• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

How does the hypothetical paths feature work?

I just finished regular Shu Story.

I looked at the stage select, and for example I see for Battle of Chibi I have not done the stars, but for the Yellow Turban (first stage) I got both stars.

I tried to replay Chibi and completed the task, but it didn't do anything. Am I just supposed to start a new story mode?

Exactly what the above poster just said but also, some of those stars can be very voyage. There is one star for Shu you have to save someone but its worded differently and while you do have to save him but you need to save 3 other Shu Officers in order for the star to be completed.

Found a bug in Xiangyang after I began Wu story mode. After I was ordered to circle around the eastern path with Han Dang to infiltrate the castle, once I reached the jump-down point at the top, I fell straight into the architecture and became stuck there. Here's the spot:

Think I'll just leave that path to Han Dang the next time and go up the center.

Same thing happened to me. Next time I saved up before I jumped down from that spot. :p

So i have to say that doing that 100 battles in a row for Ambition mode took at lot less time then i expected. Well manly for two reasons. Zhou Tai and Overpowered elements on my weapon. Slash for the win and Screw you Lu Bu.

How does the hypothetical paths feature work?

I just finished regular Shu Story.

I looked at the stage select, and for example I see for Battle of Chibi I have not done the stars, but for the Yellow Turban (first stage) I got both stars.

I tried to replay Chibi and completed the task, but it didn't do anything. Am I just supposed to start a new story mode?

You'll have to complete all the stars before the stage and when you play the stage where it branches off, you'll talk to someone new instead of who you normally talk to.

Look at the Hypothetical Guide that's listed in the first post. It's really comprehensive!

Aizo

Banned
What is the recommended level for beating 100 levels in Ambition? I will likely use Xu Huang since he is just as OP as he was in WO3. I mean damn.

Yawnier

Banned
Xu Shu is a blast to play as. He might be my favorite new character so far (didn't play 7: Empires, so he is new to me), even over Yue Jin and his hookblades.

Yawnier

Banned
Finished Shu story mode, which is probably my favorite story so far (it was my least favorite story in DW7, so that is an improvement).One thing I found strange is how
Zhao Yun and Zhuge Liang didn't really outright oppose the Battle of Yiling/Xiaoting, compared to past DWs.
Just an interesting point I felt pointing out.

Another observation I found is that
how many characters just disappear from the story and never appear again without any explanation, for somebody like me who has read the novel and such it isn't such a big deal but some people newer to the story and characters of ROTK I think could find it a bit confusing, like I said its not really a big deal to be honest but just something I realized while playing through Shu's story. A few examples: Ma Chao, Huang Zhong, Xu Shu.

Just a couple more points I feel like making:

- Thus far, I don't think there is one new moveset I really dislike that much, except for Li Dian's perhaps. It could just be that I need to try it out some more.

- I found Zhang Bao's main musou and aerial musou to be very underpowered and weak in damage compared to his circle + R1 one where he uses Zhang Fei's spear. Just a bit odd that's all.

- Guan Xing flys around like a bird with some of his charge attacks and his main musou attack but he is very fun to play as IMO.

But yeah, assuming Jin's story mode is decent (I heard mixed things about it) this is shaping up to be my favorite Musou title of the generation.

MrDaravon

Has anyone done maps anywhere of all of the pots in the Ambition mode maps for material hunting purposes? Wondering if I should be running around these 90% empty maps looking for pots, or if it's overall more productive to just get through the levels.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Found that I'm at 999999 gold and that's apparently the cap. Can I duck into Ambition Mode and spend some of it on stuff without really getting involved in the mode? I'm trying to stick to Story Mode for now.

I'm trying to join a friend's game but it keeps dropping me back to Offline Mode?

Anyone else getting this problem?

everyone in the world is having this problem. just go to "recruit" and tell your friend to go to "join". stupid I know, I hope the upcoming patch fixes this.

