• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Yawnier

Banned
Well, I made it to
the Battle of Yiling
in Wu story mode.

Gan Ning and Lu Su have been my two favorite Wu characters to play as, they really made the flail more enjoyable and faster after DW7 for Gan Ning. I also wasn't expecting much from Lu Su's rake moveset, but I like it.

Han Dang isn't half bad, and Lu Xun's moveset is alright.

Also, one thing I noticed is that
they completely skip over the Liu Biao/Huang Zu major rivalry with Wu, they haven't been heard of again after the first stage where Sun Jian dies I don't think.

I know that stages can be selected individually, I just meant that there are a lot of stages with conditions to be met and on top of that I'll probably fail the objectives a few times on some of them. Took me like six tries for Shu's Xu Province star before I got what triggers the conditions down.

Yeah, some of them are easier than others. Some basically involve you babysitting the character you are suppose to protect and ignoring the missions.

Yeah, going back and forth between 7 Empires and 8 I'm noticing more differences.

Buffs/nerfs to certain weapons, the camera is much improved in 8 where as in 7 it seems to like to dive into the ground for some reason making it hard to see whats around or ahead of you.

Control wise it feels more responsive in 8 as well as barely any tracking issues with attacks. Enemy health bar change makes them more noticeable too.

Best change they'e made so far is throwing daggers charge 3 breaks guard on the third hit as well as charge 4 breaking guard with the kick (I can't remember if it did this previously). Makes Yuanji more usable since you have to work around the fact that normal attacks do not stagger the enemy.

Yeah, I think they definitely buffed the throwing knives to the overpoweredness it had in vanilla 7. I think its C4 got a great buff now that knives get thrown out with the kick as well as guard breaking.

Yeah playing Orochi 3 as Yuanji and Zhu Rong (yes, they got rid of her boomerang, booo) is pretty sad. They are useless. :(

I haven't played Orochi 3 but based on what you've said I'm assuming that change wasn't included in it?

Yeah, I think they definitely buffed the throwing knives to the overpoweredness it had in vanilla 7. I think its C4 got a great buff now that knives get thrown out with the kick as well as guard breaking.

I really like her the way she is now in 8. She definitely needs those guard break options since all of her normals do not cause enemies to stagger so she needs a way to get in and stop enemies from just walking up to her and smacking her.

Weapon skills like Induction can kind of help with that but I'm assuming most people aren't going to have good weapons built until they are quite a while into the game, not to mention if you are just doing story mode you can't combine weapons since that's only available in Ambition mode.

So once you get all officers in Ambition mode, does that mean only Unit Commanders will show up in battles?

I'm crossing my fingers for DW5:XL's Extreme mode to make it into the next XL game. It's basically a Dynasty Warriors rogue-like mode. What's not to like about that!? :p

Also Wen Yang without his helmet = god tier.

LuuKyK

I haven't played Orochi 3 but based on what you've said I'm assuming that change wasn't included in it?

No, sadly. It came out way before DW8. Actually it doesnt even have some things they implememented on DW7. Its still a great game, but yeah, some changes would be welcome. From what I've heard, they arent changing anything even on the ultimate version of the game. :lol

WO3 only has the changes to character's ex weapon up to Dynasty Warriros NEXT. All the great stuff that happens in Empires doesn't apply.

So, in order to get all the events, I need to now do poorly on the latter Wei story stages. Sigh.

What's everyones favorite song from each installment?

DW3 - Tyrant
DW4 - Eve
DW5 - The King Of Sadness
DW6 - ULTIMATE PRESSURE
DW7 - March of Destruction
DW8 - Solo

Might as well place this here:
OPPW2_Robin-Edition_resize.jpg

http://t.co/KPNrhByFU5

Yawnier

Banned

DW3 - Tyrant
DW4 - Eve
DW6 - ULTIMATE PRESSURE
DW8 - Solo

DW3 - Superior (so many to choose from though)
DW4 - In Full Bloom (another one where there are many to choose from)
DW5 - Great Red Spirit
DW6 - Welcome to China
DW7 - Entrusted Hope
DW8 - ? (no tracks in particular stand out to me so far)

Going to have to pick this up here before too long. I still need to spend more time with DW7 Empires, though.

I didn't buy 7: Empires because I had a feeling DW8 wouldn't come too long after it and I wouldn't want to burn myself out on DW so soon.

hamchan

Man One Piece 2 in a months time. I love One Piece and I love Musou games but I can't play them back to back right after each other. I doubt I'd be anywhere near done with DW8 when One Piece comes out.

So I played and loved Dynasty Warriors 2, 3 and 4. I own Dynasty Warriors 8 and I'm loving this as well. Is it worth it for me to revisit any of the DW games that I've missed in between? DW5-7, Strikeforce, any of the Empires games? Are any of them worth a play nowadays?

Yawnier

Banned
So I played and loved Dynasty Warriors 2, 3 and 4. I own Dynasty Warriors 8 and I'm loving this as well. Is it worth it for me to revisit any of the DW games that I've missed in between? DW5-7, Strikeforce, any of the Empires games? Are any of them worth a play nowadays?

