• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 7 |OT| - GODDAMIT NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN!

hmm.

empires 6 burnt me out a little. (by being pretty shit). i liked gundam1/2 better, and orochi z which i think is my favourite

but shit if it's at least a teeny bit better than 6E, i will probably be in at some point. great co-op, as long as you can find another DW fan. good to see it has online and local unlike strikeforce.

better be cranking widdly-widdly-shred guitar music.

Irish

Tkawsome said:
Wu are a bunch of clowns that keep getting their leaders killed.

Xiahou Dun ate his own eye. That alone makes Wei better.

Yeah, but Xiahou Dun is like the backbone of Wei. Without him, Dian Wei, Xu Huang, Zhange He, and Zhang Liao, Wei just seems so devoid of fun characters. I liked Zhen Ji when she had her flute as well.

I mean, you got your pirates, strategists, old warriors, and cocky youngin's in Wu.

:p

Also, I liked the Cow Cow pronunciation. The correct version makes me think Sow Sow or Pig Pig.

kiryogi

Banned
pancakesandsex said:
Can not wait. I hope it's as good as 5 was (Main series pinnacle imo).

I'm a little apprehensive about the story mode, the last time they did it like this was in DW4. Perhaps the next one will go back to individual stories, but I can see them sticking with kingdom plots to reduce costs and still deliver a massive cast.

Does the story mode let you choose between a predetermined stable of characters or is the specific character determined by the stage?

It's specific characters per stage/parts and stages can be sometimes split into two parts. Like for Chi Bi with Wu. You'd start off with Zhou Yu I believe, but second half is Huang Gai.

Also figured out my playtime so far... 55 hours :D

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Irish said:
Yeah, but Xiahou Dun is like the backbone of Wei. Without him, Dian Wei, Xu Huang, Zhange He, and Zhang Liao, Wei just seems so devoid of fun characters. I liked Zhen Ji when she had her flute as well.

I mean, you got your pirates, strategists, old warriors, and cocky youngin's in Wu.

:p

Also, I liked the Cow Cow pronunciation. The correct version makes me think Sow Sow or Pig Pig.
Whatever, Xiahou Yuan is awesome. Most underrated general ever.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
I know we're not supposed to care about the game's reviews, but I did find one that went up early. I figured that someone might be interested to see what the reviewers are saying about it.

Every game site/magazine ever said:
Dynasty Warriors 7 (PS3, Xbox 360)
Warriors, come out and pla-ay!
by Every Reviewer Ever

Can you believe that Koei has cranked out yet another Warriors game? I mean, who keeps buying these things, am I right? Sure, I really enjoyed this series 10 years ago, but it's been garbage ever since. Unfortunately, Koei sent us a reviewable build of the game, so we're kinda obligated to review it. I'm the one who drew the short straw, so I guess I'm stuck. Wow, can you imagine how angry our readers would be if our next Madden review began with the reviewer spending the opening paragraph talking about how much he hates sports games? Let's face it, though, way more people care about Madden than the fifth Warriors game to come out this year, so none of my editors are going to question this intro. Before I dive into quoting a list of game features from the press release and saying how the gameplay hasn't changed, I feel a bit of cleverness coming on. Hmm...I already joked about being forced to write the review. Now I'll say something about how my coworkers walked by my cubicle and cracked jokes about me having to play this trash or how I tricked one of them into playing the multi-player mode with me for a few minutes--and now he hates me! Either one of those works.

Now for the basic description of the gameplay. Considering that I'll be complaining a lot about how everybody knows how this series' stale gameplay goes, I know this explanation isn't really necessary. Still, it helps pad the word count. This is the new Dynasty/Samurai/Orucho/Gundam/Fist of the North Star Warriors game, and guess what? It plays exactly like all the other games in the series. We're all incredibly familiar with it by now, and it's totally dull. You control one of dozens of characters that probably all play exactly the same (I only tried the one that's highlighted by default on the character select screen), and they all have crazy names that are hard to pronounce. Is that racist? Eh, maybe a little. Anyway, after you chose your character, you're dumped onto a battlefield filled with hundreds of brain dead enemy soldiers. All you need to do is tap the X or Square button over and over again until you win. There seemed to be a lot of areas on the map that I didn't have to go to, and little messages from other soldiers kept popping up asking me to do things, but I didn't really pay attention to them. Who knows/cares what that's for? I just kept tapping X. That's all you do in the game. Some people might find this to be "fun," but it's not. Did you see how I used quotes there? That means it's sarcasm!

Now let's look at the press release here. It says something about some new types of modes. To be honest, I only played the new mode for about a minute or two. It seemed like all you did was press X a lot, so it's probably the same as the old Story Mode. Heck, I only bothered playing through about half of the first mission in Story Mode anyway. Can you blame me, though? These games suck. Only a masochist would get "enjoyment" from them (haha--sarcasm!). Seriously, though, the five minutes I spent in Story Mode was more than enough to show me that this game plays EXACTLY like its predecessors. EXACTLY.

The press release also says something about a new weapon and combo system. I'm just gonna gloss over these since I really didn't play the game enough to comment on them. I mean, I was swinging a sword around like in every other game, so how different can the weapon system be? And combos? Did I mention that I pressed X a lot? Real "innovation" there, Koei. There were a bunch of menus and options and stuff before the battle, but I didn't really pay attention to those. I just skipped by that boring crap until I got to the slashy-slashy bits. I probably didn't miss anything, though. We all know how this series goes.

Here's a quick paragraph where I mention that the story is boring and confusing because I don't care about Chinese/Japanese/Orachi/Gundam/Fist of the North Star history. I'll also mention that the graphics are ugly. Since I don't want to be TOO negative, I'll throw the game a bone by saying that fans will enjoy unlocking all of the playable characters. Actually, I don't want to seem like I'm praising it too much. So, you'll enjoy unlocking all of the playable characters--IF you can stomach having to play the game long enough to do so. Heh. Good one.

OK, I've wasted enough of my time writing this review. How should I end this? I could do the pandering "fans won't care about my review and buy the game anyway, which is great if this is the sort of 'game' that you're into" conclusion. Or should I end on a snarky note? Like, say something about how if you "enjoy" this sort of thing, you're clearly a glutton for punishment. Then I could recommend a comically painful experience that would be preferable to playing this game. Yeah, I'll go with the second one: Even though this game is undeniably awful, I'm sure there are some of you out there who will still "like" playing it. If that's the case, might I recommend instead placing a rabid weasel down your pants. At least that wouldn't be as boring and repetitive as this game. Oh, and the weasel would also be on fire--that would be funny. Haha...gotta remember to mention that line on the podcast.

4/10

(NOTE TO EDITOR: I know we haven't gotten a build of the game in yet, but it would save me a lot of time if we could just publish this review on our 3DS site, too. Just change the title to Samurai Warriors: Chronicles and we're set. You might also want to get this review ready to run when the "Xtreme Legends" or "Empires" version of this game comes out.)

k3l26.gif

Whimsical Pete WITH THE MONSTER DUNK.

Fuck everybody who hates these games.

In fact, fuck everybody who thinks these games are less than perfect.

kiryogi

Banned
Haha so much hate for 5J/6. I actually enjoyed it a ton and invested a good amount of time in it. Given I didn't spend as much on it, but the other thing is I took a break from Musou since the domestic release for 4E. So it was pretty refreshing to me, the renbu system and all.

And totally agreed, these games are perfection in terms of what they set out to do :D

Xater

FTH said:
No gundam no buy amirite fellas?!?!

I am still thinking about it tbh. I am more into Samurai Warriors and of course Gundam. If I could find it for a good price I'll probably bite anyway.

DaBuddaDa

This was PS3 only in Japan right? Any word as to how the Xbox 360 holds up? I really worry about framerate drops in games like this.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Shit Mountain has been dethroned!

XaUw4.gif

Whimsical Phil said:
I know we're not supposed to care about the game's reviews, but I did find one that went up early. I figured that someone might be interested to see what the reviewers are saying about it.
A class review!

Alucrid

Banned
Xater said:
Sadly they fast tracked this translation and DW: Gundam 3 is scheduled for Q3. :(

Maaan. I'm itching for some giant robot action. It's not like we get any of the other gundam games or giant mech games from Japan.

