• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Xu Shu 2nd Musou can be cast while its still going..that'sm..OP as @#$€..LOVE IT!! So worth the wait, getting the hang of him, hope they have a red colored gooded outfit, his garb reminds me of a Cleric.

i was running around the map, just looking around, a little lost, when one of my guys said he was withdrawing. thats not permanent is it? i dont wanna lose him!

i was running around the map, just looking around, a little lost, when one of my guys said he was withdrawing. thats not permanent is it? i dont wanna lose him!
I don't think so, my numbers never gone down, and my officers drop like flies in duels, and the same ones seem to excell at sucking..your username: Deftones reference?

Just did the alternate path in the Wei storyline.

I didn't think it could get any better until I heard
DW3's credits theme

Incredible.

daniels

Need some help I am pretty new to this Musou stuff only played Bleach and Pirate Warriors1. Whats the better game this or One Piece Pirate Warriors 2?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Who has two thumbs and isn't getting all of the trophies in DW8?

Yeah I'm not getting them all either. There's not enough time in the world.
I mean seriously..listening to all the voice lines? That's going to require an absurd amount of work.

I did a bunch of Ambition mode grinding first so whenever I want I can buy a bunch of 4 star weapons for someone and/or raise their level to 99.

Is that trophy any different from Good Listener in DW7? For that, I just had to talk to every NPC before every story mode level. If this is different, I'm not sure what counts as a "voice line" for the playable characters. Every single piece of voice-acted dialogue in the game?

e: I'm stupid and it has to be different because the NPCs aren't even voiced in DW8. It definitely feels cheaper than DW7 :(

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Is that trophy any different from Good Listener in DW7? For that, I just had to talk to every NPC before every story mode level. If this is different, I'm not sure what counts as a "voice line" for the playable characters. Every single piece of voice-acted dialogue in the game?

e: I'm stupid and it has to be different because the NPCs aren't even voiced in DW8. It definitely feels cheaper than DW7 :(

I don't know if I'd say that it feels "cheaper" than DW7. Maybe the localization, but not the game itself. And from what I've heard, the initial plan for DW8 was for it to have Japanese voices only, but then along the way something or other happened and they ended up dubbing it anyway. Or something.

The lack of a narrator and NPC voices doesn't really bug me all that much, personally. I read faster than people talk, so I usually end up skipping most of the voiced dialogue anyway. What bugs me a bit is that you can't quickly skip through the pre-battle narration (the stuff that would usually be narrated). I understand WHY you can't, since that stuff was narrated in the Japanese release, but still. Like I said, I read really really fast, so having to sit through all that text without being able to skip through it after I've read it is a bit annoying.

Astarte

Ambition mode is definitely insane. Grab a bodyguard for heals for days, a weapon that gives hp and musou on hit, and a horse that you can't get knocked off of that gives you musou and rage per second.
everybody's feeling this tonight

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't know if I'd say that it feels "cheaper" than DW7. Maybe the localization, but not the game itself. And from what I've heard, the initial plan for DW8 was for it to have Japanese voices only, but then along the way something or other happened and they ended up dubbing it anyway. Or something.

The lack of a narrator and NPC voices doesn't really bug me all that much, personally. I read faster than people talk, so I usually end up skipping most of the voiced dialogue anyway. What bugs me a bit is that you can't quickly skip through the pre-battle narration (the stuff that would usually be narrated). I understand WHY you can't, since that stuff was narrated in the Japanese release, but still. Like I said, I read really really fast, so having to sit through all that text without being able to skip through it after I've read it is a bit annoying.

Yeah, I was referring to the localization specifically. I guess the games don't sell as well as they used to and Koei can't help cutting non-essential things like some of the VA, but it's just something that I can't help but notice and, thus, can't help but miss a little. I'd like to hope that straits aren't so dire for them that they almost went digital with a flagship title due to VA costs.

SCEA really need to get their head out of their ass with that policy; might actually be a good thread idea to ask if there's any chance of this changing with PS4.

Now me, I miss the narrator terribly. It's not like I haven't heard the RotTK story a dozen times already, but it was tradition for me to chill out and bask in the gravitas of Michael McConnohie's commanding voice between battles. The pre/post-battle narration just feels........empty to me now. There should definitely be an option to skip for those who don't care, but for whatever reason, it's been my habit never even to try to skip the narration.

