• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

1.4.0 Patch Notes
posted by Modlin_Techland @ 01:29PM on February 14, 2015
List of fixes in version 1.4.0:

• Significantly reduced RAM memory usage
They weren't lying. I just tested this and now I can happily alt-tab between the game and youtube walkthroughs without having the computer freezing.
Good stuff

Wish they added an option to disable Chromatic aberration but oh well

eshwaaz

30 hours in, story 55% complete, still loving it. My only real complaints so far are:
-Ridiculous accuracy and range for Toads
-Splash damage radius for Demolisher sledgehammer attack is huge
-Bombers are instakill at close range, even when you're at maxed out health, and they're placed in very unfair ways that give you no time to react
-LOD on PS4 for buildings and shadows is really poor. It can be extremely jarring; some of the worst I've seen

The poor LOD is perhaps the most disappointing to me, as the sense of place is just outstanding otherwise.

-Bombers are instakill at close range, even when you're at maxed out health, and they're

The Bombers were easily my least favourite part of the game. They're just walking loading screens, really. Techland loves putting them right behind doors, or in a crowd so you can't really make them out. Maybe I'm just terrible, but they were the only thing in the game that could reliably kill me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Gameplay issues
• Added option to disable film grain video effect.
Yes yes yes yes!

edit: Find the bomber complaints funny after all this time. They're one of the least threatening to me :X R1 + Back people! Honestly Toads give me the most trouble which probably sounds ridiculous, but I try to avoid combat a lot and they have like homing spit XD

Ruff

Yes yes yes yes!

edit: Find the bomber complaints funny after all this time. They're one of the least threatening to me :X R1 + Back people! Honestly Toads give me the most trouble which probably sounds ridiculous, but I try to avoid combat a lot and they have like homing spit XD

there's a certain safe house in the slums where a bomber is programmed to burst through a door 5 feet from you after turning on the power, you have no where to go. It's just insta death for 99% of players there and very unfair gameplay. That was the only time i felt REALLY cheated in this game

jond76

Banned
there's a certain safe house in the slums where a bomber is programmed to burst through a door 5 feet from you after turning on the power, you have no where to go. It's just insta death for 99% of players there and very unfair gameplay. That was the only time i felt REALLY cheated in this game

There's a bunch like that they had hiding indoors. Turn a corner into a right hallway and that asshole comes traipsing out. It's good for a scream. I find it funny.

Ruff

True but in every other instance of seeing a bomber i always had time to to either move back out of range, or be stupid and panic whack it in the head lol. My above example was the only time where I literally had no option but to stand there and accept my fate by design.

Bombers are terrible because they're antithetical to everything the game teaches you about dealing with zombies.

They're the only zombie that you're punished for hitting or kicking, and the only one that requires you to slow down instead of speed up. If they did less damage, or could be kicked away before they detonate, they'd be a better addition.

Suiciders in Dead Island were way better. Not only did they look very distinct, which Bombers don't, they also made a very loud, recognizable wheezing noise. Even if they were hidden, you could still easily hear when one was nearby. Bombers just yell, like most other zombies in the game.

Yeah, that was kind of surprising.
I had already seen non-infected kids in the game but I figured the devs would shy away from the idea of infected kids, since that would also mean we'd be able kill them.

They put thought into it, too. Instead of just making them normal (but smaller) shambling zombies, they had their own characteristic that fit a small child, like staying put and simply crying for help. They even have an exclusive way of "silencing" them, although you can also stay out of range of their scream and kill them with ranged weapons.

I thought the same, I think including them took a lot of heart. Especially in our overly sensitive society. I haven't got close to them yet, but every time I see them they send a chill down my spine.

Medicated

Neo Member
Hey anyone need the 5 missions trophy on PS4? I have 5 ready to turn in but can't seem to find anyone to help me out. Be willing to help people complete a few if need be.

