• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

MrDaravon

As far as weapon skills I haven't seen a lot or most of them, there's this post over on Gamefaqs regarding the "best" weapon skills, how accurate is this to folks that are further along?

Necessary:
Cyclone
Thorns
Jubilation
Explosive/Induction
Velocity (can be replaced with another optional below for speedy characters)

Optional:
Slash, Explosive/Induction, Thunder (use Explosive above then), Flurry
This one can depend on the character, or if you get tired of farming your ideal weapon, just stick with whichever one of these you find. :) I usually used Slash, but all of them are useful.

I have a bajillion weapons already, so I'd like to sell the ones I don't need at the least and hold on to the ones that have skills that are actually useful for forging.

Also what character skills are people using? Excluding I guess the weapon skills, I've just been using Health Boost/Attack Boost/Defense Boost/Victory Cry (increased item drops).

I'm impressed. I've put in over ten hours now and finished the Shu campaign, and before I look at the other modes I want to give credit to the core gameplay. As a big Dw3/4 fan, this really is the best DW, and as that Destructoid review states, there are so many great details that most gamers may not appreciate but a DW fan will appreciate immensely. The game offers combat streamlining, leveling, and options in all the right ways. I'm genuinely surprised by the effort by Koei. Whereas most series entries feel they were designed by a publisher, this game feels like it was designed by a fan of the series. All the improvements are areas which fans will greatly appreciate. It's not revolutionary but it's a perfecting of the original vision of the series.

Besides I believe the 5th weapon, completely random. They are just better versions of whatever number star weapons with built in weapon skills. So some could be great but considering how rare to actually get them, it might not be worth the time.

Wait those are the 5th weapons? Because I've gotten a gold 2 star and a gold 3 star weapon right now. I thought they were just buffed versions of 2nd and 3rd weapons. I found a guide for 5th weapons, assumed they were different. The guide says each character's 5th weapon is unlocked just like older DW games, playing on hard mode, and doing specific things during specific missions
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/7027507/1/
http://blog.game-de.com/musou7/mu7-rare-buki/

Astarte

Some places say you just have to do 30 ambition matches to get a new horse.

Others say you have to do them consecutively. I'm confused.

I did 30 ambition matches consecutively and I got some technicolored horses. I'm pretty sure it's consecutively, I haven't had a magic horse pop up on me every 30 non consequtive matches.

Wait those are the 5th weapons? Because I've gotten a gold 2 star and a gold 3 star weapon right now. I thought they were just buffed versions of 2nd and 3rd weapons. I found a guide for 5th weapons, assumed they were different. The guide says each character's 5th weapon is unlocked just like older DW games, playing on hard mode, and doing specific things during specific missions
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/7027507/1/
http://blog.game-de.com/musou7/mu7-rare-buki/

Ah, I said it wrong. I meant besides the 5th weapons which requires a specific method of getting them, the 1 to 4 star weapons are all randomly dropped.

3rd time now downloading the game because after 2 days my game file is corrupted again.

Worst experience I've had buying a game on PSN. I must be close to 40 full game downloads now and zero problems before this.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Finally got to Shu's hypothetical branch. Story Mode is definitely meatier than I was expecting; at the rate that I'm playing, it might be a week before I even touch Ambition Mode.

Finally got to Shu's hypothetical branch. Story Mode is definitely meatier than I was expecting; at the rate that I'm playing, it might be a week before I even touch Ambition Mode.

How did you do it? I want to unlock Zhu Rong, which supposedly is done through an alternate path in Shu's story mode. Already finished the campaign, so I'm not sure specifically what I'm supposed to do.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
How did you do it? I want to unlock Zhu Rong, which supposedly is done through an alternate path in Shu's story mode. Already finished the campaign, so I'm not sure specifically what I'm supposed to do.

