• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

bryanee

I finished it last night and I thought it was great and I hated Dead Island in single player but this was just so much more fun. Criminally under rated by the gaming press.

One problem though other than the jank. I thought old town was really underused especially compared to the slums. It was a fantastic place to free run but it took almost no time at all to mop up the side quests. I spent 19 hours in the slums before getting to old town and I was finished with all the side quests and main story at 26 hours.

Oh and the build up to the final confrontation was fantastic but the confrontation itself was terrible. Who thought that was a good idea?

I'd like some story DLC please focused on the old town.

Now for some new game plus and co-op.

w00zey

Started this a day or so ago and really enjoying it. Is there a certain way I should go upgrade wise? I always get so stressed out thinking i will miss a good perk.

Denton

Started this a day or so ago and really enjoying it. Is there a certain way I should go upgrade wise? I always get so stressed out thinking i will miss a good perk.

The way to go is to upgrade whatever sounds most interesting/appealing/useful to you.

Just make sure you get the second level of the climbing ability, not sure what it's called, in Agility as soon as it's available.

I'm about to start Higher Education and and I think I'm going to try and burn through the story. I don't know why, but Old Town really sucked the life out of this game for me.

I made the exact same post a couple weeks ago. There's a point at 50 to 60 percent that I just wanted to be done. Getting the grappling hook helped.

I made the exact same post a couple weeks ago. There's a point at 50 to 60 percent that I just wanted to be done. Getting the grappling hook helped.

I had the same experience. I ran through the last chapters of the game (which is harder than it sounds thanks to a few terrible design decisions).

But now, a week or so later, I'm ready to head back in.

Just wanted to say that I fucking love this game.

My only gripe, and I'm probably alone in this, is that I miss the manual mele from Dead Island. It made the combat difficult, but also more satisfying. The genius free running here makes up for it though. And I'm actually really loving the few shootout sections. The destructibility & gore make for some awesome firefights.

Here's a question: is there any difference between the color tiers of guns? Like, when a vendor sells a purple police rifle, is that in anyway better than my blue one? Stats seem the same...

Dr.Acula

Banned
So then there really is no bad way to go?

Yeah, the high unlocks are limited by level, and the level cap is equal to the total number of skills. So everyone unlocks everything by the end.

I just need one more level in Survivor and I'll be maxed out at 25/24/24 across the board.

Funny that Agility and Power only goes up to 24.

Been loving this game. I also got "The Whole Story" for completing all the side quests. Just need to do the challenges, and the quarantine zones and some other stuff to 100% this game. I might get the DLC too given how much fun I'm still having with this game.

Just need to keep an eye out for a wrench, sometimes low level baddies are holding one. I still need "Italian plumber" achievement.

oktarb

Oh and the build up to the final confrontation was fantastic but the confrontation itself was terrible. Who thought that was a good idea?

Couldn't agree more. What a cop out ending. Doesn't diminish my love for the game but wow what a terrible way to end it.

Picked this game up last night and played for a few hours. Why did this game get such middling reviews? I mean, Im not very far but it seems like a pretty well put together game to me. Im genuinely shocked at how well the parkour stuff works, especially for a first person game.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Picked this game up last night and played for a few hours. Why did this game get such middling reviews? I mean, Im not very far but it seems like a pretty well put together game to me. Im genuinely shocked at how well the parkour stuff works, especially for a first person game.

I think them not sending out review copies + some day-one bugginess came back and bit them hard. This game is a solid 8, and I'd personally rate it higher given how much fun I've had with it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Same here, at least an 8, 9 if they flesh out the DLC.

Anung

Un Rama

No idea. All I know is I really liked Far Cry 4 and think this is waaaaay better. It isn't the perfect game but Techland have outdid themselves in terms of polish and gameplay mechanics.

Polyarmory trophy drives me insane. It's simply impossible with randoms :(
Every fucking time there's that one player who quits or is just absent doing nothing....

This game is starting on a good note for me.

1024x576.resizedimage

I've always been bugged by characters lying on the beds with blankets but never use them. (even in cutscene)

So, yeah. This is already a win.

Bullitus

Just wanted to say that I fucking love this game.

My only gripe, and I'm probably alone in this, is that I miss the manual mele from Dead Island. It made the combat difficult, but also more satisfying. The genius free running here makes up for it though. And I'm actually really loving the few shootout sections. The destructibility & gore make for some awesome firefights.

