• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Downloaded a 3rd time and its corrupt again.

My ps3 froze playing Sleeping Dogs while it was DLing in background. But I was downloading the Bulletstorm trial too for something to play while I wait and it downloaded and installed perfectly fine. Every other game off PSN has been fine.

So I don't know why DW8 is such a mess for me on PSN. Downloading a 4th time now. I'm beginning to worry about my bandwidth cap and wasting 80GB on screwing with a bad downloader.

Reminds me of SimCity... More time waiting to play than playing.

Considering he was one of my favorite characters from DW4, I like how they seem to continue to establish Zhang Liao as a powerful warrior...I was really shocked when he
up and killed Taishi Ci
. Like wow...good job on making this guy out to be the real threat he is! Now if only they could give him back his original weapon...

Considering he was one of my favorite characters from DW4, I like how they seem to continue to establish Zhang Liao as a powerful warrior...I was really shocked when he
up and killed Taishi Ci
. Like wow...good job on making this guy out to be the real threat he is! Now if only they could give him back his original weapon...

Which was?

Oh wow, these hypothetical batles are kind of cool...the one at HeiFei was pretty hilarious with how Lu Su kept figuring out what Wei was up to.

Oh wow, these hypothetical batles are kind of cool...the one at HeiFei was pretty hilarious with how Lu Su kept figuring out what Wei was up to.
I'm almost done with Wu's beautiful alternate/hypothetical route, you'll see just how awesome the concept is, I'm enjoying altering history and riding with all tigers at the ready!

The fact that Yueying is playable in story mode makes Mid-Late Shu the best version of Shu.

Also, I love that Jiang Wei's EX weapon type is Shadow Step. Shadow Step is probably the best weapon type.

Alright, I'm getting really frustrated trying to unlock Zhu Rong. I think I need to unlock a level via The Ambush At Chang'an, by killing Xiahou Mao before he escapes. But I have no clue where he is. I hoof it over the bridge the moment it's set up, but I can't find this guy.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Alright, I'm getting really frustrated trying to unlock Zhu Rong. I think I need to unlock a level via The Ambush At Chang'an, by killing Xiahou Mao before he escapes. But I have no clue where he is. I hoof it over the bridge the moment it's set up, but I can't find this guy.

He's almost directly ahead once you get over the bridge a couple of chambers into the path; I had no issue finding and killing him. I know that you almost certainly know this already but you can always use the start menu to see where individual enemy officers are.

He's almost directly ahead once you get over the bridge a couple of chambers into the path; I had no issue finding and killing him. I know that you almost certainly know this already but you can always use the start menu to see where individual enemy officers are.

It appears that I didn't get the star objective on the previous level, something about Lu Meng. I've heard the he shows up as support in Chang'an if you do that. Is that what I'm missing?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It appears that I didn't get the star objective on the previous level, something about Lu Meng. I've heard the he shows up as support in Chang'an if you do that. Is that what I'm missing?

I have that star and I don't remember there even being a prompt for Lu Meng and Lu Xun joining during the next battle. They might just show up from the beginning.

I have that star and I don't remember there even being a prompt for Lu Meng and Lu Xun joining during the next battle. They might just show up from the beginning.

That's probably got something to do with it. I'll check it out, thanks.

Is there a big install for this game, required or optional? (Won't be home for a bit to check)

There's an install, but it's optional. Don't recall how big it is, but it seems to help things.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That's probably got something to do with it. I'll check it out, thanks.

Also, did you rescue the handmaiden's sister in the first portion of the stage? I don't even know if it's possible to fail that, but it causes Xiahou Mao to retreat to the spot at which you eventually kill him.

Anyway, in the Lukou stage, lure Lu Xun into the central garrison to launch the fire attack against him and then attack Lu Meng using the back path to get that star.

10GB, optional.

Get it! We still never played WO3 together! We need to play this! :D

This may sound crazy, okay?

This is my first Dynasty Warriors game.

GASP. I'm a Samurai Warriors kind of guy, and I loved them in Warriors Orochi. However, through WO, I played enough cool DW characters to warrant getting this (and to buy time til SW2HD/SW4 comes out.)

Plus, the game looks hype as fuck.

I'd love to still play WO3 with you. I took a break from that because WO3 Ultimate was announced. We can play some DW8 later if you don't mind I'll be low leveled as hell for a little but. I love the idea of Co-op Story mode, unlike the Bullshit co-op only when you've defeated a stage from WO3. *shudders*

Also, do you find the handmaiden's sister in the first portion of the stage? I don't even know if it's possible to fail that, but it causes Xiahou Mao to retreat to the spot at which you eventually kill him.

Yeah, that's definitely not the problem. It doesn't seem to be something you can fail.

Anyway, in the Lukou stage, lure Lu Xun into the central garrison to launch the fire attack against him and then attack Lu Meng using the back path to get that star.