There should be a "select a stage" option in Story Mode. Toggle through the stages, and look at the stage description panel on the right. Some of the stages should have one or two extra objectives marked with a star; if you've completed that objective, the star will be yellow. In Shu's case, fulfilling every one of these objectives will give you the option to take a divergent storyline at Fan Castle, after which the hypothetical stages begin.

Basically, you'll have to replay a few stages, but after that you get the equivalent of previous games' Musou Mode for that faction's Story Mode.

Finished some the regular ending for Wei.

Lol at Guan Yu's death.
Even at Wei's story, Shu's basis is still there.

Haha, stopping again right before Cao Pi gets to rule anything.

Guess I'll do Shu story's mode tomorrow.

Basically, you'll have to replay a few stages, but after that you get the equivalent of previous games' Musou Mode for that faction's Story Mode.

Ah, okay. I've already got most of them. The only ones I'm finding tricky are in "Defense of Xu Province" where you need to defeat all withdrawing enemies, and "Battle of Chengdu" where I need to prevent the Pang Tong assassination. How do I accomplish those specifically? Sometimes the game is a bit vague.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
so when i need to do weapon tempering in ambition mode,

say the char i picked for ambition mode was lu bu, if i wanna temper a weapon for another char say guan yu do i have to start a new ambition mode or can i just chose his weapon ? or do i have to recruit him?

so when i need to do weapon tempering in ambition mode,

say the char i picked for ambition mode was lu bu, if i wanna temper a weapon for another char say guan yu do i have to start a new ambition mode or can i just chose his weapon ? or do i have to recruit him?

Nope, all weapons are at your fingertips, you have to upgrade your Blacksmith in ambition mode to 30 (I think) Temper is where its at, Reforge is a waste of time and money in my opinion -__-

I have a question regarding the shu story
say you are playing it in one go and you get to the level defense of xu province and defeat all the retreating enemies does that mean you would skip the guan du level?

Jin

Is there any redeeming quality with Zhang Bao? My god his character is awful. Weak movesets, low range, and a lame musou. I feel like I'm missing something.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oh shit. So when you're doing Duel stages in Ambition mode, if your allied officers get the KO on an officer and not you, you don't unlock them as playable characters for the mode. I just missed out on both Xu Zhu and Cai Wenji like this. ;_;

I'm watching the Quicklook for this game right now... does the PS3 version run much better than this?

YESSSH

it has its slowdown when things get crazy, but nowhere near that degree.

Oh shit. So when you're doing Duel stages in Ambition mode, if your allied officers get the KO on an officer and not you, you don't unlock them as playable characters for the mode. I just missed out on both Xu Zhu and Cai Wenji like this. ;_;

that sucks, but you WILL see then again, make sure you have space to gain those officers.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Ah, okay. I've already got most of them. The only ones I'm finding tricky are in "Defense of Xu Province" where you need to defeat all withdrawing enemies, and "Battle of Chengdu" where I need to prevent the Pang Tong assassination. How do I accomplish those specifically? Sometimes the game is a bit vague.

Those were actually the two that I missed and had to redo.

For Xu Province, do what you're told until Liu Bei, Guan Yu, and Zhang Fei split into three to counter the three-pronged assault. Regardless of who you're playing as, head to where the ballistae are being constructed, because that's close to the retreat path for the enemy soldiers. On your way there, some Wei reinforcements (Yue Jin and some others) should arrive from the lower left corner of the map. That's also the retreat location for the enemy forces, so you'll want to position yourself between there and the officers to assault them as they're retreating. If you kill them before Guo Jia signals the retreat, it won't count (as I learned the hard way). Make sure to have your rage bar filled before this so that you can slaughter the initial wave of officers in one go and then pick off the stragglers one by one.

For Chengdu, this one's actually pretty easy. Take the path to the left instead of the right when the battle begins, and you should notice a path that cuts across the bottom third of the map. KO enough enemies along the way to fill your rage bar and then just run to end of this path, at which point there should be stairs leading up to a wooden platform overlooking the right-sided path that Pang Tong is following. Zhang Ran will suddenly appear, at which point you need to kill him as quickly as possible. If Pang Tong's movements trigger his ambush before then, it's already too late.

