• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dylann Roof sentenced to death for the murders of nine black church members

Status
Not open for further replies.

collige

Banned
I consider solitary confinement torture yes.
Those aren't the same thing.
I don't propose anything. I don't believe that we can weigh the murder of a person, with the murder of many. Especially someone who intends to murder again. If he could have, he would have killed every single person in there. What is fair about him staying in prison for the rest of his life? Why is it fair that he would have the same punishment as someone who gets life for the murder of a person?

It's not fair, but the worst things that people can do to each other go far beyond any reasonable sentence the state can give them.

Madness

I think some of you live in ivory towers and have no real comprehension of how some of these people are. There is no rehabilitation, no restorative justice, nothing but pure 'evil' in a Disney sense. Someone like Dylann is so fucked up there is nothing to be gained by keeping him alive except hundreds of thousands of dollars a year of taxpayer money going down the drain. If you work with some of these violent offenders you start to realize there is no humanity. They'd snap your neck in a second and it wouldn't effect them at all.

A lot of the responses in this thread about not giving him the death penalty make it clear to me why overwhelmingly people of colour are given the death penalty and on death row and why so many white offenders are given life. Saying you wanted to give him life so he could suffer 23 hours a day in a cell isn't rational. He is still a danger to himself and others, plus a burden on humanity and society.

5 years of criminology, 3 years of restorative justice work, 2 years of pre-trial work and working with John Howard Society helping offenders, you see things more clearly. I would give Dylann Roof the death penalty in a heartbeat and move on help those who want and need the help.

Zaph

Nearly two dozen friends and relatives of the victims testified during the sentencing phase of the trial. They shared cherished memories and spoke about a future without a mother, father, sister or brother. They shed tears and their voices shook, but none of them said whether Roof should face the death penalty.

That is inspiring. Given their religious beliefs I doubt any of the victims would want the death penalty in their name and the families respect that.

Jacob

He's a shitty fucking person, a psychopath, and a monstrous piece of crap racist shitheel. But we as a society have no right to kill someone, especially considering his last moments will likely be in toturous agony. It's disgusting and unconstitutional.

But seeing as it's SC, it's not an entirely surprising decision.

This was the federal case. Roof has yet to stand trial for the charges the State of South Carolina has brought against him.

How about you make your moral argument about the death penalty when the case isn't so clear cut? Cause arguing that he *shouldn't* be put to death because "it's what he wants" is the most asinine idiotic response I can conceive in response to the deaths of nine innocents.

I don't care what Dylan Roof wants.

I'm not going to argue against the guilt of Dylan Roof either.

I'll just say that when I oppose capital punishment because it can (and likely has) executed innocent people and it's a failing to allow that to happen when there's an option to imprison somebody for life, it leads me to the conclusion that capital punishment should be abolished fully.

I don't let the nature, or the perpetrator, or even my visceral reaction to the heinousness of the crimes sway that. It's a conviction on my part.

I think some of you live in ivory towers and have no real comprehension of how some of these people are. There is no rehabilitation, no restorative justice, nothing but pure 'evil' in a Disney sense. Someone like Dylann is so fucked up there is nothing to be gained by keeping him alive except hundreds of thousands of dollars a year of taxpayer money going down the drain. If you work with some of these violent offenders you start to realize there is no humanity. They'd snap your neck in a second and it wouldn't effect them at all.

A lot of the responses in this thread about not giving him the death penalty make it clear to me why overwhelmingly people of colour are given the death penalty and on death row and why so many white offenders are given life. Saying you wanted to give him life so he could suffer 23 hours a day in a cell isn't rational. He is still a danger to himself and others, plus a burden on humanity and society.

5 years of criminology, 3 years of restorative justice work, 2 years of pre-trial work and working with John Howard Society helping offenders, you see things more clearly. I would give Dylann Roof the death penalty in a heartbeat and move on help those who want and need the help.

but he's still going to cost taxpayer money because it is not an easy process to execute someone

and if you dare say that we expedite his execution while in the same breath invoke how biased the system is against people of color i think you need to take a big step back

My opinion, I'm ok with this, people will say "but that's what he wanted"

Sure that's what he says, until the minutes and seconds before it happens. It's not going to be what he wanted. He will die scared and that's all we can hope for.

What he did was a horrible crime and he deserves strict punishment, however I still stand that I cannot support the death penalty under any circumstance. Let him rot in prison for his crimes and considering his age he'll be there a long, long, long time.

necrosis

But we as a society have no right to kill someone, especially considering his last moments will likely be in toturous agony.

i mean...it's pretty difficult for me to view this as a bad thing in this instance. i would argue he deserves worse

Jag

I hope he's terrified of death. Cruel and unusual punishment may be unconstitutional, but an eye for eye is biblical.

RevenWolf

You cant be against the death penalty AND for this.

God damn just pick a side. Nothing wrong with putting people to death when we know they did it.

And that's how innocent people get killed, because the jury "knows they did it".

