• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dylann Roof sentenced to death for the murders of nine black church members

Status
Not open for further replies.

psaman17

Banned
You VASTLY underestimate the psychological effects of being incarcerated.

This is just like the Breivik-thread where people went "He has food, books, a bed and a TV? FOR FREE? Man, I'd love to have that!"

And you guys are underestimating the shittiness of being fucking dead.

Is he really "suffering" in jail? People like this have no remorse, no chance of rehabilitation. He isn't gonna wake up in the middle of the night bothered by all the wrongs he's done.

No, he will sleep soundly on a clean bed every night in an air conditioned, comfortable environment with his every need paid off by you and me while the victims of family members shed tears every night unable to ever forget this painful memory.

Theres nothing wrong that but don't tell me they're suffering or rotting in prison. Don't tell me death is the easier way out. Thats bullshit.

I don't think you really understand how much of a hell hole it really is. Maybe if you actually worked at one of these institutions you'd understand.

Everything in their cell is concrete. The stool, chair, desk, and bed. Everything. They are in their cells for 22 to 23 hours a day. They get an hour of ”exercise"; they just get moved to a cage. Other than that they do not leave their cells at all. The only other time they get moved is if there is some type of emergency. Or if they have to shower, but this depends on the institution they are at. Some places have timed showers in their cells, but most don't. So they get two showers a week. The only contact they have are with the correctional officers. Some places do have a TV in the cells, but that's controlled by the officers, so they can just say fuck them and never turn it on.

I'd take death in a heartbeat over life.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
To those who say CP is wrong how can you morally say that life in prison is right?

He deserves to pay the price for what he did.

Who cares what he wanted, he's still going to disappear from the planet, and as a result the world will be a better place. What's the point of making someone suffer for the rest of their life if they will never reach a point that that suffering could teach them a lesson in order for them to contribute back to society? Finish him.

The person you agreed with claimed that the death penalty frees up resources that can be used reduce crime and recidivism.
The person I agreed with I specifically spoke on the part I agreed with about the lack of reality a lot of people have. If you want to hit him up about the rest of what he said go for it. I said what I had to say about it.

To those who say CP is wrong how can you morally say that life in prison is right?

Morally? What do morals have to do with the criminal justice system?

The case has to be made that killing him is useful. As of right now, it's an expensive pain in the ass and the legal processes that allow for it also harm innocents (harming innocents, of course, being immoral, showing just how useless invoking morality is here).

The case has to be made that killing him is useful.

It is certainly more useful than not killing him. By killing him, the total amount of hatred in the world decreases. Furthermore, all the money that would have been spent taking care of him in jail - feeding him, medical care, etc, will be spared. In prison he likely would have been involved in the Brotherhood. They have influence even outside of prison walls. By killing him he will not be able to further their cause from within prison.

There is <= 0 societal value to keeping him alive in prison. And there is >= 0 societal value in killing him. So kill him.

No, do you?

Do you really believe we have a chance to rehabilitate people like "him"? What does rehabilitation mean to you?

I think in 20-30 years we can start mucking with the brain in a way few people imagine if not sooner. Why do I think this? Because your tax dollars are working on it and for my training to do so as well.

There are a lot of treatments in the works for empathy problems (mostly for autism but could be useful for sociopathy/etc.). If you want links I can send you some.

marrec

Banned

The case has to be made that killing him is useful. As of right now, it's an expensive pain in the ass and the legal processes that allow for it also harm innocents (harming innocents, of course, being immoral, showing just how useless invoking morality is here).

Well it'd be quite the fucking thing if we all suddenly decided that capital punishment wasn't useful when a white boy killed 9 black people.

Wouldn't it?

Pretty useful to kill him to avoid the controversy I'd say.

RevenWolf

So you're saying innocent people being killed because of capital punishment is less important than punishing someone else?

I don't believe this man will reform, and I do think he's guilty, but my objections to capital punishment aren't because of this man, it's because innocent can and have been killed because of it.