Xater said:
Sadly they fast tracked this translation and DW: Gundam 3 is scheduled for Q3. :(

I'm not even a fan of mecha anime but GM3 was sooooooooo good. If they include the DLC for free as a way to make up for being so late to release then I think I will have to get it and re-platinum the game in english. :lol

nli10

I'll probably get this closer to Xmas.

Got the 3DS fun to play first - seriously it's the most impressive game on the system for UK launch, and that's not just because I love the series and the girls demoing the game were kinda cool.

I promise to write a review that this game actually deserves when I buy it.
Chances are 1000% I'm going to play the shit out of it as well.

Xater

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I promise to write a review that this game actually deserves when I buy it.
Chances are 1000% I'm going to play the shit out of it as well.

Pretty sure Jim Sterling will also do a good review. He is the only guy I can think off, who does good Musou game reviews.

Wolves Evolve said:
k3l26.gif

Whimsical Pete WITH THE MONSTER DUNK.

Fuck everybody who hates these games.

In fact, fuck everybody who thinks these games are less than perfect.

I agree.

Conquest Mode has me interested again. If I can grind Dian Wei for hours, then I'm good. :D

Can't believe we're at 7 already. I remember playing the demo to 3 on a disc that I believe was from OPM back in the day and being hooked. Bought every game from 3 to 6 and the books before finally being worn out on the series.

Xater said:
Pretty sure Jim Sterling will also do a good review. He is the only guy I can think off, who does good Musou game reviews.

Yeah, but he's also the worst person in the history of video game journalism, so I don't think that really helps the cause. I rather wish that guy would give games I like terrible scores, so as to further remove me from any knowledge of that joke's existence.

Credo

This has been one of my favorite series since I started back with DW2, and I'm not ashamed to admit it! I found that I didn't enjoy DW6 quite as much as previous entries though, so I'm a bit confused about what to do with this one. I'm looking forward to all your impressions on it to help me make a decision.

Haha I knew a guy at the academy who loved Dynasty Warriors games (this was back in 2003). According to him Lu Bu is some kind of unholy badass.

Sqorgar

Banned
MiniKelly said:
There should only be one of these games per system generation.
The series started on the PS2. You are saying there should only be two Dynasty Warriors games. That's madness. Sure, there are probably too many of them, but two? I'm upset that we aren't getting Orochi Z and there's no word yet on Samurai Warriors 3 XL/Z (I'm part of the problem).

Alrus

MiniKelly said:
There should only be one of these games per system generation.

Anyways, ill get it if I see a good deal.

They sell pretty decently and are one of Tecmo's main source of income, of course they're gonna release quite a few of them. There's no sign of the genre really slowing down in Japan so far :)

Im unsure if I want this. Like DW, but wasnt thrilled with 6 or Strikeforce, and generally have had a better time with Orochi Warriors and Sengoku Basara. Curious to see how the DW fan community receives this one.

hamchan

There are a lot of warriors games but you don't have to buy all of them. I'm pretty happy having skipped DW6 with the way that turned out.

Scribble

Um, I used to be the biggest Musou fanboy ever, but Warriors Orochi 2 was the peak for me. If you're like me, and you've been playing EVERY installment, then surely you must be burned out by now.

(doesn't mean I won't be buying this one)

daffy

Banned
Xater said:
:O Noooooo!! I thought they would get it out somewhere in early Summer! It would've been the perfect April-May-June game :( Hopefully not September...

/immense sadness

Mithel

Neo Member
Can I just say how glad I am that the Renbu system is no more?

Also really hoping for an alternate Lu Bu costume that includes a shirt without holes in it. He must be so cold.

mintylurb

MiniKelly said:
The release is still 2 weeks away, isn't this thread abit early?

The thread title fits perfectly.
Yup. This thread will prob get locked and most gaffers won't even notice it..;<

Shadow780

Japanese version's already out, and there's at least one importer here, does it help my case? :)

If not someone else can always start another one.

Did the Xbox 360 version of this one get canceled too? That's not going to make me buy the PS3 version; that's just going to make me skip this.

Shadow780

BobJustBob said:
Did the Xbox 360 version of this one get canceled too? That's not going to make me buy the PS3 version; that's just going to make me skip this.

PS3 only in Japan, multiplat in US and EU.

updated 360 boxarts.

Top Bottom