• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, I played for around 7 hours with no issues at all but today I have crashed 4 times with "Dying Light has stopped working", is this a known issue? Any fixes?

Beat the game and am now running through trophies. The Dying Lunch 3 challenge (headshots with auto rifle) I keep failing at. Also I swear I've unveiled all of both maps but still don't have the safe zone trophy. No clue where the last one is.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Hmm, I played for around 7 hours with no issues at all but today I have crashed 4 times with "Dying Light has stopped working", is this a known issue? Any fixes?
I had never had a crash before either, but yesterday when I was playing co-op, the game crashed on me about 4 times. It was frustrating.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I had never had a crash before either, but yesterday when I was playing co-op, the game crashed on me about 4 times. It was frustrating.

Funny enough this was co op, it seems it's a co op issue. I even got a BSOD to top it off. Game works perfectly while solo.

Jarrod38

As much as I like this game I find the parkour to be frustrating at times. Sometimes I can climb things from 5 feet off the ground but cannot climb onto something a bush.

hunchback

Does the loot change up for medium difficulty lock picking containers? I'm only 5 hours in but have noticed you get the same loot from them. I'm a little disappointed with the lock picking. It seems way to easy. I rarely break a pick and have more than I know what to do with. Is it better to sell the weapons you find or dismantle them into parts?
I finally got to the early mission where you get chased in the dark. They did a great job on that. My heartbeat immediately started pounding and I got the sweaty palm's. I managed to hide in a pipe. Can they not fit into pipes when chasing you? That seemed to confuse them. I'm really enjoying this game despite the fact I have trouble with the jump button. That's just because of the arthritis in my hands. I'm off to bash zombie brains.

antitrop

Does the loot change up for medium difficulty lock picking containers? I'm only 5 hours in but have noticed you get the same loot from them. I'm a little disappointed with the lock picking. It seems way to easy. I rarely break a pick and have more than I know what to do with. Is it better to sell the weapons you find or dismantle them into parts?
I finally got to the early mission where you get chased in the dark. They did a great job on that. My heartbeat immediately started pounding and I got the sweaty palm's. I managed to hide in a pipe. Can they not fit into pipes when chasing you? That seemed to confuse them. I'm really enjoying this game despite the fact I have trouble with the jump button. That's just because of the arthritis in my hands. I'm off to bash zombie brains.

Metal Parts are one of the most common things to run across, after the first several hours of the game, scrapping weapons for parts became absolutely worthless.

I had 99+ Lockpicks and 99+ Metal Parts for the vast majority of the game.

KingKong

Man these boomers and respawning at safehouses make the game really frustrating. I would be fine with them knocking you down to 1hp but instadeath is so lame

Leb

You know, I feel like most modern AAA games can easily be played with a controller, but I just can't see how to make it work with this game. From parkour to melee to gunplay, it's all just supremely frustrating.

xkramz

You know, I feel like most modern AAA games can easily be played with a controller, but I just can't see how to make it work with this game. From parkour to melee to gunplay, it's all just supremely frustrating.
At first I had problems switching weapons and secondary items because I was used to holding the right Dpad or left Dpad to switch items. Now I just press the Dpad while free running to be evasive while I get the right primary weapon and or secondary item equipped

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Finally got through the dying lunch side mission I was having problems with yesterday with co-op done solo. It was much easier. But now here's a bigger problem, the get 30 headshots one. Godddddd. These challenges piss me off sometimes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Weird, I can't imagine playing this with mouse and keyboard!

antitrop

Finally got through the dying lunch side mission I was having problems with yesterday with co-op done solo. It was much easier. But now here's a bigger problem, the get 30 headshots one. Godddddd. These challenges piss me off sometimes.

The 30 headshot one is more luck than skill. Same with the ones where you have to sever specific body parts.

Elitist1945

yes, you do a prologue mission where it teaches you how to play the game. is that so bad?

Having to do one mission isn't bad at all. I thought it'd do it like some other games and make you have to do a bunch of missions first.

Either way it would have been nice to be able to do co-op from the first moment I started.

Finished the story mode but I feel like playing some more of the side quests before probably never coming back to this game?

Huh usually not many games can keep me interested after beating the story mode.

Maybe its the fun gameplay and the main characters voice I really like (he voices Captain America on that Avengers Assemble cartoon so it's funny me hearing Cap say fuck this fuck that etc... )

Ellite25

Bought this today and played for a couple hours. So far so good. The parkour is really fun and the game is pretty gorgeous on PC (although the game with slow down a ton sometimes, especially when a cut scene starts). Also, I openned co op and some dude came into my game and gave me some crazy powerful weapons lol

I'm in Old Town now, and I'm impressed with what Techland did with the location. It makes it feel like the Slums was just the training map, and Old Town is where you can really open up your free-running and combat abilities.

For the side-missions, I had about 22 or so done by the time I left the Slums. There were a couple more active ones, but I really couldn't give a crap about finding x for y and 'investigating' a location I'd just already explored in a story mission. I've complete several more in Old Town, but at this point I'm ready for the story to start wrapping itself up. Not that I'm not enjoying the game - I'd just like to see what predictable plot turn happens next.

red731

Bought this today and played for a couple hours. So far so good. The parkour is really fun and the game is pretty gorgeous on PC (although the game with slow down a ton sometimes, especially when a cut scene starts). Also, I openned co op and some dude came into my game and gave me some crazy powerful weapons lol

Hey - slowdowns - disable nVidia DOF (try playing with it and let yourself get cought by a zombie - slowdown? disable DOF and try again, should be allright)

By the way - just you wait until you'll progress in your ability tree. If you feel parkour is great now, when you have no skills, then wait for when you do have much higher level (go in skill trees and press (360gamepad here) X, to show whan skills can go :)

also :

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give new patch plox

Fliesen

I've sunk plenty of hours into the game, some of my takeaways:

The crafting system is nice, but mostly pointless. especially during the "second half" of the Slums part of the game, the weapons you find along the way are so much better than some enhanced wrench from 5 minutes ago. This slows down dramatically
in Old Town
where you actually find weapons that are worse than what you currently have, since you're approaching "maximum weapon level" territory.

Some parts of the game are bugged as hell. I, for example, am currently stuck at "1000 survivor exp below lvl 25" - the game thinks i am at max exp, so i'm not getting nor losing any when i die - yet i am not lvl 25.
also, the trophy for climbing 8000m is super glitched, ... i should have gotten that one ages ago.

Some of the sidequests are just super lame. Like "collect lighter fluid" "collect painkillers" - which are random pickups from stashes across the slums that you weren't able to find before getting the quest.

overall, it's still an amazing freeroam-fuck-around-while-listening-to-podcasts-or-watching-youtube-game.

Ellite25

Hey - slowdowns - disable nVidia DOF (try playing with it and let yourself get cought by a zombie - slowdown? disable DOF and try again, should be allright)

By the way - just you wait until you'll progress in your ability tree. If you feel parkour is great now, when you have no skills, then wait for when you do have much higher level (go in skill trees and press (360gamepad here) X, to show whan skills can go :)

also :

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give new patch plox
Thanks I will have to try that. When I get caught by a zombie is usually when the game freaks out.

And yeah the guy I was playing with was jumping off of zombies' heads and grappling everywhere. I didn't know wtf was going lol

The grapple hook in this game is so much fun! I feel like Spiderman. Is there any way to make it unlimited?
There is a mod on the nexus, as well as a bunch of other cool stuff (I recommned checking out advanced moves). Makes me wonder if new moves are coming in future DLC or something, cause there are things people are unlocking such as wall running that are fully functional...

link to grapple hook mod

edit: PC version only of course, probably should have asked before lol

Corpekata

Banned
I doubt wall running would be DLC. They probably initially had it and scrapped it given most of the game's environments don't really lend well to it. Looking over the list it's likely just discarded ideas.

I tried both and prefer mouse. Better for navigation, headshots (pistol is delicious in this game) and aimed melee. But ymmv, friend of mine prefers gamepad.

Yeah, I see you were using mouse and kb in your video. I'm stuck on console though so DS4 for me, but I thought I'd ask to see what other people think.

This game is holding me out until The Order releases.

You dont encounter them very often and you typically have time to get away.

Jesus Christ. Some of you are so damn temperamental i seriously cant imagine how you finish any games or havent given up games altogether.

:D They are a bullshit enemy. Not my fault. I wasted all of my upgrade points on the health perks and it is still a one hit kill. They hide them behind doors constantly and when you die you go all the way to a safe house and lose experience points. There isn't anything fun about fighting them in my experience.

I've sunk plenty of hours into the game, some of my takeaways:

Some parts of the game are bugged as hell. I, for example, am currently stuck at "1000 survivor exp below lvl 25" - the game thinks i am at max exp, so i'm not getting nor losing any when i die - yet i am not lvl 25.

This is a very common problem, hopefully it has high priority to be fixed with a patch.

also, the trophy for climbing 8000m is super glitched, ... i should have gotten that one ages ago.

Are you sure about that? I was able to track my progress through the XB1 achievement tracker and it really just takes forever, but my progress was increasing normally. It's just a LOT of climbing. I had finished the main story, all sidequests, all safe houses/QZs...basically everything, plus a whole lot of exploration, and I was at about 80% of that achievement when I finished. If you used the grappling hook a lot as you progressed, none of that counted. It's also one of the rarest achievements/trophies in the game for those reasons.

Some of the sidequests are just super lame. Like "collect lighter fluid" "collect painkillers" - which are random pickups from stashes across the slums that you weren't able to find before getting the quest.

To be fair, the lighter fluid shows up very frequently once you make that your active quest, and the painkillers are only found in pharmacies, which somewhat makes sense from a story perspective.

Denton

You dont encounter them very often and you typically have time to get away.

Jesus Christ. Some of you are so damn temperamental i seriously cant imagine how you finish any games or havent given up games altogether.
This. Giving up on a great game because of a rare type of enemy that's easy as hell to kill?

The Foul

This. Giving up on a great game because of a rare type of enemy that's easy as hell to kill?

I wouldn't call it a great game, just my opinion. Highly derivative and filled with cheap tricks like the boomers to extend its play length and provide an illusion of challenge/difficulty, again just my opinion.

The vast majority of my deaths in the game were to these cheap enemies and their deliberate placement in the game world. Probably 20 boomer deaths all up if you do the sidequests too. Its surprising the first time, lame the second time and just outright wasting your time after that, most every other cheap "idea" like the boomers are copied from other games that did it way better (lock-picking, looting, even scenarios ideas like "taking your gear off you to fight in an arena", the list goes on).

I think Dying Light is mediocre at best, but, that's just an opinion and its a good thing its not shared by everyone. Angry Joe and Jim Sterling were right about Dying Light, fwiw.

I wouldn't call it a great game, just my opinion. Highly derivative and filled with cheap tricks like the boomers to extend its play length and provide an illusion of challenge/difficulty, again just my opinion.

The vast majority of my deaths in the game were to these cheap enemies and their deliberate placement in the game world. Probably 20 boomer deaths all up if you do the sidequests too. Its surprising the first time, lame the second time and just outright wasting your time after that, most every other cheap "idea" like the boomers are copied from other games that did it way better (lock-picking, looting, even scenarios ideas like "taking your gear off you to fight in an arena", the list goes on).

I think Dying Light is mediocre at best, but, that's just an opinion and its a good thing its not shared by everyone. Angry Joe and Jim Sterling were right about Dying Light, fwiw.

I think the game largely wastes your time, in a way that reminds me of Borderlands.

Fliesen

This is a very common problem, hopefully it has high priority to be fixed with a patch.
i do hope so as well.
Are you sure about that? I was able to track my progress through the XB1 achievement tracker and it really just takes forever, but my progress was increasing normally. It's just a LOT of climbing. I had finished the main story, all sidequests, all safe houses/QZs...basically everything, plus a whole lot of exploration, and I was at about 80% of that achievement when I finished. If you used the grappling hook a lot as you progressed, none of that counted. It's also one of the rarest achievements/trophies in the game for those reasons.
I would have expected to have gotten it by now, especially since - according to the stats screen in the main menu i'm far beyond those 8km climbed.

To be fair, the lighter fluid shows up very frequently once you make that your active quest, and the painkillers are only found in pharmacies, which somewhat makes sense from a story perspective.

it does make sense, and it's "fun" to figure this out - still it's one of the laziest padding quests. The game would be entirely fine without them. I don't see the point - not like the game lacks side-missions to begin with.

Vintage

That "filled with cheap tricks" is literally one enemy that is very rare in the game. A bit annoying, but I managed to avoid it easily by dashing back or kicking it.

That "filled with cheap tricks" is literally one enemy that is very rare in the game. A bit annoying, but I managed to avoid it easily by dashing back or kicking it.

They use many cheap tricks to extend the play length. Boomers, losing xp when you die, endless fetch quests, drip-feeding you basic mechanics through the upgrade system, talking heads just reading lengthy, badly written scripts.. It feels like a Ubisoft game where they just pack it with things that take up time instead of things that are fun or interesting.

and yet he still soldiers on, what a trooper.

They use many cheap tricks to extend the play length. Boomers, losing xp when you die, endless fetch quests, drip-feeding you basic mechanics through the upgrade system, talking heads just reading lengthy, badly written scripts.. It feels like a Ubisoft game where they just pack it with things that take up time instead of things that are fun or interesting.

boomers can be easily avoided, just pay attention and gtfo when they get close.
you don't lose that much xp when you die, and it only seems to take away xp the first time you've died in a while. if you don't want to do the fetch quests then don't do them? the devs wanted to make the game like an rpg so it does borrow some of those time consuming methods though.

Vintage

Exp loss is very small and it introduces a nice risk-reward system. You can go out at night and get many survivor points, but if you overextend you'll die and lose some. It's a survival game, after all.
Fetch quests are the main mechanic of all open-world games. There's nothing wrong with that if these are well done, and imo DL has quite interesting and nicely hand-crafted quests and sidequests.
Don't know what you mean about upgrade system, because that's how upgrades work in games.
And while dialogue writing is poor, I wouldn't call them lengthy in any way.

Top Bottom