• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Weird.
I'm working on the side-objectives to unlock Wu's "what-if?" route.
Problem is apparently I didn't successfully complete the Defeat Gan Ji stage. I beat him up but Sun Ce is all "Nope. I'm gonna keep napping." and I didn't get my gold star. =(

Bleah...I forgot to destroy a giant urn. Argh.

so has this happened to anyone else? I picked a level in ambition mode, the loading bar was taking a little longer than usual but filled up nonetheless, so i hit x to begin battle and the battle just didn't start. So now I'm sitting at a full bar and just watching the character portraits keep switching and the level is just not starting.

I'm worried that if I just shut it off, I'll lose a bunch of progress. Does the game save every time you come back to town during ambition mode? Is it okay if I just shut the game off?

Xander51

Finally picked this game up yesterday, and I'm loving it so far. Yue Jin and his hookblades are really really cool. The new horse summoning controls are amazing. I really miss the narrator voice, and I'm playing on 360 so I'm having to tolerate all the random slowdowns, but even in spite of that it's probably the best game in the series.

You know you're playing the definitive version of dynasty warriors when "Phantom" Lu Bu is following you..as an ally.

Weird.
I'm working on the side-objectives to unlock Wu's "what-if?" route.
Problem is apparently I didn't successfully complete the Defeat Gan Ji stage. I beat him up but Sun Ce is all "Nope. I'm gonna keep napping." and I didn't get my gold star. =(

Bleah...I forgot to destroy a giant urn. Argh.

That feel..I know it well.

Great review!

Thanks. I appreciate this after someone on gamefaqs told me I'm just another loud mouth youtubber. :p Oh wait, it was gamefaqs. :D

Speaking of DW8, was playing this some more last night, playing in the middle of a fight and those damn boulders come crashing into me again. I really need to NOT fight in the middle of environmental attacking areas.

Anyone manage to grab a few fifth level weapons?
Does it matter which character is used to unlock them?
(Like using Bao-Sanniang to acquire the fifth level sword even though her EX is the spinner)

Still have 10 levels of Ambition mode to go before I unlock Red Hare. Thankfully I can save and take breaks or else my soul would have been drained.

After being so lazy, updated the OT with the reviews, Jin's trailer and some of the useful links that were scattered around the thread.

So is slowdown normal on the PS3 version as well? On my it's not as bad as the 360 video but much more slowdown than the other games in the series =/

And congrats to ShogunDarius lol, got tagged before even becoming a member XD

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
How is it that Sun Jian gets cooler with every game and Sun Quan continues to look like the Missing Link?
Wow, this game has a dude that fights wielding what looks to be a boat. Definitive Dynasty Warriors indeed.

Have you seen how he actually fights with it? How did Huang Gai go from bombs and maces to Kelly Slater

MoxManiac

So is slowdown normal on the PS3 version as well? On my it's not as bad as the 360 video but much more slowdown than the other games in the series =/

And congrats to ShogunDarius lol, got tagged before even becoming a member XD

There's a couple parts in the ps3 version that do have massive slowdown, like the on-fire portions of chi bi.

The "Other" chapters are great fun, I'd suggest recruiting the character in Ambition mode first and leveling them up to about 10 with some good weapons, especially with the yellow turban leader was at 4000 kills, him and the Dong have some uber overpowered moves..its a massacre so far!

How is it that Sun Jian gets cooler with every game and Sun Quan continues to look like the Missing Link?

Have you seen how he actually fights with it? How did Huang Gai go from bombs and maces to Kelly Slater
I can't explain it either, and I like Sun Quan, but his father is too awesome.

Sun Jian just got a new weapon that shoots sounds waves and his rage musou finisher involves letting his sword stab itself into the ground.

Sun Quan still uses the same boring sword and spins around everywhere. Hopefully next game, he'll get the Blaze Sword so at least his EX weapon isn't boring. ~_~

It is in my believe Omega Force develop their Wu characters based on modern surfers and permenant beach residences XD

There's a couple parts in the ps3 version that do have massive slowdown, like the on-fire portions of chi bi.
Oh good thought my PS3 was gonna die on me like my launch 60GB phat T-T, yeah they're gonna have to iron out this new engine, but who knows if they'll use it on the PS4. They're likely gonna make it for 8 empires/extreme legends at least.

StaSeb

Got my video review finally done on this after some week/weekday action. Loved it.

I was very impressed by your review. The comedy part on the start did have me fear for the worst - not a fan of it, sorry - but your actual video review was very well put together. I think it covers the games very nicely. The video is very much in synch with your narration, it was very vell structured and voiced. Kudos for that. You must have spent quite some time in editing and writing. So thanks for the entertainment!

Played the PS3-Version for quite some time now. Love everything about it. The terribly asian battle-phrases "I have to reevaluate my ambitions!!", the charming mixed bag of half technical mess and half stunning moments of gleeful over-the-top-effects, the scope, the music, ah... I never want to see a "perfect" DW game with AAA-production values! I demand the PS4-games to look like a bit more polished PS3-games.

Not a fan if the interface though. Menuwork, especially when managing weapons, skills or that build-a-village-mode feels terribly outdated. They could do so much better wih imho very little effort. Just let a pro-designer in that field go to town. It would elevate tha game a lot and sureley help newcomers ease in the way those musou-games are to be played. Especially looking at the more strategic Iterations of these games.

StaSeb

Quick question; Am I mistaken or is there a bit less strategy involved in the missions? I liked the element of controlling gates and bases to form the flow of battle. Is that still present in some missions? Or is that not a thing in story-mode?

Quick question; Am I mistaken or is there a bit less strategy involved in the missions? I liked the element of controlling gates and bases to form the flow of battle. Is that still present in some missions? Or is that not a thing in story-mode?
Oh, it's still in there, depending on the battle and kingdom, it can be a bit frustrating, keep playing, your stratgists will definitely represent.

Terra_Ex

I haven't played a DW game since 6, has a lot improved since then?

This game is an improvement on just about every front, though I doubt it has the crazy Lu Bu campaign that DW6 had (a shame).

Bases do show up occasionally in story mode from what I've seen, they are usually tied to mission objectives now though, ie: capture this base to advance the "plot/strategy" for this stage.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Which was the musou game where you could control your dudes attacking or defending with the d-pad? I think it was an Empire.

I usually just had them defend because it was like 'you idiots will fuck it up if I send you out'

What impresses me the most about the game is the size, the gameplay, and the polish.

If I had compiled a list of complaints from years of playing III and IV, it would be very similar to the list of improvements in VIII. The game has increased in size in all its RPG elements. The cast and inventory are large, and, more importantly, varied. I'm not an anime or Japanese art style fan, and many of the characters I found previously annoying are much less irritable now, and I have found a much better variety in the cast to suit my more western RPG tastes. Characters and weapons are great treadmills, and the Ambition mode offers great replay value beyond that. More importantly, stats are presented in great and clean menus with gorgeous portraits. The presentation quality has improved surprisingly so: even the story mode has benefited from this with cut-scenes and story now worth watching. And, the gameplay is strongly refined from the original design of III and IV. Little things like the horse-mounting make the gameplay smooth, weapon switching adds replay-ability, and counters and Rage give the game added depth -- simple but fun. There are so many small improvements that fans will appreciate.

It's merely an evolutionary game and there's no stark or grand re-envisioning of Dynasty Warriors, but considering what we would expect from Omega Force and Koei, I feel that VIII is as close as we could expect of a perfecting of the core Dynasty Warriors model. It's a genuine joy for a long-time fan of the series.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well, I didn't think they would do it but they did it.

If you're full on allies, it won't recruit famous officers. In what dream world does someone say 'Yeah Guan Yu's pretty cool... But I'm not going to get rid of He Man, Hu Che Er or Zhuge Zu to get him!' Like, it shouldn't have even been a prompt. It should have automatically replaced 4 generic officers.

Was there a Japanese poll for new characters for DW8 XL? Do we have the results if that exists?

Here's the full list (from Koei Warriors):

1. 陳宮 Chen Gong - 280 votes
2. 荀彧 Xun Yu - 278 votes
3. 于禁 Yu Jin - 204 votes
4. 朱然 Zhu Ran - 151 votes
5. 程普 Cheng Pu - 123 votes
6. 陸抗 Lu Kang - 120 votes
7. 高順 Gao Shun - 90 votes
8. 王平 Wang Ping - 85 votes
9. 法正 Fa Zheng - 76 votes
10. 諸葛瑾 Zhuge Jin - 67 votes

And for bonus fun, here's the popularity polls for DW8 as well:

They did a series of questions instead of just asking your favorite character so from left to right on the tabs:

Favorite character you'll want as a silbing
Favorite character you'll want as a friend
Favorite character you'll want as a leader
Favorite character you'll want as a boyfriend
Favorite character you'll want as a girlfriend

I was very impressed by your review. The comedy part on the start did have me fear for the worst - not a fan of it, sorry - but your actual video review was very well put together. I think it covers the games very nicely. The video is very much in synch with your narration, it was very vell structured and voiced. Kudos for that. You must have spent quite some time in editing and writing. So thanks for the entertainment!

I appreciate the compliments, while I do understand that the comedy aspects do not appeal to everyone, I thank you for looking past them even though it wasn't to your tastes and still appreciating the video review. Editing wise it took me a bit. I write the review and script parts down and the try to select or retake footage as needed.

Draxal

They did a series of questions instead of just asking your favorite character so from left to right on the tabs:

That's a really really good list, fills out LuBu's roster, and it has the best Shu and Wu adds possible, and good Wei adds.

Doesn't have any female chars, but then again all female chars are just kinda random anyway; gunning for Lady Mi and Lady Bian so Shu/Wei have some early female representation.

Yawnier

Banned

Looks like Chen Gong is almost a guarantee for DW8XL then? IIRC, Guo Jia placed first in one of these polls and he got into DW7XL.

Nice to see Wang Ping rank as the highest Shu character though, I'm quite far from a Shuist but he is super under-appreciated character (IMO) and ignored by a lot of people and could add something different to Later era Shu.

MrDaravon

Man, Jiang Wei's VA is fucking terrrrrible. Like, I'm pretty used to bad english VA for DW at this point, but goddamn. When are we getting the JP voice DLC again? :(

Well, I didn't think they would do it but they did it.

If you're full on allies, it won't recruit famous officers. In what dream world does someone say 'Yeah Guan Yu's pretty cool... But I'm not going to get rid of He Man, Hu Che Er or Zhuge Zu to get him!' Like, it shouldn't have even been a prompt. It should have automatically replaced 4 generic officers.

Wait, what? I've only messed around a bit in Ambition mode, so how does that work? IIRC your fame raises the size of the Barracks right? I'm guessing that maybe you ignored fame missions or did more allies missions? I'll have to keep that in mind >_>

Cheska

Didn't even realize this came out, but I just picked it up despite not having that much experience with previous titles. I did play NEXT last year and highly enjoyed it so I'm sure this is probably just as good if not even better :D

So after playing in story mode for quite a bit now, I gotta ask, what the point of money other then buying new weapons? I think I'm missing something here. Plus I never figured out why certain weapons have stars in them like two gold stars out of 4, what does that mean?

Pro tip, always save before you complete a battle.

Just spent about 30 minutes on the Fan Castle battle for Wei story mode, just as I win the game freezes, music is playing fine but nothing is happening so I just lost all that progress.

Looks like Chen Gong is almost a guarantee for DW8XL then? IIRC, Guo Jia placed first in one of these polls and he got into DW7XL.

Yup, they got some designs of Chen Gong that could be what he'll look like in DW8XL.

Man, Jiang Wei's VA is fucking terrrrrible. Like, I'm pretty used to bad english VA for DW at this point, but goddamn. When are we getting the JP voice DLC again? :(

Dunno, I like Jiang Wei's super faux British accent. :p

So after playing in story mode for quite a bit now, I gotta ask, what the point of money other then buying new weapons? I think I'm missing something here. Plus I never figured out why certain weapons have stars in them like two gold stars out of 4, what does that mean?

In ambition mode, you can use money to buy stats for your characters. And you need money to fuse weapons. I just wish the money cap was higher since I hit it after selling off unneeded weapons.

Stars are rare versions of that level weapon. They come with fixed weapon skills and are super rare drops.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Just finished Jin's historical story mode. Not bad. I really like how Jia Chong was used in the story which surprised me since most of the other new characters weren't as featured as he was.

The last stage was kinda depressing while it was a gold mine of enemies, it was pretty much the only stage where you end up actually killing the enemy officers since none of the other kingdom modes actually go that far enough into history to do that.

ZangBa

If they add Chen Gong might as well add Gao Shun, and you pretty much have a LuBu story mode roster with Lu Bu, Diao Chan, Chen Gong, Gao Shun, and Zhang Liao.

Don't forget Zang Ba! I mean, just look at how badass he was.

Also,I think Yuan Shu is long overdue.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Didn't even realize this came out, but I just picked it up despite not having that much experience with previous titles. I did play NEXT last year and highly enjoyed it so I'm sure this is probably just as good if not even better :D

I'm pleased that I keep seeing more and more of my PSN friends playing the game. Like half of the people online at any given time have DW character avatars now. I'm rocking Zhuge Liang myself :lol

btw, if any musoubros in here want to coop some time, just PM me and we'll swap PSN info.

Sun Jian just got a new weapon that shoots sounds waves and his rage musou finisher involves letting his sword stab itself into the ground.

Sun Quan still uses the same boring sword and spins around everywhere. Hopefully next game, he'll get the Blaze Sword so at least his EX weapon isn't boring. ~_~

My Wu bias would probably come close to my Shu bias if Sun Quan wasn't so damned boring.

I'm trying to understand the appeal of Guan Yinping...decent design and all but I don't really see why people like her so much...like I'm really curious lol.

I'm trying to understand the appeal of Guan Yinping...decent design and all but I don't really see why people like her so much...like I'm really curious lol.
She's the new hotness. Wang Yuanji was #1 in DW7 polls and she was totally new.

guan yinping has a nice butt though, gotta admit to that

Top Bottom