I'm against death penalty in ALL circumstances. I would rather keep the worst people in the world alive if it means ensuring not one innocent soul loses their life through such a barbaric punishment.

Not

Banned
Whatever else I think about the death penalty, I'm just glad to see the justice system still punishing racists in some form.

Buzzman

Banned
Those aren't the same thing.
You're right, but Dylann Roof isn't "just" going to be spending his life in prison, he's most likely going to spend most of it in a small isolated cell without any human contact.

It's claimed to be for security purposes, but we both know it's because they want to punish him further.

Xe4

Banned
i mean...it's pretty difficult for me to view this as a bad thing in this instance. i would argue he deserves worse
He definetly does. But our system isn't about vengance, it's about justice, and there's no just way to kill someone.

The jury was selected from the Charleston, SC area.
I think that's what I was getting at. States in the south are far more pro death penalty, meaning their populace is as well.

daffy

Banned
I feel like the people in this thread saying "I'm against the death penalty but for this case..." aren't actually against the death penalty. They just think they have to be because it's the "better" or "liberal" position to take.
If DP is barbaric, I don't see how life imprisonment isn't either. They're both punishments that are meant to eliminate the person from society. Also if you're saying you want him to "suffer" then you're not really helping your case.
And who the hell cares "what he wants"
Here's the thing. I don't like eating fast food after 10pm. But when the club lets out and its 2am and the whole squad wants to eat some smothered burritos I'm not gonna order a salad. Maybe if Taco Bell didn't exist things would be different.

Mesousa

Banned
And that's how innocent people get killed, because the jury "knows they did it".

I'm against death penalty in ALL circumstances. I would rather keep the worst people in the world alive if it means ensuring not one innocent soul loses their life through such a barbaric punishment.

Jury plays little, to no, role in this case. He never denied he did it.

Whompa02

Anyone asking for him to remain alive: Do you want our tax dollars to feed him and keep him around for more time? Just get rid of him...

100% against the death penalty and think it should be completely abolished, no half measures...

...But whatever.

Anyone asking for him to remain alive: Do you want our tax dollars to feed him and keep him around for more time? Just get rid of him...

...that's cheaper.

The death penalty costs a shitload of tax dollars. It's an extremely lengthy process so that innocents aren't killed.

And again, if you say "there was no ambiguity" "it was so clear cut" "it's just so obvious" in order to bypass the process, that is how you lead to innocent people getting killed.

Tarkus

But that video evidence and confession

RevenWolf

Well at least in this case there's no ambiguity!

And Dylann Roof is not innocent.

If people like you two had your way, those boys that got jailed for allegedly raping that woman would be dead right now.

I remember Trump advocating that the penalty should be Brought back, and they were just recently released being proven innocent...

You feel free to have bloodlust, but every innocent death will always be on people like you. Mistakes can always happen, and the penalty is unacceptable.

If people like you two had your way, those boys that got jailed for allegedly raping that woman would be dead right now.

I remember Trump advocating that the penalty should be Brought back, and they were just recently released being proven innocent...

You feel free to have bloodlust, but every innocent death will always be on people like you. Mistakes can always happen, and the penalty is unacceptable.

There's a video

Pathetic

To a hammer, everything looks like a nail. People shouldn't be incarcerated after committing crimes because they should be in mental health care before and instead of committing them.

You're saying you would find it morally acceptable to kill someone because the money used to keep them alive would be better spent somewhere else, if retribution is truly not informing your position.

Bullshit. This isn't one of those cases. I believe that every case is different and should be handled accordingly.

No one in here has been disrespectful of one another's stances. Get off your high horse.

Everything about the justice system costs money. Whether Roof is imprisoned for life or executed, he's going to be a financial burden either way.

There's a lot of people convicted of heinous crimes that were never up for the death penalty getting fed meals and given beds that taxpayers pay for. It's just part of the reality of the justice and prison system.

RevenWolf

Jury plays little, to no, role in this case. He never denied he did it.

But that video evidence and confession

A confession does not always mean guilty... I'm reminded of the case of a man that ended up confessing to hundreds of murders.

Turns out he was mentally ill and they only realised he couldn't have done it when they noticed several of the murders happened at the same time in completely different areas making it impossible.

One of the few posts in here with sense. Bingo on the ivory tower. Some fantasy pipe dreams that some of these people have that this world will ever improve on something it doesn't seek to improve. People kill and most that do have no remorse and couldn't give two fucks about being rehabilitated. No point keeping someone that would likely do it again in a heartbeat around.

Xe4

Banned
There's a video

Pathetic

Bullshit. This isn't one of those cases. I believe that every case is different and should be handled accordingly.

No one in here has been disrespectful of one another's stances. Get off your high horse.
Do tell, where do you draw the line? How are you going to ensure no innocent will get killed? I'm very intrested in hearing.

[citation needed]

http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/issues/death-penalty/us-death-penalty-facts/death-penalty-cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom