• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm so happy that the Shu storyline ends at Wuzhang in this, because everything after that is so depressing for Shu bias guys like me. DW7 made me fucking hate Liu Shan and Jiang Wei's guts.

LOL, this is actually the first time I've ever played through the Shu storyline (Always been more into the other Koei musou games and didn't spend much time with DW6 and DW7) and I can't believe how depressing the normal path has been. I hate Wu and Wei so much now, haha.

Almost done with Shu, then I'm not sure if I want to go back and get the hypothetical stages or complete all the factions' regular stories first.

And there's still Ambition mode after all that! This game is so damn good!

Yep I got a official message

"We have received your feedback regarding the slowdown issues for DYNASTY WARRIORS 8 (Xbox 360 version). We confirm that our development team is currently working on the patch and the patch will be released as soon as possible. We will announce the submission date as well as the release date on all our social network channels. Sorry for the inconvenience. "

So there we go! Good to hear!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If you unlock characters in Ambition, do they show up in free play? I know it works the other way around for choosing your first officer.

I haven't touched ambition mode at all yet.

LOL, this is actually the first time I've ever played through the Shu storyline (Always been more into the other Koei musou games and didn't spend much time with DW6 and DW7) and I can't believe how depressing the normal path has been. I hate Wu and Wei so much now, haha.

Almost done with Shu, then I'm not sure if I want to go back and get the hypothetical stages or complete all the factions' regular stories first.

And there's still Ambition mode after all that! This game is so damn good!

Remember, in the eyes of ROTK, Shu are the "good guys" so you gotta be sympathetic! :D

I'm probably going through all the regular stories first, then going back for the stars, then going into ambition mode.

Normal or Hard. So far I found normal to be doable with fresh characters and still have a bit of a challenge when facing officers. Hard is probably ok too but you might end up taking too much damage and not dishing out enough since everyone guards against everything in this game.

I believe 20 is the max.

Normal has been stupidly easy after the first scenario or two, so I think the next story mode I go through I'm doing Hard. Also good to know about the skills, I didn't know if I would be able to reasonably skill everything up if the ceiling was too high, but 20 isn't too bad at all.

If you unlock characters in Ambition, do they show up in free play? I know it works the other way around for choosing your first officer.

I haven't touched ambition mode at all yet.

Nope but if you unlock them in Story you'll unlock them in Free and Ambition mode (and they keep their lvls)

Normal has been stupidly easy after the first scenario or two, so I think the next story mode I go through I'm doing Hard. Also good to know about the skills, I didn't know if I would be able to reasonably skill everything up if the ceiling was too high, but 20 isn't too bad at all.

I found most skills pretty easy to get if you are just going through it normally and using all the tools you have.

The ones I think would be harder to get normally would be:
- Kill 1500 enemies first before officers
- Kill officers on a horse
- Kill officers while at red health

Maybe the kill with a switch attack since that's kinda uncommon as well.

Can anyone confirm offline co-op? I've searched the interwebs and it seems to be there, but I haven't heard much about it. If it's there, is it good?

I found most skills pretty easy to get if you are just going through it normally and using all the tools you have.

Yeah, the "kill 3 officers with a switch counter" trophy sounds a little daunting to me. I figure I'll max a character out and then play through a level on easy to nab it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I thought this was pretty apt
tumblr_mq7ckmla511sailrzo1_400.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare

The switch attack one is easy as long as you remember to make it your final attack when your enemy only has a sliver of life left. Now the switch counters, those are really frustrating. The "kill an officer afflicted with a status ailment" one is hard too, but only because I haven't gotten any weapons with high-level ice abilities yet. I might just cheese those on easy mode.

Still, is there a random element to upgrading skills? I've killed a ton of officers on horeseback but I'm still at Equestrian 2.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
can someone help me with getting these questions answered please

1. in story mode is it possible to upgrade your weapons (combine them to keep stats onto another)
  2. regarding the first question, if you have to go into ambition mode to merge weapons together does that mean i have to play with every char to certain point in this mode to do this ?
  3. do all your weapons, chars and skills carry over to ambition mode ?

thank goodness I'm the only one who doesn't want to play as Xing Cai now...we could have gone without that Koei...well at least you've given me Ma Xhu...he's pretty darn cool

The switch attack one is easy as long as you remember to make it your final attack when your enemy only has a sliver of life left. Now the switch counters, those are really frustrating. The "kill an officer afflicted with a status ailment" one is hard too, but only because I haven't gotten any weapons with high-level ice abilities yet. I might just cheese those on easy mode.

