• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Takuya

Banned
How do you recruit more playable officers in Ambition mode? I started the game with Zhang Fei (fucking hilarious musou) and only have Di Qiao. I've done a bunch of recruit allies level but only go no name people. I would like to switch characters and not just play Zhang Fei or Di Qiao all day.

Just keep running missions. You can see which officers will show up in the description of that mission, aim for the ones you want and eventually you'll get them to join.

Yeah, ambition mode I can see being a favorite long before I played it, I enjoyed the "Fame" missions, as well as owning officers into submission..I think I'll take it online..after they patch it so that it doesn't overwrite my progress! -__-

Nooooooo! Just got a mail from the shop I pre ordered that the game has been delayed a bit cause of delivery issues from the supplier (EU), so I won't get it till monday they said :( :( *cries like beaten by the mighty Lu Bu*

Umm by the way, does anyone know why we the EU PSN update today gave us all those pre order costumes for free? I thought it was a mistake or something maybe, but they didn't remove it yet so I've downloaded them all!

Man Wing Swords and Striking Sword is so much fun :)

The new weapons are definitely lots of fun and creative.

I also like the hookswords, all that camera movement.

Umm by the way, does anyone know why we the EU PSN update today gave us all those pre order costumes for free? I thought it was a mistake or something maybe, but they didn't remove it yet so I've downloaded them all!

I knew Toei Kecmo EU was better but not this better. :x

Been having trouble trying to get an answer out of anyone regarding this but here goes.

Can anyone tell me what the strategy layer is like in this game? It was largely absent in DW7 in lieu of having a more story focused approach. If I fail to achieve Huang Gai's fire attack on Chi Bi, do I lose the stage, or do I have to find a way to beat the level without the fire attack? I miss that level of flexibility.

Been having trouble trying to get an answer out of anyone regarding this but here goes.

Can anyone tell me what the strategy layer is like in this game? It was largely absent in DW7 in lieu of having a more story focused approach. If I fail to achieve Huang Gai's fire attack on Chi Bi, do I lose the stage, or do I have to find a way to beat the level without the fire attack? I miss that level of flexibility.

Can't say for Chibi, but I do believe if you fail to do certain things, you can still power through the stage.

I know I basically failed all the plans that Zhou Yu was wanting us to do in the Wu stage vs. Cao Ren and I basically just ran through and killed everything.

I also assume that you could fail to prevent the flood attack at Fan Castle and still win assuming you somehow prevent Lu Meng from killing himself.

It probably depends on what's the lose objectives are and what you have to do to fail the fire attack.

Can't say for Chibi, but I do believe if you fail to do certain things, you can still power through the stage.

I know I basically failed all the plans that Zhou Yu was wanting us to do in the Wu stage vs. Cao Ren and I basically just ran through and killed everything.

I also assume that you could fail to prevent the flood attack at Fan Castle and still win assuming you somehow prevent Lu Meng from killing himself.

It probably depends on what's the lose objectives are and what you have to do to fail the fire attack.

I just want to confirm that the structure is less rigid than 7, which in my example above, puts you in control of Huang Gai for that segment, so failing the attack is literally dying and failing the stage.

Can any character play with any weapon? whats the weapon drop system like?

as someone who has played since DW 2 and was disillusioned with the series after DW 6, i need to know! (my faves are dw4/5)

Talked to a good friend about this game and was left wondering why Koei isn't pushing Ambition mode. Like, I didn't even know about it until I heard people in here referencing it and he had no idea either. Great alternative to Story and Free modes.

Mmmmm, fame...

I just want to confirm that the structure is less rigid than 7, which in my example above, puts you in control of Huang Gai for that segment, so failing the attack is literally dying and failing the stage.

Well I think it's rigid in that certain things have to happen on the stage, like the fire attack has to go. But, you could still fail some missions on the stage and still complete it.

Can any character play with any weapon? whats the weapon drop system like?

as someone who has played since DW 2 and was disillusioned with the series after DW 6, i need to know! (my faves are dw4/5)

Yes, but each character has their own level of compatibility with each weapon type (there's a total of four).

Named officers and sometimes Unit Commanders will drop weapon boxes when defeated which will either give you a random weapon of what they use (if named and playable) or any random weapon you can use.

Well I think it's rigid in that certain things have to happen on the stage, like the fire attack has to go. But, you could still fail some missions on the stage and still complete it.

Yes, but each character has their own level of compatibility with each weapon type (there's a total of four).

