• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Ailike

More 360 problems for me.

At Hulao and already a few issues. During a cutscene with the Shu attack on Lu Bu, the camera crapped out and just stared toward the floor with no cutscene. Just the voices.

I get to Dong Zhuo, and the scripting bugged, because he never appeared. Instead I get an endless gate stream ala DW3XL. Was tempted to go for 10k ko's, but I opted to save and reload.

On reload, black screen.

Awesome so far. :(

Aye. Koei Time is definitely an issue.

I laughed when the framerate cut in half after rotating the camera in Ambition mode. Was really hoping they finally got it locked at 60fps. Oh well! :D

Anyone want to add me, feel free. Frostu on PSN.

My man...

tumblr_m96nizVFm01qm89nq.gif

ha ha, you stay having impeccable tastes!

Ok, finished the multiple same tutorials and enjoyed using Sima Zhao's new weapon. Got the trophy and now it's time to start story mode!

bigkrev

Took me HOURS to finish the tutorial, because i'm low functioning autistic and can't tell the difference between R1 and L1 (to do the switch counter). Finally jumped into the main game and died about 8 mins in. I guess not playing this for 10 plus years really erodes any skill you had!

Game is a blast though. The ability to switch weapons adds a bunch to the combos, and I love the EX attacks.

you're literally the only person I have seen this complaint from.. I guess when everyone's familiar with what the xbox360 versions horrible slowdown, they overlook what ever amount the PS3 version has.. Or you're actually playing on the xbox360 -__-

Um....right.
The frame-rate isn't very good. In fact I'd rather Koei attempted to go for 30 fps locked(it hurts to type that).

Even in relatively empty areas like Ambition Mode's camp the frame-rate should be much better than it is.

Game is awesome though. I'm only a few hours in and I can already see how it has improved over DW7.

KLonso

I'm not sure I get the appeal of these games. It seems like there are just enemies sitting around waiting to be tossed about. Or is that indeed the appeal?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
A bit of a weird question here, but it always fascinated me. Musou is a legendary series, in it's own right. It's a massively popular franchise with countless fans. And they are devoted. And the games always sell. And yet...critical reaction is always mediocre. I love the series (Orochi 3 is a near masterpiece) so don't take this in jest. But why does the mainstream press, tear the series down over and over? Don't they ever question why so many love the series? That maybe they are misunderstanding it? Again, this may be ill fated, so I should probably leave it alone. But still, I am fascinated.

A bit of a weird question here, but it always fascinated me. Musou is a legendary series, in it's own right. It's a massively popular franchise with countless fans. And they are devoted. And the games always sell. And yet...critical reaction is always mediocre. I love the series (Orochi 3 is a near masterpiece) so don't take this in jest. But why does the mainstream press, tear the series down over and over? Don't they ever question why so many love the series? That maybe they are misunderstanding it? Again, this may be ill fated, so I should probably leave it alone. But still, I am fascinated.

It's a beat em up (a "dead" genre in the west) plus it's a celebration of both Chinese culture and a civil war that happened 2000 years ago (which has zero bearing on showing how awesome 'Murrica is, unlike in most games)

That said, the appeal of the games are that you're living history, specially the history of near-godlike generals who are almost literally moving heaven and earth to kill each other. You chew through tons of cannon fodder to bolster the idea that you're a war god.

I haven't played a traditional DW game since DW5. Though I did enjoy the forays they took into the Gundam and One Piece franchises.

So what's the consensus on DW8 so far? Has anything changed in the gameplay department?

mintylurb

you're literally the only person I have seen this complaint from.. I guess when everyone's familiar with what the xbox360 versions horrible slowdown, they overlook what ever amount the PS3 version has.. Or you're actually playing on the xbox360 -__-

WO3, DW7XL, DW7e ps3 versions all suffered from noticeable frame-rate problems on top of insane pop ups. And that freaking huge min map.. I still enjoy playing these games but that doesn't mean they aren't a technical mess.

Oh god, I always forget how the beginning of Wu is basically killing off all the cool officers. :[

OH HEY, I CAN BE DAQIAO. WHAT MADNESS.

squall23

What'd they do with weapons? Why is Zhao Yun fighting with dual blades/sticks and what appears to be some sort of feather?
Characters aren't stuck to the weapons they're known for now. Any character can use any type of weapon, it's just that characters that use their own type of weapons have access to EX attacks.

Lockon

Finished Shu story mode...Guan Yu is still my favorite, and Xingcai is still as awesome as ever.

Guan Xing is just insanely fun for me flying around with his moves, musous, and rage attack. Also his third musou is him using Guan Yu's Blue Dragon which is awesome and a nice touch.

And last but not least, Guan Yinping is just...<3. Going to start Wei's story mode tomorrow.

BadAss2961

Characters aren't stuck to the weapons they're known for now. Any character can use any type of weapon, it's just that characters that use their own type of weapons have access to EX attacks.
Eh, I don't like the sound of that. A large part of these characters identities are their weapons.

Still looks fun though.

What'd they do with weapons? Why is Zhao Yun fighting with dual blades/sticks and what appears to be some sort of feather?

This is my first game in a long time so not sure. I know that you get to select the two weapons from the start. I didn't know exactly what I was doing.

For example there was a meter that would keep filling up on the far left and flashing... NO idea what it does. There was special moves that like sucked people in, no idea how to do it. Also one weapon I used forever , it never leveled up, another weapon did. Guess I need to do the tutorial mode but because I was streaming I decide to just go ahead and go for it.
Def freaking fun though. I got to the second level on Shu and the boss just destroyed me in one hit basically.

How do you know which weapons are their type?

BadAss2961

This is my first game in a long time so not sure. I know that you get to select the two weapons from the start. I didn't know exactly what I was doing.

For example there was a meter that would keep filling up on the far left and flashing... NO idea what it does. There was special moves that like sucked people in, no idea how to do it. Also one weapon I used forever , it never leveled up, another weapon did. Guess I need to do the tutorial mode but because I was streaming I decide to just go ahead and go for it.
Def freaking fun though.

How do you know which weapons are their type?
Well, Zhao Yun uses a spear. Watching you play, I saw that he still pulled out his spear for his musou attack even though you were using a different weapon type. So I guess using different weapons doesn't change the character's musou.

That was me trolling in the stream btw. That one-hit Lu Bu kill had me rolling. It's been too long since i've seen him do that.

BadAss2961

I was like... WTF lol. I guess I'm just supposed to level up or something!? :p This series is so new for me!!
Yes. Unless you're a series vet and know ways to manipulate the AI, you have to level up quite a bit before you can approach Lu Bu. Right now, Lu Bu probably won't even flinch to your attacks.

Def freaking fun though. I got to the second level on Shu and the boss just destroyed me in one hit basically.

The meter on the far left is your rage bar. Fill it up, press R3 and you enter rage mode with increased stats and access to rage musou.

Weapons no longer level up. Instead it is just your character that levels up and exp is shared in story mode so everyone levels up.

Are you freaking kidding me?

Triggered a true rage musou, got a *huge* army of enemies suffering miserably...and then the game freezes.

Fuck.
iD7RifuaYw2Y3.jpg

Now I have to worry about the game freezing up whenever I bust that particular move out? What a load of shit.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Are the parts between stages that explain the story supposed to be voiced? Seems like it should to me. I want dat audio DLC :x

I tried to fight Lu Bu too and said "nope" the second he hit me once and I lost half of my health lol. Good to see OP Lu Bu back.

Man, fuck Lu Bu.

lol its ok, I every single #'d DW game and I still got killed by Lu Bu twice today, I wasn't trying to kill him though, just trying to kill every single officer (including Diao Chan) and he just happened to 2 shot me haha. Avoid him, as in dont walk up to him until you clear all enemy generals near him then lead him to AI and run the fuck away on your horse and you should be fine

Top Bottom