• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

It's silly how a bunch of the new weapons (Swallow Swords, Hookswords, Wing Blades) just makes your camera go absolutely crazy since you are flying around everywhere.

It's silly how a bunch of the new weapons (Swallow Swords, Hookswords, Wing Blades) just makes your camera go absolutely crazy since you are flying around everywhere.

And besides the swallow sword (can never aim any of its charged attacks) they're super fun to use, even if you have no idea if youre still hitting your target :p

And besides the swallow sword (can never aim any of its charged attacks) they're super fun to use, even if you have no idea if youre still hitting your target :p

Haha, true. It is fun to see you just fly all over the place and the camera keep up.

New Hefei Castle was pretty cool. Was pretty nice to see it so layered even if it was kinda hard to go through it.

So I guess I got through Wu's normal end. (Almost) everyone died when they were supposed to. Pretty fun with the different character choices where I could almost use someone new every stage. I guess I'll go with Shu next.

Haha, true. It is fun to see you just fly all over the place and the camera keep up.

New Hefei Castle was pretty cool. Was pretty nice to see it so layered even if it was kinda hard to go through it.

So I guess I got through Wu's normal end. (Almost) everyone died when they were supposed to. Pretty fun with the different character choices where I could almost use someone new every stage. I guess I'll go with Shu next.
I started with Wu too, and am on the Shu path as well..been doing ambition mode and unlocked weapon tempering. Combine two weapons? And weapon skills carry over? Yes please.

I started with Wu too, and am on the Shu path as well..been doing ambition mode and unlocked weapon tempering. Combine two weapons? And weapon skills carry over? Yes please.

Wait what's tempering and combining weapons?! I finished Shu story and started Wei, been selling all my old weapons to the merchant to keep the lists low (hate seeing the "new" symbol)...crap I hope I didn't screw myself over :/

Wait what's tempering and combining weapons?! I finished Shu story and started Wei, been selling all my old weapons to the merchant to keep the lists low (hate seeing the "new" symbol)...crap I hope I didn't screw myself over :/
Ambition mode is where its at, you have to level up the blacksmith to 30 I think to inlock tempering, reforging just creates 2 random low level weapons from 3, tempering let's you combine 2 weapons to make one, its so good.. Zhou Tai is killing everything, 2 curved swords with the works as far as gauge filling and status effects!

Ambition mode is where its at, you have to level up the blacksmith to 30 I think to inlock tempering, reforging just creates 2 random low level weapons from 3, tempering let's you combine 2 weapons to make one, its so good.. Zhou Tai is killing everything, 2 curved swords with the works as far as gauge filling and status effects!
Ah ok, yeah it seemed like clearing Shu gave me access to most Shu chars (missing Bao and Guan Ping I think). Can you unlock characters in Ambition or do I have to do all the stories first?

Ah ok, yeah it seemed like clearing Shu gave me access to most Shu chars (missing Bao and Guan Ping I think). Can you unlock characters in Ambition or do I have to do all the stories first?

You have to unlock characters in Story/Free Mode and Ambition Mode separately. They don't cross over unfortunately.

I think characters unlocked in ambition mode are only for ambition mode, but the levels and weapons carry over if I'm not mistaken!

When I started Ambition mode after clearing Shu normal story mode I had all the characters from Shu unlocked for Ambition mode aside from Bao Sanniang, Guan Ping and a few others I think.

I believe after you make that initial character choice you can only switch to characters you have recruited.

Also, does anyone know if the online bug has been fixed yet?

I don't want to lose all of my progress, officer levels, equipment, etc by accident.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Completely done with Shu now. Guan Xing kinda sucks. It's like they tried to make him as fancy as possible and really fucked it up. A lot of his attacks don't even hit well and his true rage attack can even lose enemies right in front of him.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Some of the liberties the game takes with the actual history of the Three Kingdoms are kinda funny. Like when Liu Bei dies in the game, Sun Shangxiang is by his side. Which didn't actually happen because she died a year before he did. :lol

squall23

One would think with all the fiction that's been inserted into an already inaccurate retelling of the 3 Kingdoms, they would've created Zhao Yun's wife by now. His sons have to come from someone right? Heck, there you go Koei. There's your new Shu characters for the next game.

inb4 fujoshi gets pissed off that the poster boy has a wife.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Some of the liberties the game takes with the actual history of the Three Kingdoms are kinda funny. Like when Liu Bei dies in the game, Sun Shangxiang is by his side. Which didn't actually happen because she died a year before he did. :lol

Surely the first thing you would have noticed back when the series started was that you could kill 100's of soldiers with Diao Chan...

Don't remember that bit in ROTK either haha.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You have to unlock characters in Story/Free Mode and Ambition Mode separately. They don't cross over unfortunately.

Your first character pick for Ambition is based on who you've unlocked for story mode.

And man do they ever pile on the melodrama in this one. Used to be you just saw Dian Wei's death. Now they want to show EVERYONE's death.

At least she's there. She had no business being a Wu character in the first few games.

Yay, got OHKO by Lu Bu at Hulao Gate!

I feel like I just joined the club now.

I thought I was doing pretty well against him as zhao yun, kept pummelling him with his EX attack and storm rushes...then Lu Bu actually decided to hit me, and 3 hits into the combo I bit the dust too, lol.

Pursuing Lu Bu still not advised, lol

I started with Wei this time around. Killed Lu Bu twice so far. Killed Diao Chan first the on the second kill just to piss him off. :D Spiked wheel is pretty fun. C1 C1 Storm rush repeart = dead Lu Bu. Keep him out of the corner though, only works in an open space.

I was upset I couldn't kill Dong Zhuo in the first Wei stage. He was just sitting there behind that door. Are those open so you can you bum rush him in the beginning if you're quick?

NeonZ

Huh? Shangxiang's year of death is unknown. There's no historical data about her after she returns to Wu.

One would think with all the fiction that's been inserted into an already inaccurate retelling of the 3 Kingdoms, they would've created Zhao Yun's wife by now. His sons have to come from someone right? Heck, there you go Koei. There's your new Shu characters for the next game.

I think that the next set of sons we'll see added will be Zhuge Liang's. At the very least, I think Zhuge Zhan seems like an obvious inclusion. In Dynasty Warriors 7, he was the commander of Shu's forces a few times near the ending, in spite of being a generic, and even Zhuge Zhan's brothers and son had some unique quotes.

i just can't get into this at all

it takes away way too much of what i liked about the older games, as someone said earlier it feels much more like a sengoku basara title. making the regular grunts fodder as you breeze your way to 4000 kos aint dynasty warriors to me. damn shame since the musou mode is actually very comprehensive and covers a lot of events. without a doubt the best kingdom mode in the series.

What is this co op save bug?

On the 360 version if you accept a game invite for coop it will join the game without loading your save data. When the game auto saves it saves over your original data, thus losing all of your previous progress. Supposedly this was present but patched in the Japanese Ps3 release. Why it wasn't fixed for the 360 version which had a day one patch is anyones guess.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
i just can't get into this at all

it takes away way too much of what i liked about the older games, as someone said earlier it feels much more like a sengoku basara title. making the regular grunts fodder as you breeze your way to 4000 kos aint dynasty warriors to me. damn shame since the musou mode is actually very comprehensive and covers a lot of events. without a doubt the best kingdom mode in the series.

But regular grunts have always been fodder.

Completely done with Shu now. Guan Xing kinda sucks. It's like they tried to make him as fancy as possible and really fucked it up. A lot of his attacks don't even hit well and his true rage attack can even lose enemies right in front of him.

I agree. The wingblades are really all over the place. The S-String is pretty bad in range and the charges basically have the user fly all over the place. The last charge move is fun thrashing through a bunch of peons though.

What is this co op save bug?

I believe it's something to do with your progress while in someone else's co-op doesn't get saved or something causing you to lose progress.

Ma Yunlu has been a popular name thrown away when people discuss which female to add. Funny enough, she could be easily fitted for the Emei Daggers DLC weapons due to the legend of her killing her husband accidentally with a needle.

I don't even think Zhao Yun is the most popular male anymore since Lu Xun and Xiahou Dun (as well as Wang Yuanji) got wallpapers for the PS3 when they did a popularity vote for DW7.