PSN: MedicatedSloth

Honestly, I was so skeptical about this company and the series, because of well, Dead Island, but I am so fucking glad I got this game. They made up for Dead Island and then some. They release good patches, they give free things away and they created a damn good game.

KingKong

Wow my loading times really really improved and I noticed the ram decrease too. Good stuff, now I can turn a few more graphics settings up

antitrop

Can you do quarantine zones again?

Also is there a better way to get agility than running around at night getting chased?

I maxed out my Agility very quickly by jumping on zombie heads from one end of the Infamy Bridge to the other, during nighttime. Points rack up insanely quickly.

You can go the whole length of the Bridge and back without even touching the ground. Just mash R1 like a madman, while tilting the right analog stick slightly downwards.

It's my last trophy to get.. it feels super impossible to grab it with random folk.

I did it with a pre-arranged group from GAF and we still had trouble. One player D/C'd (or rather crashed to PS4 OS) as we were going on to turn in the 5th quest.

When the guy reconnected, we just did 5 quick Quarantine Zones to get it. That's got to be the easiest way.

antitrop

The Bombers were easily my least favourite part of the game. They're just walking loading screens, really. Techland loves putting them right behind doors, or in a crowd so you can't really make them out. Maybe I'm just terrible, but they were the only thing in the game that could reliably kill me.

No, it's not just you. Bombers are nearly impossible to react to in time, unless you're being overly cautious to the point of playing the game differently because of them. But that's no fun.

Another thing that got me a lot, was that the Firemen zombies will just run into you and suicide with their oxygen tank, but only at the highest Wanted level during the night. They never do that normally, so I always tried to just jump on their heads and they explode as soon as they get near me.

Dr.Acula

Banned
No, it's not just you. Bombers are nearly impossible to react to in time, unless you're being overly cautious to the point of playing the game differently because of them. But that's no fun.

Another thing that got me a lot, was that the Firemen zombies will just run into you and suicide with their oxygen tank, but only at the highest Wanted level during the night. They never do that normally, so I always tried to just jump on their heads and they explode as soon as they get near me.

My prob with bombers is that there are almost no tells in terms of sound or environment that gives their location away. In L4D at least boomers make a lot of noise. Also boomers are very distinctive visually, while bombers just blend in. I've played MP and have seen bombers pretty much sneak up on people because they look too much like regular zombies.

Denton

I'm only 25% (or around there), and I'm already feeling fatigued of this game.....I just don't want to play it anymore.

This is funny to me, I finished the game yesterday and already started new game+, can't get enough, 50 hours in.

I really hope Techland is hard at work on Riptidesque expansion with new area and content.

pa22word

Holy crap, Dying Light is still smashing it up on Steam multiple weeks after launch still at the number 1 spot, even over big games on sale atm and Evolve, GTA V, and Attila TW:

cbf6a232e8461382106f8f62012e8d23.png

That modding kit announcement really gave it some legs, as just last week GTA V and Evolve was trading spots with each other. Great on for Techland!

Night is still very dangerous even when you're at max level with a weapon that kills Volatiles in 1 or 2 hits. If you try to stand and fight at night, they still pile up on you faster than you can swing your sword.

Even when I was at the max level and just running around cleaning up Trophies, I still had to rest in a bed to skip past nighttime.

I have the grapple hook which makes it a bit easier but my fast machete blade with over 700 damage still can't get them off of me. I actually like that because I want some challenge now that I am quite powerful with my skills and weapons.

My agility is still rather low (12?) and can anyone tell me where you can get the orange weapon upgrade that adds extra damage and I think durability? I had one and forgot how I got it. I have a few blue Knights I think they are called. Not sure what the best one is.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
whats best way to downsample this game certain app before. through nvidia control pane;/super res thingy or ini ?

TheFatMan

This is funny to me, I finished the game yesterday and already started new game+, can't get enough, 50 hours in.

I really hope Techland is hard at work on Riptidesque expansion with new area and content.