I only played through the stage once so far, so hopefully this is what does it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yeah, that's definitely not the problem. It doesn't seem to be something you can fail.

Then, once you get the star at Lukou, I suppose my best advice would be to look at the mini-map when Xiahou Mao retreats. There'll probably be a flashing green square indicating his new position as there typically is to draw attention to a new objective or a unit that's changed locations.

Finished Shu's Historical route in Story mode. Got a lot better after they got over just having the same four characters to use for like four stages.

It's silly how much it covered and how much it just skipped over at the same time just to cover all that.

Onto to Jin!

Ailike

I had an issue with this on a run where after the bridge was placed, Xiahou just disappeared after I crossed the bridge. Not retreated, but just... bugged or something. So of course I looked and he wasn't there, and Guo shows up and its a bust.

I just ran the level over again, and poof. There he was. Not the first bug I've encountered, so try giving it another shot and see what happens.

Good review, glad to hear that the 360 version is getting a patch to fix the slow down. Any word on when? I want to get back into the series since the last one I played was on the PS2 :)

Thanks. No idea, the PR guy just said as soon as possible. It isn't always slow though, but yeah thankfully it's getting fixed.

I just ran the level over again, and poof. There he was. Not the first bug I've encountered, so try giving it another shot and see what happens.

No good. I got the star on the previous level, and Mao still just disappears. I've tried this fucking level like 6 times now. Nothing.

EDIT: Okay, it FINALLY FINALLY worked, but only when I played the level as Wei Yan.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Fucking Lu Bu, man. In Wei's Hulao Gate stage, we get this badass cutscene where Dian Wei suddenly appears and basically says "you guys run! I'll keep Lu Bu busy!"

Two seconds after the cutscene ends, Lu Bu runs straight for me and two-shots me as I'm trying to get on my horse to get away.

FUCKING

LU

BU

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
The fact that Yueying is playable in story mode makes Mid-Late Shu the best version of Shu.

I was already hype to play as Yueying as her outfit is stylin, then to see my girl having a scythe for a weapon now? And can summon tanks?! Hoooooooly shit!

Trying to get the star for Xu Province in Shu's story mode. Like right when Guo Jia gives the order to withdraw one group is already at the exit point and bolts before I can reach them. Will work on it tomorrow.

Astarte

Fucking Lu Bu, man. In Wei's Hulao Gate stage, we get this badass cutscene where Dian Wei suddenly appears and basically says "you guys run! I'll keep Lu Bu busy!"

Two seconds after the cutscene ends, Lu Bu runs straight for me and two-shots me as I'm trying to get on my horse to get away.

FUCKING

LU

BU

Which is hilarious on Shu. I forgot what stage it was, but you and your little army of cronies encounter Lu Bu and get ready to fight. Cue rousing speech about togetherness, etc.
Post cutscene dialogue: Yo fuck this let's bounce

Has she? Maybe back in the day I always had her used a staff then.

She went from dagger axe -> bow -> blade bow -> staff -> dagger axe again

Which is hilarious on Shu. I forgot what stage it was, but you and your little army of cronies encounter Lu Bu and get ready to fight. Cue rousing speech about togetherness, etc.
Post cutscene dialogue: Yo fuck this let's bounce

I was so worried that I was gonna have to fight Lu Bu after that cutscene. I was already mashing L2 to summon the horse so I could get the hell out of there.

Also, Zhang Chunhua is amazing.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Whoa, Dian Wei's weapon change gives him 2x attack for a brief period! He's the ultimate slaughter machine already, and I still only have lv1 weapons for him. Axes seem not to drop as frequently as other weapons for me.

Trying to get the star for Xu Province in Shu's story mode. Like right when Guo Jia gives the order to withdraw one group is already at the exit point and bolts before I can reach them. Will work on it tomorrow.

Just get there as quickly as you can, make sure your rage bar is full, and get between the officers and the exit point so that you can take them all out at once. Guo Jia will eventually give the order even if you do nothing/don't fulfill your objective, so don't waste time with officers along the way.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Just get there as quickly as you can, make sure your rage bar is full, and get between the officers and the exit point so that you can take them all out at once. Guo Jia will eventually give the order even if you do nothing/don't fulfill your objective, so don't waste time with officers along the way.

Edit: nevermind :lol

Is there a way to save mid stage? I hate needing to restart the entire thing every time I die.

If you do the save from the menu halfway through the level, it will let you continue to continue from there but it keeps whatever state you health, etc is but it's better then nothing.

Sure did, another well produced vid with equal parts goodnatured humor and important information(definitely do the tutorial!) you're gonna end up selling a lot of people with that review, it speaks to people that ignored the series till now.

I know I was one of them. I love it. Soooo... much.... CONTENT!

Top Bottom