• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

So I really don't have a clue as to what I should do with all my weapons. I've hit the maximum limit on weapons you can have twice now, something that's never happened to me in any DW game before. I thought when people were saying that the weapon system worked like in WO3, they meant I could just combine weapons freely. But the fact that you need weapon materials to combine weapons means you have to farm materials to do something as simple as weapon combining, and I'm not sure I like that. So I'm probably just going to sell anything under 2 stars or whatever, even if it means losing out on elements/abilities.

The way moving abilities between weapons works is stupid as hell too. =/ I hate that you can't pick and choose which ones you want to transfer.

The only weapons really worth holding onto are the level 3 or 4 weapons that have no weapon skills (extremely rare) or those with just one or two weapon skills that you actually want and weapons with just one or two skills you want and nothing else.

The main problem is that when adding skills onto a weapon, all the skills on the second weapon gets put on whether you want them or not. This makes it important to hold onto those that only come with the skills you want as they become great tools on adding skills to a weapon.

After you added all the skills you wanted onto a weapon, then you can go crazy and just fuse it with whatever you want as all it'll do is just give random boosts to the skills level.

It's kinda annoying and a little time consuming since you need a good base and weapons with just the skills to really get going.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The only weapons really worth holding onto are the level 3 or 4 weapons that have no weapon skills (extremely rare) or those with just one or two weapon skills that you actually want and weapons with just one or two skills you want and nothing else.

The main problem is that when adding skills onto a weapon, all the skills on the second weapon gets put on whether you want them or not. This makes it important to hold onto those that only come with the skills you want as they become great tools on adding skills to a weapon.

After you added all the skills you wanted onto a weapon, then you can go crazy and just fuse it with whatever you want as all it'll do is just give random boosts to the skills level.

It's kinda annoying and a little time consuming since you need a good base and weapons with just the skills to really get going.

Yeah, see, the thing about all this is that I have several hundred weapons here. No way am I going through them one by one and trying to determine which have the skills I want and which don't. That would take ages and frankly be boring as shit. So yeah, for now I'm just selling all of my 1 star weapons so I'll at least have a good deal of room for more weapons.

Gotta say though, this whole weapon system is dragging the game down for me just a little bit. =/

denshuu

The main thing that bums me out about the weapon system is that all the 5th weapons are Heaven type. No more giving Zhu Rong her super stylish boomerang with her super stylish daggers for backup. Unless I'm just going to be at a disadvantage for 1/3rd of the fights.

Are all of the DLC weapons heaven type too?

Yeah, see, the thing about all this is that I have several hundred weapons here. No way am I going through them one by one and trying to determine which have the skills I want and which don't. That would take ages and frankly be boring as shit. So yeah, for now I'm just selling all of my 1 star weapons so I'll at least have a good deal of room for more weapons.

Gotta say though, this whole weapon system is dragging the game down for me just a little bit. =/

I guess it's just been a habit of mine to clear through the new stock of weapons I have after every battle.

The main thing that bums me out about the weapon system is that all the 5th weapons are Heaven type. No more giving Zhu Rong her super stylish boomerang with her super stylish daggers for backup. Unless I'm just going to be at a disadvantage for 1/3rd of the fights.

Are all of the DLC weapons heaven type too?

I believe the joke weapons are at least not heaven type. Not so sure about the 6th weapons.

Okay question. How do i go about getting level 1 star weapons and level 3 star weapons? Anyone know, I'm trying to figure it out so i can work on getting my Weapon Trophy.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I guess it's just been a habit of mine to clear through the new stock of weapons I have after every battle.

See, at first I didn't worry about that since I didn't think I'd be hitting the weapon limit so soon. Then I figured I'd just get my Blacksmith up to Lv. 30 and I'd just temper everything together, not realizing that that requires weapon materials, which means lots and lots of grinding. =/

Okay question. How do i go about getting level 1 star weapons and level 3 star weapons? Anyone know, I'm trying to figure it out so i can work on getting my Weapon Trophy.

Two ways:

1. Completely by chance through random drops from officers.
2. Buy it from the Blacksmith after you upgraded it enough times through I believe the "Special Weapon" option. People have said that the star weapons appear through there but I haven't tested it out yet to be sure.

I've had good luck getting them to appear on Ambition mode, especially after I do consecutive battles a few times in a row.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The Wei campaign disappointed me with regards to Lu Bu. He is this unstoppable super warrior until the mission you have to fight him and he gets hard core nerfed.

No kidding. I went from being 2HKO to killing him five seconds into a True Rage attack. I remember him being way harder to kill at Xiapi in previous games.

Is there a sure date on the DLC for Japanese VA?
the silence in the camp is too deafening at this point -__-

semi off topic

Why Is buying outfits and outfit components so dang addictive in DW7E's?

I'm creating characters from Blade of the Immortal in my caw list, and thought the starting equipment was a bit limited, then found stuff to improve all my characters in the clothing store.. being able to download other peoples uploaded CAWs is actually pretty nice, I found a good Kenshin Caw online, and a Gatsu CAw, i'm going to try to make a better one..

I wish there was a DW7E OT, but it;d probably only be emptier :(

2. Buy it from the Blacksmith after you upgraded it enough times through I believe the "Special Weapon" option. People have said that the star weapons appear through there but I haven't tested it out yet to be sure.

They do but you're liable to spend a lot of money to get the weapons you want.

Is there a sure date on the DLC for Japanese VA?
the silence in the camp is too deafening at this point -__-

semi off topic

Why Is buying outfits and outfit components so dang addictive in DW7E's?

I'm creating characters from Blade of the Immortal in my caw list, and thought the starting equipment was a bit limited, then found stuff to improve all my characters in the clothing store.. being able to download other peoples uploaded CAWs is actually pretty nice, I found a good Kenshin Caw online, and a Gatsu CAw, i'm going to try to make a better one..

I wish there was a DW7E OT, but it;d probably only be emptier :(

They said they submitted it at least on the EU side just recently, so I guess it'll take some time or something. Dunno how DLC submitting works.

There is a DW7E OT (I made it), it's just been tossed into Gaming Community since it somehow lasted long enough to get tossed into it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Is it me, or do they change some of the pronunciations on these names like, every game?

It feels like this time around, they didn't specifically instruct the VAs to go with a particular pronunciation and some decided to stick with the DW7 pronunciations while others reverted to the older ones. What I wouldn't give to hear someone say Cow Cow again.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think he got a bit of an odd pronunciation this time.

The one that bothered me was Lu Meng, who they decided to pronounce as Lu MONG.

I'm sure that the DW7 names are probably the closest to the correct pronunciations of all of the games (I don't speak a lick of Chinese, though), but some of them were just......wtf? I was especially weirded out by what certain "i" sounds became, like Lianshi = Lianshur, Chibi = Churbee, Taishi Ci "Taishuh Tsuh", etc.

I'm sure that the DW7 names are probably the closest to the correct pronunciations of all of the games (I don't speak a lick of Chinese, though), but some of them were just......wtf? I was especially weirded out by what certain "i" sounds became, like Lianshi = Lianshur, Chibi = Churbee, Taishi Ci "Taishuh Tsuh", etc.

Yeah, Taishi Ci really got fucked over. I didn't even know what the VA was trying to say at first.

This sounds hysterical.

They said they submitted it at least on the EU side just recently, so I guess it'll take some time or something. Dunno how DLC submitting works.

There is a DW7E OT (I made it), it's just been tossed into Gaming Community since it somehow lasted long enough to get tossed into it.

thats why i couldn't find it in gaming >__<

going there now!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Completed Jin's story mode earlier this morning and spent most of the day having a blast in Ambition Mode. Quick question, are we stuck with only having one slot for a bodyguard or can you unlock more as you progress?

Hehehe I know the places are Chinese names but the fact that I read lines like:
"The fields of Shiting" etc makes me giggle XD

Oh and the battle is called:
"Battle of Shiting"

Giolon

I'm a little bit bummed out that the story modes aren't as comprehensive as they were in DW7 (which is what I really started playing with, discounting DW2 way back in the day), but I guess that for long time DW fans it probably isn't necessary. I do feel like if I hadn't played DW7, I wouldn't have a clue as to what's going on, who's doing what or why. I do appreciate the hypothetical scenarios and branching paths that they added. It makes the campaigns a bit more replayable.

I also miss the loose structure and sense of progress of Conquest Mode. I don't really see how Free Mode is supposed to be better. I haven't dived into Ambition mode yet.

All-in-all, I'm having a hell of a lot of fun with this release. The combat improvements are nice, and it's hard to overstate how much little things like being able to auto-mount your horse when you call it add to the flow of the game.

