• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dylann Roof sentenced to death for the murders of nine black church members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

I think that's what I was getting at. States in the south are far more pro death penalty, meaning their populace is as well.

That may be the case (I haven't looked at any opinion polling on capital punishment recently), but I think juries in most states would have voted the same way. Tsarnaev got death from a federal jury in Massachusetts, for instance (though he's appealed). Both were terrorist acts that killed kids as well as adults; that cuts deep for people.

RevenWolf

Bullshit. This isn't one of those cases. I believe that every case is different and should be handled accordingly.

No one in here has been disrespectful of one another's stances. Get off your high horse.

Your position is predicated on the idea that mistakes could NEVER be made. I don't believe that for a second, we are human, making mistakes are in our nature. Keeping the penalty will ALWAYS run the risk of killing an innocent.

Chumley

Banned
If people like you two had your way, those boys that got jailed for allegedly raping that woman would be dead right now.

I remember Trump advocating that the penalty should be Brought back, and they were just recently released being proven innocent...

You feel free to have bloodlust, but every innocent death will always be on people like you. Mistakes can always happen, and the penalty is unacceptable.

Wow, this is the hill you want to die on? Dylan Roof? And making out people happy justice is being served to be just like Donald Trump?

Fucking unreal.

Wow, this is the hill you want to die on? Dylan Roof? And making out people happy justice is being served to be just like Donald Trump?

Fucking unreal.

The hill he wants to die on is innocents potentially getting executed by our legal system, lol. That's a hell of a hill.

FStop7

Banned
One of the few posts in here with sense. Bingo on the ivory tower. Some fantasy pipe dreams that some of these people have that this world will ever improve on something it doesn't seek to improve. People kill and most that do have no remorse and couldn't give two fucks about being rehabilitated. No point keeping someone that would likely do it again in a heartbeat around.

Please explain the plethora of other nations without the death penalty that have vastly lower crime and recidivism rates.

If people like you two had your way, those boys that got jailed for allegedly raping that woman would be dead right now.

I remember Trump advocating that the penalty should be Brought back, and they were just recently released being proven innocent...

You feel free to have bloodlust, but every innocent death will always be on people like you. Mistakes can always happen, and the penalty is unacceptable.

Indeed.

Our justice system, any justice system is gonna make mistakes(or be biased in some way), and quite a few death row inmates have gotten exonerated, and you have to imagine many more have died, or will potentially die because of it's existence. Death row is also expensive, and frankly, blood lust ain't a good look, and doesn't actually solve anything.

It should get the fuck out. (but again, I'm not gonna put too much effort into this)

marrec

Banned

That's quite the fucking leap to conclusions you've made. :lol

me: "There's no ambiguity in the Dylan Roof case, they will not be putting an innocent man to death"

you an intellectual: *vaguely bungles an attempt at shaming me over a completely different case and compares me to Trump, assumes I have bloodlust and blames me for every innocent death*

Nice, you got me.

Xe4

Banned
That may be the case (I haven't looked at any opinion polling on capital punishment recently), but I think juries in most states would have voted the same way. Tsarnaev got death in federal court from a jury in Massachusetts, for instance (though he's appealed).
That's fair. We look at acts of terror very differently, death penalty wise. Though I'm somewhat surprised MA still has the death penalty.

I'm talking about this case in real life, not hypotheticals or cases to come. You're not arguing in good faith so I'm not going to humor you further.
No. Answer the question. Innocent people die dude. They have in the past and will in the future. Juries were absolutely sure of someones guilt before, and they turned out to be innocent. Shit, innoce t people have been cowrced into confessing on camera about murdering and raping. Short of abolishing the death penalty, how do you stop innocents from dying?

Since no one wanted to google it, here is forbes on the matter: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyph...enalty-your-tax-dollars-at-work/#577936e817f0

As a future medical professional and as a neuroscience researcher, I think this is a very sad outcome of a very sad event. Though I guess I am biased given what I know of how the brain works.

Also solitary confinement is definitely torture, it destroys the brain if it happens over any period of time (I can find the papers again if anyone wants receipts).

RevenWolf

Fucking unreal.

I'm not defending what he's done. And there is no "hill". I believe the penalty is never an option, because as long as it exists mistakes can be made.

Is this one of those mistakes? I don't think so, but the EXISTENCE of the penalty is what I oppose because it can, has, and will continue killing people that are innocent.

The example I put was pointing out what COULD have happened if the death penalty was in place.

I'm not talking about other cases. This is 100% guilty. If there isn't any doubt whatsoever, like THIS case, death is warranted.

Is Dylann Roof innocent?

what standard are you using to determine this? If said standard is based on nothing but your whims, how could that standard of individually decided apparent guilt not be used by others on potentially innocent people?

Please explain the plethora of other nations without the death penalty that have vastly lower crime and recidivism rates.
What does that have to do with what I said? I'm talking about this specific case.

If you want to start talking about how abolishing the death penalty lowers crime in other nations over America be my guest. But don't forget to pull up some reciepts with that order.

F34R

I don't care about the costs. I care about him dying. That's all. I want him to die at the hands of someone other than himself.

psaman17

Banned
So he gets the easy way out? Man, he would suffer more in jail for life. I don't agree with this.

Is he really "suffering" in jail? People like this have no remorse, no chance of rehabilitation. He isn't gonna wake up in the middle of the night bothered by all the wrongs he's done.

No, he will sleep soundly on a clean bed every night in an air conditioned, comfortable environment with his every need paid off by you and me while the victims of family members shed tears every night unable to ever forget this painful memory.

Theres nothing wrong that but don't tell me they're suffering or rotting in prison. Don't tell me death is the easier way out. Thats bullshit.

what standard are you using to determine this? If said standard is based on nothing but your whims, how could that standard of individually decided apparent guilt not be used by others on potentially innocent people?

