• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I've sunk plenty of hours into the game, some of my takeaways:

The crafting system is nice, but mostly pointless. especially during the "second half" of the Slums part of the game, the weapons you find along the way are so much better than some enhanced wrench from 5 minutes ago. This slows down dramatically
in Old Town
where you actually find weapons that are worse than what you currently have, since you're approaching "maximum weapon level" territory.

I found that the weapon mods that add to the handling and damage of the weapon become much more important, and those are rare. I can mod a weap to significantly stronger than what I pick up, so that gives me a reason to hold on to what I have.

But yeah, there's a point around levels 6-12 where it feels like everything you pick up is better than what you had.

They use many cheap tricks to extend the play length. Boomers, losing xp when you die, endless fetch quests, drip-feeding you basic mechanics through the upgrade system, talking heads just reading lengthy, badly written scripts.. It feels like a Ubisoft game where they just pack it with things that take up time instead of things that are fun or interesting.

In "story" areas, boomers don't respawn. So if it kills you, when you go back it's gone.

Saw this on Steam:

nKgzuqe.gif

So sick :p

Dr.Acula

Banned
Once you reach the higher up levels in skills (in the 20s) does the game become too easy and less scary in a way?

Somewhat. But I've finished the game and still only in the high-teens in level. Plus they have set-pieces which are kinda challenging no matter what.

Once you reach the higher up levels in skills (in the 20s) does the game become too easy and less scary in a way?

it becomes easier and less scary even before that, mostly when you get the grappling hook. i was afraid to go out at night until i got the hook, now i'm soaring around the rooftops like batman while the volatiles are none the wiser.

Skyzard

Banned
Can't wait to try out some mods after I complete the game. Unlimited grappling hook and difficulty changes sound great. Will definitely give them a go, thanks.

Hopefully they still work by then!

Had to take a break as I went away for a week or so shortly after it came out...and now evolve is out...but I'm coming back for sure, was really enjoying it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Do you have to launch the game from Dying Light manager for the mods to take affect?

patientx

Fro the last 15 days I am trying to get a better performance out of this. I still get sub 30s outside the worse part is fps difference is very high very quick which is gicing me headaches. I am an avid gamer since 95 but never got this kind of headaches from any game. I got amd 8320e + 280x + 8 gb ddr + ssd hdd. I disabled everything from inside the game also I sue launcher and further disable everything from there too. Still no performance gain at alll.

There is a mod on the nexus, as well as a bunch of other cool stuff (I recommned checking out advanced moves). Makes me wonder if new moves are coming in future DLC or something, cause there are things people are unlocking such as wall running that are fully functional...

link to grapple hook mod

edit: PC version only of course, probably should have asked before lol

I doubt wall running would be DLC. They probably initially had it and scrapped it given most of the game's environments don't really lend well to it. Looking over the list it's likely just discarded ideas.

I swear I've done wall running in the game. I've been playing coop and we were doing wall running in one of the first quarantine zones we did (the one that's like a warehouse with chemicals spilled all over the floor), and we were doing it again in the sewer area. I just loaded the game up and tried, even going back to the sewers, and can't seem to do it.

I know there was at least one patch sometime after release. Maybe they patched it out?

I swear I've done wall running in the game. I've been playing coop and we were doing wall running in one of the first quarantine zones we did (the one that's like a warehouse with chemicals spilled all over the floor), and we were doing it again in the sewer area. I just loaded the game up and tried, even going back to the sewers, and can't seem to do it.

I know there was at least one patch sometime after release. Maybe they patched it out?

Yeah theres a skill called tic tac that lets you wall run. I don't have it yet though.

Yeah theres a skill called tic tac that lets you wall run. I don't have it yet though.

That skill is vertical. The hidden skill in the mod is horizontal.

Yea I have Tic Tac and can do the vertical run. I'm talking about a horizontal run though. I swear I've done it, but when I posted before I had just tried and couldn't do it anymore. Also, since it was in a coop game, I was able to see the other player do it and I'm pretty sure he even had an animation for it (feet running on the wall, one hand touching the wall).

Skyzard

Banned
I really hope you can horizontal wall-run one way or the other...1/2 the reason I wanted to keep playing was to unlock it. Sounds crazy they wouldn't include it...

Rflagg

I seem to be stuck thanks to a glitch, when I got to the story mission a pact with Rais I wanted to finish my side quests first, but now it is the only mission left and my way point won't show up so I can't seem to get past this mission.