Sora_N

how many characters just disappear from the story and never appear again without any explanation, for somebody like me who has read the novel and such it isn't such a big deal but some people newer to the story and characters of ROTK I think could find it a bit confusing, like I said its not really a big deal to be honest but just something I realized while playing through Shu's story. A few examples: Ma Chao, Huang Zhong, Xu Shu.

I agree with that...basically after the ship battle
they don't really tell you wtf happens to Xu Shu

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Found that I'm at 999999 gold and that's apparently the cap. Can I duck into Ambition Mode and spend some of it on stuff without really getting involved in the mode? I'm trying to stick to Story Mode for now.

Not really. Like at the start you don't really have things to spent your money on as your main resources will be facility materials and weapon materials. After you build up your town, namely the blacksmith, then you can blow your money.

Building you your blacksmith to max level (50) takes awhile.

Almost done with ambition mode and not sure what I'll be doing after that. Already completed Wei, Wu, Shu, and Jin's story modes and hypothetical routes last Sun/Mon. Maybe go do Free Mode for awhile or play with others. Might even go through story again now that I have some decent weapons this time around. :lol

Not really. The only thing worth spending money on is the Academy (where you can spend money to level up and eventually to buy stat boosts) but that is the last facility that becomes available. You'd need to get quite far into the mode to reach that point.

Just a couple more points I feel like making:

- I found Zhang Bao's main musou and aerial musou to be very underpowered and weak in damage compared to his circle + R1 one where he uses Zhang Fei's spear. Just a bit odd that's all.

Yeah, Shu definitely has the whole characters just disappear after a bit. I will say one of the weakness of having this many characters is that some characters end up arriving and disappearing without really any real rhyme or reason.

For Xu Shu:
Well historically, he goes to Wei so of course he wouldn't appear in Historical Shu story mode. He gets a lot more involvement in the Hypothetical modes.

Not sure why his air musou seems weak but his normal one definitely seems more for the stun than damage.

Yawnier

Banned
Yeah, Shu definitely has the whole characters just disappear after a bit. I will say one of the weakness of having this many characters is that some characters end up arriving and disappearing without really any real rhyme or reason.

For Xu Shu:
Well historically, he goes to Wei so of course he wouldn't appear in Historical Shu story mode. He gets a lot more involvement in the Hypothetical modes.

Not sure why his air musou seems weak but his normal one definitely seems more for the stun than damage.

Yep, we are at the point now of having almost 80 characters, so I suppose we can't expect Omega Force to properly detail what happens to every last characters and their deaths, stuff like that would only drag out the story more then I think it needs to be for DW but I thought it was worth a mention

(Xu Shu spoilerish stuff)
Also oh yes, I know what happens to Xu Shu historically and in ROTK, but I just felt it was explained a bit poorly why he went over to Cao Cao in particular in Shu's story mode and how he never even showed up fighting against Shu again. I know that in the novel, Xu Shu vows to never give Cao Cao any actual advice as an advisor (Cao Cao asks for his input a few times but to almost no avail), but I was still surprised at how he just went up and disappeared right after Chibi. Nice to see there is more of him in hypothetical though.

(Continued)
He also spends around 25 years in Wei roughly after Xinye before he dies and he never showed up in the Wei story mode on Wei's side either, he is not really a character known for anything largely notable other than mentioning Kongming to Liu Bei but its the same thing for somebody such as Wang Yi who appears in quite a few battles in Wei's story mode but isn't known for anything largely notable or spectacular either. I just think it is weird how he was handled in this game storywise compared to some other characters in this game, that's all really lol.

It could just be because he is sort of wedged in between two kingdoms (Shu and Wei), sort of like how Xiahou Ba is wedged in between two kingdoms so that they didn't know all that much to do with him in the historical route side of things this time around. IDK.

Yawnier

Banned
I agree with that...basically after the ship battle
they don't really tell you wtf happens to Xu Shu

Yeah, basically, He definitely isn't the only character who just randomly disappears without any explanation as to what happens, but its just something I noticed when playing through Shu's story mode here today.

Its not a big deal to me either, you could easily go to the in game encyclopedia but I just wondering if anybody else noticed.

Yep, we are at the point now of having almost 80 characters, so I suppose we can't expect Omega Force to properly detail what happens to every last characters and their deaths, stuff like that would only drag out the story more then I think it needs to be for DW but I thought it was worth a mention

(Xu Shu spoilerish stuff)
Also oh yes, I know what happens to Xu Shu historically and in ROTK, but I just felt it was explained a bit poorly why he went over to Cao Cao in particular in Shu's story mode and how he never even showed up fighting against Shu again. I know that in the novel, Xu Shu vows to never give Cao Cao any actual advice as an advisor (Cao Cao asks for his input a few times but to almost no avail), but I was still surprised at how he just went up and disappeared right after Chibi. Nice to see there is more of him in hypothetical though.

(Continued)
He also spends around 25 years in Wei roughly after Xinye before he dies and he never showed up in the Wei story mode on Wei's side either, he is not really a character known for anything largely notable other than mentioning Kongming to Liu Bei but its the same thing for somebody such as Wang Yi who appears in quite a few battles in Wei's story mode but isn't known for anything largely notable or spectacular either. I just think it is weird how he was handled in this game storywise compared to some other characters in this game, that's all really lol.

It could just be because he is sort of wedged in between two kingdoms (Shu and Wei), sort of like how Xiahou Ba is wedged in between two kingdoms so that they didn't know all that much to do with him in the historical route side of things this time around. IDK.

He has a much larger presence in both Wei's and Shu's hypothetical story mode. But yeah, pretty much after he recommends Zhuge Liang and leaves Shu, he's basically not really doing anything battle wise for either side hence why he just disappears after Chibi. Can't really have him show up in Wei's story and not really do anything or show up when fighting Wei and not do anything either. It's probably cause his whole apathetic-y means they can't really use him otherwise people would just complain he's being too much of a downer, lol.

Astarte

To pretty much get all the Others story stages, you have to beat Wei, Shu and Wu's historical and hypothetical story modes.

Don't jump back down to the level of the castle but instead stay on the upper level and go around up there. It takes a while to get used to the map.

Did it! Thanks a ton, bro

Yawnier

Banned
He has a much larger presence in both Wei's and Shu's hypothetical story mode. But yeah, pretty much after he recommends Zhuge Liang and leaves Shu, he's basically not really doing anything battle wise for either side hence why he just disappears after Chibi. Can't really have him show up in Wei's story and not really do anything or show up when fighting Wei and not do anything either. It's probably cause his whole apathetic-y means they can't really use him otherwise people would just complain he's being too much of a downer, lol.

Lol at the last sentence, its true though because he is mopey at times in the novel and TV series too. One thing done right with him is portraying him as somebody who isn't really that happy or content all that often

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
i dont wanna use the ambition mode to level my chars, which levels do you guys think are best in free mode for leveling ?

Gah! Who's that old Shu guy with the Bow & Arrow? Fucker killed me with his musou last night. Super cheap, he took out my entire life bar. Cheeeeeeeaaaaaap.

Gah! Who's that old Shu guy with the Bow & Arrow? Fucker killed me with his musou last night. Super cheap, he took out my entire life bar. Cheeeeeeeaaaaaap.

Huang Zhong?
353px-Huang_Zhong_-_DW8.jpg

Yawnier

Banned
^ Lmao, of all the Shu characters I find Ma Chao gives me the most trouble, his main musou attack on the ground can deal a lot of damage if you're in the right place.

Aizo

Banned
I started playing Ambition last night
after you jerks didn't tell me the recommended level for doing 100 battles in a row ;_;
with level 30 Wang Yi. I got to the tenth battle in a row, and the officers just had waaaayyy too much health, so I quit. What level should I be? Any tips for Ambition?

I started playing Ambition last night
after you jerks didn't tell me the recommended level for doing 100 battles in a row ;_;
with level 30 Wang Yi. I got to the tenth battle in a row, and the officers just had waaaayyy too much health, so I quit. What level should I be? Any tips for Ambition?

