• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Yawnier

Banned
It's kinda hard to say if you are looking at it chronologically.

From where it starts it's: Shu > Wei > Wu > Jin

But where it ends, it is: Wei > Wu > Shu > Jin

So, just pick whoever you want to play as first.

I went with the order starting with Wei, so far so good.

My comments/impressions so far:

- The tutorial was alright, I don't see the need for four of them though as they are all very similar (or so I was told, I only played the Wei one).

- The game does feel like DW7.5 in a sense that certain lines are reused and that some movesets from DW7 are almost exactly the same. Graphically, not a big jump either and it reminds me of the gap between DW4 and DW5. There is a lot of content, movesets, characters to choose here though, damn.

- Yue Jin is my favorite character to play as so far, Cao Ren with his shield isn't too bad either (at about 5 or 6 stages in). Li Dian I'm not too fond off since I found his EX moveset is fairly low damage, maybe he just needs to be leveled up more at this point?

- No narrator this time around is awkward at times, but I don't mind the fact there are no camp voices since I skip through the text quickly anyways.

That is about it so far.

hamchan

Yue Jin is pretty awesome. Doing a backflip with square button after doing his charge attacks, so you can keep the combo flowing, is pretty fun.

How does everyone else feel so far about the additions to combat? (At least I think they're new, I typically just play WO and SW)

I dislike having the two different sets of weapons. While many can argue it gives more options, there's plenty enough characters as it is, and I feel their main weapon set is sufficient enough. I don't care for this, "This enemy office is strong against your default weapon!" garbage.

Also what's up with the green charge attacks? That's outside the main attacks of the past and I feel it's just another unnecessary mechanic.

The air musous are pretty cool, don't think many had that in the Warriors Orochi games.

Astarte

- The tutorial was alright, I don't see the need for four of them though as they are all very similar (or so I was told, I only played the Wei one).

Only reason to do the tutorial four times is for the trophy. It's the exact same thing four different times, and those HUGE dialog boxes don't help the monotony.

Can you start playing as Lu Bu straight away?

Nope. I unlocked him almost immediately by playing ambition mode, though.

I went with the order starting with Wei, so far so good.

My comments/impressions so far:

- The game does feel like DW7.5 in a sense that certain lines are reused and that some movesets from DW7 are almost exactly the same. Graphically, not a big jump either and it reminds me of the gap between DW4 and DW5. There is a lot of content, movesets, characters to choose here though, damn.

- Yue Jin is my favorite character to play as so far, Cao Ren with his shield isn't too bad either (at about 5 or 6 stages in). Li Dian I'm not too fond off since I found his EX moveset is fairly low damage, maybe he just needs to be leveled up more at this point?

- No narrator this time around is awkward at times, but I don't mind the fact there are no camp voices since I skip through the text quickly anyways.

That is about it so far.

Yeah, just do all the tutorials for each kingdom and forget they ever exist afterwards.

I would say Li Dian's C1 is amazing for charging into Storm Rush.

How does everyone else feel so far about the additions to combat? (At least I think they're new, I typically just play WO and SW)

I dislike having the two different sets of weapons. While many can argue it gives more options, there's plenty enough characters as it is, and I feel their main weapon set is sufficient enough. I don't care for this, "This enemy office is strong against your default weapon!" garbage.

Also what's up with the green charge attacks? That's outside the main attacks of the past and I feel it's just another unnecessary mechanic.

The air musous are pretty cool, don't think many had that in the Warriors Orochi games.

It's completely optional for you to use anything besides a character's EX weapon. And, I like the whole weapon advantage system since it gives a strategic element instead of destorying everything as quickly as you can.

What green charge attack? Storm Rush? Which basically gives you a free strong move?

No one had air musous in the WO games.

Can you start playing as Lu Bu straight away?

Either unlock him in Ambition mode which only lets you play him in Ambition mode or unlock his story stage by beating Wei's Battle of Xiapi and completing that.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

I don't dislike the two weapon system in concept, but I don't much care for characters using weapons other than their EX/"main" weapon, either. The way I get around this is that I just equip both slots with a character's main weapon, just of different affinities. So like, I'll have Zhao Yun equipped with a Dragon Spear in both slots, one with Man affinity, and one with Earth affinity.

I'm not sure what you mean about "green" charge attacks, though. You mean EX moves? 'Cause I love those.

I don't dislike the two weapon system in concept, but I don't much care for characters using weapons other than their EX/"main" weapon, either. The way I get around this is that I just equip both slots with a character's main weapon, just of different affinities. So like, I'll have Zhao Yun equipped with a Dragon Spear in both slots, one with Man affinity, and one with Earth affinity.

I'm not sure what you mean about "green" charge attacks, though. You mean EX moves? 'Cause I love those.

