• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 7 |OT| - GODDAMIT NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Necromanti said:
This might not be the right thread for this, but...would this be a good entry in the series for someone who has little to no experience with it? I recently got Samurai Warriors: Chronicles for the 3DS, and have been enjoying it quite a bit.

What are the definitive Dynasty Warriors titles that I should get my hands on?

Every game pretty much offers the same rudimentary gameplay. If it's a greater ratio of persistent rewards and mid-battle objectives you desire, then DW5(PS2) and Sam Warriors 3(Wii), are the games to get.

DW7 is addictive, but rather scaled back in terms of 'rewarding' the player with doodads and knickknacks. The battle maps are extremely linear in terms of structure and objectives as well, compared to the above games. It's a simpler and therefore more relaxing experience, one that doesn't shuttle you across maps with stringent objective timers and altering battle conditions, but that is a good thing for some fans.

I personally did not care for Gundam 1's unique brand of progression(both inside and outside battle), and skipped part 2. GAF swears by Gundam 3, but I am hesitant still.

They need to bring items back into the series. It was always fun after the battle to see what items/upgrades you found and I loved searching for those secret items/4th weapons. It was also a great incentive to play higher difficulties and since they were frequently hidden in the hardest difficulty, it gave me a reason to use a maxed out character.

MrDaravon

Does anyone know if any of the DLC so far that's out in Japan has added any trophies or not? I just 1000'd the game last night, this may or may not influence my decision to keep the game as I'm pretty burnt out on it at this point.

SailorDaravon said:
Does anyone know if any of the DLC so far that's out in Japan has added any trophies or not? I just 1000'd the game last night, this may or may not influence my decision to keep the game as I'm pretty burnt out on it at this point.

No added trophies / achievements yet. Most likely won't be unless they make XL or Empires DLC.

AdawgDaFAB said:
No added trophies / achievements yet. Most likely won't be unless they make XL or Empires DLC.

Realistically I wonder what the chances of that happening are? Koei have been pretty good with post-release support for their games this gen, but it's generally been smaller stuff, they've yet to go all out with an expansion sized DLC.

DW7 was supposed to be released in Sweden today but apparently it slipped... again. Is it out in the civilized part of the world?

I'm waiting for someone to do Conquest coop with but if I keep this up I will have finished it myself. I did the Three Kingdoms marathon and won Red Hare at the end, which is awesome.

Xater

SiegfriedFM said:
DW7 was supposed to be released in Sweden today but apparently it slipped... again. Is it out in the civilized part of the world?

I'm waiting for someone to do Conquest coop with but if I keep this up I will have finished it myself. I did the Three Kingdoms marathon and won Red Hare at the end, which is awesome.

Game has been out in Germany even before the official release of April 8th. So yeah it's basically out everywhere else.

Die Squirrel Die said:
Realistically I wonder what the chances of that happening are? Koei have been pretty good with post-release support for their games this gen, but it's generally been smaller stuff, they've yet to go all out with an expansion sized DLC.

If they do XL I see it being DLC, while Empires being it's own release. That was how they did SW2XL and SW2E on 360. If SW3 itself was already on PS3 then I don't think we would have seen that get a disc release in the form of SW3Z either.

MoxManiac

For XL they could do small side story modes for the characters that got little to no playable time in the main story modes.

Free Mode + making the DLC weapons Ex weapons for characters who have clone movesets + mini stories for neglected characters in 7 = Perfect setup for XL. Of if they want, change the mini stories thing to Empires mode and CAW and you have a good setup for Empires as well.

So far I've found that the legendary battles in Conquest are a pretty good alternative to character specific paths. In many cases they'd just pad the story modes way too much, so it's better to have them separate.

So this may be a silly question but are the DLC costumes from previous games remade, or are they straight model dumps? Also do the newer characters get costumes to balance it out?

Die Squirrel Die said:
So this may be a silly question but are the DLC costumes from previous games remade, or are they straight model dumps? Also do the newer characters get costumes to balance it out?

- They are the previous costumes, remade for the game. They look really nice and even change things like Gan Ning going back to his old hair style for his DW 4 and 5 outfits and Liu Bei getting back his facial hair.

- Koei has stated on their Japanese twitter recently that they are working on new outfits for everyone in the game, to come sometime down the line. Right now basically all 46 returning characters will get old outfits and the newbies have to wait. For the DW6 pack, the people not in 6 will get their original MOZ outfits made in the "DW6 style". For the DW4 pack, the people not in 4 will get their 3rd MOZ alt outfits.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I really didn't like the Jin campaign. A number of the battles were starting to become hilariously predictable.

Leader: Go attack the enemy!

My guy: *rides about 2/3rds of the way towards the main guy hacking and killing everything*

Leader: ZOMG reinforcements are heading to our main camp!

