• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Feels weird but cool rescuing Pang De as Xiahou Yuan in the Battle of Fan Castle.

Gonna have to go back through the Wei story mode and do all of the special objectives.

TreIII

They basically had to do this once Sengoku Basara came out and people started getting bored when the action wasn't CURAZHY enough in Koei's games and started switching sides

I love DW games to death, but I really like the DMC like gameplay of the Basara games more to be honest.

Yep.Which is all the more reason I'm looking forward to seeing what Sengoku Musou 4 might look like. SM3 didn't do anything for me. So seeing if Koei actually took all that extra time to finally have a game that might push some boundaries in the gameplay area and make this a real "fight" between the two Sengoku slashers again? That is something that I'm hoping for. Especially since they stand to be released around the same time, and competition would only make it so neither Capcom or Koei could afford to be lazy.

...Of course, the other part of me is keeping my expectations low, because the likelihood of Omega Force being that ambitious is always in doubt. Thanks in part, to DW6 being a humbling experience for them.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
having spent the prior weekend messing around with a fresh save in dw3, 4, and 5 i can most certainly say that starting off you can get your ass kicked by even regular grunts if you're too overzealous. part of the thrill in those games was building up your guy by getting the better weapons and items to eventually become a walking death machine. this game just gives you that ability from the start which is lame.

i find that dw8 kind of lobotomizes an already pretty simplistic combat system

Didn't grunts actually block in Dynasty Warriors 4?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Currently at work and having that DW itch. Currently on the hypothetical path for Wu right now and having a blast. I would like to complete story mode for each kingdom by you guys are hyping up that ambition mode!

Yep.Which is all the more reason I'm looking forward to seeing what Sengoku Musou 4 might look like. SM3 didn't do anything for me. So seeing if Koei actually took all that extra time to finally have a game that might push some boundaries in the gameplay area and make this a real "fight" between the two Sengoku slashers again? That is something that I'm hoping for. Especially since they stand to be released around the same time, and competition would only make it so neither Capcom or Koei could afford to be lazy.

...Of course, the other part of me is keeping my expectations low, because the likelihood of Omega Force being that ambitious is always in doubt. Thanks in part, to DW6 being a humbling experience for them.

At the very least, I do hope they revamp the movesets for the characters. All of them. They don't have to switch it to DW's system of EX moves and what not, but the SW characters moveset definitely need an update by now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Omega director said a while ago that he always wanted to try to make an open world Dynasty Warriors.

I just wish they could try a third 'different' entry in the series. You can tell they're running out of ideas for Dynasty Warriors. They've got Samurai. Maybe Omega could give their own try for Warriors of Troy. Achilles played awesomely in Orochi.

Also they REALLY shove Sima Zhao in your face during the Jin campaign. More than any other leader.

Hystzen

Just do another Kessen or do something crazy like Bladestorm and improve on it

I look forward to what they do with SW but not expecting a major change

TreIII

At the very least, I do hope they revamp the movesets for the characters. All of them. They don't have to switch it to DW's system of EX moves and what not, but the SW characters moveset definitely need an update by now.

I honestly hope that they stay as far away from DW as possible when it comes to gameplay ideas. Weapon Switch and EX Moves work fine in DW, but it would just "cheapen" SW if they basically did the same thing. It'd be a disappointing to wait this long, just for more of what DW7/8 did already.

Again, Koinuma (who just recently got promoted) and his team won't have a better opportunity to push the limits of what a Musou game could be than with SM4. And I'd be a bit disappointed if they did any less.

Dragonzord said:
I just wish they could try a third 'different' entry in the series. You can tell they're running out of ideas for Dynasty Warriors. They've got Samurai. Maybe Omega could give their own try for Warriors of Troy. Achilles played awesomely in Orochi.
Well, there's always been the "Franchise" Musou games. I've pretty much always enjoyed the Gundam games, and the first Hokuto Musou game, because they actually did try experimenting with the Musou formula in interesting ways. Hokuto Musou especially stands out to me, due to how they incorporated such things like wall combos, environmental interaction and actually making every character truly feel unique, and not just "I'm still pressing Square-Square-Square....-Triangle and just getting a different result with this character as opposed to this other one".

(Of course, afterward, the One Piece games and Shin Hokuto Musou simplified things too much for my liking, that I didn't get any enjoyment out of them, combat-wise.)

And then of course, there's always Strikeforce/Multi-Raid, but the producer behind that game said that a new game for that sub-series likely won't come around until they're done with everything relating to Toukiden.