Kaizer

Banned
Is the branching storyline stuff for the main Story mode or is that for Ambition/Free Mode? I've only played Story Mode so far and completed a star objective in a stage but didn't see any changes.

Is the branching storyline stuff for the main Story mode or is that for Ambition/Free Mode? I've only played Story Mode so far and completed a star objective in a stage but didn't see any changes.

Those stars, help you get stages unlocked for each storyline to play through the "What If" Stages.

Reknoc

Woo got my copy. Was a little unsure if I could afford it but I traded in some games and managed to not need to spend money on it. They even gave me the dynasty warriors 1 and romance of the three kingdoms costumes DLC lol

Hystzen

Woo got my copy. Was a little unsure if I could afford it but I traded in some games and managed to not need to spend money on it. They even gave me the dynasty warriors 1 and romance of the three kingdoms costumes DLC lol

it seems they free on PSN anyway already raided them just need figure out where buy game from now my town has hardly any shops sell games. Amazon being £34 is tempting doubt it be much cheaper but got a HMV voucher recently that might mean a trip to find a store

Reknoc

it seems they free on PSN anyway already raided them just need figure out where buy game from now my town has hardly any shops sell games. Amazon being £34 is tempting doubt it be much cheaper but got a HMV voucher recently that might mean a trip to find a store

The only stores that even stock it here are grainger and maybe play-time.

Torraz

Not sure whether to get this. Never played a dynasty warriors game before.

I liked:
- Gundam Warriors 3
- Sengoku Basara 3
- Ken's rage (FOTN musou) (except for the long fights/matches)...

1. How long are the matches? ~5-10 min Gundam warriors style or ~30 min Hokuto Musou?
2. How complex are the levels?
3. How much backtracking is required (for example due to the game spawning enemy groups behind your lines)
4. How much do you have to babysit your army?

Thanks.

Terra_Ex

Only played up till Hefei in Wei's storyline so far but just wanted to say this is the most fun I've had in a DW game since DW4, gameplay feels really tight (the rock paper scissors approach to weapons is a great addition, loving the musou variations) and we're no longer locked down to the single character Koei chose for a particular stage. Overall quite impressed so far, though I do miss the familiar narrator voice from previous games. Also somewhat disappointed that the duels from DW7 (I think it was that one) seem to be gone - where the peon guards would form a circle around you and the other general(s), I liked that feature. Will definitely be checking out all the possible story branches later, I especially loved those in SW1 so if they're anything like that I'll be most happy.

I think it involves unlocking all the voice lines in Gallery mode.

For the battle voices, that all gets unlocked when you level a character to level 30 or higher.

Not so sure about Ambition mode though.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think it involves unlocking all the voice lines in Gallery mode.

For the battle voices, that all gets unlocked when you level a character to level 30 or higher.

Not so sure about Ambition mode though.

Ah, okay. Still sounds relatively straightforward, then.

Giantbomb did a DW8 QL of the 360 version, god damn that slowdown is horrendous. I got slowdown when there were a ton of fire effects on the ps3 version but not like that

Yeah, it's bad. When Dong Zhuo sets fire to Luoyang in the Hulao Gate stage, everything slows to a crawl for me. Don't remember it being quite as noticeable at Chibi for whatever reason, though.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Sigh will end up getting on PS3 I guess. Was looking to continue trend of cheevo unlocking.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I've played all the new characters and I have to say

Fun
Wen Yan
Lu Su
Jia Chong
Zhang Chunhua

So-So
Guan Yinping
Yue Jin
Li Dian

Too 'stylish' making it impossible to be useful
Guan Xing

Boring
Zhang Bao
Han Dang

Jin really won out though a lot of the new movesets, like Cao Pi's and Xiahou Yuan's, are some of the best in the series.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Man, what do I have to do to unlock the Fortune Hunter ability? I've gotten over 1000 KOs in several battles and I can't imagine that the "defeat an enemy officer with a KO Count above a certain level" would require more than that.

Man, what do I have to do to unlock the Fortune Hunter ability? I've gotten over 1000 KOs in several battles and I can't imagine that the "defeat an enemy officer with a KO Count above a certain level" would require more than that.

1500 KOs and plus seems to be the magic number I needed to start learning the skill.

I just shot the PR guy a email asking if there is a patch in the pipeline for the 360 version. I'll report back with my findings.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm so happy that the Shu storyline ends at Wuzhang in this, because everything after that is so depressing for Shu bias guys like me. DW7 made me fucking hate Liu Shan and Jiang Wei's guts. I guess that's what the Jin story mode will be for :lol

1500 KOs and plus seems to be the magic number I needed to start learning the skill.

welp, looks like I have a lot of Yellow Turbans to slaughter.

I'm so happy that the Shu storyline ends at Wuzhang in this, because everything after that is so depressing for Shu bias guys like me. DW7 made me fucking hate Liu Shan and Jiang Wei's guts. I guess that's what the Jin story mode will be for :lol

smh, early Shu sucks. Give me more Mid to Late Shu anyday.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Liu Shan has a face designed to be punched. By the end of Jin's story I was wanting Jia to kill everyone in that fucking group. Especially Jiang's new voice actor. Ma Dai looks like such a piece of shit too.

Xingcai can join the glorious Jin revolution... Except Sima Zhao looks like a piece of shit too. But Zhong Hui, Deng Ai, Jia Chong, and Yuanji are pretty cool.

Real talk though. Next campaign added needs to be the Yellow Turbans for the will of the heavens.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Especially Jiang's new voice actor.

Real talk though. Next campaign added needs to be the Yellow Turbans for the will of the heavens.

By new voice actor, do you mean the one he had in 7 that sounds vaguely like an English person recovering from a sore throat, or does he have an entirely new one again?

Oh and that sounds real good. Just reminded me of how much I enjoyed Zhang Jiao's Musou mode in Dynasty Warriors 5.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So, I'm slightly confused about leveling. I went to check out Free Mode and noticed that Story Mode characters that I'd never touched were all leveled in relatively the same range as the characters that I had used. Is exp shared between all of the characters that the game gives you the option to use in a particular Story Mode level?

smh, early Shu sucks. Give me more Mid to Late Shu anyday.

Late Shu is the worst period for any of the factions in the game, man. The Northern Campaign is interminable and boring and it hurts to see Liu Bei's dream shat upon by his own braindead, obsessively belligerent son :(

LuuKyK

Does anyone know if the new characters from this game are going to be featured in the new Warriors Orochi? The Ultimate version one.

By new voice actor, do you mean the one he had in 7 that sounds vaguely like an English person recovering from a soar throat, or does he have an entirely new one again?

I think Jiang Wei always had that faux British accent going on for him since DW5. They probably are just taking it to much higher levels now.

So, I'm slightly confused about leveling. I went to check out Free Mode and noticed that Story Mode characters that I'd never touched were all leveled in relatively the same range as the characters that I had used. Is exp shared between all of the characters that the game gives you the option to use in a particular Story Mode level?

Late Shu is the worst period for any of the factions in the game, man. The Northern Campaign is interminable and boring and it hurts to see Liu Bei's dream shat upon by his own braindead, obsessively belligerent son :(

I believe that exp is shared but it only gets applied once you get the chance to use them again in the story mode. So right now in the Wei story, my Yu Jin is higher level than Li Dian cause I was able to use him on Wei-4 or something while Li Dian, I haven't had a chance to since Wei-2 or whatever.

Does anyone know if the new characters from this game are going to be featured in the new Warriors Orochi? The Ultimate version one.

Nope, doesn't look like it. Ultimate isn't even carrying over the DW7E weapon changes either. :/

wei 4ever

bestwu

Getting a copy of this game soon, what difficulty would be recommended for a veteran to the series?

I don't want to play on the highest difficulty level and find out that it's impossible with level 1 characters.

I'm curious to know what the max level is of these skills...I've only played for about half of Shu's musou mode but how high do these skills go? 20? 50? 100?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Completed Wu's hypothetical storyline last night. Holy shit was that epic.

Will be working on Shu when I get home.

Getting a copy of this game soon, what difficulty would be recommended for a veteran to the series?

I don't want to play on the highest difficulty level and find out that it's impossible with level 1 characters.

Normal or Hard. So far I found normal to be doable with fresh characters and still have a bit of a challenge when facing officers. Hard is probably ok too but you might end up taking too much damage and not dishing out enough since everyone guards against everything in this game.

I'm curious to know what the max level is of these skills...I've only played for about half of Shu's musou mode but how high do these skills go? 20? 50? 100?

I believe 20 is the max.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Zhang Jiao confirmed for best NA voice actor.

Back in the day, you had to play as Zhang Jiao if you wanted crazy magic moves. Everyone else could just shoot little orbs out and that was it meanwhile Zhang Jiao was shooting flamethrowers out.

Top Bottom