• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Finished Shu's Hypothetical mode.

A nice touch-in-cheek that Bao Sanniang is completely placed with the Hypothetical mode.

Also pretty sad that Guan Ping's only playable stage in all of story mode is the same stage that Bao's only playable in. His relevance to the story is pretty much one step up from Bao and that's just sad for him.

Sora_N

This is what I did.

-I played nothing but material stages since they only require one officer to be killed.
-Level is kinda irrelevant since the enemy HP gets so high.
-I used Diao Chan as my bodyguard. For whatever reason allies do a crazy amount of damage even on the higher levels. We'd run up to a boss, do a team-up musou, and they'd lose all their health instantly.
-If you have a weapon that builds a lot of rage you could use that as well since rage musous do a decent job of destroying enemies on higher levels.
-Feel free to take breaks to do something else. In fact you can even play other modes like Free/Story.

I'm gonna try that, I'm guessing you can just save and then continue after playing some other mode?

If I die, do I lose everything like story mode? (EDIT: I think you only lose the stuff from the stage you died on? Not 100% sure though lol)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
In a non-surprising twist, playing Local Co-Op on the 360 version has been a pain. Buggiest DW release I've seen in a long time! But great when it works. I love the cinematic work... Koei really does a great job, with all the huge cast.

Sure I miss voiced EVERYTHING, but these things have gotten much, MUCH bigger than when we started off with DW 2 and 3....

Speaking of! After hearing how the Ending theme to Hypothetical had such an awesome song, I was smiling Ear to ear to hear it was So glad to hear they still have that around! Used to love watching that, and using edit cinematic mode to get EVERYONE dancing around that fire...

Now give me an update of , and I'll be quite happy, haha.

NeonZ

I finally buy the game, this is my first time playing dynasty warrior other than playing a few co-op battle in friend's house years ago. it's pretty damn good, I'm playing story mode for now. it's really fun, and the mission objectives do a good job to varied it up and make it felt less repetitive, even when it's totally supposed to be repetitive.

I'm enjoying the story mode so far, but it kinda make me wonder, does previous Dynasty Warrior basically just retell the same story again and again? it's based on history after all. just curious.

It's generally a retelling, but there are different additions once in a while. DW2-6 (besides 4) had stories focused on specific characters. You choose a character, and then went through 5 or so battles with story sequences between them until getting an ending.

7 and now 8 have much longer stories focused on kingdoms, rather than specific characters, and also added the Jin faction that wasn't in previous games, extending the story past the previous ending point. DW8 also adds "what if" routes, while in DW7 there was only a single story for each kingdom. They also change and tweak events and their focus, especially due to the addition of new characters.

But, yes, in the end, it always a retelling of the same story. They still have some space to expand it like they did when they added Jin though, with the second half of Jin's and Wu's story. It's not a popular period though and it's only a small part of the original novel. But the same is true for Jin itself anyway, which wasn't really popular before Dynasty Warriors 7 itself, and it still ended up working, so I guess we'll see it at some point, eventually.

Lol reminds me of the Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires cutscenes video I saw online, where the user made wedding scenes of the canonical marriages but for some reason included Wang Yi with Ma Chao XD

Hystzen

Also pretty sad that Guan Ping's only playable stage in all of story mode is the same stage that Bao's only playable in. His relevance to the story is pretty much one step up from Bao and that's just sad for him.

Ping has slowly been pushed out since debut in 5 even in 5 he had little impact.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So at what point in Ambition Mode do I get the facility where you can buy XP for characters? 'Cause I'm nearly maxed out on gold and have nothing to do with it.

The continued downplaying of Guan Ping stinks, I think he's a really cool and interesting character, though I think I like him a bit more in Warriors Orochi where he plays second fiddle to Nobunaga.

Yawnier

Banned
Finished Jin story mode.

(Story spoilers)
With Sima Yi, Zhang Chunhua, and Jia Chong I find Jin to definitely be the "darkest" kingdom now. Jia Chong got a huge amount of time in the spotlight, way more than I thought he would be getting, but I like his personality, Omega Force did a good job having him stay true to his form in the novel and in history. As a very blunt, cruel, and uncharismatic person. Wen Yang also got less screentime then what I thought he would be getting, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is pushed as more of a poster boy similarly to Zhao Yun and Sima Zhao in the next mainline game.

I should probably clarify that I haven't played any of the hypothetical stages yet though.

Also, I definitely see why opinion on Jin's story mode seems to be a bit mixed, if you don't like either Sima Zhao or Jia Chong (I like both) then it would probably piss you off seeing how many stages they are involved in and have a large role in. I know that Jin is indeed a very new kingdom compared to the others, but it is starting to how how many less characters they have when Sima Zhao is selectable for like half of the stages in total, if not more

Also, Ambition Mode question:
To get more playable characters/allies that aren't NPCs, do I just keep on fighting various battles? Because right now I only have two playable characters and its getting a bit repetitive only having them to play as for this mode.

Metaledgeking

Neo Member
Finished Jin story mode.

(Story spoilers)
With Sima Yi, Zhang Chunhua, and Jia Chong I find Jin to definitely be the "darkest" kingdom now. Jia Chong got a huge amount of time in the spotlight, way more than I thought he would be getting, but I like his personality, Omega Force did a good job having him stay true to his form in the novel and in history. As a very blunt, cruel, and uncharismatic person. Wen Yang also got less screentime then what I thought he would be getting, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is pushed as more of a poster boy similarly to Zhao Yun and Sima Zhao in the next mainline game.

I should probably clarify that I haven't played any of the hypothetical stages yet though.

Also, I definitely see why opinion on Jin's story mode seems to be a bit mixed, if you don't like either Sima Zhao or Jia Chong (I like both) then it would probably piss you off seeing how many stages they are involved in and have a large role in. I know that Jin is indeed a very new kingdom compared to the others, but it is starting to how how many less characters they have when Sima Zhao is selectable for like half of the stages in total, if not more

Also, Ambition Mode question:
To get more playable characters/allies that aren't NPCs, do I just keep on fighting various battles? Because right now I only have two playable characters and its getting a bit repetitive only having them to play as for this mode.

Regarding Ambition Mode:
Every couple of battles(think after three) you will encounter a duel in which playable characters appear in that stage and all you have to do is defeat then in order for them to join you but if you are maxed out on officers then they won't join and they will appear in the minor battles like collecting materials so you can still get them later when you increase how many officers you can hold.

Yawnier

Banned
Regarding Ambition Mode:
Every couple of battles(think after three) you will encounter a duel in which playable characters appear in that stage and all you have to do is defeat then in order for them to join you but if you are maxed out on officers then they won't join and they will appear in the minor battles like collecting materials so you can still get them later when you increase how many officers you can hold.

Ah okay, thanks.

Is there a way to dismiss or get rid off NPC officers when you are maxed out though?

Finished Jin's Hypothetical Mode so thoughts below:

My favorite new stage there was probably defending the capital against Zhong Hui's rebellion mostly due to all that colorful banter that Zhang Chunhua has.

I literally groaned when the last stage ended up being using the Chibi stage. Not because it isn't that bad of a come around for new Wei to unite Ancient China in the stage where they lost terribly but cause Chibi just slows down my game to a crawl even when it's not on fire.

I did have a good laugh when out of all people Bao showed up as an reinforcement on the last stage. That was probably the first time I even see her as an enemy though I guess she'll appear at least at Meng Huo and Zhurong's Other stages.

Jin's Hypothetical Mode does suffer from using the same characters like its normal mode. While being shorter, having Sima Shi using on three out of the five stages isn't that great of character variety. And hell, Zhong Hui isn't even usable in any of the stages!

I thought the ending was ok. Didn't really do anything special unlike Wu's and kinda is just oh Sima Shi is ruling now. I guess you really can't change too much from the historical ending since Jin is the last kingdom anyway.

I guess now I got the Others to play with before going onto the beast known as Ambition mode.

Got the OST to the game back in May. While I mainly got it because of a couple of songs (Beyond the Destiny and Capricious Wind), some of the others grew on me the more I listened to it, especially on the "Shu" disc.

On that note, I kind of suspect that it has four discs to allow each kingdom to adorn one, even though there're only enough DW8 original songs to necessitate three discs. Oh well, always nice to listen to "Struggle for Existence" again.

Oh my god, there were so many enemies in Zhang Jiao's Story stage. I swear my PS3 was slowing down due to the sheer amount of them. @_@

what difficulties are most people here playing? normal seems rather easy, I mean, I killed officer pretty quick on normal with rage, musou etc. rarely died too

Sora_N

Playing Normal for story, but currently doing Beginning in Ambition for the trophy and Red Hare. Normal does seem a bit easy though.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I wish you could pick your own horse for story mode. The default horse is pure ass. I was rushing to kill Tao Qian and I accidentally killed Liu Bei at the same time and now I have to do the mission over again because I apparently got Liu Bei first. What a pain.

Edit: Lol, eye patch out of nowhere for Xiahou Dun.

Yawnier

Banned
Anyone else here play Wei level of Guan Du and found it was disappointing?

I actually found quite a few of the larger battles disappointing, Guan Du included. It just wasn't as good as the Guan Du in DW7 story mode IMO where you had to go along with Jia Xu and his secret plan.

Zhen Ji is one of the last characters you get in Wei? =/

Yeah, silly enough Pang De is the last playable character for Wei you can choose, lol.

Xiahou Dun gets his eyepatch in one of the side stages during Wei's story.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Finished all the Others story stages last night. Kinda chessed it using Throwing Knives with Cyclone on it. Might I add, my lord how overpowered they are.

Might I add there are so many enemies in these stages. In Meng Huo's stage I was pretty much rage musou hopping across one side to the next since I recovered enough musou from all the enemies I was killing.

I do like how every character is at one point usable in Story mode. I pretty much used almost everyone (sorry Guan Ping) which is a lot more you can say than DW7's story mode.

Zuo Ci is probably one of the best improved characters. While similar to his WO3's self, his moves flow better, have a better hit box and is a lot more funnier to use. It's pretty amazing to see such an improvement.

Guess I'll now start on Ambition mode later today.

MoxManiac

It's bullshit, Pang De deserves much better than he got in this game, he pretty much gets fucked over in every version of Fan Castle.

Mugaaz

I wish you could pick your own horse for story mode. The default horse is pure ass. I was rushing to kill Tao Qian and I accidentally killed Liu Bei at the same time and now I have to do the mission over again because I apparently got Liu Bei first. What a pain.

The horse thing is pretty stupid. I agree.

I actually found quite a few of the larger battles disappointing, Guan Du included. It just wasn't as good as the Guan Du in DW7 story mode IMO where you had to go along with Jia Xu and his secret plan.

I have to agree, it's weird how I can get over 1500 kills in xu province but struggle to achieve half that at battles like guan du or chi bi without grinding

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Yeah, silly enough Pang De is the last playable character for Wei you can choose, lol.

Xiahou Dun gets his eyepatch in one of the side stages during Wei's story.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Finished all the Others story stages last night. Kinda chessed it using Throwing Knives with Cyclone on it. Might I add, my lord how overpowered they are.

Might I add there are so many enemies in these stages. In Meng Huo's stage I was pretty much rage musou hopping across one side to the next since I recovered enough musou from all the enemies I was killing.

I do like how every character is at one point usable in Story mode. I pretty much used almost everyone (sorry Guan Ping) which is a lot more you can say than DW7's story mode.

Zuo Ci is probably one of the best improved characters. While similar to his WO3's self, his moves flow better, have a better hit box and is a lot more funnier to use. It's pretty amazing to see such an improvement.

Guess I'll now start on Ambition mode later today.

You'd think Pang De would be sooner too :<

The eye patch was pretty funny because it just appeared suddenly in the cutscene. His dialogue box had him without it during the stage. Lazy Koei.

Oh this does remind me something for Meng Huo's stage:

You end up fighting Xu Shu there while helping out with Shu against Wei. And oddly enough, he's in his regular green outfit instead of blue so that was just weird.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
im in ambition mode and ive levelled the blacksmith to 30 now

how do you do what u did in warriors orochi 3 with a weapon

say i want flash on a level 4 weapon but ive got a level 2 weapon with it how can i transfer that to my level 4 ?

im in ambition mode and ive levelled the blacksmith to 30 now

how do you do what u did in warriors orochi 3 with a weapon

say i want flash on a level 4 weapon but ive got a level 2 weapon with it how can i transfer that to my level 4 ?

Here's a link to what I quoted earlier on the basics of weapon tempering.

And, we got some EU (hopefully NA) DLC news.

And also of course August is when the Japanese voices DLC is planned to come out.

So after switching to Cao Cao after taking Xiahou Dun through Ambition Mode from 0% to 90% completion, I'm surprised by how much thought they put into making weapons have unique qualities.

In this case, I'm really liking the fact that the General's Sword's Storm Rush has redonkulous DPS (compared to the Podao, at least).

Whoa
the sudden Mandarin pop in Wu's hypothetical ending, guessing the others have the same but gotta finish their normal endings lol
(Wu hypothetical ending maybe spoilers)

So after switching to Cao Cao after taking Xiahou Dun through Ambition Mode from 0% to 90% completion, I'm surprised by how much thought they put into making weapons have unique qualities.

In this case, I'm really liking the fact that the General's Sword's Storm Rush has redonkulous DPS (compared to the Podao, at least).

The General Sword is crazy in general and it doesn't even activate elements! Shadow Step weapons are amazing.

Whoa
the sudden Mandarin pop in Wu's hypothetical ending, guessing the others have the same but gotta finish their normal endings lol
(Wu hypothetical ending maybe spoilers)

That song is just amazing.

Top Bottom