Mrbob

Plowing through the Wu campaign currently, I'm falling more in love every hour I play it. I haven't played Dynasty Warriors since DW5 on PS2. I skipped DW6 because Omega Force got rid of the chakrams for my favorite character Sun Shangxiang. Didn't hear great things about 7 either so I skipped it. I haven't stayed away from musou, been playing the Warriors Orochi games in the mean time. The fan service in WO3 is amazing( I love playing as my guy Ryu Hayabusa ), but mechanically I have to say DW8 is the best by far. The weapon switching( which I hear was in 7? ), individual attacks for each weapon, the mission layouts, heck, even the way the story is told in DW8 is great.

My plan is to play through mode one time with each faction before moving onto Ambition Mode. Is there a good plan or should I hop into Ambition mode right after I finish the Wu campaign?

Hi MusouGAF! I'm on the fence about whether I need another Musou game (I have (DWG2 & 3,FotNS1 & 2,WO3 and Strikeforce) or not. I was hoping someone here could answer a question about the gameplay of DW8.

Does the game have "tactical" gameplay, are the stages/missions engaging apart from killing everything?
I'll try to explain what I'm looking for.

DW Gundam 2 is the one I liked best in this regard. It feels like what I'm doing has an effect on the battle on the bigger scale: Which order do I kill the officers in? Should I stay and fight this guy, or am I needed somewhere else on the battlefield? Should I complete the objective as fast as possible, or do I stop and conquer fields to stop reinforcements, or do I run back to help my ally who is in trouble and could help me further up if I free him/her up by killing the fodder? Also the missions have various special objectives that keep popping up. This is what keeps the game fun for me and not just zerging down 1000's of troops over and over.

DWG3 kind of has it, but it's a bit samey since the stages are so similar (a bunch of boxes and corridors), and it's always the same tactics (rush down the missile base first, then the repair center, then mop up).

WO3 is great but I don't really feel the "tide of battle" in that way. It feels like in most missions I just rush across the battlefield and kill the officers as fast as possible.
Hope this made some sense.

TreIII

Still don't understand why they couldn't just give the PS3 version the JP voices on disc, and let the 360 version have the option to download free DLC.

Somehow, I really doubt that parity relating to dual voice tracks is something that MS would worry about but so much...

ZhugeEX

Banned
Still don't understand why they couldn't just give the PS3 version the JP voices on disc, and let the 360 version have the option to download free DLC.

Somehow, I really doubt that parity relating to dual voice tracks is something that MS would worry about but so much...

Isn't there a policy that on disc content has to match on both PS3 and 360 for Microsoft to allow a release.

Hi MusouGAF! I'm on the fence about whether I need another Musou game (I have (DWG2 & 3,FotNS1 & 2,WO3 and Strikeforce) or not. I was hoping someone here could answer a question about the gameplay of DW8.

Does the game have "tactical" gameplay, are the stages/missions engaging apart from killing everything?
I'll try to explain what I'm looking for.

DW Gundam 2 is the one I liked best in this regard. It feels like what I'm doing has an effect on the battle on the bigger scale: Which order do I kill the officers in? Should I stay and fight this guy, or am I needed somewhere else on the battlefield? Should I complete the objective as fast as possible, or do I stop and conquer fields to stop reinforcements, or do I run back to help my ally who is in trouble and could help me further up if I free him/her up by killing the fodder? Also the missions have various special objectives that keep popping up. This is what keeps the game fun for me and not just zerging down 1000's of troops over and over.

DWG3 kind of has it, but it's a bit samey since the stages are so similar (a bunch of boxes and corridors), and it's always the same tactics (rush down the missile base first, then the repair center, then mop up).

WO3 is great but I don't really feel the "tide of battle" in that way. It feels like in most missions I just rush across the battlefield and kill the officers as fast as possible.
Hope this made some sense.

DUDE.. This is for you.. I was SOOO disappointed with DW3, bought it and returned it twice.. massive misstep.. With DW8 tactics and strategy is the name of the game, each kingdoms strategist gives you commands, ignore them and you may fail the mission. There are even alternative missions you can unlock by taking certain actions during some missions.. From one DW2 fan to another.. cop it.

I wish these games would come to the PC.

Not sure whether to grab this or wait for the super duper edition given I still haven't beat WO3 and am not waiting for that game's super duper edition :D

squall23

I'm a little disappointed there's no narration in-between stages. I really loved that in DW7.
There is in the Japanese version, so hopefully the Japanese voice DLC gives us that.
I wish these games would come to the PC.

Not sure whether to grab this or wait for the super duper edition given I still haven't beat WO3 and am not waiting for that game's super duper edition :D
There usually are PC ports for DW down the line. They're just really low profile releases.

Sakura

I've been playing Ambition Mode for a few hours, haven't touched story mode yet, but it's really annoying how the animal, specifically the wolf at least, is unmoveable. During a musou if I am in his way he will just push me around, and if I am trying to run at a guy, and the wolf is standing in the way, I cannot go through him or push him, my guy just stops and I have to go around him. Wish they would fix that.

