• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

So anyone who's playing it, where the hell do you actually upgrade weapons? Because I haven't come across anywhere in the story modes that allow me to do anything other than simply buy weapons...

Ambition mode(super fun) You need to grind for materials to upgrade shops and then as you upgrade your shops you can forge random weapons etc.

Ambition mode(super fun) You need to grind for materials to upgrade shops and then as you upgrade your shops you can forge random weapons etc.

Cool, yeah I wanted to try it but I figured I gotta run through story mode first just to get everyone.

You can't unlock people in Ambition mode can you?

How long are rounds? Really short like in the Gundam Warriors games, or longer, such as in the Fist of the North Star games?

It really depends how fast you want it to go. You can just go straight for the objectives kill(fast) or annihilate everyone on the map(time consuming).

sensui-tomo

never really checked out ambition mode, is it more like the mercenary Xtreme legends idea or something like that character specific story thing that other mode in DW7 had?

never really checked out ambition mode, is it more like the mercenary Xtreme legends idea or something like that character specific story thing that other mode in DW7 had?

More like extreme legends idea. Grow your empire, Camp management. Grind for materials to upgrade weapons, get allies, and fame.

sensui-tomo

More like extreme legends idea. Grow your empire, Camp management. Grind for materials to upgrade weapons, get allies, and fame.

does it have that affinity thing (IE. affection,companionism, like in old games before the females or males would marry/oath sib, and say you were a close friend,companion?) or the rival dialog

does it have that affinity thing (IE. affection,companionism, like in old games before the females or males would marry/oath sib, and say you were a close friend,companion?) or the rival dialog

Nope that's probably gonna be in 8 extreme legends. There are bonds and stuff from 7, there are also camp symbols(like thrones and Altar) that you attain through battles to place in your city. Basically you start with nothing and your city grow and populate with NPC as you grind battles to upgrade. I'm just glad they replace conquest mode with this because that mode sucked donkey balls xD.

sensui-tomo

Nope that's probably gonna be in 8 extreme legends. There are bonds and stuff from 7, there are also camp symbols(like thrones and Altar) that you attain through battles to place in your city. Basically you start with nothing and your city grow as you grind battles to upgrade. I'm just glad they replace conquest mode with this because that mode sucked donkey balls xD.

agreed, conquest mode was all about getting the guy you wanted unlocked -.- and red hare.
i wonder if the psn release will have dlc with it like it did for DW7 Empires.. would make me not buy it from GS since i could easily convince my friend to drop me $20 to share the game digitally

agreed, conquest mode was all about getting the guy you wanted unlocked -.- and red hare.
i wonder if the psn release will have dlc with it like it did for DW7 Empires.. would make me not buy it from GS since i could easily convince my friend to drop me $20 to share the game digitally

Heh that's actually a great idea. Yup Free Mode and Ambition mode will give this game a ton of replay value.

TriAceJP

Any word on PC release? I read that it was heading that way but it's close to release and nothing stated for PC.

sensui-tomo

I'm sure this will make sense once I start playing but I'll probably have to pursue him just to see what happens. Damn you curiosity.

I've done my job well :D
btw for anyone else, does Zuo Ci have his WO3 moveset, or is he OP like DW5 again? getting his level 4 weapon was easy due to how OP he was though.

Any word on PC release? I read that it was heading that way but it's close to release and nothing stated for PC.

probably japan only once the expansion comes out . I remember some group translated the DW7 extreme legends game for the pc. and i wasnt sure if the game was a good port or not.

Yawnier

Banned
I'm going to be away from home for a week (vacation) starting Wednesday morning so I won't be able to play this until Late July most likely. Ah well, shucks.....

I'm a patient guy though lol.

How does this game compare to WO3 (which I'm in the middle of now)? While WO3 is overflowing with characters and movesets/playstyles, the lack of modes and the singular storyline made it a bit too much of a 'make your own fun' type of game.

I guess what I'm looking for are solid scenarios in which the game eases me onto and just lets me play without the character being too out of place. Is the musou mode good? The last 2 DW games I've played are 4 and 5, 4 being the strict kingdom scenario while 5 has the personal. I highly preferred 5.

I don't find WO3's scenario compelling for consecutive playthroughs. What I do is have my top characters carry the weak ones, finding them weapons, then throwing them into the deep-ish end. It gets kinda tiring, I don't know if I'm playing the game 'wrong' or if I have to mix some things up somehow.

Yawnier

Banned
How does this game compare to WO3 (which I'm in the middle of now)? While WO3 is overflowing with characters and movesets/playstyles, the lack of modes and the singular storyline made it a bit too much of a 'make your own fun' type of game.

I guess what I'm looking for are solid scenarios in which the game eases me onto and just lets me play without the character being too out of place. Is the musou mode good? The last 2 DW games I've played are 4 and 5, 4 being the strict kingdom scenario while 5 has the personal. I highly preferred 5.

I don't find WO3's scenario compelling for consecutive playthroughs. What I do is have my top characters carry the weak ones, finding them weapons, then throwing them into the deep-ish end. It gets kinda tiring, I don't know if I'm playing the game 'wrong' or if I have to mix some things up somehow.

DW8's musou/story (essentially kingdom) mode is very similar to DW7, which was in result very similar to DW4.

How is DW8's musou mode different from DW7 though? Well, from most stages at least there are multiple playable characters, you aren't forced to just use one character Koei chose for you for each stage you play like in DW7. Also, there are "what-if" scenarios as well for added replayability.

I can't see Koei ever going back to the 3/5 style of story mode for the Dynasty Warriors series, no way after we saw how gimped the individual-esque story mode ended up being in DW6.....

santeesioux

Shipped from Amazon, will be here Wednesday.

The Jim Sterling seal of approval is enough for me, he's the only reviewer that "gets it".

Shipped from Amazon, will be here Wednesday.

The Jim Sterling seal of approval is enough for me, he's the only reviewer that "gets it".
True, (Even if he hated my game of forever FOTNS 2, my denial will forever deem him WRONG.) Every other reviewer copies and pastes the previous DW review. You can tell Jim actually "played" the game for way more than 5 minutes, to boot.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Yeah. He 1 hit kill me as I was trying to run pass him...

Oh, another thing,

When you die in Dynasty Warriors 8, do you keep the experience you earned from the battle or is it wiped out? I remember you'd keep all the XP you gained in the first two Warriors Orochi games, and possibly Dynasty Warriors 6, but then they inexplicably made you lose everything when you died in 7 and Orochi 3, which really bummed me out.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
DW8's musou/story (essentially kingdom) mode is very similar to DW7, which was in result very similar to DW4.

How is DW8's musou mode different from DW7 though? Well, from most stages at least there are multiple playable characters, you aren't forced to just use one character Koei chose for you for each stage you play like in DW7. Also, there are "what-if" scenarios as well for added replayability.

I can't see Koei ever going back to the 3/5 style of story mode for the Dynasty Warriors series, no way after we saw how gimped the individual-esque story mode ended up being in DW6.....

I did not know about that. Awesome!

Noi

I'm going to be away from home for a week (vacation) starting Wednesday morning so I won't be able to play this until Late July most likely. Ah well, shucks.....

I'm a patient guy though lol.

I shouldn't be happy for someone else's misery, but I'm glad I'm not the only one playing the waiting game. >:D

Top Bottom