Yeah I can see how that would be. It's just, I feel a lot of the game is tedious.

Picking locks is horrible and boring, after opening my 30th one I just don't want to do the stupid mini game anymore. Running back and forth across the map is getting old. The combat is fun, but you can get overwhelmed so easily that I feel punished for trying most the time.

And the worst part is I feel the parkour system is janky as all hell. Always latching on the ledge in weird ways, or teleporting a short distance so my character can grab on to shit.

Also, why isn't this game just called Dead Island 2? I mean, come on.

Anung

Un Rama
The Quarantine Zone missions are awesome. I hope they release more at some point. I joined a random game and someone was cloning survivor drop boxes so I managed level up nicely.

Absolutely adore this game. I hope it does well for Techland as it is incredibly polished and fun.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Does this game make DI irrelevant? Meaning if you were going to play DI, should you skip that and just play DL?

For me it doesn't but the big reason for me is the analog melee combat which I love in Dead Island which isn't in Dying Light, it wouldn't really be suited to DL's fast pace though.

Dying Light is a better game in most other ways and it's traversal is amazing but I still love that combat system in DI.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Does this game make DI irrelevant? Meaning if you were going to play DI, should you skip that and just play DL?

I bought DI yesterday, it feels like Dying Light Lite, but I got the collection for £6 and at that price it's totally worth it. I want to finish it before DI2 which looks fantastic.

Ok, finished it. End game thoughts:

98% of the game is excellent. 2% is terrible. Unfortunately, that 2% is the last mission you're forced to play. Which is terrible, because a day after completing the game I'm left feeling sour at how stupidly bad the ending is.

Sequel thoughts:

Allow for gun mods. Make certain items less scare (ie, bomb crafting stuff). Try to avoid the zombie genre's standard plot points. Have an end game skill where Crane can kick open easy to hard locks.

I maxed out my Agility very quickly by jumping on zombie heads from one end of the Infamy Bridge to the other, during nighttime. Points rack up insanely quickly.

You can go the whole length of the Bridge and back without even touching the ground. Just mash R1 like a madman, while tilting the right analog stick slightly downwards.
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

GeoramA

These timed challenges are getting annoying. Medium difficulty my ass. Some I tried over 10 times and haven't even come close.

jond76

Banned
Out of the two new dlc quarantine zones, only the restaurant one is good. The one in the slums is a single open area train spot, kinda like the train track with the chemical spill.

The restaurant is like a fun haunted house. I really hope they add some more.

And the worst part is I feel the parkour system is janky as all hell. Always latching on the ledge in weird ways, or teleporting a short distance so my character can grab on to shit.

Also, why isn't this game just called Dead Island 2? I mean, come on.
:O The parkour system is absolutely great, there are a few small annoyances here and there but its by no means janky as hell. 95% of the time I can do exactly what I want to do with no issues.

And its not called Dead Island 2 because...it's not Dead Island 2? Dead Island 2 is being made by someone else.

Midn1ght

I love the small details in this game. The Tower keep changing and is a great place to chill at night after some times doing quests. I specially like how your bedroom there is changing over time.

d00d3n

How soon can I start acquiring safehouses freely? I just completed the tutorial part, so I am right at the point when coop starts to be allowed.

I love the small details in this game. The Tower keep changing and is a great place to chill at night after some times doing quests. I specially like how your bedroom there is changing over time.

This game is really at it's best, like Skyrim, when you forget about the quests and just explore for a bit.

Somebody really needs to mod in a quick-toggle keybinding script for the hud. Keeping track of health is important, but so is taking pretty screenshots.

the arena is kicking my ass

how far am I?

About 50%

Beat the game this morning. May or may not go back and pick up more trophies. I was pretty tired of it around 60% and then stopped doing so many side quests and just went with the main quest line. The story
is pretty lame and unsatisfying and the ending just as much so.

Top Bottom