It's not fun to have to slowly gallop all the way back to the main camp all the time...

I miss the more complex and "branching" battles of earlier entries where you could actually prevent officers from dying and unlock them that way instead of this whole "yay they lived! oh nvm they got shot by an arrow lulz".

Basically while actual battle strategy was pretty light as it is in earlier iterations, it seems nonexistent in this version.

I still love the weapon switching though. It's great not having to use horrible weapons when you don't want to.

Yesh! Koei Japan announced a Great Ax and Sai DLC weapons for May ^___^.
13789ef2.jpg

bd5c8cd7-s.jpg

Spent far too long playing this recently. Mainly using Wang Yuanji (Knives+Claws) with a side order of Ding Feng (Gloves+Cannon) and Xiao Qiao (Iron Fan+Spinner). Game's a blast, though it has its fair share of flaws which everyone's already pointed out.

Looking forward to the DLC, particularly if it means I can ditch XQ's godawful DW7 outfit.

Xater

I finished the game and enjoyed it but overall I am not a big fan of the character progression system in this game. The way Samurai Warriors handles character growth and weapon upgrades is way better.

US DLC is up on XBLM:

- Japanese Voice DLC - Free - ~1 GB
289bxn4.png

- Sanjiang Castle Stage + BGM Pack - 240 Points - 86 MB
- DW1 Zhao Yun, Xiahou Dun, Lu Bu, Diao Chan and Taishi Ci Outfits - 80 Points - 16 MB
- DW6 Outfit Pack - 80 Points - 142 MB
- Bomb + Dagger-Axe Weapon Pack - 160 Points - 16 MB

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So wait...the costume and BGM DLC isn't free? Like it was in Japan? And like a Koei rep said it would be?

Welp, that seals the deal. Selling this game ASAP.

Prophane33

It is pretty bad of Koei to not only charge for stuff that was completely free in Japan, plus we were lead to believe was free in the states, but they also combined the previously free music and the pay to play stages. So now I have to pay for a stage I don't want, to get music I DO want. This move seriously has me questioning any future Koei purchases, and the fact that I own somewhere between 85-90% of the games they've released in the states since the SNES should at least show you how big of a deal this is.

Prophane33 said:
It is pretty bad of Koei to not only charge for stuff that was completely free in Japan, plus we were lead to believe was free in the states, but they also combined the previously free music and the pay to play stages. So now I have to pay for a stage I don't want, to get music I DO want. This move seriously has me questioning any future Koei purchases, and the fact that I own somewhere between 85-90% of the games they've released in the states since the SNES should at least show you how big of a deal this is.

you can thank the smart guys paying for previously unlockable content. i'm definitely waiting for the holy bargain bin now.

Is it confirmed that the PSN DLC will be paid DLC, too? We've had cases before where XBL had to pay for DLC that PSN didn't.

Sqorgar

Banned
Prophane33 said:
Each item is like $1-$2. Yeah, it kinda sucks, but a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things. This is the same Koei that saves complete characters for their Xtreme Legends expansions.

Marvie_3

Banned
Prophane33 said:
It is pretty bad of Koei to not only charge for stuff that was completely free in Japan, plus we were lead to believe was free in the states, but they also combined the previously free music and the pay to play stages. So now I have to pay for a stage I don't want, to get music I DO want.
Yeah, it's a pretty shitty deal.

I finally finished all the story modes. Thoughts after Wei and Wu:

Wei ended a bit early I felt, but I guess that's because they were hacking off content for Jin. Still got good use out of the characters and everyone got their fair share. Xiahou Dun and Zhang Liao are grade A badasses and Xiahou Yuan was a lot more interesting this time. Hated every second Zhang He was on screen though, except for when he messed with Yuan.

Wu was mostly great and I like Sun Ce a bit more now, never really played him before. Loads of characters went unused though. No Taishi Ci, Zhou Tai or Ding Feng was a bit weak considering especially Ci has been a major character since DW1. Too much Sun Quan - yes, I know they are playable in battles where they actually made a difference but he was hogging the spotlight much more than Cao Cao or Liu Bei.

I also felt that the betrayal of Wu was poorly explained. It was like everyone suddenly started hating Guan Yu's guts and would do anything to kill him. At least in the novel he was arrogant at the end which set up his fall. The lame excuse of "he will even set aside his principles to defend his people" didn't work to explain Quan's motives. But then again maybe Sun Quan was historically a bit of an asshole and they just didn't glorify him all the way this time.

Speaking of which, the Wu ending. Since you never really get it stated that Lian Shi was his wife, the ending comes off weirdly. With him hoisting her up and carrying her towards his troops saying "let's have fun", you start wondering just what kind of fun they're going to have... o_O

Just unlocked the Qiaos and Diao Chan in Conquest. Just a few more before I can put this game away.

Top Bottom