• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

ZhugeEX

Banned
Man if they put some effort into it, a PS4 version of DW could be AMAZING.

We'll know how good next gen DW will be based on SW4. They've had more than enough time to make that game so if it's minimal improvement over 3 then i really will be disappointed.

Yeah, would be amazing if they could up the amount of troops on the field to like Total War or Kingdom Under Fire 2 levels.

Knowing Koei the Xbox version would run at 10fps.

Reviews are embargoed until tomorrow, but I wanna just say this is easily my favorite DW since DW3. It basically answers all the criticisms the current-gen DW releases invited, and then some.

And I love the shit out of DW3, so it's high damn praise coming from me.

Well, I'm intrigued.

Well the guys over at KOEI say they want to make Dynasty Warriors an open world game on PS4.

So that might be interesting.... kinda.
That prospect excites me but at the same time I fear it cause I don't exactly trust them enough that I can say they'll pull it off on their first try XD, I hope I'm proven wrong but above shows they are incredibly sloppy at a technical level.
Guess I'll be getting SMT IV instead ;_;
Oh man didn't think they'll will make a crappier port than the Wii U version of Warriors Orochi 3 (terrible utilisation of the specs etc) but seems like they did it, hopefully it can and will be patched.

Reviews are embargoed until tomorrow, but I wanna just say this is easily my favorite DW since DW3. It basically answers all the criticisms the current-gen DW releases invited, and then some.

So far I would concur with this for the most part. I did all of jin and most of shu. This is definitely the best of the ps3 bunch by a long shot.

I do kind of hate the fact that they are moving more and more away from the uniqueness of each character in favor of having so many playable. I think dw5 was the pinnacle in that regard. The leveling, skills, and the way weapons upgrade and such in this one leave me wanting in terms of me feeling like I'm truly upgrading my favorite characters and making them awesome. None of this makes the game any less fun though and I can see most people being perfectly fine with these systems.

So far I would concur with this for the most part. I did all of jin and most of shu. This is definitely the best of the ps3 bunch by a long shot.

I do kind of hate the fact that they are moving more and more away from the uniqueness of each character in favor of having so many playable. I think dw5 was the pinnacle in that regard. The leveling, skills, and the way weapons upgrade and such in this one leave me wanting in terms of me feeling like I'm truly upgrading my favorite characters and making them awesome. None of this makes the game any less fun though and I can see most people being perfectly fine with these systems.
I basically just use EX weapons on each character and only switch when countering. Even then, I usually use the same EX weapon of a different Affinity for the secondary, if I have a good one.

I see why they did the whole "anyone can use any weapon" thing, but it's not to my taste. Hence, I choose to play it traditionally. At least there's the flexibility to do that. Ain't nothing wrong with choice.

I basically just use EX weapons on each character and only switch when countering. Even then, I usually use the same EX weapon of a different Affinity for the secondary, if I have a good one.

I see why they did the whole "anyone can use any weapon" thing, but it's not to my taste. Hence, I choose to play it traditionally. At least there's the flexibility to do that. Ain't nothing wrong with choice.

Yup, I pretty much do the same thing

I feel kind of weird using non ex weapons, so I switch back as soon as I counter

edit: I didn't even think of using two different versions of the ex weapon

Also, on a side note, any interest in the upcoming sengoku basara 4, Jim?

ZhugeEX

Banned
Just like that Yellow Turban video ZhugeEX showed us here, the 360 version and port looks absolutely dreadful and half-assed. I would not be able to stand 5 - 10 minutes of almost constant slowdown.

Well the thing is that KOEI signed off the Xbox 360 version on June 5th 2013. That was 1 month and 10 days ago. Since then they've ported the 1.03/4 patch which will come out tomorrow. As far as i'm aware that patch just adds the weapon tampering patch and fixes enemy AI (according to people with ASIA version) and does not fix the slowdown.

So koei have had enough time to get a fix in the works so hopefully we should have a fix soon and i'd like to hear some official word from them on it. (knowing KT USA we'll have a surprise fix haha)

If they don't fix it soon then we need to demand it because at the end of the day it's unfair on 360 users and KOEI haven't released a satisfactory product here. Same issue happens with a lot of games, i mean look at skyrim for the worst example.

The PS3 version is fine though. no slow down at all. runs at a solid 60fps. Draw frame rate fluctuates between 45 and 60fps.

Yawnier

Banned
Well the thing is that KOEI signed off the Xbox 360 version on June 5th 2013. That was 1 month and 10 days ago. Since then they've ported the 1.03/4 patch which will come out tomorrow. As far as i'm aware that patch just adds the weapon tampering patch and fixes enemy AI (according to people with ASIA version) and does not fix the slowdown.

So koei have had enough time to get a fix in the works so hopefully we should have a fix soon and i'd like to hear some official word from them on it. (knowing KT USA we'll have a surprise fix haha)

If they don't fix it soon then we need to demand it because at the end of the day it's unfair on 360 users and KOEI haven't released a satisfactory product here. Same issue happens with a lot of games, i mean look at skyrim for the worst example.

The PS3 version is fine though. no slow down at all. runs at a solid 60fps. Draw frame rate fluctuates between 45 and 60fps.

Yep, I completely agree with your points. I don't even own a 360 but it always sucks to see people get shafted when they buy a new game for $60 or more on their preferred console of choice, or maybe it is the only current generation console they own so they don't have any other choice to play the game on.

Takuya

Banned

That's great to hear. I'm hoping that co-op has been fixed and is much easier to just hop onto a friend's campaign and play through story/etc. with them. It was a pain to have to re-connect to them after every mission in the past few games.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Yep, I completely agree with your points. I don't even own a 360 but it always sucks to see people get shafted when they buy a new game for $60 or more on their preferred console of choice, or maybe it is the only current generation console they own so they don't have any other choice to play the game on.

Me neither.

But it'd be suicide if KOEI don't patch the game for 360. They decided to do the 360 port because there was enough demand for it and they won't want to let this issue prevent sales and prevent making a return on the investment in the port.

So expect a fix soon. If they don't fix it.... then don't expect a 360 version of DW ever again.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

That's great to hear! :D

sensui-tomo

I can see koei patching dw8 like they did with dw7 empires, oh wait we still never did get that patch with features and generally good fixes.

another thing i noticed from the videos are that the ko counts for a stage are pretty damn high, much higher than they were in the ps2 era games.

is it just plain easier to kill grunts now or are the stages way more populated?

Yawnier

Banned
another thing i noticed from the videos are that the ko counts for a stage are pretty damn high, much higher than they were in the ps2 era games.

is it just plain easier to kill grunts now or are the stages way more populated?

Same thing in DW6 and DW7 too, KO counts were significantly higher than compared to the older DW3/DW4 KO counts most of the time.

To your second question, both are factors I believe but mainly the second one.

Just heard about the xbox issues, very disappointed, I'm a huge dw fan and was very excited about all the new changes. I doubt that it's going to get fixed any time soon so I guess I'm going to miss out on this one.

Xing Cai ;_;

ZhugeEX

Banned
Just heard about the xbox issues, very disappointed, I'm a huge dw fan and was very excited about all the new changes. I doubt that it's going to get fixed any time soon so I guess I'm going to miss out on this one.

Xing Cai ;_;

Well back in 2008 KOEI released Warriors Orochi 2 in the USA on Xbox 360. The release date was 23rd september and there was huge frame rate issues. On the 24th KOEI admitted there were issues. And then on the 3rd of October KOEI patched the game via Xbox Live. This was all within 10 days.

So we could see a patch for DW8 sooner than we think.

Mrbob

Well back in 2008 KOEI released Warriors Orochi 2 in the USA on Xbox 360. The release date was 23rd september and there was huge frame rate issues. On the 24th KOEI admitted there were issues. And then on the 3rd of October KOEI patched the game via Xbox Live. This was all within 10 days.

So we could see a patch for DW8 sooner than we think.

What I don't understand is this sounds like an engine issue which has already been fixed. So why don't they just have the fix in place for the next game?

Congrats!

I would've ordered from Amazon but they tend to deliver my stuff around 4pm. Screw that.

Well I don't get off work till 4:30 and I can get it sent to work so that's why I went with Amazon. And I'm too lazy to bus around downtown to a Gamestop so ~_~.

This is the only recommendation I was waiting for. Good to hear its a keeper.

Torraz

How long are rounds? Really short like in the Gundam Warriors games, or longer, such as in the Fist of the North Star games?

A better endorsement for me than any review score. I got burnt out from the series after 5, but replaying 4 and picking up 7 last year reignited my love for Dynasty Warriors. Seems like I'll be picking up 8 sooner than I thought.

ZhugeEX

Banned
What I don't understand is this sounds like an engine issue which has already been fixed. So why don't they just have the fix in place for the next game?

Warriors Orochi 2 used an engine from the PS2 era.

This is using the new LTGL engine.

So anyone who's playing it, where the hell do you actually upgrade weapons? Because I haven't come across anywhere in the story modes that allow me to do anything other than simply buy weapons...

So anyone who's playing it, where the hell do you actually upgrade weapons? Because I haven't come across anywhere in the story modes that allow me to do anything other than simply buy weapons...

I believe you can only do this in ambition mode and you have to upgrade the weapon shop until you unlocked the ability to.

Top Bottom