Your first character pick for Ambition is based on who you've unlocked for story mode.

And man do they ever pile on the melodrama in this one. Used to be you just saw Dian Wei's death. Now they want to show EVERYONE's death.

Ah, wasn't aware of that. Haven't started Ambition mode since I wanted to do all the story stuff first.

Well you gotta show everyone's death so you could prevent it when you run through story mode again!

I think that the next set of sons we'll see added will be Zhuge Liang's. At the very least, I think Zhuge Zhan seems like an obvious inclusion. In Dynasty Warriors 7, he was the commander of Shu's forces a few times near the ending, in spite of being a generic, and even Zhuge Zhan's brothers and son had some unique quotes.

And Zhuge Jin gets left out in the dust.

But regular grunts have always been fodder.

having spent the prior weekend messing around with a fresh save in dw3, 4, and 5 i can most certainly say that starting off you can get your ass kicked by even regular grunts if you're too overzealous. part of the thrill in those games was building up your guy by getting the better weapons and items to eventually become a walking death machine. this game just gives you that ability from the start which is lame.

i find that dw8 kind of lobotomizes an already pretty simplistic combat system

having spent the prior weekend messing around with a fresh save in dw3, 4, and 5 i can most certainly say that starting off you can get your ass kicked by even regular grunts if you're too overzealous. part of the thrill in those games was building up your guy by getting the better weapons and items to eventually become a walking death machine. this game just gives you that ability from the start which is lame.

i find that dw8 kind of lobotomizes an already pretty simplistic combat system

I disagree, practically every dynasty warriors had grunts that were disposable, there were certain types of grunts that were more overzealous than others, but overall, if you played the game well enough you could get through them with the right approach at the right time, If you're complaining about something like this and not playing Hard or Chaos, you're doing it wrong. some people dig the 4000 kill count, and actually hunt for situations to up the kill count, some people like roleplaying, this game has options for both, via weapon choice, build and difficulty setting.

Guys I'm reading on the net that the online co-op bug are still persistent on both the ps3 and 360 versions of the game is this true? I thought it was only on the 360 version? The bug that your save file gets overwritten or something if I'm not mistaken..

So having bought the PS3 version and received a 360 version, there is def some more slowdown so far in xbox. It doesn't ruin the game but it's vastly apparent when you get to some levels on the 360 version that run much faster then others.

Kaizer

Banned
Having trouble with Battle of Fan Castle on Wu's storyline. Is it possible to stop Guan Ping from flooding the castle in time?

Having trouble with Battle of Fan Castle on Wu's storyline. Is it possible to stop Guan Ping from flooding the castle in time?

After beating up the guy who's controlling the boulder tossing peons, you are suppose to head west down the path up to where the floodgates are.

Basically don't go back down to the level of where you initially fought Guan Yu, cause you can't reach the floodgates from that area.

Kaizer

Banned
After beating up the guy who's controlling the boulder tossing peons, you are suppose to head west down the path up to where the floodgates are.

Basically don't go back down to the level of where you initially fought Guan Yu, cause you can't reach the floodgates from that area.
Figured that's what I was doing wrong. Thanks.

mr.rager

Ma Yunlu has been a popular name thrown away when people discuss which female to add. Funny enough, she could be easily fitted for the Emei Daggers DLC weapons due to the legend of her killing her husband accidentally with a needle.

Hate to nitpick but it wasn't Ma Yunlu that killed Zhao Yun, it was Sun Ruan'er. It would work though since they are both fictional and they can just mix the folktales together. Zhao Yun definitely needs a partner, whether it be one of his sons or his wife.

Hate to nitpick but it wasn't Ma Yunlu that killed Zhao Yun, it was Sun Ruan'er. It would work though since they are both fictional and they can just mix the folktales together. Zhao Yun definitely needs a partner, whether it be one of his sons or his wife.

Ah, my mistake then.

Wonder if they do add a partner to Zhao Yun, will he end up sharing the spotlight in the cover arts then.

Wasn't Ma Yunlu also a made up character by Koei for their Romance of Three Kingdom series as well?

Speaking of which how I wish they'll release those games digitally as well =/ the last one localised was 11 wasn't it =/?

Top Bottom