Nope, all weapons are at your fingertips, you have to upgrade your Blacksmith in ambition mode to 30 (I think) Temper is where its at, Reforge is a waste of time and money in my opinion -__-

Ah so there is a weapon system similar to WO, time to get back to upgrading my blacksmith. Reforging seemed like the biggest waste of time.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Anyone else notice that they undid some of the name pronunciation changes that were made in DW7? Lu Xun is now "Shoon" instead of "Shwin" and Xiahou Dun is now "Dun" instead of "Dwin".

Dear God the install is taking ages XD, but guessing it'll be worth it, can't wait for the PS4 so less of this happens...

I know it's optional but sped up loading times are always a plus.

Those were actually the two that I missed and had to redo.

For Xu Province, do what you're told until Liu Bei, Guan Yu, and Zhang Fei split into three to counter the three-pronged assault. Regardless of who you're playing as, head to where the ballistae are being constructed, because that's close to the retreat path for the enemy soldiers. On your way there, some Wei reinforcements (Yue Jin and some others) should arrive from the lower left corner of the map. That's also the retreat location for the enemy forces, so you'll want to position yourself between there and the officers to assault them as they're retreating. If you kill them before Guo Jia signals the retreat, it won't count (as I learned the hard way). Make sure to have your rage bar filled before this so that you can slaughter the initial wave of officers in one go and then pick off the stragglers one by one.

Thanks a bunch! Do I have to kill just the officers, or absolutely everyone?

I've done that before, but how critical is the timing between the fire attack and the retreat? Which one happens first and how soon after one does the other go down?

The retreat is ordered first then the fire attack almost immediately after, again it doesn't matter if the fire attack is a success if you took down the officers retreating beforehand as long as the retreat order is given and before fire attack is successful, hopefully lie being and guan Yu can hold them off, they did for me on my second attempt

Foofaraw

I haven't played since DW4 and one of the big draws was leveling the weapons and eventually gaining the ultimate weapon for a character. Is this still present in the games and other games like this? (SW, DW:G)

I feel like I probably shouldn't dive back into this game because it is a bit like WoW in the amount of time I end up sinking into it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The retreat is ordered first then the fire attack almost immediately after, again it doesn't matter if the fire attack is a success if you took down the officers retreating beforehand as long as the retreat order is given and before fire attack is successful, hopefully lie being and guan Yu can hold them off, they did for me on my second attempt

I had all of the enemy officers KOed within a minute of the retreat order being given so there's definitely a doable window of time after the retreat is called. The fire attack troops take a couple of minutes to get to their destination anyway.

I had all of the enemy officers KOed within a minute of the retreat order being given so there's definitely a doable window of time after the retreat is called. The fire attack troops take a couple of minutes to get to their destination anyway.

I was unlucky on my first go, the fire attack unit just ran past guan Yu without engaging him>. >

Yep forgot to mention also that, no voiced narrator feels strange.

Did the Japanese version also rid the narrator? Hope not, without a narrator on these scene feels like the loading screens of previous games =/

All that's voiced in the Japanese version.

Oh god, Shu. Why am I basically using the same four characters for story mode.

I killed all of the guys trying to retreat, but didn't prevent the fire attack. It didn't seem to matter since I prevented it on a previous play. I still unlocked the alternate story path later on, so thanks.

Draxal

They need to add Lady Mi with baby Liu Shan as a weapon for the next Shu character.

Anyway Xu Shu is probably my favorite of the new chars from 7xl/emp and 8. I just love his moveset.

Oi, anyone with access to PSN, what is the current price for dynasty warriors 7 empires?
someone who knows someone I know wanted to know.. please and thank you.

Top Bottom