Still, is there a random element to upgrading skills? I've killed a ton of officers on horeseback but I'm still at Equestrian 2.

Well there are some EX moves that have built in elements as well so you could abuse them.

From what I hear, the higher the difficulty, the more likely your skills will level up.

can someone help me with getting these questions answered please

1. in story mode is it possible to upgrade your weapons (combine them to keep stats onto another)
  2. regarding the first question, if you have to go into ambition mode to merge weapons together does that mean i have to play with every char to certain point in this mode to do this ?
  3. do all your weapons, chars and skills carry over to ambition mode ?

No weapon upgrading in story mode. The best you can do is hope for good drops or buy them from latter story mode missions when they sell better weapons.

You only need to upgrade the weapon shop first before being able to fuse weapons.

Yes, weapons, character levels and skills carry over between the two modes. You just need to unlock characters in both modes (besides when you first start in ambition mode where you can choose who to start with out of any character you already unlocked in story mode).

fwa80q0.png

from that same page. all slowdown confirmed to be bullet time haha

but yeah, the saving is broken as hell. it makes me want to avoid playing the game online until it's patched, I don't want to lose my save again.. apparently the only way you won't lose your save online is if you choose "recruit" and your friend hits "join" as if they were random games. iunno...

Sora_N

fwa80q0.png

from that same page. all slowdown confirmed to be bullet time haha

but yeah, the saving is broken as hell. it makes me want to avoid playing the game online until it's patched, I don't want to lose my save again.. apparently the only way you won't lose your save online is if you choose "recruit" and your friend hits "join" as if they were random games. iunno...

Is the saving problem only if you play online?

Sora_N

Welcome back to the Dynasty Warriors series!

I just ran the fuck away from him. Luckily, character progression does seem to be much faster in this game. Part of the problem with previous games was that it was such a downer starting a fresh Lv.1 character because they all did shit damage at that point.

I refused to give up. I tried again before I went to sleep and although storm rush and some patience helps me attack him, if he gets a hit into my Guan Yu I pretty much get wasted.

Tonight when I finish class I'm just gonna run away haha...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Some places say you just have to do 30 ambition matches to get a new horse.

Others say you have to do them consecutively. I'm confused.

Koei, please give me back SSX's movelist from Dynasty Warriors 4 back...I swear she was at her best there...even her Musou was super useful too...her current one is just no good.

Waiting for my bro to bring over the PS3 tomorrow T-T

So where is this game on the scale, with Warriors Orochi 3, Dynasty Warriors 7, Empires 7 and this game? (Maybe Pirate Warriors as well)

cremebox

Neo Member
I never played as Yueying before, but I think I'm in love with this character. Her musou attacks are either an airstrike, or she summons little tanks to blow shit up.

Is the saving problem only if you play online?

I believe so. I found a post on gamefaqs that explains the problem:

Game bug

When you get invited to an online game the game fails to auto load your save file.
If you have not gone and started a new online game you still have your data. You just have to manually load it.
If you played online again after having save data then it wrote over your old game data.

The only way to continue playing online without losing save data (until a patch) is to have you or your friend go to whatever mode online and recruit. Once they start a game and are doing recruit you can go to online for that same map and do join.

There is a chance that you may join someone else's game if multiple people are trying to recruit on the same map at the same difficulty but if you're talking over headset you should be able to time it right and get in with your friends game.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Are movesets for characters' non-EX weapons the same as they were in DW7?

Well there are some EX moves that have built in elements as well so you could abuse them.

From what I hear, the higher the difficulty, the more likely your skills will level up.

Yeah, I know that I was using a character with an ice EX which is how I actually got two points in that skill already. If difficulty matters, I'll just mop up with Yellow Turbans on hard/chaos. I can't imagine that I won't have everything at least to 10 (except Fortune Hunter) after I've done all of the story modes and hypothetical branches.

Some places say you just have to do 30 ambition matches to get a new horse.

Others say you have to do them consecutively. I'm confused.

I believe this depends on which horse you are trying to get. I think both ways nets you a different horse.

Waiting for my bro to bring over the PS3 tomorrow T-T

So where is this game on the scale, with Warriors Orochi 3, Dynasty Warriors 7, Empires 7 and this game? (Maybe Pirate Warriors as well)

I haven't played enough of this to give it a completely fair ranking but so far:

DW8 = WO3 > DW7E > DW7

Are movesets for characters' non-EX weapons the same as they were in DW7?

For the old weapons? About the same, but there are small changes here and there. Like the Shaman Rod's C6 is now its C5 and it gained a new C6. There are also effect and power changes here and there.