Corpekata

Banned
Finally finished. Really dug the game but holy hell is the villain just terrible. They don't really establish Crane enough for this whole "battle of philosophies" junk to really work. He just ends up seeming like a weirdo with a nonsensical focus on the player. Maybe he's just got a crush on Chris Redfield.

So, im at 92% and guessing I'll be ending the game soon. My question, will the game let me explore around Harran after the final main mission or will it go the Borderlands/Souls way of ending the game by restarting from the beginning except with all my skills and inventory.

Fro the last 15 days I am trying to get a better performance out of this. I still get sub 30s outside the worse part is fps difference is very high very quick which is gicing me headaches. I am an avid gamer since 95 but never got this kind of headaches from any game. I got amd 8320e + 280x + 8 gb ddr + ssd hdd. I disabled everything from inside the game also I sue launcher and further disable everything from there too. Still no performance gain at alll.

My PC is average at best and I can play at 1080p with these settings,

Map Size - small
View Distance - off
Ambient Occlusion - off
HBAO+ - off
Depth of Field - off
Motion Blur - off
Anti-Aliasing - off

I'm totally hooked on this game. Early on I thought it was ok but once I started unlocking more abilities the more fun it got. The controls are still sometimes iffy because of the first person view while jumping onto some places but I just now unlocked the grappling hook so that's no longer much concern I hope.

I'm still terrible against those fast enemies and especially at night. Once they get a hold of me I usually end up dying and that is where things get very frustrating. Last time I lost like 2,000 points. Some of the missions are boring fetch-quests though because you keep going over the same area back and forth but overall this game is a ton of fun.

AEREC

Alt+Tab out of the game and back in...Im playing with everything on high (except for textures at medium) and doing this forced it to use Windows 8's triple buffering and it made a huge difference in FPS for me.

NIN90

So, im at 92% and guessing I'll be ending the game soon. My question, will the game let me explore around Harran after the final main mission or will it go the Borderlands/Souls way of ending the game by restarting from the beginning except with all my skills and inventory.

The former.

Finally finished. Really dug the game but holy hell is the villain just terrible. They don't really establish Crane enough for this whole "battle of philosophies" junk to really work. He just ends up seeming like a weirdo with a nonsensical focus on the player. Maybe he's just got a crush on Chris Redfield.

"Crane, we need you to secure some antizin so that we don't all die, but first we need you to risk your life finding some crayons in the elementary school. In the game it would take me 10 minutes to say this for some reason."

derExperte

So the game won't be easy mode when I make it to Old Town?

By the way, am I still pretty far from making it there?

The enemies eventually stop leveling up with you but I don't know when that happens, around lvl20 maybe?. The last few hours felt much easier and I could bring down even the big monsters with two or three hits while taking no fall damage anymore (which was the main reason for dying early on). Difficulty progression isn't DL's strongest aspect tbh.

For some reason, I've never been able to fully unlock the Infamy Bridge... I have to keep going up the suspension cables and not the inside...

"Crane, we need you to secure some antizin so that we don't all die, but first we need you to risk your life finding some crayons in the elementary school. In the game it would take me 10 minutes to say this for some reason."
I've been skipping almost all of the non-story dialog. It just takes so long and I don't care to hear it. Just point me and fire.

The enemies eventually stop leveling up with you but I don't know when that happens, around lvl20 maybe?. The last few hours felt much easier and I could bring down even the big monsters with two or three hits while taking no fall damage anymore (which was the main reason for dying early on). Difficulty progression isn't DL's strongest aspect tbh.
I've noticed that the regular zombies have been mobbing me more than early on. They'll latch onto me when I'm trying to vault over them. I actually got killed by a mob for the first time yesterday. I can't wait to unlock the auto-escape skill.

Vintage

One thing bugged me through the campaign (major, MAJOR SPOILERS!):
Early in the game you go to recover the first drop of antizin, then GRE tells you to destroy everything, but before doing it Crane takes one doze of antizin and puts it in his pocket. What happened to that antizin? Why didn't he used it on himself, or more importantly, why didn't he save Jade? Through the whole game and especially the part where Jade dies I was expecting him to use it, but I ended up screaming at the screen when he didn't.
Did I miss some cutscene where that capsule is used/lost/whatever?

Top Bottom