I didn't like Lianshi's redesign at first, but I think her new outfit fits in a lot better with the styles of the other characters than her old one, even if it does mean she doesn't have that amazing high ponytail anymore. Her crossbow still feels overpowered, but not as bad as it was in the Vita version.

Yawnier

Banned
Finally, I'm back and am about to start Story Mode.

Which kingdom is best to start first? I'm assuming Shu since they start first chronologically, but I wouldn't mind advice from people who already finished story/musou mode.

qAZfRV9.jpg
Hehehe *v*

ZangBa

Which kingdom is best to start first? I'm assuming Shu since they start first chronologically, but I wouldn't mind advice from people who already finished story/musou mode.

Personally, I like going Wei > Wu > Shu > Jin. Shu > Jin goes really well.

It's kinda hard to say if you are looking at it chronologically.

From where it starts it's: Shu > Wei > Wu > Jin

But where it ends, it is: Wei > Wu > Shu > Jin

So, just pick whoever you want to play as first.

hamchan

Yeah those are all accurate pronunciations lol.

Anyways, finally finished downloading this game after leaving my PS3 on for 48 hours. 19 GB download is no joke.

Pretty hyped to play it after Jim Sterling called it the best since DW3.

Man, I wish I remember all the character names for romance of the three kingdoms, but the only thing id like to see added is a higher abundance of other characters. A bunch of what if campaigns for Yuan Shao seems almost necessary, same with Dong Zhuo, Lu Bu, and even the Yellow Turbans could all be easily put in.

Also, I wish they had the balls to put in crazy Sun Quan. Some of the shit he did was awesome

What did crazy sun quan do?

Also this is the first dw game I've played since dw4.. I was surprised when I saw yuan shao and how flamboyant he has become haha

So what characters are actually really good?

So far I think Xu Shu and Wen Yang have very good movesets.

I'm really disappointed in Li Dian, he seems way too weak

What are some of the best overall characters/weapons/movesets?

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I haven't really explored most of the characters in depth yet, but I adore playing as Dian Wei in this just because his weapon change gives him a temporary 2x attack boost, which is incredibly easy to abuse.

Necrovex

It's been a long while since I played a DW game (since 6!), and I keep seeing people mentioning Jin as a kingdom. Who the hell is Jin? I'm pretty sure they weren't a kingdom during 6, and I don't recall the name.

Shadow780

It's been a long while since I played a DW game (since 6!), and I keep seeing people mentioning Jin as a kingdom. Who the hell is Jin? I'm pretty sure they weren't a kingdom during 6, and I don't recall the name.

Jin (built by the Sima clan) overtook Wei rule and unified the Three Kingdoms later.

Giolon

Wang Yi MURDERS other officers w/ her Air Musou, and her EX is great for pushing through large crowds.

Sun Quan seems pretty good too. I love the crowd clearing of his EX.

Lianshi crossbow still feels OP, and while her Musou and Air Musou are pretty good crowd clearers, she lacks a good Officer-killer. Her Storm Rush is weak too.

With the right weapon skills, Wang Yuanji murders everything with throwing knives.

Out of the new guys:

Li Dian: A little too everywhere with the wheel attacks. Though his C1 is basically instant storm rushing.

Yue Jing: Another fly everywhere which while great in crowds kinda makes it hard for him to really land moves on officers.

Han Dang: I like his gimmick of charging up the moves and he does clear a good area around him.

Lu Su: Good range, though it does feel like his moves lack something.

Guan Xing: Another great against crowds. His EX isn't so bad against crowds, it's just with him flying everywhere you aren't so sure if you are doing it correctly.

Guan Yinping: Haven't really used her yet.

Zhang Bao: I like his later charges, since it has good range and damage. His first musou is ass though.

Jia Chong: His musou feels pretty weak and while his moves are cool looking, I feel like there are blind spots in his throwing.

Wen Yang: He gets shadow rush. That's pretty much makes him awesome from the get go.

Zhang Chunhua: Super stylish. Her EX is absolutely great.

Drewfonse

Forgive a question that's probably been asked a million times, but is the slow down as troublesome on the 360 as I've heard? Patch in sight?

Giolon

Forgive a question that's probably been asked a million times, but is the slow down as troublesome on the 360 as I've heard? Patch in sight?

360 slowdown is pretty bad. Koei did announce that they're working on a patch but no word of when it'll be ready.

Top Bottom