Named officers and sometimes Unit Commanders will drop weapon boxes when defeated which will either give you a random weapon of what they use (if named and playable) or any random weapon you can use.

So basically it's still more like 7 and not at all like 5.

I need to rebuy 5 :/

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
So basically it's still more like 7 and not at all like 5.

I need to rebuy 5 :/

Dynasty Warriors 5....

128334629089.gif

Only issue was the camera.

Talked to a good friend about this game and was left wondering why Koei isn't pushing Ambition mode. Like, I didn't even know about it until I heard people in here referencing it and he had no idea either. Great alternative to Story and Free modes.

Mmmmm, fame...
While I was playing the earlier levels, I was thinking to myself..I sure would like a mode where the objectives were random and dynamic..then low and behold..FAME

/David Bowie

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I like in the story mode in this one they kinda underplay Lu Bu and make Guan Yu out as the uber badass.

as it should be.

this feels like a fundamentally different style of game than the ps2 era dw titles.

in this one you're a demigod with the sole purpose of racking up insane combos and ripping through thousands of grunts like butter. the older games had more of a 'soldier on the battlefield' element what with the bodyguards, clearing gates, archery, etc and each individual encounter being more meaningful overall.

They basically had to do this once Sengoku Basara came out and people started getting bored when the action wasn't CURAZHY enough in Koei's games and started switching sides

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah Basara was huge in Japan. Friend living there, when the anime was out, kept seeing ads for it everywhere.

also yeah Xu Zhu is the freaking Apprentice from Force Unleashed I swear.

Because "Devil Kings" was a macekered mess, and Crapcom didn't advertise it
I thought the original post was referring to the PS3 game.

Its fun one character through, but the overlap kills it for me, it ends up becoming shallower than DW once you realize how limited your combat options are.. character designs are awesome though.

Yeah Basara was huge in Japan. Friend living there, when the anime was out, kept seeing ads for it everywhere.

also yeah Xu Zhu is the freaking Apprentice from Force Unleashed I swear.

Speaking of which, are there any dudes in this that fight with their sword behind their back, flipping the sword for basic attacks and shit? I loved that in Soulcalibur IV (although I hated the actual character)

Basara's huge in Japan mostly due to the fujioshis.

Though, it's pretty large having an anime, a stage play, a live action TV series, a magazine and a bunch of other things. Oddly enough, it's just lacking in the bulk of games that DW has.

I do remember when getting over 1000 kills felt like a real accomplishment...I remember doing the Nanman Campain in 4 and having everyone on my side die except for me so I had to face the entire Nanman army alone...whooo...

I do remember when getting over 1000 kills felt like a real accomplishment...I remember doing the Nanman Campain in 4 and having everyone on my side die except for me so I had to face the entire Nanman army alone...whooo...

I got 4000 kills on the last stage of Jin with Yuanji and the game treats it as no big deal...o_o

I got 4000 kills on the last stage of Jin with Yuanji and the game treats it as no big deal...o_o

To level one of your skills, you need to kill officers after reaching a certain amount of KOs or more (I think 1500), so the game probably expects you to reach that high.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Despite all the improvements, NPCs being able to guard entire musous/rage musous is fucking stupid. I can't believe someone let that pass.

Speaking of which, are there any dudes in this that fight with their sword behind their back, flipping the sword for basic attacks and shit? I loved that in Soulcalibur IV (although I hated the actual character)

Xu Shu. He comes off as super gary stuish

Yawnier

Banned
Darn, when did Guan Yu's family get as big as the Sun family?

Guan Yu - Self explanatory.

Guan Ping - Oldest and adopted son of Guan Yu, died with Guan Yu at Fan Castle. Added in DW5.

Guan Xing - Second son of Guan Yu, aside from his role at Yiling in the novel he didn't do a whole lot either historically or in ROTK. Just added in DW8.

Guan Suo - Third son of Guan Yu but fictional (important point). In the novel, he helped with the southern Nanman Campaign. Added in DW7

Guan Yinping - Youngest child of Guan Yu and fictional I believe. Added in DW8.

So yeah, that is a rough summary on when Koei expanded the Guan family and some of their roles.

Yawnier

Banned
Shu doesn't really have a lot of well known characters left they can add.

Outside of Wang Ping, Ma Yunlu, Li Yan, Liao Hua, or Fei Yi maybe there really aren't that many Shu characters of major or absolutely important use left. Koei are pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel for Shu adds at this point if all the Guan kids being added are anything worth judging off of.

Top Bottom