• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

One thing bugged me through the campaign (major, MAJOR SPOILERS!):
Early in the game you go to recover the first drop of antizin, then GRE tells you to destroy everything, but before doing it Crane takes one doze of antizin and puts it in his pocket. What happened to that antizin? Why didn't he used it on himself, or more importantly, why didn't he save Jade? Through the whole game and especially the part where Jade dies I was expecting him to use it, but I ended up screaming at the screen when he didn't.
Did I miss some cutscene where that capsule is used/lost/whatever?

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I did skip a few cutscenes so I wasn't that worried about it
and thought he might have already gave it away or used it. It was crazy how they were all gung-ho about burning the antizin and then the very next thing they tell you to do is to go get more antizin
...could have been more thought out in my opinion.

pa22word

Early in the game you go to recover the first drop of antizin, then GRE tells you to destroy everything, but before doing it Crane takes one doze of antizin and puts it in his pocket. What happened to that antizin? Why didn't he used it on himself, or more importantly, why didn't he save Jade? Through the whole game and especially the part where Jade dies I was expecting him to use it, but I ended up screaming at the screen when he didn't.

Something tells me that that antizen was originally going to function a lot more like the malaria mechanic in Far Cry 2 (some in game sequences hint at this with the "seizures"), but was cut close near the end of development for reasons that probably have a lot to do with Far Cry 2 being hated by everyone under the sun (but me v_v), and that scene early in the game was the devs way of handwaving it away where previously it was probably a pretty big mechanic in the game. It isn't the only thing that was toned down, either. We know that the clock was originally going to play a much larger function in the game at some point in development, even having a button dedicated to looking at it, but in the final version it's pretty pointless as anything other than to make sure you get stuff done before nightfall.

Also it's worth pointing out that the game drops several hints throughout the game that antizin doesn't stop the disease, but merely slows it down, with lots of bad side effects as the disease starts to catch back up. Just look at the state brecken is in when you show up, essentially meaningless to the cause as anything other than a voice because his ability to do stuff is severely hampered by his deteriorating state.

Grisby

Kind of going back and cleaning up the challenges that I missed. So great to hear Crane being a huge dick to some of these guys.

Was a fun game but it got pretty easy near the end, and I wish the mission design would have been a bit more diverse.
Dyling Light's travel is the most fun travel system in any open world game.
It's no Sunset Overdrive, but it is a lot of fun.

Skyzard

Banned
Anyone had any trouble with the mods and playing online in co-op?

I'd like the watch and wall-running for sure.

Just turned it on again first time in a week, graphics are pretty damn good imo. Does feel great being in the world.

I'd take infinite Neon Dash in inFAMOUS SS/FL over it, but it is still really great. Especially with the grappling hook.

I still think this game has the most fluid parkour I've seen in probably any game. Honestly, if I went back to play AC, it would probably just piss me off.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
"Crane, we need you to secure some antizin so that we don't all die, but first we need you to risk your life finding some crayons in the elementary school. In the game it would take me 10 minutes to say this for some reason."
I don't know about you but
when I got the crayons it was just Erol and co. in the entrance to the school and there was absolutely no risk to getting them.
Didn't seem like an unreasonable request at all and I quite enjoy all the crayon scribblings that have since appeared throughout the tower.

Yeah, that seemed like a plot point they just forgot about.

We can pretend that he added it to the small amount he got from Rais as a reward for one of the missions but we know that didn't happen. It's just a plot hole.

Night creeps me out so badly that I find a co op game because I can't do it alone.

It's not so bad. They don't hear shit really unless you break something or blow up something. Volitiles in huge droves suck ass though. I've killed very few of them. But it's super beneficial. If you can, do missions or something while you're out. The more you travel and the more you do and survive, the more XP you get.

It's not so bad. They don't hear shit really unless you break something or blow up something. Volitiles in huge droves suck ass though. I've killed very few of them. But it's super beneficial. If you can, do missions or something while you're out. The more you travel and the more you do and survive, the more XP you get.
Hang out on the bridge to farm XP at night too until you feel confident enough to run around the rest of the map.

There is a safe zone at the top of the bridge too in case you're killed.

Hang out on the bridge to farm XP at night too until you feel confident enough to run around the rest of the map.

There is a safe zone at the top of the bridge too in case you're killed.

I can't actually access that safe zone unless I take the suspension cables up to the top of the bridge... I have no idea how to unlock the bottom doors for me to get in and go up and such.

