• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Pimpbaa

Looks and runs great on PS4. The ONLY issue I've seen is that some interior areas stutter. They're separate buildings that load when you enter them. The main tower doesn't have this issue curiously.

A game that doesn't have anisotropic filtering or even trilinear filtering I wouldn't considering looking great. Image quality is terrible in this game because of it.

antitrop

Also, why isn't this game just called Dead Island 2? I mean, come on.

Because Deep Silver owns the Dead Island IP, not Techland. I don't think Techland owns any of the games they make. I believe even the Call of Juarez IP is owned by Ubisoft.

Techland was originally in talks to make Dead Island 2, but couldn't lock down a deal. So Deep Silver accepted Yager's pitch for Dead Island 2, shortly after they shipped Spec Ops: The Line back in 2012.

And Techland signed on with Warner Bros to do Dying Light, a spiritual sequel of sorts. Simple story, really.

Beat it in about 32 hour, but doing every side mission possible, basically. Also got 70% of the achievements in doing so. Loved the game, even with the end.

TheFatMan

:O The parkour system is absolutely great, there are a few small annoyances here and there but its by no means janky as hell. 95% of the time I can do exactly what I want to do with no issues.

And its not called Dead Island 2 because...it's not Dead Island 2? Dead Island 2 is being made by someone else.

Oh the parkour system works.....it just looks terrible doing it almost all of the time. I will admit that higher levels of the Freerunning skill has made it much smoother (mostly because I can climb up ledges so much faster now).

And the "why isn't it called DI2" thing was kind of me being sarcastic ;)

RedAssedApe

Banned
i guess i'm still early in the game but it feels like its so hard to kill stuff. burning another human with a molotov and he stands there screaming for 10 secs and doesn't die.

violaties and humans seem to have super human dodging and blocking abilities and seem to hit much harder than me and/or sometimes have no reaction to me smacking them. guess i need better weapons. losing survival xp is frustrating too. guess i should just run from stuff right now?

guess it could be worse...it could be like Final Fantasy XI where if you died you could actually level down lol

I cleared out a safe zone before bed last night. Wake up, load up, safe zone is red again, but all the inventory I used is gone. Fun.

Other than that, I'm really enjoying it. However, I wish I didn't see that PS4 AF thread with the Dying Light screenshots.

bryanee

19 hours in and I've just got to the second map. Doing every side quest on he first map took longer than expected lol.

Also, why isn't this game just called Dead Island 2? I mean, come on.

I was about to say that it's because this game doesn't take place on an island, but then I realized the ACTUAL Dead Island 2 coming out later this year doesn't take place on an island, either (it's based in Los Angeles/Hollywood).

Ruff

It's a bit strange how the game allows you back into the final area only for it to be blocked off with no way back out.

One thing bugged me through the campaign (major, MAJOR SPOILERS!):
Early in the game you go to recover the first drop of antizin, then GRE tells you to destroy everything, but before doing it Crane takes one doze of antizin and puts it in his pocket. What happened to that antizin? Why didn't he used it on himself, or more importantly, why didn't he save Jade? Through the whole game and especially the part where Jade dies I was expecting him to use it, but I ended up screaming at the screen when he didn't.
Did I miss some cutscene where that capsule is used/lost/whatever?

I think it's used when Brecken finds you and you're brought to the pier.

Beat it like a week ago. The final third of this game feels pretty poorly done.

Jade:
Your actions lead to the deaths of her boyfriend and brother, and she spends the middle portion of the game hating you. That's basically the only interaction Crane ever has with her, inadvertently killing the only two people left in the world that she loves. But then suddenly we're like secret BFFs, Crane is super invested in saving her, romance-interest style dialogue is thrown around, and one overly-dramatic Far Cry 3 hallucination later she's dead. What?

She should've just been the MC. Crane is okay, but Jade is like... the one unique character amongst a pretty trope-y cast.

Rais:
QTE final boss. No reason why he couldn't have been a standard melee fight while, say, Crane is tripping out from lack of Antizin or something.

The coolest moment is by far the first
Screamer.
The game could've used way more creative special infected, especially since running from OHKO exploding guys and getting knocked around by shockwave guys is really lame.

Glad it's selling like hotcakes though. Techland deserves another go after how much better this is than DI.

You were BFFs earlier in the game when she starts saying how much she appreciates everything you're doing for
them and doesn't blame you for her partners death and that you don't need to make up for it. She also gets you to stop Brecken, you do missions with her etc, there was an connection established between them. She did save the MCs life also so he's determined to save hers. Hallucination mission was stupid though.

TheBear

I'm trying to unlock the safe house under the big electrical tower, but I can't seem to climb the tower high enough to switch it on. Do I need to complete the substation mission first?

I'm trying to unlock the safe house under the big electrical tower, but I can't seem to climb the tower high enough to switch it on. Do I need to complete the substation mission first?

You have to replace the bulbs In the building and than climb the tower to turn it on.

The power junction is up there just gotta keep climbing

Wow what a horrible final stage and that final boss battle who thought that was good.
I'm not gonna stab you and let u live cuz morals less than 5 mins stabs him. I loss of couple of brain cells

Dr.Acula

Banned
Wow what a horrible final stage and that final boss battle who thought that was good.
I'm not gonna stab you and let u live cuz morals less than 5 mins stabs him. I loss of couple of brain cells

Especially since earlier in the game
where Jade gives you the antizen and you have to kill her, but that big guy attacks you. As he's dying you hold the knife to his neck and say something like, "I should let you suffer... but you're a loose end I'm not gonna leave untied!" And you slash his throat. So why leave Rais "untied?"

Corpekata

Banned
The entire last act of the story just really shits the bed. Game is far better when Crane's just be a sarcastic asshole to everyone like he is in most of the sidequests.

pa22word

The entire last act of the story just really shits the bed. Game is far better when Crane's just be a sarcastic asshole to everyone like he is in most of the sidequests.

Yeah they need to ditch the entire AAA DUDEBRAH story schtick for the next game and just have the dude who wrote the sidequests write the main story.

I mean yeah, Dead Island was lolworthy with its story (and not in a good way), but at least it never took itself or its plot seriously as anything more than to give you context to run around with 4 friends and kill truckloads of zombies. It never got in the way of the fun, and I think I'd enjoy more of that with a potential Dying Light 2 rather than the overly pretentious shlock we got here. I mean shit, it's a coop Zombie game with ridiculous mechanics. Embrace it! Not every game has to be The Last of Us, and no one really expects that either. There's room in the market for just as much tickle as their is slap in the Zombie market, and trying to force your game otherwise is just silly. Just ask Dead Rising...

where Jade gives you the antizen and you have to kill her, but that big guy attacks you. As he's dying you hold the knife to his neck and say something like, "I should let you suffer... but you're a loose end I'm not gonna leave untied!" And you slash his throat. So why leave Rais "untied?"

...and you get to fight HIM

TheFatMan

Had to log off while I was traversing
the sewers between the first and second area

I must say the game has gotten much more enjoyable now that I feel I am capable of defending myself. Even night time got less scary.

GoaThief

Alright, I'm about 10% in and I'm getting absolutely slaughtered on my first mission for Rais.

Trying to flick switch at bottom of tower thing and died four times losing more and more XP. My weapons are doing fuck all damage (20 hits to down a regular zombie maybe and kick seems equally ineffective especially compared to Dead Island. Surely the game isn't supposed to be like this, what am I doing wrong? Have I overlooked something?

GoaThief

What's your gear like? Are you using blueprint weapons & weapon upgrades?
Shit gear as that's all I can find, pipes and planks mostly. Some shit machete thing that Rais left behind is my most damaging weapon so far - got some assassin thing in the slot that allegedly does 2x damage but weapon is close to breaking after 10 seconds.

Not used a blueprint yet...

Basketball

Just finished the game over 36+ hours played

and I still want to keep playing. Man the game is awesome. It really surprised me how good the game is ... combat is satisfying, the music is great, environments are beautiful.

The skill trees are well done and I really like the MC. You might think he just a boring dude but I don't know something about him is just really likable .... thank god hes not voiced by Troy Baker (tired of hearing him)

pa22word

Just finished the game over 36+ hours played

and I still want to keep playing. Man the game is awesome. It really surprised me how good the game is ... combat is satisfying, the music is great, environments are beautiful.

The skill trees are well done and I really like the MC. You might think he just a boring dude but I don't know something about him is just really likable .... thank god hes not voiced by Troy Baker (tired of hearing him)

Mmf, yes indeed...

FluxWaveZ

Wait, that's not what I got from that scene; am I missing something? What I understood was:
Crane was tired of Rais' taunting and his constant implications that Crane was a sheep who would always do what he was told without thinking for himself. So when Rais was like "kill me", Crane decided "fuck you" and that he would just let Rais die from his injuries on the top of that tower, instead of killing him outright like he had done to Tahir, because Rais was telling him to do it. I never really got the implication that Crane wanted to let Rais live.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Wait, that's not what I got from that scene; am I missing something? What I understood was:
Crane was tired of Rais' taunting and his constant implications that Crane was a sheep who would always do what he was told without thinking for himself. So when Rais was like "kill me", Crane decided "fuck you" and that he would just let Rais die from his injuries on the top of that tower, instead of killing him outright like he had done to Tahir, because Rais was telling him to do it. I never really got the implication that Crane wanted to let Rais live.

He didn't want either to live but he wanted to make sure Tahir was "finished" so he couldn't jump up and kill him like Rais seconds later. Shoulda just killed Rais. The "opposite" thing theory is funny though, I could buy that I guess.

pa22word

Are weapon upgrades one use only? Like if I put it on some shitty electric pipe or something is it gone forever?

Yep.

I wouldn't worry about it though, as the upgrades show up constantly. Just don't be putting an orange level upgrade on some toss away weapon and you'll be fine.

TheBear

Yep.

I wouldn't worry about it though, as the upgrades show up constantly. Just don't be putting an orange level upgrade on some toss away weapon and you'll be fine.

Thanks.

In the first part of the game, what should I be spending money on? And should I hang onto valuables or just sell them?

pa22word

Thanks.

In the first part of the game, what should I be spending money on? And should I hang onto valuables or just sell them?

Valuables are there to sell, there's no in game use for them so go ahead and sell them ASAP.

And just spend on whatever. Money is never a problem in the game. I have like 500k @ 70% game completion atm, and I just buy a new weapon when one of my old ones break.

Corpekata

Banned
There is SOME game use for some of the valuables. One of the poster board quests asks for Coffee IIRC so I'd save those until you finish it. Couple other material ones too but I think they were mostly crafting components.

There is SOME game use for some of the valuables. One of the poster board quests asks for Coffee IIRC so I'd save those until you finish it. Couple other material ones too but I think they were mostly crafting components.

I've found that if you make the quest active the item you're after shows up everywhere so I never keep coffee or cigarettes or anything like that, I always just sell them.

pa22word

I'm at 43/44 sidequests done and that's the only one in the game that was ever like that.

Just sell 'em.

BOOMERS are the worst! The last 5 times I died were because I found a room hidden away deep inside somewhere like the top of the bridge or a basement. I unlock a hard door and a Boomer explodes killing me instantly and making me run back.

Top Bottom