The standard where he's ON TAPE ADMITTING IT.

I mean, are people kidding me? I'm not responding to any one anytime. You have the right to believe in what absolutes you want. This man killed 9 INNOCENT people with no regrets. Fuck him.

Roof's case is not that. The two are not alike in any way at all whatsoever.

The point is that "obviously apparent guilt" is not a definable, measurable metric and could be (and fucking has been) used against innocent people. It's a piss poor argument for having someone killed.

Xe4

Banned
I might as well watch fox news for the political lay of the land. You can't be serious.
I am serious. Dylan Roof is the 100% guilty, but the death penalty is never ok. As long as it exists, innocent people will die.

I mean, are people kidding me? I'm not responding to any one anytime. You have the right to believe in what absolutes you want. This man killed 9 INNOCENT people with no regrets. Fuck him.
Just like the Central Park 5 and Norfolk Four huh. Oh, wait...

The Beard

Waste of money, should've just given him life with no parole and let him rot, it'd been cheaper.

You know the DP is only more expensive than life in prison when the convict files appeal after appeal, right? Roof, who was his own lawyer, won't be doing that (I don't think).

RevenWolf

That's quite the fucking leap to conclusions you've made. :lol

me: "There's no ambiguity in the Dylan Roof case, they will not be putting an innocent man to death"

you an intellectual: *vaguely bungles an attempt at shaming me over a completely different case and compares me to Trump, assumes I have bloodlust and blames me for every innocent death*

Nice, you got me.

Nice deflection, my point was that the reason those innocent could very well be dead. They spent 20 years in prison before being declared innocent!

Is he really "suffering" in jail? People like this have no remorse, no chance of rehabilitation. He isn't gonna wake up in the middle of the night bothered by all the wrongs he's done.

No, he will sleep soundly on a clean bed every night in an air conditioned, comfortable environment with his every need paid off by you and me while the victims of family members shed tears every night unable to ever forget this painful memory.

Theres nothing wrong that but don't tell me they're suffering or rotting in prison. Don't tell me death is the easier way out. Thats bullshit.

Do you really believe that? Do you really think psychology and psychiatry and neurology won't have the tools to rehabilitate him?

marrec

Banned
I am serious. Dylan Roof is the 100% guilty, but the death penalty is never ok. As long as it exists, innocent people will die.

Cool fine, lets get rid of it cause innocent people might die.

But I'm not going to get up and shout cause Dylan Roof's dying for his crimes. Time and a place. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Nice deflection, my point was that the reason those innocent could very well be dead. They spent 20 years in prison before being declared innocent!

I'm sorry are we talking about Dylan Roof or you're vague other case?

I don't have a problem with the application of the death penalty, which is currently a part of the justice system, here.

The reason that you are okay with it (the "obviously apparent guilt" argument) has led to the deaths of innocent people. Of course nobody is shedding tears for Roof, but the arguments used advocating his execution are shaky as shit.

So video evidence is where the troublesome legal system should stop applying to a person?

PSqueak

Banned
Well, at least he got the maximum possible punishment according to the law, but he should rot in jail for a life time so he doesn't get the easy way out and/or what he wanted.

Jacob

While I do not think there is any doubt in Roof's case, saying that the death penalty is okay in cases where the accused has confessed doesn't really get rid of the problem of innocent people being executed, because innocent people confess to crimes they didn't commit on a depressingly regular basis.

http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/q...cle_c3c83c55-965c-5741-a5f0-295d4db17c55.html

trixx

Killing a vile murderer/rapist costs more than keeping them alive for 50 years. You gotta show the receipts pall

I think it has to do with legal costs and process. Keeping a person alive doesn't cost much especially when we consider the QoL of inmates of this calibre. Mostly paying for security and upkeep likely.

psaman17

Banned
Do you really believe that? Do you really think psychology and psychiatry and neurology won't have the tools to rehabilitate him?

No, do you?

Do you really believe we have a chance to rehabilitate people like "him"? What does rehabilitation mean to you?

RevenWolf

While I do not think there is any doubt in Roof's case, saying that the death penalty is okay in cases where the accused has confessed doesn't really get rid of the problem of innocent people being executed, because innocent people confess to crimes they didn't commit on a depressingly regular basis.

http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/q...cle_c3c83c55-965c-5741-a5f0-295d4db17c55.html

Exactly, some people just snap, I don't think this man is innocent, but this kind of stuff does happen, and isn't always Vought before it's too late.

FStop7

Banned
What does that have to do with what I said? I'm talking about this specific case.

If you want to start talking about how abolishing the death penalty lowers crime in other nations over America be my guest. But don't forget to pull up some reciepts with that order.

The person you agreed with claimed that the death penalty frees up resources that can be used reduce crime and recidivism.

CoolOff

You VASTLY underestimate the psychological effects of being incarcerated.

This is just like the Breivik-thread where people went "He has food, books, a bed and a TV? FOR FREE? Man, I'd love to have that!"

You know the DP is only more expensive than life in prison when the convict files appeal after appeal, right? Roof, who was his own lawyer, won't be doing that (I don't think).

We'll see, I'm counting on DP appeals and I see living the rest of your life in prison as a more severe punishment but if someone somehow manages to get to him during that time, oh well.

Buzzman

Banned
I don't care about the costs. I care about him dying. That's all. I want him to die at the hands of someone other than himself.

I don't have a problem with the application of the death penalty, which is currently a part of the justice system, here.

Do you not see how you're literally ignoring factual evidence about how the Death Penalty is harmful, just to satisfy your bloodlust?

It's more expensive, it's prone to failure, it does nothing to deter crime, as we can see in many other countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom