• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh man, the school mission was fantastic. It reminded me of the STALKER labs, except way more brutal. The combat in the game is just so visceral, and the tight spaces make it even better. They definitely have some kind of AI code where only one or two humans attack you at a time though
It was a pretty difficult one for my playstyle, did a lot of barreling through guys and jumping over them with a flammable liquid + burning throwing star to clear a few soldiers when needed. occasionally throw an axe at a skull or so. Getting into melee combat with more than one of them at a time was trouble. Very fun to beat though.

Artex

Banned
I think I'm almost done with the gaming, and I have to say I've really enjoyed it. I had no idea this game was Mirror's Edge with zombies until I bought it, and ME is one of my favorite games of all time.

Things I'm not liking is the combat with humans, and if there is a sequel I'd like to see some of the gaminess go away. They brilliantly created that vulnerability feeling of being outside and just the wind and the atmosphere and everything feels so natural and realistic. What kills that for me is the absolutely retarded enemy AI. I get that they are zombies and they can be really basic but the way they bump into each other and fall onto traps is just so unnatural and awkward that it takes me out from time to time. That and some of the enemy design like the giant firefighter dudes and so forth...why are their clothes and equipment enlarged too? It feels sometimes like a cross between something that was intended to be realistic and the gaminess of a 90's PC game. I'm hoping if there is a sequel it builds on the realism and beliveability and completely drops the minor trace of silliness that trys to pop it's head out occasionally.

All in all a great game that I would highly recommend.

i´ve put nearly 20 hours on the game and i´m like 15% in the story, game is really what i was expecting, the parkour is really good and i love games that let you bash people´s heads, the combat is fine but i lacks a little weight for my taste to be really great, but i´m really having fun with this one, ID in steam is the fourthman and i live in Spain if there´s someone interested in some co-op, my schedule is a little over the place so it will be mostly to play a couple or hours here and there if there´s someone interested

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having an issue with Dying Light Manger, some (maybe all?) of the features aren't working. I've enabled mods and tried launching the game via the manager but I notice it's not working. I disabled penguins but they're still there, same with water on the screen and my watch key doesn't work. Is there something else I need to do?

The last boss in this game fucking suuuuuuuucks.

A quicktime event? With tiny button prompts? The buttons don't even change if you die! Talk about unfulfilling. I wanted to slice Rais' head off with my Katana or blow it off with my shotgun.

Yeah the execution of that last boss fight is a bit mind boggling.

How can a developer not know that QTEs are generally frowned upon? Let alone not expect the disappointment of making the FINAL boss fight entirely QTE?

Just slap the preexisting human combat AI into him, increase his health and aggression, and let us fight the bastard on a high rooftop. Hell, reveal that he is in fact infected himself and have him turn into an uber viral for the last portion of the battle, if they want to spice it up.

Or am I just that out of tune with what gamers want? Is there in actuality a significant fan base for QTE's and I'm just not aware? I swear every time QTEs show up in modern games, they are either hated or at best, solemnly accepted. I don't think I've ever heard of someone LOVING them.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
One thing bugged me through the campaign (major, MAJOR SPOILERS!):
Early in the game you go to recover the first drop of antizin, then GRE tells you to destroy everything, but before doing it Crane takes one doze of antizin and puts it in his pocket. What happened to that antizin? Why didn't he used it on himself, or more importantly, why didn't he save Jade? Through the whole game and especially the part where Jade dies I was expecting him to use it, but I ended up screaming at the screen when he didn't.
Did I miss some cutscene where that capsule is used/lost/whatever?

I'm pretty sure he didnt keep it. He took it out then put it back in.

antitrop

These god damn glitched trophies :/ I got screwed out of the quarantine and safehouse unlocks + finish all sidequests
Same, I'm missing the Safe House Trophy as well (even though I obviously got them all long before finishing the game).

The Q-Zone Trophy was also glitched for me, but in that I got it to pop before I actually finished all the zones.

Exploding zombies in the weapon challenges

Whose fucking idea was that?

For the coop trophy, do you need to cash in the quests in a group, or can you go off and do it on your own as long as the other 3 players are connected?

Ledhead

Same, I'm missing the Safe House Trophy as well (even though I obviously got them all long before finishing the game).

The Q-Zone Trophy was also glitched for me, but in that I got it to pop before I actually finished all the zones.

Weird. Any talk of a possible patch to fix these issues?

There was a large patch today on XB1 that fixed the glitched sidequest achievement, at least for some people. I'm not sure about other platforms or other achievements/trophies that were previously broken, but it's worth booting up the game if you're affected.

The NPC who needs to give me my final sidequest is still glitched for me, so no achievement for me unless I replay the entire game or cross my fingers and hope they fix that eventually.

Ledhead

Finished the game. Overall really enjoyed it, a huge step up from Dead Island on all fronts. I will probably try to grab a few more trophies and replay the game at some point

antitrop

There was a large patch today on XB1 that fixed the glitched sidequest achievement, at least for some people. I'm not sure about other platforms or other achievements/trophies that were previously broken, but it's worth booting up the game if you're affected.

The NPC who needs to give me my final sidequest is still glitched for me, so no achievement for me unless I replay the entire game or cross my fingers and hope they fix that eventually.

Yeah, there's a 1.75GB patch on PS4, as well.

Will report back if it fixes the Trophies, fingers crossed I don't have to play the entire game over again.

Here are the Patch Notes (1.04):

- Fixed various crash issues
- Hunter invasion during a GRE transmission sequence no longer possible
- Fixed the unlocking "The Whole Story" Trophy

-----------------

Update EDIT: Good news! Even if you finished every quest before the patch, you don't have to start over again! Just start a New Game in a new slot starting at some random mission, and it should pop as soon as it's done loading. Did for me.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm nearing the end but want more zombies so I'm going to buy Dead Island complete, it's only £6 on key sites compared to £25 on Steam. I'm just wondering if it's "allowed" to buy Steam gifts? I guess it's OK. You get DI and DI Riptide which will keep me busy for awhile.

NIN90

Yeah the execution of that last boss fight is a bit mind boggling.

How can a developer not know that QTEs are generally frowned upon? Let alone not expect the disappointment of making the FINAL boss fight entirely QTE?

Just slap the preexisting human combat AI into him, increase his health and aggression, and let us fight the bastard on a high rooftop. Hell, reveal that he is in fact infected himself and have him turn into an uber viral for the last portion of the battle, if they want to spice it up.

Or am I just that out of tune with what gamers want? Is there in actuality a significant fan base for QTE's and I'm just not aware? I swear every time QTEs show up in modern games, they are either hated or at best, solemnly accepted. I don't think I've ever heard of someone LOVING them.
It's simply called 'running out of development time'. I doubt the devs were satisfied with the final boss themselves.

Jrs3000

BAYXvbr.png

I'm level 13 and about 30% complete, think it's worth restarting on hard and redoing?

Repeating stuff but the last boss battle sucked. I really wanted to shoot Rais with, side mission related,
his own gun
. I understand they probably couldn't figure how to make Rais a tough boss considering Crane
cut one of his arms off
but hell, I expected at least Rais doing something like
Evil Dead series where he would place a weapon or something on top of his stump.
I mean, as stupid as my idea is, that would've been a hell lot funner than the final battle being
a bunch of QTEs.
Although, I did enjoy Crane's annoyance at Rais throughout the final mission.

Overall, fantastic game, in ratings, I'd give a solid 8/10. Techland just needs to write a better story and villain, keep the composer and improve the survival aspects next game.

One final thought, Crane
never used antizin once in the game.

Beat it like a week ago. The final third of this game feels pretty poorly done.

Jade:
Your actions lead to the deaths of her boyfriend and brother, and she spends the middle portion of the game hating you. That's basically the only interaction Crane ever has with her, inadvertently killing the only two people left in the world that she loves. But then suddenly we're like secret BFFs, Crane is super invested in saving her, romance-interest style dialogue is thrown around, and one overly-dramatic Far Cry 3 hallucination later she's dead. What?

She should've just been the MC. Crane is okay, but Jade is like... the one unique character amongst a pretty trope-y cast.

Rais:
QTE final boss. No reason why he couldn't have been a standard melee fight while, say, Crane is tripping out from lack of Antizin or something.

The coolest moment is by far the first
Screamer.
The game could've used way more creative special infected, especially since running from OHKO exploding guys and getting knocked around by shockwave guys is really lame.

Glad it's selling like hotcakes though. Techland deserves another go after how much better this is than DI.

the wrench is pretty much non existent after leveling up.. the zombie statues and notes aren't on the map and the stats aren't detailed (how many zombies kicked off the roof, how many notes, statues obtained, etc) Techland made some rookie mistakes.

Jade:
Your actions lead to the deaths of her boyfriend and brother, and she spends the middle portion of the game hating you. That's basically the only interaction Crane ever has with her, inadvertently killing the only two people left in the world that she loves. But then suddenly we're like secret BFFs, Crane is super invested in saving her, romance-interest style dialogue is thrown around, and one overly-dramatic Far Cry 3 hallucination later she's dead. What?

She should've just been the MC. Crane is okay, but Jade is like... the one unique character amongst a pretty trope-y cast.
i don't see how Jade isn't cliched either, she's the typical stubborn, combat-capable girl.
also,
Crane's actions didn't lead to either Amir or Rahim's deaths. Amir chose to help save Crane and Rahim chose to go demolish the nest.

The coolest moment is by far the first
Screamer.
The game could've used way more creative special infected
yeah, it reminded me of Dead Space. unique passive zombies like that were underutilized.

i don't see how Jade isn't cliched either, she's the typical stubborn, combat-capable girl.
also,
Crane's actions didn't lead to either Amir or Rahim's deaths. Amir chose to help save Crane and Rahim chose to go demolish the nest.

Maybe, I feel like that's less prevalent than the other tropes the characters exhibit. I might just be pissed that the game had a decent blueprint for a good female character and did basically nothing with her. She also didn't really have any flaws, which made her seem a bit pandering.

I was rolling my eyes through her whole death scene, Rahim's too.

I feel like the main character switch from Brecken to Crane left the writer scrambling to make sense of the plot and the other characters in this new context.

Anung

Un Rama
Finished it tonight. The ending level itself was rough but overall it didn't ruin the game or anything. I've been enjoying just focusing on side quests. I'm even tempted to grab the season pass.

to me it seemed like the beginning of the game in the slums was packed with content but as soon as i got to old town the content dwindled till the game just sort of ended. i was hoping for more locations like in Dead Island.

antitrop

the wrench is pretty much non existent after leveling up.. the zombie statues and notes aren't on the map and the stats aren't detailed (how many zombies kicked off the roof, how many notes, statues obtained, etc) Techland made some rookie mistakes.

Some of this is wrong. Zombie Statues, Flags, Notes, Battle Journals, and Voice Mails can all be checked by pressing Square/X on the Inventory menu screen.

The Zombie Statues and Flags aren't shown on the map, because they're just "bonus" collectables. They don't count towards the Achievement/Trophy or Completion %, so who cares? They are there only for the most diehard of obsessive compulsive types.

Finding all of the Notes, Battle Journals, and Voice Mails is REALLY easy with a guide. If you find a guide that does them in a nice order, they're actually really close to each other and it doesn't take long at all.

You can get a Wrench necessary for the Trophy just by joining a low-level multiplayer room from the matchmaking browser. Or New Game+, of course.

The best way to get the Trophy for kicking zombies off cliffs (even if the stat isn't tracked), is to go to the Infamy Bridge when you are very high leveled and just kick them off the edge, where there isn't any water.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think there are an admirable number of infected types for the first entry in an IP

Biters
Virals
Goons
Volalites
Toads
Bombers
Demolishers
Bolters
Screamers

That really ain't half bad

I think there are an admirable number of infected types for the first entry in an IP

Biters
Virals
Goons
Volalites
Toads
Bombers
Demolishers
Bolters
Screamers

That really ain't half bad
don't forget the Night Hunter or whatever it's called. basically Venom.

UOTr0Hg.jpg

Finally! Easy Platinum, overall, aside from the obvious glitches.

I'm having problems with trophies This is Harraaan! (Kill 100 enemies by kicking them off the rooftops/cliffs) and Homo Homini Lupus Est (Save 15 survivors from Rais's men ).

Is there a way to check progress for This is Harraaan! trophy ? Im kicking zombies from rooftops in Old Town and it feels like it's taking forever. Also I'm mostly using drop kick is this ok ?

And for Homo Homini Lupus Est trophy.... I got 50 hours of gameplay and in this time I only saved 10 survivors from Rais soldiers. Why are these random events so rare ? It's almost always events like save surviors from zombies or kill Rais patrol. Is there a specific place on the map where they appear ?

TheNAC

Banned
I'm having problems with trophies This is Harraaan! (Kill 100 enemies by kicking them off the rooftops/cliffs) and Homo Homini Lupus Est (Save 15 survivors from Rais's men ).

Is there a way to check progress for This is Harraaan! trophy ? Im kicking zombies from rooftops in Old Town and it feels like it's taking forever. Also I'm mostly using drop kick is this ok ?

And for Homo Homini Lupus Est trophy.... I got 50 hours of gameplay and in this time I only saved 10 survivors from Rais soldiers. Why are these random events so rare ? It's almost always events like save surviors from zombies or kill Rais patrol. Is there a specific place on the map where they appear ?

You have to use the regular kick. Go to infamy bridge.

Climbing the bridge to get those lightbulbs
was terrifying. I just finished that quest last night and was getting real uncomfortable up at the top, rarely does my fear of heights translate to games but it definitely does with Dying Light, I think it's the way the character sways around in the wind when he's that high in the air.

You can get a Wrench necessary for the Trophy just by joining a low-level multiplayer room from the matchmaking browser. Or New Game+, of course.

The best way to get the Trophy for kicking zombies off cliffs (even if the stat isn't tracked), is to go to the Infamy Bridge when you are very high leveled and just kick them off the edge, where there isn't any water.

ill give this a try, thanks.

Climbing the bridge to get those lightbulbs
was terrifying. I just finished that quest last night and was getting real uncomfortable up at the top, rarely does my fear of heights translate to games but it definitely does with Dying Light, I think it's the way the character sways around in the wind when he's that high in the air.
I'm saving that mission for last in the Slums. It is a great place to farm Power at night.

This arena boss fight against the
demolisher... How do I do it? No weapons... Can't believe they made a boss fight like that. I hated it in dark forces and I hate it now.

Iorv3th

I'm having some trouble dealing with the huge zombies. On the mission where you have to turn on 3 gas valves. One area has a huge zombie in a fence and I can't seem to kill him. Heard people just killing them with molotovs etc. However I have hit him with molotovs, explosive tanks and molotovs, then went in with melee, couldn't bring him down.

This arena boss fight against the
demolisher... How do I do it? No weapons... Can't believe they made a boss fight like that. I hated it in dark forces and I hate it now.

He drops you a machete. Should be right below where he is on the platform. Don't forget to dodge him when he charges.

Also, I have over 29 hours in the game, 2 side missions left to do (not sure which ones) and I only just got to
where Jade gets kidnapped by Rais in the Museum.

Honestly, I'm having way more fun with this game than FC4. Also, does anyone else forget to use the grapple gun a lot of the time and just parkour everywhere instead?

hunchback

At what point do the side missions on the board appear? The guy keeps reminding me to check the board but when I approach it there is nothing. You have the board that is on a wall by the elevator and then there is on in your apartment as you walk in. I'm playing on XB1.

I've got this marker for a mission board on the map behind the Tower and I can't find and way inside of the building, but I can see there is and inside through the window bars.

Is this a glitch abd the building will unlock later in the story? I just finished the School.

KingKong

I think the weapon damage increase every survivor level was a mistake. Maybe it should have been every 5 levels or so. I'm finding myself just dropping pretty much all my weapons and picking up new ones since they now do 90 damage instead of 70 or whatever.

I do like that my machete can do about 1300+ damage with a handling of over 100 and have over 100 durability with all 5 repairs left. Love it :).

antitrop

Wait, did they finally fix the glitched trophies?

Oh, and congratulations.

They only fixed "The Whole Story" Trophy, as it was the only one that was completely glitched to the point where it could not be obtained at all (other than obviously the Platinum).

Some other glitched achievements that in all likelihood will not be patched are as follows:

Capture All Safehouses - This glitched Trophy can be gotten by starting a New Game at the "Extraction" checkpoint, and then unlocking a few safehouses. Trophy popped for me after about 4 in a new game.

Collect all Text Collectables - If this one doesn't pop for you even after collecting everything, you can start a New Game in a different slot at the "Extraction" checkpoint, and collecting the 3 Notes near the spawn point.

pa22word

Anyone else notice the
Master Sword
during the Rupert (Gunsmith) side quest in oldtown?

These guys sure are big
Nintendo
fans, lol ;)

They only fixed "The Whole Story" Trophy, as it was the only one that was completely glitched to the point where it could not be obtained at all (other than obviously the Platinum).

I wonder if this has anything to do with the rumors that they cut a sidequest due to the situation in France, and as a result had to repress the discs without said quest for PAL regions? If that's true it might have been a simple matter of forgetting to remove the flag for the quest in the trophy code.

Top Bottom