1. 5 was basically a DW4.5 in a way (i.e. few new characters and every character had their own story mode, similar art style to DW4), similarly sort of how I view 8 as DW7.5

I think 5 would be tough getting back into after playing DW8, but that's just my two cents. It can probably be found for cheap now if you want to give it a try but I found it myself to be not that big of a gap over DW4. I still enjoyed it years ago though.

Also, some people including me are of the opinion that DW5: Empires is the best of all the Empires games. Mostly because you actually have control over where you on the map you can specifically place officers and stuff, there is a lot more micromanagement compared to 6: Empires. it is the closest you will get to ROTK in a DW title I would believe.

2. I would honestly just avoid DW6 and 6: Empires at all costs really, many people (including myself) view it as the lowest point in the series with characters being cut, no new ones being added, not everybody having their own story mode, and shitty Renbu system for combat.

3. DW7; I think is worth playing for the story/musou mode alone (which I personally put on par with DW8's story mode thus far). The gameplay in DW8 is basically an improvement in what Koei started trying out in DW7 with EX weapons and the such, and it can also probably be found for sub $20 nowadays. Having put over 100 hours into it, I can recommend.

7: Xtreme Legends can be easily skipped (it added 3 characters that are in DW8 anyways), 7: Empires I heard is good, but I don't know if it is worth paying $50 for now.

Summary: Play 5 and 5: Empires if you want, but it will definitely be harder to go back to after playing DW8. Skip everything that has to do with 6 (except for strikeforce maybe, that game was fun). Play DW7 for the story mode if you want to, you might as well skip 7: Xtreme Legends at this point and take a look at 7: Empires to see if it is for you.

I'd actually say Samurai Warriors 2 Empires was the best one, it was basically DW5E but with more choices and options and character interaction.

1. 5 was basically a DW4.5 in a way (i.e. few new characters and every character had their own story mode, similar art style to DW4), similarly sort of how I view 8 as DW7.5

I think 5 would be tough getting back into after playing DW8, but that's just my two cents. It can probably be found for cheap now if you want to give it a try but I found it myself to be not that big of a gap over DW4. I still enjoyed it years ago though.

Also, some people including me are of the opinion that DW5: Empires is the best of all the Empires games. Mostly because you actually have control over where you on the map you can specifically place officers and stuff, there is a lot more micromanagement compared to 6: Empires. it is the closest you will get to ROTK in a DW title I would believe.

2. I would honestly just avoid DW6 and 6: Empires at all costs really, many people (including myself) view it as the lowest point in the series with characters being cut, no new ones being added, not everybody having their own story mode, and shitty Renbu system for combat.

3. DW7; I think is worth playing for the story/musou mode alone (which I personally put on par with DW8's story mode thus far). The gameplay in DW8 is basically an improvement in what Koei started trying out in DW7 with EX weapons and the such, and it can also probably be found for sub $20 nowadays. Having put over 100 hours into it, I can recommend.

7: Xtreme Legends can be easily skipped (it added 3 characters that are in DW8 anyways), 7: Empires I heard is good, but I don't know if it is worth paying $50 for now.

Summary: Play 5 and 5: Empires if you want, but it will definitely be harder to go back to after playing DW8. Skip everything that has to do with 6 (except for strikeforce maybe, that game was fun). Play DW7 for the story mode if you want to, you might as well skip 7: Xtreme Legends at this point and take a look at 7: Empires to see if it is for you.

thanks, I'll keep this in mind! might pick up DW5 Empires on 360... or maybe I'll just wait for the inevitable DW8 Empires hahaha. I kind of want to try DW6 just to see how the different battle syster was, is there a demo on PS3 or 360?

Yawnier

Banned
I'd actually say Samurai Warriors 2 Empires was the best one, it was basically DW5E but with more choices and options and character interaction.

He/she asked about DW games specifically, so I didn't bother mentioning any of the SW titles in the somewhat recent years

But yes, I would definitely recommend SW2: Empires if you liked 5: Empires and SW2.

Yawnier

Banned
thanks, I'll keep this in mind! might pick up DW5 Empires on 360... or maybe I'll just wait for the inevitable DW8 Empires hahaha. I kind of want to try DW6 just to see how the different battle syster was, is there a demo on PS3 or 360?

I don't think there is a DW6 demo on PSN, there might be one on XBL I'm not 100% sure.

DW8: Empires could still be a year or two off (7:Empires just released this year, for comparison sake), so if you're itching for an Dynasty Warriors Empires game, 5 or 7 is the way to go (SW2: Empires is there too). 6: Empires was just way too streamlined and simplified for me to recommend.

With the renbu system, you could go on all day pressing square and your character wouldn't stop attacking, which is unlike DW7 and 8 (they removed it since it got so much negative feedback). I guess you just got to play it yourself to get a better idea of what it is.

Aizo

Banned
I remember having an item that I equipped to have a Red Hare and like 10 bodyguards in DW3. Are those no longer items? I know I can still get animals by playing ambition, but are those bodyguards gone?

They didn't really do anything, but it sure makes you feel cool having a bunch of dudes follow you around.

Oh man the way Sun Jian dies is hysterical. The guy who kills him just shouts into the sky and barrels off.

I'm surprised he didn't have a horse ready for him to drat off.

I remember having an item that I equipped to have a Red Hare and like 10 bodyguards in DW3. Are those no longer items? I know I can still get animals by playing ambition, but are those bodyguards gone?

They didn't really do anything, but it sure makes you feel cool having a bunch of dudes follow you around.

Nope, no items for horses. You can only change what horse you have in Free and Ambition mode anyway. No bodyguards either.

MoxManiac

DW3 - Tyrant
DW4 - Eve
DW6 - ULTIMATE PRESSURE
DW8 - Solo

DW3 - Sacred Ground v2
DW4 - Avenging Battle
DW5 - Gloomy Shadow
DW6 - A Great Giant
DW7 - Epic Man
DW8 - not sure yet

I haven't formed an opinion on 8's OSt yet, but up to this point 7 has my favorite OST in the series.

Yawnier

Banned
Finished Wu story mode.

Aside from Sun Jian and Sun Ce getting little time in the spotlight this time around, I liked it. My favorite battle was probably
He Fei Castle, even if it was shorter than I anticipated.

Lu Xun's new moveset I find is difficult to control, but insanely fun to use.

Ling Tong and his combos are still absurd.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Wei hypothetical conquered! I was overconfident and just about got owned by Guan Yu and Zhang Fei on the final stage. Had to let my AI compatriots handle most of the rest of the stage because I didn't even have enough health left to make it past the ballistae in the throne room :lol Chaos mode for this one is going to make me cry.

Mrbob

I've now finished the Wu, Shu, and Wei campaigns. Started the Jin campaign. I'm digging the story mode more than I have in any DW game before. Once I finish Jin I'm going to work on the getting hypothetical missions.

I browsed the Other campaign, and noticed the last three battles are grayed out. Do I need to do something in the campaign mode to unlock these missions?

My favorite new character is Wang Yi. I know she shown up in DW7 but I never played it. I absolutely love her weapon move set in DW8, and especially her EX move. Cleave through a bunch of dudes like butter.

It's crazy I've played over 20 hours so far without even touching Ambition mode. Once I'm finished with the story mode I'll move onto Ambition.

I browsed the Other campaign, and noticed the last three battles are grayed out. Do I need to do something in the campaign mode to unlock these missions?

To pretty much get all the Others story stages, you have to beat Wei, Shu and Wu's historical and hypothetical story modes.

God damn that castle with the floodgates mission is making me so mad. I'm blaming Obama for me being unable to beat this

Don't jump back down to the level of the castle but instead stay on the upper level and go around up there. It takes a while to get used to the map.

Sora_N

Hmm, the Liu Bei marriage in Shu story cutscene looked like the one in DW7. If not the same, it looks very very similar lol. Can't really remember as it's been a while.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Found a bug in Xiangyang after I began Wu story mode. After I was ordered to circle around the eastern path with Han Dang to infiltrate the castle, once I reached the jump-down point at the top, I fell straight into the architecture and became stuck there. Here's the spot:

Think I'll just leave that path to Han Dang the next time and go up the center.

Yawnier

Banned
^ I also encountered a weird bug earlier where I got stuck into a castle gate for a few moments but I eventually got out, I forget what stage it was exactly but it was in Wei's story mode.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Can anyone tell me where battle messages appear during split screen? In Warriors Orochi 3, when an officer spoke, the text would cover the top of 2nd Player's screen, and it was very irritating.

Sora_N

I had a glitch when I played as Guan Yinping in Shu story mode, Cao Ren juggled me up into the air, and I was up there for 2-3 seconds. Small glitch but I thought my game crashed or something.

Hope I don't come across anything worse.

Any news on the xbox version being fixed? I know they're working on it, but I don't really want to get it until I know for sure it's playable

Started playing Wei's Hypothetical Stage and a Wild Cai Wenji appears with no explanation or reason why she's even here. Haha.

And the second stage suddenly has Zhenji slapping the crap out of soldiers. This is getting even better.

Sora_N

How does the hypothetical paths feature work?

I just finished regular Shu Story.

I looked at the stage select, and for example I see for Battle of Chibi I have not done the stars, but for the Yellow Turban (first stage) I got both stars.

I tried to replay Chibi and completed the task, but it didn't do anything. Am I just supposed to start a new story mode?

Reknoc

How does the hypothetical paths feature work?

I just finished regular Shu Story.

I looked at the stage select, and for example I see for Battle of Chibi I have not done the stars, but for the Yellow Turban (first stage) I got both stars.

I tried to replay Chibi and completed the task, but it didn't do anything. Am I just supposed to start a new story mode?

You need to complete all the stars and it should open up the hypothetical path

Top Bottom