Here's a question: is there any difference between the color tiers of guns? Like, when a vendor sells a purple police rifle, is that in anyway better than my blue one? Stats seem the same...

I miss that too. It was by far the best thing in Dead Island.

Weapons all seem to be the same. So no difference as far as I can tell. I actually tested this out quickly and the damage seemed to be the same (as it is in the stats). Maybe "better" weapons have a higher chance of crit hits?

Just finished up everything I want to do, 36 hours, did all the main quest, all side quests, got a bunch random achievements and what not. Really loved the game overall, I can see it being on my GOTY 2015 list for sure.

pa22word

Just finished it. I enjoyed it other than the "last boss". The final mission was really good I thought, and the last minute addition of the
running tank
enemies I thought was hilarious. I died laughing when one killed me for the first time.

Same here, at least an 8, 9 if they flesh out the DLC.

With the open modding on PC game is already infinitely better than it was at launch. The hardcore mode mods alone extend the life of the game by about a factor of 5.

I'm planning on starting a new run soon with one of the new hardcore mods installed, as I thought the game just pretty much fell off a cliff difficulty wise about 5-6 hours into the game. Considering it took me 50 hours to 100% the game...yeah, that's kind of a pretty big problem.

Can't wait to see how the official Hard Mode pans out, especially if they are looking at some of the really cool things the PC gaming community is doing with the game by taking it to its extreme.

Not to mention they're promising official modding tools sometime in the future, which should be really cool.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Friend and I need one person to join for the co-op trophy. We have the quests ready to turn in, just need a third body for a couple mins.

Nvm. Shit didn't even work. Glitch-ass game man.

DOWN

Banned
Ugh, I am only on mission 7 of 13. This is reminding me of Far Cry 3 in how it feels dragged out. After just playing the Order, which actually didn't feel short considering the pace and style, I'm having trouble continuing this less polished game. Still cool, but im sort of trudging.

Ugh, I am only on mission 7 of 13. This is reminding me of Far Cry 3 in how it feels dragged out. After just playing the Order, which actually didn't feel short considering the pace and style, I'm having trouble continuing this less polished game. Still cool, but im sort of trudging.
Less polished than the order.. No way.. This game has its problems but it's pretty polished.. Give it time, it's hard getting going but don't judge on the first hr or two

Finished the game! I had quite a bit of fun with it :) The gameplay makes it super super great.

With that being said, I was not impressed with the single player narrative. Crane is also an incredibly annoying character with godawful dialogue.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Finished it too. Really enjoyed the entire experience even if the last boss fight was annoying.

However, I've completed all the side quests and didn't unlock the side quest trophy. Any idea? I heard it's glitched...

I also haven't unlocked the one where you have to save 15 survivors from Rais'men even though I'm sure I saved more than 15.

:/

Totally loved this game, spent hours and hours mopping up every side quest, visiting every building to 'feel' their stories, then stupidly decided to go into the endgame before completing the agility skill tree. Well that wasn't a good idea :-(

Liamc723

Dying Light is finally getting it's UK physical release this week, so I'll be picking my copy up on Friday.

Any useful tips for a beginner?

Dommel

You can free roam and finish any remaining challenges & sidequests. You can also start New game+

Good to know, I'm at 40+ hrs and 85% story and kinda done with the main quest line stuff. Just want it to be over and mop up the side quests.

One hell of a game though, definitely GOTY material.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
We are going to try to do the co-op trophy again. Can we fine two willing people to drop into our game for a couple mins so we can turn in 5 quests (we have them done and ready to go) and get the trophy?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
1. How can you force a save? Sleeping does not work.

2. Where can I get a pistol without buying it? I've had rifles for a while.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Once you get a rifle the human enemies then stick their hands up and wait for you to line up a head shot ;)

skybald

You'll be able to have your revenge by the end of the game. By the end, your character is so powerful, that human foes become playthings for your amusement.

The slide kick is sort of OP. A lot of times I will kill them with one shot of that and that was even before the second part of the game.

antitrop

The slide kick is sort of OP. A lot of times I will kill them with one shot of that and that was even before the second part of the game.

I never used that or the Dropkick, to be honest. I did it for the "Break X Zombie legs" challenge, but not during normal gameplay.

I never used that or the Dropkick, to be honest. I did it for the "Break X Zombie legs" challenge, but not during normal gameplay.

The dropkick is the most satisfying move in all of video games, you should start using it. Drop kicking people or zombies off roofs never ceased to entertain me.

Top Bottom