the children. There are also vegetables growing on the roof since I completed the quest with the botany book.

I need to do more side missions and do some housekeeping.

Gotta get a sword and light it on fire somehow. I barely bothered with mods and unique weapons during the campaign. Maybe made 3. Didn't buy much outside of alcohol, med kits, and the like.

eshwaaz

You can fix that pretty easily. Just pry up the button with a small flathead screwdriver and clean out the residue with a qtip. I think the plastic wears down and creates residue that gums up the button. Push the button back in place and you should be good to go.
I'll give that a shot tonight. Thanks much for the advice. Should I pry on the side of the button, or the front?

c0Zm1c

It's not a problem, because (spoiler)
the pre-mission pop-up mentions that when you continue the game afterwards, you revert to a state before the mission, so in essence, Rais is not dead when you freeroam post-ending.
It's not a problem in that it doesn't break the game or anything but it is a clumsy way of doing it. They could have separated the side quests in question better from the main storyline/characters, or included them as actual main story quests, if only to make it more consistent for the no doubt many players who may not have touched the side quests much, or at all, before finishing the main story. That pop up would not even be needed then.

I'll give that a shot tonight. Thanks much for the advice. Should I pry on the side of the button, or the front?

Either way should work. Basically it pulls straight out of its socket, but it's impossible to pull out by hand, so the flathead helps get it started. YouTube it if you want to see it before you try it. Some of the early YouTube videos showed them unscrewing a screw, you don't need to do that. Just pull it straight out, clean, replace, and good to go. I've done it a couple of times.

antitrop

Jeffrey and his "Leg Breaker" Psycho challenge can go suck a dick. I'm constantly auto-targetign the head despite having it disabled in the options.

Ya, that one was a real pain in the ass and had me making a rant post, as well.

I have since finished every challenge in the game, and none came close to the dreaded 30 headshot challenge in sheer hair-pulling frustration. I'm sure it's easy on PC, but fuck it with a controller. It had me screaming.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Found this body off shore. Is this an easter egg, of some kind? Seems to be dressed up and to out and about to be a survivor.

Yea also saw this last night. Up above on the cliff ledge is a bunch of clothes and I think a letter but I couldn't see anything to pick up.

Denton

Well...over the last three days I got 26 hours played on this, all in co-op with a friend. And we just made it into the second part of the city, Old Town. This is one big ass game. And so awesome too. Just love the movement and action in this game. And gunplay is fantastic too, I am playing with mouse and those headshots are delicious.
And that god damn soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we4VSllrakc

And the design of Old Town looks so beautiful...it's funny, freerunning on the rooftops in first person in this game reminds me how much more enjoyable first person view is compared to third in AC games.

Denton

Are the challenges worth doing? I tried a few but they seem like total bullshit.

We did them all and had great fun. The only one that took us many tries so far was the one where we had to cut zombies in two with an axe. That was hard until I got windmill skill and used firecrackers to attract zombies.

antitrop

Are the challenges worth doing? I tried a few but they seem like total bullshit.

I think they count as side-quests for the Achievement, but I'm not really sure. They show up in the quest tracker after you've completed all the real side-quests, so I just did them for the hell of it. Still no Trophy, though, cuz it's glitched as shit.

I didn't really think they were fun, I thought their difficulty operated on a binary scale of mind-numbingly easy or straight up bullshit.

I just can't do the grappling one. Where you grapple the zombie into spikes...

I used a SHIT TON of Medpacks and got it on my first try. You just have to walk into it knowing you're gonna run through 'em like toilet paper. And they mean the throw grapple, not with the grappling hook. I don't know if that's completely obvious, but I mistook the two when going for the Trophy related to grappling. I thought they wanted you to shoot 50 zombies with the grappling hook, but you just have to throw 50 guys.

We did them all and had great fun. The only one that took us many tries so far was the one where we had to cut zombies in two with an axe. That was hard until I got windmill skill and used firecrackers to attract zombies.

I just can't do the grappling one. Where you grapple the zombie into spikes...

u4ea

Welp, can't finish the game.
Played the whole campaign with my buddy right up to the final mission, where you HAVE to play it in single player mode.
The game crashed, AGAIN, in the middle of the mission.

But because my single player savegame is right at the beginning of the campaign I can't play the final mission without replaying the whole game. Really guys?

The crashing also happened a lot whilst playing coop. So I'm a couple of levels/weapons behind my friend because of the pretty crap save system.

