• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 7 |OT| - GODDAMIT NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN!

Did Koei ever give a reason why they weren't bothering with a 360 release of the expansion? I wonder why they don't offer it up as DLC or something along those lines.

Their track record in the past seemed to be a lot more solid in making sure every platform got a release but these days it seems to be a bit of a crapshoot as to what gets released overseas and on which console.

At least it seems like Orochi is back on track to making sure both consoles get their regular musou fix.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody care to do a quick rundown of DW7 versus DW7 XL versus Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage versus Sengoku Basara 3? Looking for a musou fix and only really need to pick up one. didn't seem worth making a whole new thread. Cheapness of the latter two is a factor I'm keeping in mind.

Will be playing mostly single player with a little bit of local co-op thrown in.

I've played DW7 and Sengoku Basara, and I like both. I guess if you care about the DW characters go for that, but Sengoku is probably slightly better as a game.

Anybody care to do a quick rundown of DW7 versus DW7 XL versus Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage versus Sengoku Basara 3? Looking for a musou fix and only really need to pick up one. didn't seem worth making a whole new thread. Cheapness of the latter two is a factor I'm keeping in mind.

Will be playing mostly single player with a little bit of local co-op thrown in.

DW7 and SB3 have the most interesting single player.
SB3 and FOTNS are more Final Fight -ish. SB3 has the better stage design. Don't recommend FOTNS unless you are a big fan of the series.
DW7 XL is an expansion pack to DW7. Get DW7 first.

It's really a toss up between DW7 and SB3 depending on whether your preference is for more "designed" stages or a slightly more open battlefield with an objective management aspect.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
DW7 and SB3 have the most interesting single player.
SB3 and FOTNS are more Final Fight -ish. SB3 has the better stage design. Don't recommend FOTNS unless you are a big fan of the series.
DW7 XL is an expansion pack to DW7. Get DW7 first.

It's really a toss up between DW7 and SB3 depending on whether your preference is for more "designed" stages or a slightly more open battlefield with an objective management aspect.

By that, I'll probably go SB3 just becaus in a tossup the one that costs half as much wins (DW7 only 45 bucks on Amazon right now, SB3 in the $15-20 range). :). Where do the Gundam games fit in? Unfortunately around the full $60 for either of the two most recent games but I suppose I should at least ask.

I'm a massive HnK/FotNS fangirl, and even I can't back that horse. Ken's Rage is a real stinker.

Warriors Orochi 2 on 360/PSP(PS2?) is still a viable musou game this gen. Perhaps not the prettiest, but tons of fun.

Dynasty Warriors 7 v.s. Sengoku Basara 3:

Haven't played Ken's Rage but between DW7 and SB 3 I'd reccomend Sengoku Basara 3 because it has a better presentation (every character has his own) and better storytelling/cutscenes (i.e. "Ignorance is bliss").
With DW7 they managed to depict the events closer to the book but how they actually tell the story is really awful/dull.

Sengoku Basara has however a big flaw and it's the chance to retcon events (the events are not fictional like in Three Kingdoms): Mitsunari has lost the battle of Sekigahara but you can nevertheless play as him (or any of his faction) and win.
Also, SB3 lack of Japanese dub (DW7 has it as free DLC).

Where DW7 is dull, Sengoku Basara 3 manages to bring a smile on your (mine, actually) face.

Gundam: Dynasty Warriors 3

It's shit.

They tweaked the gameplay, changed the art style to cel shading and locked the game to 60fps and yet they decided to go alongside Warriors Orochi regarding the story: it happens in an alternate dimension :|

Fuck them.

Xater

Dynasty Warriors 7 v.s. Sengoku Basara 3:

Haven't played Ken's Rage but between DW7 and SB 3 I'd reccomend Sengoku Basara 3 because it has a better presentation (every character has his own) and better storytelling/cutscenes (i.e. "Ignorance is bliss").
With DW7 they managed to depict the events closer to the book but how they actually tell the story is really awful/dull.