Cool I haven't played it enough yet to realize you could put two of the same weapon in there with different abilities. That's neat.

As for the charge attack I mention, they did it in the tutorial where you press Triangle to counter, whatever that's called. Just seemed Kinda meh that it's even a thing.

Any tips for combo-ing in to an air musou? For any character. I've been campaigning and haven't found anyone who can.

I remember in the other DW games you could hold special attack after the fourth regular attack and you'd launch yourself and the enemy. I don't recall that working any more?

Any tips for combo-ing in to an air musou? For any character. I've been campaigning and haven't found anyone who can.

I remember in the other DW games you could hold special attack after the fourth regular attack and you'd launch yourself and the enemy. I don't recall that working any more?

Most 5th charge moves usually end up launching the enemies into the air instead of yourself but some do.

For example:
- Gloves
- Charged Short Pike
- Arm Blade
- Bow and Rod
- I think Siege Spear
- Staff
- Iron Fan
- Sword and Shield

Some character's EX also launches them into the air where you can whip out an air musou from there. Xiahou Ba's, Wang Yuanji's, Zhang He's and Zhao Yun's leaves them into the air afterwards.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

I believe this feature was changed in 5 (your fourth charge would generally launch the opponent, but you would not ascend with them). I haven't played the games before 4, but I do know that 4 had it.

Game just got a 15 meg update on PS3 with a fix for collision issues in a certain stage and evidently there were problems with the in game messaging system that were corrected.

Back to messing around with Jia Xu!

Yawnier

Banned
Cao Pi with his DW5 moveset (no longer a clone of Liu Bei, yay!) and Guo Jia are both fun to play as too.

I'm also guessing I'm near finished the Wei story mode already since I'm at
the Battle of Hefei.

Aizo

Banned
Nice OT, dakku! Out of the new characters, who does everyone like most? Also, what is the recommended way for the most efficient leveling?

This will probably be my first DW since DW3 on PS2- i've had the itch recently to play some of this, and figure waiting for the newest one can't be a bad thing.

Oh shit. I'm in the same boat. I just bought this last night and haven't purchased any DW main entry series since DW3. It's a load of fun.

Do you get to play as Wang Yi in the Wei campaign? I'm playing through that now, and I'm looking forward to playing as her.

She is one of the reasons I bought this. She's my favorite for sure. I played her in WO3, and I thought she was incredibly fun.

Yawnier

Banned
Oh shit. I'm in the same boat. I just bought this last night and haven't purchased any DW main entry series since DW3. It's a load of fun.

Nice OT! Out of the new characters, who does everyone like most?

Yue Jin so far (dual hookblades moveset is crazy). I have yet to play Wu, Shu, and Jin story modes though.

Aizo

Banned
Yue Jin so far (dual hookblades moveset is crazy). I have yet to play Wu, Shu, and Jin story modes though.

Yue Jin is my favorite so far, too, but I need to try out a few more. The dual hookblades crowd control capabilities are ridiculous.

Nice OT, dakku! Out of the new characters, who does everyone like most? Also, what is the recommended way for the most efficient leveling?

Zhang Chunhua just for all the stylish points with her weapon. And Lu Su cause he uses a rake.

For leveling, level up the Quick Learner skill helps. I think there are some stages where you have infinite reinforcements where you can easily level up with, but you level up pretty quickly in the game though.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Holy shit they nerfed Lianshi to hell, didn't they? =/

EDIT: Yep, just failed a stage for the first time using her. She's slow and awful now. Damn. =/

Compared to which game?

The crossbow got the whole past C4's fire elemental that it saw in WO3 I believe. And C4's damage is pretty insane as well.

It's still slow but it does retain the speed boost after a switch attack to it.

For leveling, level up the Quick Learner skill helps. I think there are some stages where you have infinite reinforcements where you can easily level up with, but you level up pretty quickly in the game though.

If you build the Academy to max level in Ambition mode you can buy scrolls that'll level your characters instantly.

A few hundred grand could bump somebody up about 50 or so levels.

Yawnier

Banned
Well, I finished Wei story mode. Not bad
(I loved the casual interaction between Guo Jia and Jia Xu)
aside from a few historical inaccuracies I noticed here and there Wei was good, but hey Omega Force gonna Omega Force.

Just started Wu story mode a few hours ago, and man oh man it seems they just almost skip over Sun Jian and Sun Ce this time around compared to their presence in DW7. Ugh.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Well, I finished Wei story mode. Not bad
(I loved the casual interaction between Guo Jia and Jia Xu)
aside from a few historical inaccuracies I noticed here and there Wei was good, but hey Omega Force gonna Omega Force.

Just started Wu story mode a few hours ago, and man oh man it seems they just almost skip over Sun Jian and Sun Ce this time around compared to their presence in DW7. Ugh.

The general moral of Wu's story mode is "history shits all over Wu, also everyone dies".

Seriously, Wu gets fucked so hard. :lol I'm not even done with Wu yet and already
Sun Jian, Sun Ce, Zhou Yu, Taishi Ci, and Lu Su
have already bit the dust (is it actually spoilers if it happened nearly two thousand years ago? :lol).

Also when did Gan Ning get so amazing? He's SO AWESOME now. His new moveset is badass.

Giolon

EDIT: Yep, just failed a stage for the first time using her. She's slow and awful now. Damn. =/

What level are you? I'm level 27 and using a 3 star Crossbow and she's still mowing shit down like nuts. Granted, she's not as OP as she was in Dynasty Warriors NEXT, but I'm having no problems. Her only real weaknesses in my experience is that her Musou attacks are not very good Officer killers and her Storm Rush is relatively weak. But holy god can she clear her way through crowds.

Accuracy, Mighty Roar, Havoc, and Musou Springs are what I run skill-wise on her.

Yawnier

Banned
The general moral of Wu's story mode is "history shits all over Wu, also everyone dies".

Seriously, Wu gets fucked so hard. :lol I'm not even done with Wu yet and already
Sun Jian, Sun Ce, Zhou Yu, Taishi Ci, and Lu Su
have already bit the dust (is it actually spoilers if it happened nearly two thousand years ago? :lol).

Also when did Gan Ning get so amazing? He's SO AWESOME now. His new moveset is badass.

Tell me about it, only 3 or 4 stages in and I'm already at Chibi, lmao.

If I were to guess right now, the rest of Wu's story mode is going to have a very heavy influence on Sun Quan (again). Which should be expected, but I find him to be such a boring, dull, uncharismatic, and monotonous ruler.

Late era (post era year 240) Quan is really interesting though, but it will almost guaranteed be ignored

Sima Shi: "All of your castles belong to us!".

I wonder if that wording is supposed to be intentional or just a coincidence.

Also, why is Shi so good? His new rapier weapon/moveset is godlike.

That's pretty much the norm with Wu's story. Here's all these cool dudes and watch them die one by one.

Sima Shi: "All of your castles belong to us!".

I wonder if that wording is supposed to be intentional or just a coincidence.

Also, why is Shi so good? His new rapier weapon/moveset is godlike.

I was amused when he said that too.

His weapon was even better when it was a DLC weapon in DW7. They actually nerfed it.

I'd love for them to have just a little more focus on the Sun Jian/Sun Ce eras...Quan is pretty boring as a whole, I can't stand the guy and even his movelist is pretty boring.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Two questions about the weapon collector trophy:
  • Do I need Heaven/Earth/Man versions of each weapon in the game to get it?
  • Do I have to have every weapon in the game in my inventory at once in order to get it? I really hope I can just dump all of my lv1/2 weapons when I start getting 3/4.

I really wish that there were options to sort weapons by affinity and price in the game.

Eventually Omega Force is gonna have to make up some Wu characters that'll hang around Sun Quan in the hopes that some of their charisma will rub off on him.

It's also funny how in the alternate Wu storyline
Sun Quan keeps trying to give the kingdom back to his father/brother

What a loser.

Yawnier

Banned
I'd love for them to have just a little more focus on the Sun Jian/Sun Ce eras...Quan is pretty boring as a whole, I can't stand the guy and even his movelist is pretty boring.

I just about died when you were forced to play as him for an absurd amount of stages (5 or 6, while other characters were ignored like Zhou Tai) in DW7.

Dear lord, the Bow and Rod is like the most amazing weapon ever.

Truly, if any character has it as a 4 star alt to their ex, it doesn't matter what else if there they are picking that.

I have to say I almost never used weapon switching in 7, but with the M/H/E system I'm actually really enjoying it now. Maybe I'm misremembering but did they buff the switch attacks, or made them faster or something?

So question for Wu's story spoilers:
So I saved Sun Ce's life in my Wu story mode, is he suppose to reappear in any stages? Or just comments he and there saying he's alive?

So I saved Sun Ce's life in my Wu story mode, is he suppose to reappear in any stages? Or just comments he and there saying he's alive?

I haven't done this for the Wu story yet, but if it's anything like the Wei story it'll probably figure in once you hit the
hypothetical
route.

Two questions about the weapon collector trophy:
  • Do I need Heaven/Earth/Man versions of each weapon in the game to get it?
  • Do I have to have every weapon in the game in my inventory at once in order to get it? I really hope I can just dump all of my lv1/2 weapons when I start getting 3/4.

I really wish that there were options to sort weapons by affinity and price in the game.

I believe but not 100% sure, that you just need to fill out the weapons portion in the gallery. So just getting the weapon once should be enough and should be the way the game keeps track of this.

Truly, if any character has it as a 4 star alt to their ex, it doesn't matter what else if there they are picking that.