I can't actually access that safe zone unless I take the suspension cables up to the top of the bridge... I have no idea how to unlock the bottom doors for me to get in and go up and such.
There is a police van against the wall of the right bridge support. Jump on it and climb up the bars and around until you make it to a little ledge with a zip line to the other side of the bridge. Continue up from there.

Be careful if you've already triggered the side quest for the UV lamps on the bridge. There will be zombies and a boomer on the second and third levels.

There is a police van against the wall of the right bridge support. Jump on it and climb up the bars and around until you make it to a little ledge with a zip line to the other side of the bridge. Continue up from there.

Be careful if you've already triggered the side quest for the UV lamps on the bridge. There will be zombies and a boomer on the second and third levels.

I'm already in old town and done as many side quests as possible in the slums. So going up on that little ledge will let me into the bridge so I can traverse upwards and unlock everything easily? I did that UV Lamp mission a long time ago. For the mission to get across the break in the bridge, I literally climbed up the suspension cable up and then down the other one on the other side. Heart pounding stuff lol.

I'm already in old town and done as many side quests as possible in the slums. So going up on that little ledge will let me into the bridge so I can traverse upwards and unlock everything easily? I did that UV Lamp mission a long time ago. For the mission to get across the break in the bridge, I literally climbed up the suspension cable up and then down the other one on the other side. Heart pounding stuff lol.
If you have the grappling hook you can skip the first climbing segment and just zip right up to the metal ledge and do inside the door.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Night creeps me out so badly that I find a co op game because I can't do it alone.
I love it. I barely ever even turn my flashlight on for more than a second or two at a time. Feels so badass.

Recently I chilled around some volatiles at dawn so that I could chase them, I really wanted to see where they wound up. Honestly wasn't disappointed, I was able to tease them and mess them up with the UV Flashlight but if I went in to try for a serious kill the rest would swarm. Since then I've unlocked trap bombs...

pa22word

"Crane, we need you to secure some antizin so that we don't all die, but first we need you to risk your life finding some crayons in the elementary school. In the game it would take me 10 minutes to say this for some reason."

Wasn't this a quest posted on the board though?

Those quests are intentionally like that, because they are posted there for any runner who happens to be passing by and has the time to go out and do it. Plus, as another poster pointed out, it runs directly parallel to Errol's stuff to the point you actually have to go out of your way not to do it, so it's basically world building exposition disguised as a quest. It's essential to the game because it gives the world depth at the cost of nothing to the player other than hitting the F key on a bunch of objects laying directly in your path anyway. Once you bring them back you also get some flavor art in your room emphasizing that the building is a living, thriving place that you are simply more of a moving part of rather than a single entity in.

It's one of the cooler parts of the quest design in the game, actually, because there are numerous "one off" quests like this that overlap on other stuff that you can do inbetween other quests that add a layer of depth on top of the world that helps breath life into it and makes it feel more like a real place in the world vs. just some random tropical level you do quests in.

Not that far. There are definitely a handful of obnoxiously drawn out conversations but they're not super frequent. It is a buzzkill when it happens, though.

Afro

Hope Yager Development borrows and perfects the parkour system from this game for Dead Island 2. Dying Light + bright, colorful palette = fun.

edit: from the preview vids it doesn't look like they're really focusing on vertical movement. :(

EekTheKat

Well, lesson learned. There are some serious issues with how games are pre-bundled with season passes.

I just had to request a refund from Sony regarding Dying Light Ultimate Edition pre-order because the Ultimate Edition did not actually contain a working Season Pass.

In this particular case, I suspect when Sony corrected the Gamestop error they caused a second error by not adding the Season Pass (entitlement) to the Dying Light Ultimate Edition bundle they were selling.

I can see this through my purchase history and expanding the Dying Light Ultimate Edition Bundle and see nothing in there that would function as a season pass.

There is a link to a broken "Dying Light Season Pass" that's available to download - this was part of the original "Ultimate Edition" but it's 0kb (making it look like it was removed, but never replaced) . The end result is that PSN errors out (error CE-37700-7) when attempting to download it.

Glitched Ultimate Edition owners like me can actually see a separate "Dying Light Season Pass" that's available for sale, while DLC content that was supposed to come with the season pass is listed as on sale for $4.99.

There is a separate Season Pass and Dying Light game that actually works, but the Ultimate Edition Bundle that was supposed to come with a season pass does not actually work.

To Sony support's credit, the guy on the phone was helpful in getting the refund done. Phone Support seem to know about the error but it's nothing low tier support personnel can take care of. Playstation phone support is blaming it on the developers, but it seems more like an issue with the publisher (WBI) and store operator (Sony).

The easy fix could just add the working season pass as part of the Ultimate Edition bundle, but that would probably take months to correct assuming they have to go through all the proper channels and submitting trouble tickets to various departments.

The fact that it's actually easier and less of a hassle to buy these things separately meant it's just easier to get a refund and buy the bundled items separately instead of buying the bundle.

Well, lesson learned. There are some serious issues with how games are pre-bundled with season passes.

My biggest issue is there's no discount when committing to the game and the season pass in a bundle. At least in Canada it's the exact same price. You would think that they would give it $5 or $10 off when buying both together.

Wasn't this a quest posted on the board though?

Those quests are intentionally like that, because they are posted there for any runner who happens to be passing by and has the time to go out and do it. Plus, as another poster pointed out, it runs directly parallel to Errol's stuff to the point you actually have to go out of your way not to do it, so it's basically world building exposition disguised as a quest. It's essential to the game because it gives the world depth at the cost of nothing to the player other than hitting the F key on a bunch of objects laying directly in your path anyway. Once you bring them back you also get some flavor art in your room emphasizing that the building is a living, thriving place that you are simply more of a moving part of rather than a single entity in.

It's one of the cooler parts of the quest design in the game, actually, because there are numerous "one off" quests like this that overlap on other stuff that you can do inbetween other quests that add a layer of depth on top of the world that helps breath life into it and makes it feel more like a real place in the world vs. just some random tropical level you do quests in.

Sounds fun.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
People are reporting much better performance using the beta patch 1.4, around 10 - 15fps, hopefully this will be live soon.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hope Yager Development borrows and perfects the parkour system from this game for Dead Island 2. Dying Light + bright, colorful palette = fun.

edit: from the preview vids it doesn't look like they're really focusing on vertical movement. :(
I don't think there's parkour at all, is there?

The last boss in this game fucking suuuuuuuucks.

A quicktime event? With tiny button prompts? The buttons don't even change if you die! Talk about unfulfilling. I wanted to slice Rais' head off with my Katana or blow it off with my shotgun. I'd also like to state all the main boss fights suck balls. All really poorly designed. Many of the escape sequences are just a mishmash of shit too and its hard to tell where you have to go. Thank god most of the checkpoints aren't bad and save fight progress. The game is filled with too many moments where you have to just brute force your way through bad game design. Oh, and the game ends on a fucking cliffhanger... Sigh.

KingKong

Oh man, the school mission was fantastic. It reminded me of the STALKER labs, except way more brutal. The combat in the game is just so visceral, and the tight spaces make it even better. They definitely have some kind of AI code where only one or two humans attack you at a time though

Pretty much every safe area has a 'buffer zone' where you're still protected from the volatiles but are able to use your weapons. Once you find a place like that, you can poke and prod at the night-zombie AI to see what works well and what doesn't.

And once you get the grappling hook, night-time is super easy.

no fast travel is ruining this game for me. I have played for like 20 hours and am apparently only 14% in. I've been doing all side quests I come across, but man I just feel like most of that time has been running back and forth across the map.

Are side quests missable if I continue the story?

I'm about 50-60% done with this game, and I think I may be done. Maybe I'll just power through the main storyline and ignore side quests or something. All of the quests are like multi-part "your princess is in another castle" type and I think I'm getting bored. I'm also disappointed by most of the skills because most feel worthless minus the grappling hook.

BAYXvbr.png

antitrop

no fast travel is ruining this game for me. I have played for like 20 hours and am apparently only 14% in. I've been doing all side quests I come across, but man I just feel like most of that time has been running back and forth across the map.

Side quests don't count towards Story Completion %. Side quests have their own completion stat that you can see on the Load Game screen, and none of them are missable. The tracker is glitched, though, you can only complete 98% of the side quests. Which also means you can't get the Achievement/Trophy for them.

Varth

So, did the supposed difference between the USA version and the digital Euro one ever come out? Is the "muslim women zombie killing" mission some sites reported in the patch-less USA version?

pa22word

Thank fuck for hard mode. The game as is becomes completely broken about 7-8 hours into it, so hopefully so rebalancing can breath some life into an otherwise snoozeworthy mid-end game.

AEREC

For a game that's main mechanic is how you move around the world, fast travel seems like a stupid thing to have.

I'm glad it's not in (unless it shows up somehow later in the game).

Denton

For a game that's main mechanic is how you move around the world, fast travel seems like a stupid thing to have.

I'm glad it's not in (unless it shows up somehow later in the game).
Fast travel is not in and yes the game is much better for it.

Top Bottom