Sengoku Basara has however a big flaw and it's the chance to retcon events (the events are not fictional like in Three Kingdoms): Mitsunari has lost the battle of Sekigahara but you can nevertheless play as him (or any of his faction) and win.
Also, SB3 lack of Japanese dub (DW7 has it as free DLC).

Where DW7 is dull, Sengoku Basara 3 manages to bring a smile on your (mine, actually) face.

Gundam: Dynasty Warriors 3

It's shit.

They tweaked the gameplay, changed the art style to cel shading and locked the game to 60fps and yet they decided to go alongside Warriors Orochi regarding the story: it happens in an alternate dimension :|

Fuck them.

You could not be more wrong.

I have never played a Dynasty Warriors game, should I just get XL or get some of the anime spinoffs instead?
I really enjoyed the Sengoku Basara demo, but other than that I have little idea what DW or other similar games are like.

Shadow780

XL does not have Story and Conquest Mode on its own, you have to mix-joy with vanilla DW7 to get them.

If you haven't played any musou games before try Sengoku Basara 3, it's cheaper and the gameplay's great.

DW7 has a better Story mode, more characters, and arguably worse gameplay, it has online co-op in Conquest mode, (if you mix-joy with XL you get co-op for Story as well).

XL does not have Story and Conquest Mode on its own, you have to mix-joy with vanilla DW7 to get them.

If you haven't played any musou games before try Sengoku Basara 3, it's cheaper and the gameplay's great.

DW7 has a better Story mode, more characters, and arguably worse gameplay, it has online co-op in Conquest mode, (if you mix-joy with XL you get co-op for Story as well).

I thought XL was an updated DW7 in disc, if it's lacking story mode I really don't see the point in it.

Shadow780

I thought XL was an updated DW7 in disc, if it's lacking story mode I really don't see the point in it.

Yeah it's like that since DW3, you need both discs. I think the vanilla stuff is still in XL disc, but you just need the disc to activate it so they know they raped you twice.

Standalone XL gets you Legends Mode and Challenge Mode.

Shadow780

HnK Musou is different in that you don't slaughter hordes and hordes of enemies like other musou games. The number of enemies on screen is lesser, the focus is on each individual character and their movesets.

The tempo is slower, more violent. Try the demo first, and if you're fan I think it's a good game, but an acquired taste.

Takuan

Haha, I was in the exact same position as you - suddenly got an itch for a Musuo title, so I began snooping around GAF & Koei Warriors' forums for the most recent releases and Youtube for character gameplay videos. I wound up choosing Basara 3 because while I like what I played of Utage on the Wii, I found I really wanted to understand the dialog, the item text, and to be able to play it in HD. Plus, it was only $20 bones (Canadian).

I was really close to buying DW7: XL because I like the design of the character featured on the cover and the game's different art direction, but I'm glad I didn't. I had no idea it was an expansion pack that didn't include DW7 content, I'd thought it was 7 plus additional characters, new items, and new modes. I may still buy it down the road, but it'll definitely be at the $20 price point.

My mom will be in Taipei for Lunar New Year, so maybe I'll ask her to check around for Utage if it's cheap. I'm pretty sure if Play-Asia charges ~$45 for it, it'll be even cheaper in Taipei.

Edit: Just did a quick search on a Taiwan eBay-ish site, and it's actually not much cheaper @$40 Canadian converted. Play-Asia's asking price is very reasonable.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
You could pay 40-50 and import Utage. Doubles the amount of characters and it's not like it's a language intensive game.

Plus you get big ass chainsaw hands. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Part of bringing it up now is because I can likely get one for free for Christmas and I'm deciding what to put on my list late. Nobody in my family is going to be importing anything from another country. :D

If I don't get anything for Christmas I'll probably go with SB3 for sure because, hey, $15.

Top Bottom