I found it pretty fun to discover what's new for each weapon's moveset.

Anyone else run into the bug that has the bottoms of your feet rising up to the point of your knees, which then go inside your character's chest?

Happened a couple of times last night while playing as Zhou Tai. Noticed his running animation was goofy, stopped, then rotated the camera to see his torso and arms in the same place, but his knees were drawn up into his chest like he was squatting. You can jump right out of it, no biggie, but it happened a couple of times on different maps so I don't really know how to recreate it.

Anywho, game still rules. :D

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Works great on PS3, 360 is majorly suffering right now. Koei has said a patch is in the works.

Do the battle messages still cover 2nd player's screen? That put off many of my friends from enjoying Warriors Orochi 3...

ZhugeEX

Banned
I was playing dw next last week and it was in that so I was hoping it was in this game too

True, but next isn't a main game in the series. It's more of a spin off.

I think the map was also in another XL game as well but last main game it was in was 4.

I would like to see the map as it's Zhuge Liangs first battle and a good setup for his character.

MrDaravon

This game is pretty amazing. I've pretty much 100%'d every mainline entry since 3, but I always skip XL/Empires for whatever reason. Few quick questions, I could either just be not remembering this stuff or it's maybe new; I'm renting the game right now so I don't have the manual.

-What is the Dash/Dive/Shadow/Sprint/Whirlwind Compatibility every character has? Are these skill types or something?

-Related, how do you get Compatibility raised with weapons in this one? I'm guessing that the black/empty stars you can fill up to raise to that level (aka you can't get every weapon to 4 stars), but is Compatibility just raised by using that type of weapon?

-I can't find out exactly what the Health Springs skill does; it says adds a bonus to your health gauge recovery, but as far as I can tell it's not giving me life on hit or health regen, does that just means that recovery items give me more health back? The +xxx numbers on those items hasn't increased, but maybe it just doesn't show that there?

-Blacksmithing/forging is in this right? When does it unlock? I'm only just a ways into the Shu campaign, the blacksmith is in camp but he only has the buy/sell options.

This game is pretty amazing. I've pretty much 100%'d every mainline entry since 3, but I always skip XL/Empires for whatever reason. Few quick questions, I could either just be not remembering this stuff or it's maybe new; I'm renting the game right now so I don't have the manual.

-What is the Dash/Dive/Shadow/Sprint/Whirlwind Compatibility every character has? Are these skill types or something?

-Related, how do you get Compatibility raised with weapons in this one? I'm guessing that the black/empty stars you can fill up to raise to that level (aka you can't get every weapon to 4 stars), but is Compatibility just raised by using that type of weapon?

-I can't find out exactly what the Health Springs skill does; it says adds a bonus to your health gauge recovery, but as far as I can tell it's not giving me life on hit or health regen, does that just means that recovery items give me more health back? The +xxx numbers on those items hasn't increased, but maybe it just doesn't show that there?

-Blacksmithing/forging is in this right? When does it unlock? I'm only just a ways into the Shu campaign, the blacksmith is in camp but he only has the buy/sell options.

They determine what type of weapon your character is good at using. The more stars a character has, the higher attack boost they'll get from equipping the weapon. At four stars, they are able to do the special move that's related to the type.

Dash: Double Jump
Dive: Dive backwards when knocked into the air
Shadow Sprint: Can dash forward after a charge attack
Whirlwind: Unleash wind around the character with each attack

Compatibility raises by leveling up the character. Each character has only one type they can hit four stars with. I think they can get up to two stars in two others and only one star in the final type. You can equip skills that are learned by raising every character of a skill type to level 50 or so to have an instant four stat in that type.

I think Health Springs is related to the amount of health you recover from items, weapon skills and moves. I would imagine the higher level the skill, the more of a recovery you'll see.

Forging is in this game but it is only in Ambition mode after raising the level of the weapon show there. Weapons do carry over between story/free and ambition mode though.

Do you guys think picking up DW7: Empires would be worth it right now?

After watching some videos it seems like it has more planning and strategy which is something I think would be a great compliment to DW's hack and slash action. At first I was just going to wait and see if they come out with a DW8: Empires but if I can find DW7:E for cheap I'm wondering if it will be worth it even after playing 8.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
could anyone tell me what the weapons with gold stars are ?and how do you get them

squall23

Do you guys think picking up DW7: Empires would be worth it right now?

After watching some videos it seems like it has more planning and strategy which is something I think would be a great compliment to DW's hack and slash action. At first I was just going to wait and see if they come out with a DW8: Empires but if I can find DW7:E for cheap I'm wondering if it will be worth it even after playing 8.
Man, I loved Empires 7. In fact, I wouldn't mind if Empires 8 was just Empires 7 with DW8's combat mechanics.

