• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 7 |OT| - GODDAMIT NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN!

Wait, so... Musou is honest-to-goodness online now? No lame 1-on-1 or separate maps bullshit? If so, I'll have to get the word out to my peeps and what not. Will probably have to throw both PS3 and 360 versions in my rental queue, or at least buy one and rent the other.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I've been extremely familiar with all the ROTK names since I was in 5th grade when I became obsessed with Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2 on SNES.

During my first semester of Chinese in college, my mind was blown. I was saying just about every single name wrong. Also Dynasty Warriors was mispronouncing a bunch of them (might still be in some cases I'll found out in a few weeks!).

The PS2 Romance of the Three Kingdoms games with its Mandarin voice over nails everything though :p

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So if you can use any weapon...

does that mean I could take Pang Tong's staff and give it to Lu Bu and have Lu Bu do that light pillar of death attack?

Or I could have Meng Huo use Sima Yi's laser fan?

Credo

Rentahamster said:
So if you can use any weapon...

does that mean I could take Pang Tong's staff and give it to Lu Bu and have Lu Bu do that light pillar of death attack?

Or I could have Meng Huo use Sima Yi's laser fan?

Stick Meng Huo's gauntlets on Lu Bu and watch him become the most lethal boxer of all time, a Sengoku era Tyson in his prime.

Can weapons and accessories be built up then used by low level characters? It was a pain in the arse in DW6 having to start completely from scratch with every character. The first couple of times was fine but by the time you got to the 20th character at level 1 with crappy weapons it started to drag.

kiryogi

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
Can weapons and accessories be built up then used by low level characters? It was a pain in the arse in DW6 having to start completely from scratch with every character. The first couple of times was fine but by the time you got to the 20th character at level 1 with crappy weapons it started to drag.
Yes they can be. That's one of the benefits to doing story mode before chronicle mode, which is building up a cache of weapons for later use. The catch on the other hand that's just as lame as what's mentioned is that the lack any new skills and stats. You start off with only 4 attack strings, 3 charges, and 1 musou charge. So it's still a drag for the first few battles with a new character.

And yeah almost every weapon is usable, but there are gender specifics. Ie. Diao Chan's whip is female only and Xiahou Ba's giant sword is male only

I've written a ton up about the game after playing it all last weekend. Had a blast with it, can't wait to get it in English in a few weeks.
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/6770500/1/

Kiryogi did you notice how skill points / bukou are shared between characters in Kingdom Mode but earned individually in Chronicle Mode? I noticed that if I play KM and then go into CM with a character they will have the same amount of Bukou as they did at the end of the last KM stage they completed. I haven't tested this enough yet (I only did the first 3 Wu KM stages), but I think I could do something like play Wu's story until Sun Jian dies (so he isn't appearing in more stage and thus getting MORE Bukou there) and then go into CM and spend all his points, while in my KM save I haven't reduced my "Kingdom's Bukou count" at all so that amount is still going forward and being added to more character's total.

cj_iwakura

nYgZC.png

Cute butterfly stamp.

Uh, I've never played a DW game, nothing more to add.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
pancakesandsex said:
Each character is supposed to have a favored weapon for which they get special attacks with.

So basically "Play with whatever weapon you want, but you really shouldn't!"

What's the upgrade system like in this game? Is it automatic or is it a skill chart like the last game? That was the only thing I really liked about 6.

Never played a DW game before, but just chiming in to say that the character designs are pretty damn cool. Might pick this up many months from now.

The Ex Weapon thing is only 1 attack. Like Lu Bu has a move where he runs forward, grabs someone by the face, then slams them into the ground that is done by pressing triangle again after doing his C3-2 attack with any of the 10 Fang Tian Hua Halberds. Characters do have their 2 Musous that generally use their Ex Weapons, but your Musou won't change if you use a different weapon. Thus, the only incentive to use a character's given Ex Weapon is if they have a really OP Ex attack with it.

The weapon system overall is very flexible, there are even seals you can unlock that will make any weapon of given class become 3 star if you have that weapons' Compatibility seal equipped.

Tkawsome said:
What's the upgrade system like in this game? Is it automatic or is it a skill chart like the last game? That was the only thing I really liked about 6.