It seems clear that many people here want to focus on punishing the guilty, but take little regard for innocents that can and will inevitably be caught in the crossfire as long as capital punishment exists.

Sapientas

Morality is the least important aspect discussed when talking about Capital Punishment though, like this thread demonstrates.

Is he not "paying the price" by spending his entire life in jail? Only his blood can do that then?

Hypron

It is certainly more useful than not killing him. By killing him, the total amount of hatred in the world decreases. Furthermore, all the money that would have been spent taking care of him in jail - feeding him, medical care, etc, will be spared. In prison he likely would have been involved in the Brotherhood. They have influence even outside of prison walls. By killing him he will not be able to further their cause from within prison.

There is <= 0 societal value to keeping him alive in prison. And there is >= 0 societal value in killing him. So kill him.

Except for the fact that capital punishment is more expensive than life in prison.

Plus having it will invariably lead to the execution of innocent people.

Capital punishment is an antiquated concept that has no place in modern society.

RevenWolf

Well it'd be quite the fucking thing if we all suddenly decided that capital punishment wasn't useful when a white boy killed 9 black people.

Wouldn't it?

Pretty useful to kill him to avoid the controversy I'd say.

You're right, because removing capital punishment would NEVER benefit a group of people that are systematically targeted by the police, arrested in a disproportionately larger amount, and punished more severely on average....

I do not agree with this.

There is a social value in removing the death penalty altogether to stop the continuation of claiming wrongfully convicted individuals.

Except for the fact that capital punishment is more expensive than life in prison.

Plus having it will invariably lead to the execution of innocent people.

Capital punishment is an antiquated concept that has no place in modern society.

Only in its current incantation, because the appeals process takes too long and there are too many ways to drag it out. There Should be a maximum number of years to appeal, and after that they send you to the chair immediately. That should be a hard limit, so that it never takes longer than that from sentencing to the carrying out the execution without a pardon.

Hypron

Only in its current incantation, because the appeals process takes too long and there are too many ways to drag it out. Should be maximum 2 years to appeal, and after that they send you to the chair immediately. It should never take more than 2 years from sentencing to the carrying out the execution.

Yeah that'd probably lead to more innocents being killed.

marrec

Banned
You're right, because removing capital punishment would NEVER benefit a group of people that are systematically targeted by the police, arrested in a disproportionately larger amount, and punished more severely on average....

You heard it here first y'all, in order to help lift up black people we have to save Dylan Roof.

Only in its current incantation, because the appeals process takes too long and there are too many ways to drag it out. There Should be a maximum number of years to appeal, and after that they send you to the chair immediately. That should be a hard limit, so that it never takes longer than that from sentencing to the carrying out the execution without a pardon.

If this was carried out retroactively from a few decades ago, dozens, if not hundreds of innocents would be dead.

This is far worse. Appeals take time. People have had convictions overturned after 30+ years in prison. A swift execution removes that possibility permanently.

FStop7

Banned
I never realised so many GAFers were pro-capital punishment. It really puts paid to the stuff I see about us being on left compared to most other popular boards.

Left until principals are put to the test, then forget it. First amendment, fourth amendment, fifth amendment, fourteenth amendment, hell fuck that whole pesky bill of rights when it's inconvenient to this brand of faux progressive.

RevenWolf

You heard it here first y'all, in order to help lift up black people we have to save Dylan Roof.

Deflect harder dude, I'm not stoopping to your level and claim that you clearly don't care about innocent people getting killed!

How about you actually tackle the issue instead of straw manning the argument?

Deflect harder dude, I'm not stoopping to your level and claim that you clearly don't care about innocent people getting killed!

I mean, it's pretty fucking disgusting of you to try to pull that considering who we're talking about

molnizzle

I'm firmly against capital punishment.

...but as long as it's still on the books, people like Dylann Roof should get it.

celljean89

Neo Member

I don't believe CP is the right punishment. Solitary confinement for rest his life is the right punishment in my opinion. Death is the easy way out, solitary confinement is torture. I rather Dylan Roof suffer this way rest of his life, that's justice.