I've been playing Ambition Mode for a few hours, haven't touched story mode yet, but it's really annoying how the animal, specifically the wolf at least, is unmoveable. During a musou if I am in his way he will just push me around, and if I am trying to run at a guy, and the wolf is standing in the way, I cannot go through him or push him, my guy just stops and I have to go around him. Wish they would fix that.

I'm running with the wolf too, but he never gets in my way.. didn't know he could stop me..The bear is beyond worthless, I have to hop off just to break pots or boxes.. STUPID BEAR.-__-

LAMBO

WTF there are PC ports of Dynasty Warriors games?!?!?! WTF WTF WTF, buying now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I compare Ambition mode to Extreme mode from DW5XL I still have to put Extreme mode ahead.

Extreme mode just had more variety in the missions, having to divide your gold between hp/stat boost/getting troops and hiring officers added an interesting element to the progression of the mode overall. Also trying to keep your team of officers alive was important too since once they died that was it. Also they were really useful as they actually attacked things and backed you up. The constant threat of permadeath also kept things tense and you couldn't afford to mess up.

You do get that tenseness with the consecutive battles of Ambition mode but only once you've built up a good streak that you don't want to lose. Being restricted to 4 mission types also kind of blows when you compare it to Extreme mode. Also, I can't get over how useless the bodyguards are. Just now I watched Xu Shu circle some grunt for about 20 seconds before he decided to smack him once with his sword. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a bodyguard when they basically do nothing useful (partner musou's aren't enough). Also your random officers during duels die like flies which is another gripe.

I'm sure some people could care less about the AI issues since they only focus on what they're doing. But I personally like it in games where allied AI involvement is actually meaningful. I mean it means more to me when my allied officers are actually actively attacking and being useful since it feels like I'm not the only one contributing to the battle and it ups the bro factor. I don't think it's too much to ask for useful allies. It's not like they would take the spotlight away from you if they were useful either.

I can't count the number of times I've been running with a group of allied officers towards an objective thinking "this is so cool" then remembering they most likely won't do much once we actually get to the fight. I'm not asking for them to now 2 shot people and take all your kills, just for some actual participation beyond the little they do now. I think (at least for me) that would do more to make them see more like comrades in arms since I assume that was the original intent.

I understand other people might not be able to sympathize with my complaints since they might consider allied AI to be a non-issue. Maybe it will be better in DW8: Empires (assuming they decide to make one which I hope is the case).

In other news I've finished all of Shu's story mode battles including the hypothetical route. The only thing I need to do is redo the last stage on the main route because I still need that last star. Other than the issues I've listed before this is probably the best DW game yet.

mr.rager

Wasn't Ma Yunlu also a made up character by Koei for their Romance of Three Kingdom series as well?

Speaking of which how I wish they'll release those games digitally as well =/ the last one localised was 11 wasn't it =/?

Yup, Ma Yunlu was made for the RotK series. Still find it kind of odd that they haven't added a wife for Zhao Yun or at least one his sons considering his popularity. Instead they added not one but three fictional characters to the Guan family.

Kinda wished that in story mode when you choose a character you haven't used before, you could buy their EX weapon from the weapon store at camp, since it looks like you need to play a stage first before you can do so. ~_~

Also highly amused at how Li Dian keeps saying mushy stuff during battle.

Haha Lu Bu killed me in second stage of Shu, kind of ruined my 20 mins of progress.

I just ran the fuck away from him. Luckily, character progression does seem to be much faster in this game. Part of the problem with previous games was that it was such a downer starting a fresh Lv.1 character because they all did shit damage at that point.

Who has two thumbs and isn't getting all of the trophies in DW8?
iEwEwnqaqE0yA.jpg

Yeah I'm not getting them all either. There's not enough time in the world.
I mean seriously..listening to all the voice lines? That's going to require an absurd amount of work.

I did a bunch of Ambition mode grinding first so whenever I want I can buy a bunch of 4 star weapons for someone and/or raise their level to 99.

zroid

Banned
Never actually bought a DW game before, although have played them a bunch at friends' places and such. Actually pretty tempted here with all the good reviews. Plus I was just playing some DW Gundam 3 and One Piece Pirate Warriors 2, and kinda have that itch for a good hack n slash.

Sylent01

Hhnnnngg... you all are going to make me go out and drop $60 on this when I swore Empires would be the last DW for this gen...

this game is broken as fuck at times. playing online messes up your saves.. ive already lost my ambition mode save. when will a patch come?

It's kind of funny looking at Dynasty Warrior 7 videos now. The enemy count seems really small compared to what you regularly get in 8.

Also, 8 definitely has the best OST. And I've only used Shu characters/story mode so far so there's a bunch I haven't even heard yet.

Top Bottom