Skill Trees. You get S5, S6, C5, C6, a second Musou stock, your secondary musou, a skill to get +2 skill points per kill and a few other skills from a character's skill tree.

Stat increases are the old +1, +2, +4, etc... type drops from killing officers.

kiryogi

Banned
AdawgDaFAB said:
I've written a ton up about the game after playing it all last weekend. Had a blast with it, can't wait to get it in English in a few weeks.
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/6770500/1/

Kiryogi did you notice how skill points / bukou are shared between characters in Kingdom Mode but earned individually in Chronicle Mode? I noticed that if I play KM and then go into CM with a character they will have the same amount of Bukou as they did at the end of the last KM stage they completed. I haven't tested this enough yet (I only did the first 3 Wu KM stages), but I think I could do something like play Wu's story until Sun Jian dies (so he isn't appearing in more stage and thus getting MORE Bukou there) and then go into CM and spend all his points, while in my KM save I haven't reduced my "Kingdom's Bukou count" at all so that amount is still going forward and being added to more character's total.
Yup. That's why I recommend playing story mode first to build up those chars for use in chronicle.

And as adawg explained, there's a small skill tree for learning skills now.

And on the guy that has a gf that loves dynasty warriors... you lucky son of a bitch! I echo the "she's a keeper" comments. Motherfucking win.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
So I rented DW6 and played the first two levels of Dian Wei and holy shit! I didn't think it would be possible to fuck up this badly with a series like this but KOEI managed to do it. Renbu sucks and I hate how everything feels as light as a feather. What is it with Koei and even numbered Warriors games sucking shit so badly?

Back on topic, for those who completed story mode on DW7 how long did it take you to clear all the Kingdoms? I don't give a shit about conquest mode or whatever it's called and will be buying this solely for the story mode.

Marvie_3

Banned
Guts Of Thor said:
So I rented DW6 and played the first two levels of Dian Wei and holy shit! I didn't think it would be possible to fuck up this badly with a series like this but KOEI managed to do it. Renbu sucks and I hate how everything feels as light as a feather. What is it with Koei and even numbered Warriors games sucking shit so badly?

Back on topic, for those who completed story mode on DW7 how long did it take you to clear all the Kingdoms? I don't give a shit about conquest mode or whatever it's called and will be buying this solely for the story mode.
I've noticed that too. The soundtrack from DW4 was awesome though. :D

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Guts Of Thor said:

I hope you're exclusively referring to Dynasty because Gundam 2 was a huge step forward. Didn't feel like the usual phoning it in from Koei

Whoa there are wayyyyy too many characters in this game. Are all of those playable? How much differentiation can all these damn characters have really?

<- Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes man myself.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
xKilltheMx said:
Whoa there are wayyyyy too many characters in this game. Are all of those playable? How much differentiation can all these damn characters have really?

One EX move and two Musou attacks. Honestly not much at all. Since any character can use any weapon now, "character uniqueness" means very little.

kiryogi

Banned
Guts Of Thor said:

I think I spent a day per kingdom? I only finally checked my clock a bit after clearing it and a little chronicle mode. Which read like 55 hours.. So maybe 20-30?

edit: Looking at earlier articles. Developer says a good 20 hours for Story mode. 60+ for 100% with chronicle.

kiryogi

Banned
xKilltheMx said:

It's more like 32 different movesets/weapons total for the 62 characters. Which you can mix and match. But each char has a certain weapon they specialize in, which you need to equip to use their EX move and musou. IE Sun Shang Xiang specializes in the chakram, but her 2nd musou requires a bow.

sprsk said:
So basically "Play with whatever weapon you want, but you really shouldn't!"

I would say it's more "experiment with sub weapons" rather than main weapons. I'm not sure if characters favor more than one weapon type, I just gleaned this off the official site.

kiryogi said:
It's more like 32 different movesets/weapons total for the 62 characters. Which you can mix and match. But each char has a certain weapon they specialize in, which you need to equip to use their EX move and musou. IE Sun Shang Xiang specializes in the chakram, but her 2nd musou requires a bow.

