• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Denton

So I thought this game was great in the first 25 hours or so, but then I got to the Old Town and it became really fucking fantastic. Quests seem even better, more human and less wacky (kids and rupert, fan zone etc) and damn, the town is absolutely beautiful.

Also, THIS is how you do LoD, Ubisoft! Even at lowest PC settings, almost no pop-in is noticeable, all buildings look great even at distance compared to Unity. And that first person freerunning is immediately more fun than the automated third person stuff in AC. Techland fucking OWNS.

Oh and the easter eggs are awesome. Stumbled upon a Mario level and just recently killed a Clicker.

Vintage

There is a side quest where I have to turn the gas back on, but how do I complete the final part? There's a heavy zombie underneath in some caged off part I can't seem to get access too. I have to get in there, kill him and turn the final valve.

That bottom room has a tunnel leading to it. Look which direction it goes and look for entrance.

skybald

There is a side quest where I have to turn the gas back on, but how do I complete the final part? There's a heavy zombie underneath in some caged off part I can't seem to get access too. I have to get in there, kill him and turn the final valve.

Look down into the caged area and it should be obvious.

Some guy at the tower keeps mentioning something about a house with red smoke and how I should go check on it. I say I don't have the time, but maybe I'll give it a look.

I don't get a quest objective for it, so where is this house?

Denton

While we are speaking of guns, do any have anything other than the crappy iron sights?

Haven't seen any. Though I love the guns in this game, especially the german pistol. During some of the "outpost cleanup" missions I felt like fucking John Wick, dishing headshots left and right. Such a satisfying SPLAT every time :)

psychotron

Haven't seen any. Though I love the guns in this game, especially the german pistol. During some of the "outpost cleanup" missions I felt like fucking John Wick, dishing headshots left and right. Such a satisfying SPLAT every time :)

I've only found one machine gun so far, with 5 whole bullets, lol. Do they be become plentiful? I just finished the mission where
Rahim died

Denton

I've only found one machine gun so far, with 5 whole bullets, lol. Do they be become plentiful? I just finished the mission where
Rahim died

From what I remeber at that point I already had a gun and a machinegun. But yeah now they are plentiful. However there are not many types of guns, at least I only had two different pistols (US and german, german looks better), machinegun (military, police) and shotgun. You can buy ammo from any dealer, so that's not a problem. Though I wish I could carry more pistol ammo.
Melee still takes precedence, I use guns mostly against Rais's thugs.

Maximo

Doing the Antenna and the final Mission had me experience alittle vertigo, really afraid of heights and some parts in this game...Jesus.

Barzul

This game is sooooo much fun. I'm hooked. I have about 13 hours so far and I'm barely 20% into the story

Doing the Antenna and the final Mission had me experience alittle vertigo, really afraid of heights and some parts in this game...Jesus.

Man tell me about it. That side quest where you have to go get the UV lights man really brought out my fear of heights.

deejay

Found this body off shore. Is this an easter egg, of some kind? Seems to be dressed up and to out and about to be a survivor.

N2qL0uW.jpg

tK8Lb1b.jpg

I looked up when I saw the body and saw a pointy cliff where one could easily jump off of. I was thinking maybe suicide.

DirtyLarry

So for like 3 days I avoided doing one of the earlier night missions
(getting the Bolter's blood sample)
and 1) I cannot believe how easy that it wound up being 2) I finally feel comfortable at night. Running for your life in a sketchy manner really set so much of the tone for the game up until this point. I suppose I just could not use it, but I feel like if I game offers something like it, that means it is also meant to be used.

Anyway I got to Old Town earlier today, also got my Survivor and Agility skills to Level 12 and Power to Level 10, so I am finally feeling pretty damn badass. It really is (obviously) a much different game the more you power up, in a mostly very good way. I have to say the grappling hook is no doubt a game changer, but I am still not convinced if it is in a good way or not just yet. We will see.

I am just blown away by how much I am enjoying this game. Truly and sincerely, I just did not expect to like it so damn much. It is a shame it will probably wind up getting overlooked for any awards at the end of the year, as it very much could get some.

I actually was thinking about it today while playing, I wonder what the game would have been like if they implemented a Dead Rising type "countdown timer" element.

I am sure I am not the only person who has thought this, and maybe someone even has, I did not read every reply in this thread, but the story and characters are always urging you to take care of things ASAP, but as far as I can see, there is no real punishment for not doing so. You can have a main active objective but do whatever you want on the side and even sleep and somehow the campaign missions where people are urging you to get somewhere as soon as you can do not change at all.

I think if they did take a countdown timer approach it really would have taken this game to the next level and make it so much more tense than it already is. It would have naturally really affected the whole day night cycle aspect, but I don't know, I think it could have made many aspects of the story a lot more believable. It could have been a much different game if what time you got places affected the overall outcome which led to multiple endings. Or is this the case and I have just not noticed it?

Chabbles

Some guy at the tower keeps mentioning something about a house with red smoke and how I should go check on it. I say I don't have the time, but maybe I'll give it a look.

Look for exclamation marks on map for those quests.

void666

Banned

Look for map markers. It's white instead of blue and it looks like the ones you can place on the map.

IIRC from the tower drag the map all the way to the
left.

I think its funny how techland avoided modeling hair. Everyone is short haired, bald or have some kind of hat. Jade is the only one with longer hair and it's all blocky.

Oh and i just found a stasis field grenade. Pretty cool.

Are you fucking kidding me
I finished Rupert's side mission to get one good blueprint

AND IT DIDN'T SAVE
I turn on the game. The quest is done but No fucking blueprint. Glitchy ass game

Dr.Acula

Banned
LOL that ending
was so anti-climactic. I love how when you're climbing the tower you see one of the big guys all screaming at you then you just climb past him. Haha. Then the ending with the QTEs. I died like three times because I was so unused to inputting QTE commands.

Pretty awesome game, but that ending. I liked the part when you had to run from the all the volatiles.

ryseing

Picked this up on a whim because I needed something to last me until Bloodborne.

I am surprised how much I'm enjoying this. Really surprised no zombie game has done the parkour thing. It just feels natural. The early game is also fairly difficult, which is refreshing, if a bit frustrating at times. I've died 20 or so times, and I've been playing for fiveish hours.

The night risk/reward element is brilliant. Double XP is a fair tradeoff for having to deal with the special bastards. Pursuits are a blast. Haven't had that much excitement in any game for a while.

One complaint. Fix your pacing Techland. I know you can skip cutscenes but I don't want to miss the story, banal as it is. More telling me stuff while I'm doing other stuff please.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Beaten@ 34 hours. Loved it, would recommend. One of the best feelings of progression I think I have come across in a game. Techland you done good.

I like that, while the melee isn't deep, it isn't mindless either. There's a finesse and rhythm to it, at least. Enjoying more than I thought I would. Bring it on.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I'm playing co-op with one of my friends and we cannot beat the dying lunch side mission. It is fucking impossible. We get 40 seconds to kill a total of 60 Zombies and there isn't enough time or Zombies to do it. It's pissing me off.

Denton

I'm playing co-op with one of my friends and we cannot beat the dying lunch side mission. It is fucking impossible. We get 40 seconds to kill a total of 60 Zombies and there isn't enough time or Zombies to do it. It's pissing me off.
Hah that was one of the easier challenges for us. Most tries were spent on the psycho one, slashing zombies in half with an axe.

Ominym

Banned
The twins...I hate them !

I won't spoil anything for you, but it only gets worse.

Actual spoilers for their last mission which comes later in the game:
Maybe I'm just bitter, but the whole "end" to their questline was a total fucking bummer. I mean, sure, you get the smug satisfaction of their thing not working but that's it really. And you have to go so far out of your way to get to where they are for it. Ugh.

Ruff

Pretty much finished everything I can find to do in this game now. I loved it. My PC is getting on a bit now so i had to play the game in Fullbright and all settings on low just to get a playable framerate outdoors and I still loved it. I liked interior quests more since the the lighting actually worked nice in there with shadows and stuff, any place that used the sun as a light source looked.. not so great.

lmao.

bigDave

looking for 3 people available for polyamory trophy on PS4, right now

ID: BdCHighVoltage

Please i'm getting crazy for this stupid trophy

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So, I still don't have a gun. I'm about 12% deep and apparently my friend has two guns at the same point. I just did the bit where
you need to get the blueprints from the dead guys at the petrol station where there's a guy on top of the roof with a rifle and I couldn't work out how to kill him without a gun
. What am I missing? It's also a safe house.

So, I still don't have a gun. I'm about 12% deep and apparently my friend has two guns at the same point. I just did the bit where
you need to get the blueprints from the dead guys at the petrol station where there's a guy on top of the roof with a rifle and I couldn't work out how to kill him without a gun

u can use shield as u run straight at him or use molotov

ryseing

There's a way to get on the roof.

Has Techland commented on whether or not they will add the option to reconfigure the controls in a future patch?

I'm fine with bumper jumper, but I really want jump on LB instead of RB considering I spend most of my time in Destiny and jump is LB for me.

Chabbles

Finished this yesterday, solo playthrough @ 41:52 and loved every minute of it. But damn could this game use a HUDless option for those times when you just want to go off the beaten path and mess about for awhile.. night would be so much more immersive hudless.

Thorgal

Finished this yesterday, solo playthrough @ 41:52 and loved every minute of it. But damn could this game use a HUDless option for those times when you just want to go off the beaten path and mess about for awhile.. night would be so much more immersive hudless.

You can .

Neogaf and deadendthrills user Jim2point0 made a cheatengine table that removes the hud but also allows for freecam , Timestop. and other goodies

http://www.deadendthrills.com/forum/discussion/392/guide-dying-light

It's how we make hudless screenshots in the screenshot thread.

jet1911

I love the guns in this game, they are so fucking lethal.

atpbx

I wonder what the game would have been like if they implemented a Dead Rising type "countdown timer" element.

I am sure I am not the only person who has thought this, and maybe someone even has, I did not read every reply in this thread, but the story and characters are always urging you to take care of things ASAP, but as far as I can see, there is no real punishment for not doing so. You can have a main active objective but do whatever you want on the side and even sleep and somehow the campaign missions where people are urging you to get somewhere as soon as you can do not change at all.

I think if they did take a countdown timer approach it really would have taken this game to the next level and make it so much more tense than it already is. It would have naturally really affected the whole day night cycle aspect, but I don't know, I think it could have made many aspects of the story a lot more believable. It could have been a much different game if what time you got places affected the overall outcome which led to multiple endings. Or is this the case and I have just not noticed it?

I for one would not of bought it, and its one of the reasons why I dont like the DR games.
I play at my own pace and do my own thing, especially in SP games.

Denton

My main gripe with the game is HUD and specifically, showing enemies on minimap. That shit should be god damn optional.

ryuken-d

While we are speaking of guns, do any have anything other than the crappy iron sights?

people wanting anything to do with guns in this game should just play something else. the guns are very plain pistol assault rifle and shotgun with no upgrades. the only time I ever used my rifle was against a bunch of humans. This game thrives by being different in just the right ways. even the fetch quests seem awesome when you are running/falling/jumping across town with a samuri sword spewing toxic/fire/electricity. This game is truly one of a kind and it looks amazing.

ryuken-d

I got my first gun from that guy. I remember me flying though the air with an axe I knocked him down and chopped his head off. the construction site was intense all the dudes have guns and it was at night so I had to kill a bunch of the crazies too. so satisfying. oh yeah to unlock the safehouse
you need to open the little door on the roof.

Chabbles

The PC screenshot thread

Few examples .

TBF not many have been taken , partly because of that Damn CA that destroys almost any good shot + that if we remove the CA it also removes part of the tonemapping and with it , the atmosphere is gone .

Nuts, well thanks for the link.

They gave some decent HUD options in Dead Island too, real shame theres none in this.
Even some sort of "free roam" mode would be cool, where all HUD and missions are disabled(but you can still rank up), Would be sweet.

Guns are a last ditch emergency weapon for me. They make so much noise and the sensitivity in ADS is atrocious and can't be changed on consoles. So I don't like to use them. I always have a police rifle in my quick access wheel though.

NIN90

I wish there were more viable blunt weapons in the mid to late game. So far it's pretty much only pickaxes in the shops, everything else is blade weapons.

I don't think I'll ever get tired of smashing in a zombie face.

The challenges like Psycho and Dying Lunch become easier with judicious use of firecrackers FYI.

If you switch to mainly using guns when they show up I'm not sure you're doing it right

psychotron

Location spoiler question

Anyone noticed some frequent stutters inside the school or Rais' compound interior? It runs great everywhere else but those areas are stuttering hard.

So my CE finally arrived this morning:

It's a Collectors Edition exclusive to Poland. Now if you're like me and you're not Polish this is what you want to know about the box content:

-> PS4 retail copy PAL version. Cover is in Polish, game in English + other languages !
-> Steelbook case, English cover
-> Hardback 100-pages artbook, table of contents is in Polish otherwise there is no text just artwork.
-> Survival handbook/outlet, completely in Polish, it's basically a manual or a quick preview
-> Lanyard and Stickers both in English
-> L size T-shirt in English
-> Official Soundtrack CD, box cover in Polish
-> Code for Dying Light: Nightmare Row eBook, Polish version
-> The Volatile statue

Well I don't' usually buy collectors editions but I think this is by far the most content rich CE out there. At least looking at the physical stuff that comes with, usually everything in those editions is digital only.
The volatile statue is surprisingly well detailed and steelbook case looks nice.
Also importing the Polish copy is currently the only way to get a physical copy in Europe.

I'm giving away the code for Dying Light: Nightmare Row eBook (Polish version) so if anyone wants it quote this part.

Top Bottom