• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

bender

What time is it?
lol its ok, I every single #'d DW game and I still got killed by Lu Bu twice today, I wasn't trying to kill him though, just trying to kill every single officer (including Diao Chan) and he just happened to 2 shot me haha. Avoid him, as in dont walk up to him until you clear all enemy generals near him then lead him to AI and run the fuck away on your horse and you should be fine

I wasn't expecting him to kill me on the first level (completely my fault). And then he trolled me the whole second level (completely Dian Weis' fault, nice job holding him off while we advance. Let's watch Lu Bu chase poor bender through a burning village).

The same thing happened to someone else here, as well.

Huh. Wonder if Rage Musous just generally make the game unstable.

Probably depends on whose rage musou.

I know Yue Ying's definitely the one to be careful with due to how she literally pulls everything with her's and doesn't let go so you end up grabbing a bunch of peons.

Are the parts between stages that explain the story supposed to be voiced? Seems like it should to me. I want dat audio DLC :x

I tried to fight Lu Bu too and said "nope" the second he hit me once and I lost half of my health lol. Good to see OP Lu Bu back.

No voiced narrator or voiced camp scenes.

I'm ok with the no narrator but disappointed with the no voiced camp scenes. Even the pre-battle talks before you head off to battle should have at least been voiced.

Setre

Started the Wei Story Mode and I'm having so much fun. I was able to beat Lu Bu
when he comes to get the Emperor
, but his attacks didn't seem as powerful so I'm guessing the game scales down his difficulty during that fight.

So far I've enjoyed playing as several of the Wei guys except Cao Cao. His fighting style just doesn't do it for me.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
No voiced narrator or voiced camp scenes.

I'm ok with the no narrator but disappointed with the no voiced camp scenes. Even the pre-battle talks before you head off to battle should have at least been voiced.

Damn, was hoping they would be voiced with the JP audio. It is pretty disappointing since 7 had both of them voiced iirc.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Finished the Wei storyline a while ago and now I'm trying to
unlock the alternate path. How do you get Guo Jia to survive at the battle of Mt. Bailang? Like I blew through the stage crazy fast with Zhang Liao but the guy still succumbs to his illness. Any ideas? Lol

Yes, Chibi does look pretty nice with all the ships on fire.

But man does it feel like I'm hitting some slowdowns even on the PS3 version with everything happening at once.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Are you freaking kidding me?

Triggered a true rage musou, got a *huge* army of enemies suffering miserably...and then the game freezes.

Fuck.
iD7RifuaYw2Y3.jpg

Now I have to worry about the game freezing up whenever I bust that particular move out? What a load of shit.

Sima You hacked. That's why he can't look you in the eye.

Sakura

I really want to buy this but unfortunately can't afford it... I'll have to keep my eye out for deals. The last mainline game I played was 6. Hopefully it's improved much since then.

Mrbob

Just got done playing for a couple hours, amazing.

There is some annoying slowdown on PS3, though. Especially in areas with particle effects like fire. Or the magician enemies which throw fire and ice at you. Game really crawls. But it makes it more cinematic, right. :)

So happy I picked this up. I haven't played a Dynasty Warriors game since 5.

Stoof

Yes, Chibi does look pretty nice with all the ships on fire.

But man does it feel like I'm hitting some slowdowns even on the PS3 version with everything happening at once.
Yeah, the only time I get slowdowns is when I'm in an area that's on fire.

SDBurton

Alright I figured out what had to be done for
Guo Jia to survive. Near the end of the battle right after you slay the second brother, the opposing faction should get reinforcements. Defeat them and make sure Guo Jia is hanging out in what used to be the enemy's base camp (same location where the reinforcements come from). Once those two requirements are met you're set.

So I managed to lose the fight in Fan Castle cause Lu Meng died so I guess that's a good place to call it a night.

Didn't help I'm not one bit used to the maps and haven't exactly figured out the difference between a gate and a cliff so I couldn't reach the floodgates in time and instead just watched Shu flood the castle killing everything. Oh well. ~_~

I do like the new weapons. They are definitely pretty fun and I like that existing weapons got some slight changes as well.

CmdBash

ps3 randomly shutdown with no warning or beeps at all last night when I was playing dw8, wonder if its my machine or the game...

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Absolutely loving this game. Wang Yi why are you so godlike!! :D

Wan yi <3
I would totally buy a Wang yi returns: dynasty warriors 8

I mean why this has her own game...
FFXIII-Lightning-render.jpg

...but not her?
2387470-wang_yi.jpg.jpeg

Her appearance, her personality, her story and her will of revenge should be good enough for a game.

EYEL1NER

Fuck! I need to play this!
Playing through Conquest Mode in 7 right now is really making me wish I had the ability to call my horse and mount it easier.