This game feels like this generation's inFAMOUS to me. Last gen inFAMOUS was a pretty ugly game, it was obvious that it was originally developed in part for the PlayStation 2. But it ended up being a great game mechanically and conceptually. Something I feel Dying Light is. The time frame is a bit off, inFAMOUS came out in June 2009, two and half years after the PS3 came out, Dying Light a little more than a year after the PS4. But if played right, I could see Dying Light 2 be a really great game all around.

Also, I saw in someone's video that there were UV lights on at night on Infamy Bridge. Do I have to climb to the top to turn them on?

Xpliskin

Just finished it in 3-player coop.

This game was fun, they need to work on writing better stories though.

and also: the last story mission is single-player only. Load of crap, I know.

I think they count as side-quests for the Achievement, but I'm not really sure. They show up in the quest tracker after you've completed all the real side-quests, so I just did them for the hell of it. Still no Trophy, though, cuz it's glitched as shit.

I didn't really think they were fun, I thought their difficulty operated on a binary scale of mind-numbingly easy or straight up bullshit.

I used a SHIT TON of Medpacks and got it on my first try. You just have to walk into it knowing you're gonna run through 'em like toilet paper. And they mean the throw grapple, not with the grappling hook. I don't know if that's completely obvious, but I mistook the two when going for the Trophy related to grappling. I thought they wanted you to shoot 50 zombies with the grappling hook, but you just have to throw 50 guys.

I don't even have the grapple hook yet and I'm like 12 agility, 10 power and 10 survival (maybe 11 for survival).

Did they increase the levels needed for unlimited sprint and melee? I remember reading people say it was level 12 but now I look and its level 24.

So I tried using a Grappling Hook on a brute, thinking it would stagger him like other zombies.

Don't...don't do that. It'll just pull you towards the brute.

x-Lundz-x

Finished this earlier with my coop buddy. One of the best coop games ever with the shittiest last level I've ever seen. I could not believe they would throw you back into single player for the last mission. And to top it off, it was frustrating as fuck.

Still highly recommended. The game was incredible.

Shiiiet so I'm getting away from about..10-15 volatiles at night, and I run into one of Rais' compounds I get with another 10 guys..I grapple to the opposite side(It's an open veranda of sorts) and watch Rais' guys fight with the Volatiles...but then one of the volatiles sneaks up and kills me O;

surprised at how much i like the game, i liked the original Dead Island but this is way better. the parkour is great, it's like an Assassin's Creed game but fun.

Okay, so I finished the story last night. My scattered thoughts:

• Once you get access to guns, combat is trivial.Sell all the guns you pick up except for one of each type, just buy ammo from vendors.You'll never run out.
  • The "finale" level was total ass. Unfair platforming and a horrible/lazy final boss.
  • It's fun to run around the city exploring/looting/crafting.
  • Wait for a price drop.

Is there any other way to get over to the isolated section of the bridge before getting the grappling hook except for climbing to the top and walking down the wires?

d1rtn4p

Only a few hours in so far, and I think it's a damn fun game. I guess the only thing that bothers me thus far is that the world seems really detailed and awesome and it almost seems like it's a shame that you have to blow by most of it running from zombies. I like to take my time exploring with open world games, and in this game I just feel constantly pressured to keep moving or I'll be dead.

So I heard about these quarantine zones, but Ive yet to see one.
Are they on the first map or the 2nd one?

Technically the whole map is quarantined, but on the 2nd map there are smaller parts which look like designated 'Quarantine' zones with tents set up and blocked off areas

I must be one of the few people who didn't mind the final mission. I felt well-prepared for all the parkour parts by that point. A couple of earlier main story missions were far more bullshit than that one, I thought. Anything involving
a combat arena and losing my inventory
can go to hell. Stop this trend, developers!

Also, one other gripe with the main storyline: the "seizure" moments. Who thought those were a good idea? They ultimately served no purpose in the story except as an extreme annoyance.

The side content is much more enjoyable than the primary storyline, which seems to be the case with most modern open-world games.

In regards to guns, is there any difference between an orange and blue police rifle if all their stats are the same?

I think they have different skins.

Only a few hours in so far, and I think it's a damn fun game. I guess the only thing that bothers me thus far is that the world seems really detailed and awesome and it almost seems like it's a shame that you have to blow by most of it running from zombies. I like to take my time exploring with open world games, and in this game I just feel constantly pressured to keep moving or I'll be dead.

Thats gonna change. Some of the missions will have you searching a house where you will be forced to see its details.

Wait till you see the next area too. lol

Dominator

There is a side quest where I have to turn the gas back on, but how do I complete the final part? There's a heavy zombie underneath in some caged off part I can't seem to get access too. I have to get in there, kill him and turn the final valve.

Top Bottom