This is what I did.

-I played nothing but material stages since they only require one officer to be killed.
-Level is kinda irrelevant since the enemy HP gets so high.
-I used Diao Chan as my bodyguard. For whatever reason allies do a crazy amount of damage even on the higher levels. We'd run up to a boss, do a team-up musou, and they'd lose all their health instantly.
-If you have a weapon that builds a lot of rage you could use that as well since rage musous do a decent job of destroying enemies on higher levels.
-Feel free to take breaks to do something else. In fact you can even play other modes like Free/Story.

badgenome

What's everyones favorite song from each installment?

DW3 - Tyrant
DW4 - Eve
DW5 - The King Of Sadness
DW6 - ULTIMATE PRESSURE
DW7 - March of Destruction
DW8 - Solo

DW2: Sacred Ground
DW3: Arena
DW4: Dancing Wizard!!!!!!! \m/
DW5: Intelligent Boys (srsly!)
DW6: The Battle Without Justice
DW7: flat-footed tie between Thousand Suns and Large Feather
DW8: Hopeful Pain

I finally buy the game, this is my first time playing dynasty warrior other than playing a few co-op battle in friend's house years ago. it's pretty damn good, I'm playing story mode for now. it's really fun, and the mission objectives do a good job to varied it up and make it felt less repetitive, even when it's totally supposed to be repetitive.

I'm enjoying the story mode so far, but it kinda make me wonder, does previous Dynasty Warrior basically just retell the same story again and again? it's based on history after all. just curious.

question about gameplay and mission objectives, I hate ballista and catapult so much, how do you deal with them? also, when I play Wei story mission where I have to kill DongZhuo, before Lubu shows up, there's a big open field where you got bombarded with catapult and ballista, during one of my playthrough, I was able to move around the hill, capture the ballista, use it to destroy the catapult. but Lubu killed me after that, on my next playthrough, I can't capture the ballista again, the road there is blocked and there's no gatekeeper to open the gate. is this a bug or are there trigger to open that gate?

I'm enjoying the story mode so far, but it kinda make me wonder, does previous Dynasty Warrior basically just retell the same story again and again? it's based on history after all. just curious.
They tend to add more battles to each installment while changing the ones they keep. If you play Hu Lao Gate from DW3 it's completely different from the one in DW8.

Yawnier

Banned
I finally buy the game, this is my first time playing dynasty warrior other than playing a few co-op battle in friend's house years ago. it's pretty damn good, I'm playing story mode for now. it's really fun, and the mission objectives do a good job to varied it up and make it felt less repetitive, even when it's totally supposed to be repetitive.

question about gameplay and mission objectives, I hate ballista and catapult so much, how do you deal with them? also, when I play Wei story mission where I have to kill DongZhuo, before Lubu shows up, there's a big open field where you got bombarded with catapult and ballista, during one of my playthrough, I was able to move around the hill, capture the ballista, use it to destroy the catapult. but Lubu killed me after that, on my next playthrough, I can't capture the ballista again, the road there is blocked and there's no gatekeeper to open the gate. is this a bug or are there trigger to open that gate?

Nice to see someone new to the series enjoying it

1) I have found the best way to keep things varied and less repetitive is to use as many different characters as possible and don`t play as the same character for a quarter of the story mode for a kingdom. So yeah, there's that too.

2) Yes, they basically tell the same story over and over (its the story of the novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms or ROTK). Some differences is that some DW games feature certain stages and some do not (Bowangpo comes to mind), so it changes a bit in that respect from game to game.

This game also has hypothetical stages, which tell a story that is pretty much totally fictional and not quite always the same seen in other DW games.

Also, some games are more faithful to the actual history and ROTK as well, I have found DW7 to be more historically accurate in the story presented compared to DW8 so far.

The basic story is the same though, yes.

3) Dealing with those, you basically just got to attack them. Although when you go up to them you can press L1 to put your guard up to avoid damage. No idea about that bug or whatever, sorry.

Top Bottom