MrDaravon

They determine what type of weapon your character is good at using. The more stars a character has, the higher attack boost they'll get from equipping the weapon. At four stars, they are able to do the special move that's related to the type.

Dash: Double Jump
Dive: Dive backwards when knocked into the air
Shadow Sprint: Can dash forward after a charge attack
Whirlwind: Unleash wind around the character with each attack

Compatibility raises by leveling up the character. Each character has only one type they can hit four stars with. I think they can get up to two stars in two others and only one star in the final type. You can equip skills that are learned by raising every character of a skill type to level 50 or so to have an instant four stat in that type.

I think Health Springs is related to the amount of health you recover from items, weapon skills and moves. I would imagine the higher level the skill, the more of a recovery you'll see.

Forging is in this game but it is only in Ambition mode after raising the level of the weapon show there. Weapons do carry over between story/free and ambition mode though.

Ohhhhhh, so when I'm going to choose what weapon type to equip on a character those star ratings directly correlate to the Dash/Dive/SS/Whirlwind skills? That makes sense, I hadn't put those two things together, derp.

I was only curious about forging because I don't really want to sell weapons because my experience with WO3 taught me the importance of forging weapons for skill purposes; but that game also (at least IIRC) had a limit on the number of weapons you could hold, I seem to remember having to sell or forge crap weapons for slots. At least so far in story mode I haven't hit a limit, we'll see. If nothing else I can just hop over to ambition mode and get that far if I need to or something.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Trying to do switch counters is driving me nuts. That is all. Urgh.

If would be way easier if you could strafe officers while guarding. If there's one thing that I'd like to see implemented in future Musou battle systems, it would be that.

could anyone tell me what the weapons with gold stars are ?and how do you get them

Besides I believe the 5th weapon, completely random. They are just better versions of whatever number star weapons with built in weapon skills. So some could be great but considering how rare to actually get them, it might not be worth the time.

Ohhhhhh, so when I'm going to choose what weapon type to equip on a character those star ratings directly correlate to the Dash/Dive/SS/Whirlwind skills? That makes sense, I hadn't put those two things together, derp.

I was only curious about forging because I don't really want to sell weapons because my experience with WO3 taught me the importance of forging weapons for skill purposes; but that game also (at least IIRC) had a limit on the number of weapons you could hold, I seem to remember having to sell or forge crap weapons for slots. At least so far in story mode I haven't hit a limit, we'll see. If nothing else I can just hop over to ambition mode and get that far if I need to or something.

I have found you get a lot of weapons from a stage since almost every named officer drops one as well as unit commanders have a good chance to do so too. So far I just been selling my weak weapons since I won't be using them.

Trying to do switch counters is driving me nuts. That is all. Urgh.

I found not using a charge attack and keeping a hand on R1 works well. They are pretty flexible on when you press it assuming the enemy isn't going to storm rush you.

I don't really get weapon reforging. Is what weapons and abilities you'll get really just as random as it seems?

I believe this is the method now, but I haven't ventured into ambition mode to actually test it out:

Here is how the weapon tempering works:

1. The base weapon(first weapon selected) will keep it's rank and affinity. So a 4 circle Heaven weapon will also stay 4 circle and be Heaven type as long as it is the first weapon selected.

2. The base weapon has a chance when tempering for the base damage on the weapon to go up. Each rank has a damage range.

3. The attributes from the base weapon will always stay on the weapon. So if you have Cyclone, Jubilation and Induction, the weapon will be guaranteed to keep those 3 attributes.

4. A weapon can only have 6 different attributes on it. So if the base weapon has 4 different attributes and the second weapon has 3 different than the ones on the base, the new weapon will keep the original 4 and randomly take 2 of the 3 from the second.

5. Once a weapon is filled with 6 attributes, further tempering can be done to raise the level of the attributes on the base. So if you have Cyclone 5, Induction 8, Jubilation 1, Velocity 7, Slash 6 and Flash 5, you can keep tempering until you get those all to max level 10.

6. When tempering 2 weapons that have the same attribute, they will always combine level up to level 10. So a weapon with Cyclone 5 and the other with Cyclone 3 will give you Cyclone 8.

These are the main things to know about the tempering. The best way to make weapons is to wait until you have a base weapon with 1 or 2 attributes you want then add weapons with 1 or 2 other attributes you want until you can make it with 6 you want. Patience and finding a good base are the hardest parts.

Top Bottom