Good. There was no remorse at all for what this evil idiot did to those poor people at that chruch. I support the death penalty for this situation.

marrec

Banned

The issue is Dylan Roof clearly killed 9 black folks in their church after praying with them, it was on camera, he confessed, and was tried in court according to the laws of our land and sentenced to death.

Lets work toward getting rid of the death penalty cause it demonstrably kills innocent people. But I'm not going to get my hands dirty in this particular case. And the fact that you've TWICE brought up how black people are mistreated by the justice system is frankly super fucking suspect considering who we're talking about.

It is certainly more useful than not killing him. By killing him, the total amount of hatred in the world decreases.

Hate is not a quantifiable resource. Killing Roof doesn't stop anyone from hating anyone else, it does not magically lower the amount of hate on this earth.

Furthermore, all the money that would have been spent taking care of him in jail - feeding him, medical care, etc, will be spared.

The death penalty is extremely expensive and very lengthy. Killing citizens is not taken lightly by our legal system due to the frequency of false positives.

In prison he likely would have been involved in the Brotherhood. They have influence even outside of prison walls. By killing him he will not be able to further their cause from within prison.

Advocating the cause of the brotherhood, while being abhorrent, is not something the state puts people to death for. The Brotherhood would be getting dropped like flies if this was the case, but instead they are allowed to propogate.

The value gained from keeping him alive (through the abolishment of the death penalty) would be the guaranteed survival of the falsely accused. That value is most assuredly greater than zero.

rokkerkory

I don't believe CP is the right punishment. Solitary confinement for rest his life is the right punishment in my opinion. Death is the easy way out, solitary confinement is torture. I rather Dylan Roof suffer this way rest of his life, that's justice.

I don't know man, just knowing that your life will end soon is more terrifying to me. But hey, I am not the crazy that did this. He might be all for it.

RevenWolf

I mean, it's pretty fucking disgusting of you to try to pull that considering who we're talking about

I didn't say that the poster doesn't care about innocent people being killed.... I said that if I were to stoop to his level that would be the natural insult to take.

I've said it before, I think the man is guilty, my problem is with capital punishment killing innocent people, which can only stop if capital punishment is no longer a thing.

Serious question: How many people on death row over the past, say, 20 years turned out to have been wrongfully convicted? Does anyone have a statistic?

I didn't say that the poster doesn't care about innocent people being killed.... I said that if I were to stoop to his level that would be the natural insult to take.

I've said it before, I think the man is guilty, my problem is with capital punishment killing innocent people, which can only stop if capital punishment is no longer a thing.

There's a time and a place for things.

Kinyou

The reason to keep people in prison is because they're too dangerous for the public. We have the ability to prevent that he ever harms anyone again by keeping him locked up. And since we have that ability it's hard to morally justify going one step further and killing him.

FStop7

Banned
Serious question: How many people on death row over the past, say, 20 years turned out to have been wrongfully convicted? Does anyone have a statistic?

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/09/134394946/illinois-abolishes-death-penalty

A VERY small example.

Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn abolished the death penalty Wednesday, more than a decade after the state imposed a moratorium on executions out of concern that innocent people could be put to death by a justice system that had wrongly condemned 13 men.

Quinn also commuted the sentences of all 15 inmates remaining on Illinois' death row. They will now serve life in prison.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/documents/RWardenIL.pdf

The failures of the system were largely exposed by students.

Massive, are you denying that the death penalty is unfairly applied to minorities? I mean, I know you aren't, you're a fairly reasonable guy, but then why are you objecting to people asking for the abolition of the death penalty?

To emphasize: nobody's fucking shedding tears for Roof and if you keep implying they are I have to believe that you are being purposefully dense. People are seeing an extremely harmful policy (that is weaponized against innocents) being used and object even when the person is as heinous as they come, because the justice system does not make exceptions.

There's a time and a place for things.

people are discussing the viability of the death penalty in a thread about a high profile death penalty case. that the death penalty disproportionately targets people of color is so massive a part of that conversation that it can't occur without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom