• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Oh man, this cutscene before Wei's Guandu stage.

"hmm."

"hmmm."

"hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm."

"hmm."

Dynasty Warriors 8 is the highest new entry this week at five, the long-running series’ fourth best launch week after Dynasty Warriors 6, 7 and Dynasty Warriors 5 – Empires, says ChartTrack.
[1. The Last of Us (-22%)
2. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (+20%)
3. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros (-8%)
4. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (-9%)
5. Dynasty Warriors 8
6. Far Cry 3 (+4%)
7. Max Payne 3 (+135%)
8. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary Edition
9. FIFA 13
10. Tomb Raider (-1-%)/quote]
http://m.edge-online.com/news/uk-charts-the-last-of-us-claims-its-sixth-number-one/
Not bad =), glad Dynasty Warriors 8 is doing alright in the UK.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
And for bonus fun, here's the popularity polls for DW8 as well:

They did a series of questions instead of just asking your favorite character so from left to right on the tabs:

Favorite character you'll want as a silbing
Favorite character you'll want as a friend
Favorite character you'll want as a leader
Favorite character you'll want as a boyfriend
Favorite character you'll want as a girlfriend

Wang Yi is lower than Cai Wenji and Bao Sanniang? Boooooo!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Isn't DW pretty big in the UK, though? Figured that'd be why it's biggest fansite is based in the UK, and all of Tecmo Koei's PR for it comes from their UK side.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Isn't DW pretty big in the UK, though? Figured that'd be why it's biggest fansite is based in the UK, and all of Tecmo Koei's PR for it comes from their UK side.

Kinda.

The UK Game market isn't as big as it once was. The fact that Dynasty Warriors 8 hasn't even sold 10k in the UK is very disappointing but not surprising at all.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
ugh, I'm at Tong Gate in the Wei story mode and I can not get the ram to start moving again after I use the catapults to take out the final two ballistae at the final gate. This is stupidly frustrating.

decided to sell this off, just could not get into it at all. not the dynasty warriors i knew and loved back in the ps2 days :|

maybe i'll try it again once it falls to ~20 bucks

ugh, I'm at Tong Gate in the Wei story mode and I can not get the ram to start moving again after I use the catapults to take out the final two ballistae at the final gate. This is stupidly frustrating.

You might have to lead them there or make sure the NPC guys actually move into the next area instead of fighting random Unit Commanders.

Hystzen

Kinda.

The UK Game market isn't as big as it once was. The fact that Dynasty Warriors 8 hasn't even sold 10k in the UK is very disappointing but not surprising at all.

We have no stores that even sell the game, whats left of HMV does not get latest games and GAME is just selling at RRP. I love my Dynasty games but not paying RRP for them I will have to order from Amazon when I can

Playing the game and admittedly the A.I. is quite buggy or maybe it's more to do with Zhang Liao on Chi Bi lol, like the Japanese version video I saw XD
But was fighting Zhang Liao on Chi Bi, got his health down and then he just stood there not attacking at all XD

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You might have to lead them there or make sure the NPC guys actually move into the next area instead of fighting random Unit Commanders.

Both good suggestions, but I finally figured it out. You apparently have to destroy the final gate itself with the catapult too. Not terribly intuitive considering that you spend the latter half of the level destroying ballistae so that the ram can continue advancing.

Playing the game and admittedly the A.I. is quite buggy or maybe it's more to do with Zhang Liao on Chi Bi lol, like the Japanese version video I saw XD
But was fighting Zhang Liao on Chi Bi, got his health down and then he just stood there not attacking at all XD

Zhang Liao is just bad at corners. I dislike the horse AI at times too, taking too long to come to me due to a wall or a corner and could end up walking in front of me while I'm fighting the enemy just after I get off of it for no good reason.

Not attacking back could also be due to a weapon skill ability. Fear or Awe could cause them to just stand there maybe. I did find it annoying though since I wanted them to attack me at times so I could switch counter kill them and get the Comeback Kid Trophy.

Both good suggestions, but I finally figured it out. You apparently have to destroy the final gate itself with the catapult too. Not terribly intuitive considering that you spend the latter half of the level destroying ballistae so that the ram can continue advancing.

Ah yeah, I remember that.

I had that issue with another general too. i actually stood there for a bit waiting for him to attack lol.

I was torn over this after being disappointed by DW7, but all the positive impressions have convinced me to jump in. Game arrived in the mail today. Only thing that's stopping me from booting it up right now is the upcoming twin fans DLC of all the ridiculous things. I know I'll end up using them on one of my mains (likely Da Qiao), so I'm half tempted to wait for their release rather than racking up 100+ hours on the game and losing most of my interest beforehand.

Jarate

Banned
Man, I wish I remember all the character names for romance of the three kingdoms, but the only thing id like to see added is a higher abundance of other characters. A bunch of what if campaigns for Yuan Shao seems almost necessary, same with Dong Zhuo, Lu Bu, and even the Yellow Turbans could all be easily put in.

Also, I wish they had the balls to put in crazy Sun Quan. Some of the shit he did was awesome

Hystzen

The only things they need start adding roster wise is late kingdom officers to give the Jin story a boost.

oh and Yuan Shu he needs a hilarious design

The only things they need start adding roster wise is late kingdom officers to give the Jin story a boost.

It's only late Wu that they really need to add.

Late Shu has Jiang Wei, Liu Shan, the Guan kids that aren't dead, Ma Dai that seems to live forever and Yueying who also never dies.

Late Wu has Ding Feng and zombie Lian Shi.

Hystzen

It's only late Wu that they really need to add.

Late Shu has Jiang Wei, Liu Shan, the Guan kids that aren't dead, Ma Dai that seems to live forever and Yueying who also never dies.

Late Wu has Ding Feng and zombie Lian Shi.

The issue with Wu is how quickly they kept changing leaders due to internal bickering but yeah just hate how most of Jin is fighting same main officers or generic faceless ones. Be nice expand it more but no doubt we get more Guan kids next title

The issue with Wu is how quickly they kept changing leaders due to internal bickering but yeah just hate how most of Jin is fighting same main officers or generic faceless ones. Be nice expand it more but no doubt we get more Guan kids next title

Wu only changed leaders because they kept biting the dust I believe.

I think we're out of Guan kids to add in. Sure, they could add in Guan grandchildren or Zhuge kids I guess, lol.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Trying to get the star for the Battle of Jieting and I'm having no luck. I've read that you need to defeat the enemy officers quickly before reaching Ma Su, which I've done multiple times yet nothing happens. Any thoughts or tricks on getting it done?

ZhugeEX

Banned
We have no stores that even sell the game, whats left of HMV does not get latest games and GAME is just selling at RRP. I love my Dynasty games but not paying RRP for them I will have to order from Amazon when I can

You must have missed the GAME Price glitch.

For the first week of pre order DW8 was £30. Then it shot back up to £40. So i was quite lucky to get it so cheap.

Reknoc

sounds like a southern problem :smug:

though surely there has to be a smaller chain/indie store that stocks it around you?

Draxal

I think early ROTK could be fleshed out with Yuan Shao's generals; Yuan Shu and Lu Bu's generals.

So what are the chances of a new Dynasty Warriors Gundam game implementing the features of DW8?

It seems like a no-brainer, given their love of sequels. Except for the fact that Bandai has pretty much pulled out of distribution outside of Japan.

They had rebellions and assassinations, Sun Quans sons where kind of dicks really but it could be interesting if they want to expand Wu story

Ahhh, I must have missed that. I'm all up for them expanding the Wu storyline...I'm sort of biased toward Wu, it's my favorite faction.

Sakura

So what are the chances of a new Dynasty Warriors Gundam game implementing the features of DW8?

It seems like a no-brainer, given their love of sequels. Except for the fact that Bandai has pretty much pulled out of distribution outside of Japan.

Are they going to do another Gundam one? Before they were releasing them every 1.5~2 years, but it's been almost 3 years since the last Gundam Musou and we haven't heard anything. The games sold pretty good didn't they? I hope they are working on another one.

Are they going to do another Gundam one? Before they were releasing them every 1.5~2 years, but it's been almost 3 years since the last Gundam Musou and we haven't heard anything. The games sold pretty good didn't they? I hope they are working on another one.

I'm dying for another one, but Gundam-anything being released outside of Japan has been pretty murky since Bandai closed down their U.S. division. The Mobile Suit Gundam Origin manga has been like, the only thing being released, and that's being published by Vertical.

It seems One Piece has been tneir new focus for Musou games, aside from the main DW series. As much as I like them branching out and engulfing new franchises into DW-style games, I'm losing hope for a new DW Gundam at tbis point.

So I gave in and bought DW7:E.

So far I'm not too sure how long I'll stick with it. I chose the first scenario and already I'm missing DW8.

Disappointed that raising troops doesn't give you actual troops it seems.

I'm going to play it a bit longer and give it a chance to see if I will end up liking it.

*Crosses fingers for DW8:Empires*

So far I'm not too sure how long I'll stick with it. I chose the first scenario and already I'm missing DW8.

I'm going to play it a bit longer and give it a chance to see if I will end up liking it.

*Crosses fingers for DW8:Empires*
I just caved and bought it today too :(

I'm waiting for it to download watching a thai horror flick I've been neglecting, hoping the create a warrior mode give me hours of fun, creating heroes and villains to run into in the game. 8 empired will come, whether it'll be a physical English VA release is the question :(

Finished Wu's Hypothetical Story mode.

That was fun, really nice to see such a wide range of characters that I could use and basically use the whole Sun family again.

Man, they are really paralleling Cao Cao with Nobunaga here. Have him walk away in a burning temple/castle.

I think I just got one or two stars left from the Hypothetical story left to do before going with Wei's Hypothetical story mode.

Oh man, the ending song for the Hypothetical story mode is just beautiful.

Okay, Empires demo was garbage to me, but I'm enjoying the game quite a bit. I made 10 CAWS to start with and spent more time than I thought I would on it :p
Just the right amount of strategy and difficulty, I'm actually enjoying it and looking forward to playing more after work!

Finished Wu's Hypothetical Story mode.

That was fun, really nice to see such a wide range of characters that I could use and basically use the whole Sun family again.

Man, they are really paralleling Cao Cao with Nobunaga here. Have him walk away in a burning temple/castle.

I think I just got one or two stars left from the Hypothetical story left to do before going with Wei's Hypothetical story mode.

Oh man, the ending song for the Hypothetical story mode is just beautiful.

Agreed, I wasn't expecting it, and it was cool to see the clan of Wu bring it all together, I'm looking forward to seeing how the Shu do it!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I was torn over this after being disappointed by DW7, but all the positive impressions have convinced me to jump in. Game arrived in the mail today. Only thing that's stopping me from booting it up right now is the upcoming twin fans DLC of all the ridiculous things. I know I'll end up using them on one of my mains (likely Da Qiao), so I'm half tempted to wait for their release rather than racking up 100+ hours on the game and losing most of my interest beforehand.

There are a set of blades available that are already similar to the fans, with the same type of "flying techniques" from before. :)

So while I still need to go back and do the hypothetical Wu missions, I started the Wei story and thought I could take out Lu Bu. I thought I could, because I hacked off about one-fifth of his life bar and was like "he's not so bad". Two hits later I'm staring at "Defeat".

NeonZ

If your forces have more troops going into a battle, you'll start with more bases occupied.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I really don't have a clue as to what I should do with all my weapons. I've hit the maximum limit on weapons you can have twice now, something that's never happened to me in any DW game before. I thought when people were saying that the weapon system worked like in WO3, they meant I could just combine weapons freely. But the fact that you need weapon materials to combine weapons means you have to farm materials to do something as simple as weapon combining, and I'm not sure I like that. So I'm probably just going to sell anything under 2 stars or whatever, even if it means losing out on elements/abilities.

The way moving abilities between weapons works is stupid as hell too. =/ I hate that you can't pick and choose which ones you want to transfer.

Mrbob

So while I still need to go back and do the hypothetical Wu missions, I started the Wei story and thought I could take out Lu Bu. I thought I could, because I hacked off about one-fifth of his life bar and was like "he's not so bad". Two hits later I'm staring at "Defeat".

The Wei campaign disappointed me with regards to Lu Bu. He is this unstoppable super warrior until the mission you have to fight him and he gets hard core nerfed.

Top Bottom