36 to be exact. To me characters do still feel different due to learning to combo into / out of their Musous, character stats and character designs. I don't feel like I am playing the same character over and over like some people are complaining they think will be the case. Plus in time with the DLC we will get even more weapons to flesh out the system. So far we have Yue Ying's old scythe as the first DLC weapon coming soon for 100 yen.

You should also point out that while SSX uses the bow in her second musou, it doesn't have to be equip to do the attack. Musou's are completely independent of your chosen weapon. Most characters use their Ex weapon in their musou, but not all.
SSX for instance has the Wheels as her Ex Weapon (Ex attack on c5 or c6, can't recall) but her first Musou involves no weapon - just running up an enemy and stomping on their face - and her second Musou uses the bow - in the air she pulls out the bow and shoots an exploding arrow using her legs to hold the bow in place while she fires.

Die Squirrel Die said:
37 Stages? Nice. IIRC DW6 was only 18 (19 if you counted the Conquest of Wu and whatever the Shu variation on it was separately like the game did). It was hard to stave off the feeling of repitition.

There are 43 maps in the game - 37 are used in Kingdom Mode stories in variations for all of the different stages while 6 others are Chronicle Mode exclusive. 14 of those are brand new, while the rest are carried over from DW6/ DW6 Special / DW6 Empires.

Ya know, the first Dynasty Warriors game I ever played was 6 and as thats my only experience with the series (it was awesome) I can say I am excited for what looks to be a much improved, awesome sequel.

kiryogi

Banned
AdawgDaFAB said:
36 to be exact. To me characters do still feel different due to learning to combo into / out of their Musous, character stats and character designs. I don't feel like I am playing the same character over and over like some people are complaining they think will be the case. Plus in time with the DLC we will get even more weapons to flesh out the system. So far we have Yue Ying's old scythe as the first DLC weapon coming soon for 100 yen.

You should also point out that while SSX uses the bow in her second musou, it doesn't have to be equip to do the attack. Musou's are completely independent of your chosen weapon. Most characters use their Ex weapon in their musou, but not all.
SSX for instance has the Wheels as her Ex Weapon (Ex attack on c5 or c6, can't recall) but her first Musou involves no weapon - just running up an enemy and stomping on their face - and her second Musou uses the bow - in the air she pulls out the bow and shoots an exploding arrow using her legs to hold the bow in place while she fires.
Coulda swore you had to have her bow equipped. Thanks for clearing that up

Dreamer RD

Looking good. When it will be released in US/Europe?
Last game I played was DW3 lol. There was awesome ost, Yellow Turban rebellion theme rocks.

Great thread Shadow780

Shadow780

Originally it was gonna be Mar.22nd, but they pushed it one week which I think due to 3DS launching.

It's gonna be March 29th, and good to see DW3 get its due.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Loved DW5, hated DW6, looks like DW7 at least has more characters this go around. Xing Cai is back. I always used her in 5 and will use her again

kiryogi said:
Coulda swore you had to have her bow equipped. Thanks for clearing that up

Nope, but it IS her second musou, which means it needs to be unlocked via her skill tree. Maybe that caused you to get things mixed up and you used it for the first time while also using the bow or something.

DaBuddaDa

Shadow780 said:
Originally it was gonna be Mar.22nd, but they pushed it one week which I think due to 3DS launching.

It's gonna be March 29th, and good to see DW3 get its due.
March 22 is 5 days before the US 3DS launch, and the 29th is 2 days after. I'm not sure the 29th is better :(

Kaizer

Banned
I feel bad that I missed out on DW3. It came out at a time when I wasn't deep into games so I never had a clue that it actually came out. I remember playing DW2 at a demo station in Toys R Us and then asked my parents to get it for me for Xmas. I played the hell out of that game for years and was suprised as hell when I saw DW4 was coming out, I was taken aback like, "wait, I missed DW3!?!".

The Friday I got DW5 after school though was awesome, played the hell out of it all weekend long and did my homework in homeroom on monday morning.

Shadow780

DaBuddaDa said:
March 22 is 5 days before the US 3DS launch, and the 29th is 2 days after. I'm not sure the 29th is better :(

Maybe people who bought 3DS will realize SW Chronicles is terrible and switch to 3D in DW7. :lol

Top Bottom