I have to say I almost never used weapon switching in 7, but with the M/H/E system I'm actually really enjoying it now. Maybe I'm misremembering but did they buff the switch attacks, or made them faster or something?

Maybe. Some probably did get buffed.

He only reappears in the Hypothetical path of Wu's story. Can't have someone technically dead and who has a death cutscene appear in the Historical Route!

I haven't done this for the Wu story yet, but if it's anything like the Wei story it'll probably figure in once you hit the
hypothetical
route.

He only reappears in the Hypothetical path of Wu's story. Can't have someone technically dead and who has a death cutscene appear in the Historical Route!

But I got to the battles where Wu
hypothetically stopped Shu becoming a third kingdom XD and had the final battle with Cao Pi
. I guess I'll keep going for the other hypothetical battles in Wu, but gonna play Wei now.... My Cao Cao defeated Lu Bu XD, stormrush is quite OP but makes fighting officer faster at least =P

Playing through the Shu campaign and got enough stars to move to the "hypothetical" section. I'm torn on continuing with it without playing through the original first. It's stupid, I know, because I know very well how it plays out. But still. It's nagging me right now.

Also putting work into ambition mode. Still don't quite have a feel for it yet though, and it says I'm 68% towards getting the emperor (or something). But I barely have any of the generals, so it's confusing me. And is there a way to speed level generals? Because starting at one every time I unlock someone new is getting a little tiring.

Just noticed a localisation error in the weapon attributes. 'Aggression' is used to refer to both the skill that increases attack when both weapons share the same affinity and the skill that increases musou attack power.

But I got to the battles where Wu
hypothetically stopped Shu becoming a third kingdom XD and had the final battle with Cao Pi
. I guess I'll keep going for the other hypothetical battles in Wu, but gonna play Wei now.... My Cao Cao defeated Lu Bu XD, stormrush is quite OP but makes fighting officer faster at least =P

That actually isn't the end for the hypothetical route for Wu but instead the historical route.

Just noticed a localisation error in the weapon attributes. 'Aggression' is used to refer to both the skill that increases attack when both weapons share the same affinity and the skill that increases musou attack power.

Yeah, kinda annoying since one of the Aggressions is actually useful while the other isn't so much.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Man, I didn't get any of the stars toward unlocking the Wei hypothetical route on my first playthrough. I have a lot of replaying ahead of me.

I believe but not 100% sure, that you just need to fill out the weapons portion in the gallery. So just getting the weapon once should be enough and should be the way the game keeps track of this.

You're probably right. I'll just go with this because I'm not sure if I'm up to platting this anyway :lol

Yawnier

Banned
In a way, I sort of wish that conquest mode made an appearance in this game, but not as a substitute/replacement for free mode and just as it's own thing.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the inevitable 8: Xtreme Legends or Empires though.

Man, I didn't get any of the stars toward unlocking the Wei hypothetical route on my first playthrough. I have a lot of replaying ahead of me.

You actually don't have to run through the entire story mode each time to get the stars. You can just select the stage from the list, clear the objective and it'll count.

I did Wu first and missed out on most of the ones (well expect Sun Ce's one unexpectedly). It was kinda depressing since you just see everyone dying left and right cause of that. :[

Lol at the hypothetical Wu of Sun Jian surviving
"I'm getting too old, here my 16 year old eldest son takeover the Sun Family" *Throws Imperial Seal*
Ahahaha good thing age doesn't work into Dynasty Warriors most of the time XD

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You actually don't have to run through the entire story mode each time to get the stars. You can just select the stage from the list, clear the objective and it'll count.

I did Wu first and missed out on most of the ones (well expect Sun Ce's one unexpectedly). It was kinda depressing since you just see everyone dying left and right cause of that. :[

I know that stages can be selected individually, I just meant that there are a lot of stages with conditions to be met and on top of that I'll probably fail the objectives a few times on some of them. Took me like six tries for Shu's Xu Province star before I got what triggers the conditions down.

Yeah, going back and forth between 7 Empires and 8 I'm noticing more differences.

Buffs/nerfs to certain weapons, the camera is much improved in 8 where as in 7 it seems to like to dive into the ground for some reason making it hard to see whats around or ahead of you.

Control wise it feels more responsive in 8 as well as barely any tracking issues with attacks. Enemy health bar change makes them more noticeable too.

Best change they'e made so far is throwing daggers charge 3 breaks guard on the third hit as well as charge 4 breaking guard with the kick (I can't remember if it did this previously). Makes Yuanji more usable since you have to work around the fact that normal attacks do not stagger the enemy.

LuuKyK

Yeah playing Orochi 3 as Yuanji and Zhu Rong (yes, they got rid of her boomerang, booo) is pretty sad. They are useless. :(

Top Bottom