Got it at 9 pm central. just stopped playing at Last Wu battle. DW is back. Sleep now -__-

So I managed to lose the fight in Fan Castle cause Lu Meng died so I guess that's a good place to call it a night.

Didn't help I'm not one bit used to the maps and haven't exactly figured out the difference between a gate and a cliff so I couldn't reach the floodgates in time and instead just watched Shu flood the castle killing everything. Oh well. ~_~
Don't drop off the edge, there's a path south then up toward the left from where you defeat the one controlling the boulders, then you'll run into BOTH bro's, get their attention and you're golden, I failed that mission 10 times because i kept jumping down and going the wrong way. Once it floods, its terminal.

squall23

Wan yi <3

...but not her?

Her appearance, her personality, her story and her will of revenge should be good enough for a game.
It's so odd that in fiction, Ma Chao and Wang Yi's personalities are totally reversed. In reality, Wang Yi's the supposed moral kind person while Ma Chao is extremely strong, traitorous and prone to anger.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I appreciate the ability to change it up, but I've pretty much been exclusively using 'favorite' weapon for each officer and not changing. Anything else feels wrong.

Is the JP voice dlc up yet?

squall23

I appreciate the ability to change it up, but I've pretty much been exclusively using 'favorite' weapon for each officer and not changing. Anything else feels wrong.

Is the JP voice dlc up yet?
Doesn't seem like it. Wouldn't we have to wait until the PSN store updates later in the day? I'm not fully sure how this works. Then again, it is kind of early in the morning.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK this game is some good shit. They really ramped up the style/animations and made everyone flashier and more fun to use. The engine appears to be built on what was used in DW7, but the game plays so much more smoothly and there's tons and tons of enemies on screen coming at you now. I also like that there's way more enemy officers/generals coming at you instead of too many generic grunts. Level design is better too.

I can see why people say this is the best Dynasty Warriors since DW3. They nailed it with this one.

First Dynasty Warriors game I've really enjoyed this much since DW5. I think I may like this game more than Koei's other 2013 musou release, One Piece Kaizoku Musou 2 (which I'd recommend to anyone who like musou games, whether you like One Piece or not. It's much-improved over the original game), although my favorite this year will undoubtedly end up being Musou Orochi Hyper.

SDBurton

Wan yi <3

...but not her?

I would totally be down for that. :D

this feels like a fundamentally different style of game than the ps2 era dw titles.

in this one you're a demigod with the sole purpose of racking up insane combos and ripping through thousands of grunts like butter. the older games had more of a 'soldier on the battlefield' element what with the bodyguards, clearing gates, archery, etc and each individual encounter being more meaningful overall.

this feels like a fundamentally different style of game than the ps2 era dw titles.

in this one you're a demigod with the sole purpose of racking up insane combos and ripping through thousands of grunts like butter. the older games had more of a 'soldier on the battlefield' element what with the bodyguards, clearing gates, archery, etc and each individual encounter being more meaningful overall.

I think by the end of the PS2 era DW games that kinda became the case

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

Dang, that's what I was worried about, and generally my problem with the games since 5.

Ah well, I suppose I'll enjoy it for what it is...

Takuya

Banned
Ugh, I HATE how when you join someone else's Ambition in online co-op it doesn't keep your stats unless you saved prior to that, I lost like 9 levels and had to redo it all.

Jin

How do you recruit more playable officers in Ambition mode? I started the game with Zhang Fei (fucking hilarious musou) and only have Di Qiao. I've done a bunch of recruit allies level but only go no name people. I would like to switch characters and not just play Zhang Fei or Di Qiao all day.

Got it at 9 pm central. just stopped playing at Last Wu battle. DW is back. Sleep now -__-

Don't drop off the edge, there's a path south then up toward the left from where you defeat the one controlling the boulders, then you'll run into BOTH bro's, get their attention and you're golden, I failed that mission 10 times because i kept jumping down and going the wrong way. Once it floods, its terminal.

Ah yeah, makes sense. I definitely have to get used to these new maps especially now they are so amazingly BIG and LARGE.

According to europe branch thats when the dlc codes and everything will be available.

That might just be for the EU since their game is released then and you really can't redeem DLC codes without the game coming out first. The Gamestop preorder DLC is redeemable right now which leads me to believe we probably won't see anything till next Tuesday hopefully.

How do you recruit more playable officers in Ambition mode? I started the game with Zhang Fei (fucking hilarious musou) and only have Di Qiao. I've done a bunch of recruit allies level but only go no name people. I would like to switch characters and not just play Zhang Fei or Di Qiao all day.

I believe you gotta keep going at it. It's completely random I heard on who you recruit.

Top Bottom