• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Platforms: PS3 (All regions) / PSN (All regions) / X360 (NA, EU, AU only)

Looks like it.

I am only basing the PSN release off that the Japanese release was released on PSN (and it was a kinda big thing too).

Koei Temco (NA) might screw up somewhere and forget to release this on PSN or whatever. ~_~

Yawnier

Banned
I am only basing the PSN release off that the Japanese release was released on PSN (and it was a kinda big thing too).

Koei Temco (NA) might screw up somewhere and forget to release this on PSN or whatever. ~_~

Yeah, I could see Koei doing something stupid like that (like that stealth release of a Vita game on PSN nobody knew was coming, I forget the name).

Crunch King

Neo Member
Pretty much. Only Sun Quan is the EX user for swords. Cao Cao has the general sword, Sima Zhao has the striking broadsword and etc.

It's like what they did in DW7XL where they gave new weapons out that were similar looking but different to Guan Yu and the others.

Excellent news.

I platinumed DW7 and it almost killed me... can I do it again...

rugioh

Banned
So stoked for this game! Problem is, I will have DW8 and SMTIV waiting for me in the same Amazon box when I come home from work Tuesday. Eh who am I kidding? DW8 is getting the first nod and I shall conquer China as a member of Shu!

This is the problem I'm facing... I kinda want a 3DS for FE/SMT/Animal Crossing.... but I kinda want this game too x_x

sensui-tomo

how does the remix joy(or whatever thats called work with digital copies?) would never buy a base Dynasty warriors digital in the off chance it wouldnt work with the next expansion

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is this going to be any different then any other DW game? Significantly different?

Hope not. Last time they did that it was DW 6 and it was terrible.

Don't know why people would want it to be 'significantly' different. You don't want FIFA or Madden to be significantly different, you don't want Dynasty Warriors to be different. Just improved upon.

ZhugeEX

Banned

denshuu

I'm really stoked that they're dubbing these games again. I skipped DW7 because the framerate and slowdown kind of made the game unplayable for me, so the last time I really enjoyed a Musou game in English was 6 Empires. Damn near 5 years ago.

Hopefully this game has a lot of Victory shall belong to Wuuu and L-Lu Bu! Lu Bu has come to destroy us! moments.

Waiting to hear back about review copies of this is killing me. This is as big a deal to me as reviewing any BioShock, Halo, or whatever.

I need to get my Zhang He on!

ZhugeEX

Banned
Waiting to hear back about review copies of this is killing me. This is as big a deal to me as reviewing any BioShock, Halo, or whatever.

I hope you get one too man. Can't wait to see what you say about it.

You're one of the only journalists out there that actually reviews DW games properly and doesn't just copy and paste the same review about how the series is the same over and over.

Excellent news.

I platinumed DW7 and it almost killed me... can I do it again...

It looks like the most grindy part will be getting everything in ambition mode. No raising bonds with everybody this time.

I'll be looking forward to it! It'll also be great to fill out that reviews section in the OT.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Kinda hate that it comes out the same day as SMT. I either have to split my time with both or ignore one of them.

l'll probably end up ignoring SMT.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ok Koei, it's getting to the point that all your pretty male characters are starting to look the same. You really need to amp up the manly men.

I mean, Zhou Tai's pretty popular you guys.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Ok Koei, it's getting to the point that all your pretty male characters are starting to look the same. You really need to amp up the manly men.

But have you seen
titanfall
Han Dang & Lu Su?

16151_416816185056610_602658317_n.jpg

185737_435831886488373_1960952371_n.jpg

Yawnier

Banned
I'm still wondering why Koei even decided to add Lu Su in, the gap between Zhou Yu being the main strategist and dying and Lu Meng and Lu Xun becoming the main strategists/tacticians for Wu is so small anyways (like less than 10 years), it just seems a bit unnecessary IMO.

They gave you Zack Zhang Bao and you'll like him!

I'm still wondering why Koei even decided to add Lu Su in, the gap between Zhou Yu being the main strategist and dying and Lu Meng and Lu Xun becoming the main strategists/tacticians for Wu is so small anyways (like less than 10 years), it just seems a bit unnecessary IMO.

They are probably trying to avoid adding anyone at any sense related to Late Wu.

ZhugeEX

Banned

Because he bridges the gap between Shu and Wu whilst the others you mentioned are scheming against Shu.

According to the novel anyway. Have you seen the Three Kingdoms 2010 tv series? I thought Lu Su's portrayal there was excellent and is a good reason as to why he's in the game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There are Dynasty Warriors fans outside of GAF... But yeah it'll bomb :(

Depending on what?
Koei has put out the majority of their Musou games in America, consistently. It clearly does well enough that it's worth supporting. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't one of the more popular Japanese series in the US.

hamchan

Don't know whether I should buy this.

I still have to finish conquest mode in Dynasty Warriors 7, only 10% into Warriors Orochi 3, still have Dynasty Warriors Next on standby, still have to finish One Piece Pirate Warriors.

I always buy these games late though for a cheaper price and miss the zeitgeist of other people also playing it. Also if I don't buy it now I'd probably never buy it with next gen and all.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I reckon it'll do what it always does.

Just well enough. Just enough.

I agree as well. Although i have to admit that Dynasty Warriors 8 hasn't done as well in Japan as it could have. Both DW6 and 7 sold around 500k units retail (In Japan) where as DW8 hasn't even hit 350k yet. Ofc there is no digital download numbers but it's clear it's not selling as well.

Here is a post of mine i made back in April which gives my opinion on sales numbers and stuff- http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/single/?p=9390152&t=7028601

I'm a huge DW fan so I can't wait for this game to come out. Bah too many games to play from now till the end of the year, yet so little time :(

Oh man. So excited for this. I need to hurry up and finish The Last of Us before this comes out. Actually, to be honest, I'm going to be in the middle of getting packed up to move into a new house (!!!) so I won't actually have time, but I'll still pick up my copy regardless. Dat new DW smell.

No, but western Musou fans should be for obvious reasons.

The only part of the West that has a chance of worrying of never seeing more Musou would be NA. And that's probably more due to K-T NA disappearing overnight and no one noticing that it happened than poor sales.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Pretty late on this but day one for sure. I'm team Wu but I'm looking forward to playing Zhang Chunhua.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Sadly Jim sterling's critique is like the only review probably worth posting in the OP. Nobody in the industry seems to get these games anymore...

That said, how is loot handled this time around? Ive always preferred when these games have persistent inventories across all players so I never feel I am restarting at ground zero switching between new fighters. This allows me to keep the difficulty high and get excited for snagging challenge weapons and getting even better drops as I level new chars. Essentially DW5 is still king for me here.

That said, how is loot handled this time around? Ive always preferred when these games have persistent inventories across all players so I never feel I am restarting at ground zero switching between new fighters. This allows me to keep the difficulty high and get excited for snagging challenge weapons and getting even better drops as I level new chars. Essentially DW5 is still king for me here.

Weapons are all shared. Once you get a weapon, anyone can wield it (with variable effectiveness). The main difference is that you can't change what weapons you have equipped once you start a battle. But since you are able to choose which character you play as in each story stage, I believe you are able to switch their weapons, skills, animals around before actually playing.

Yawnier

Banned
They are probably trying to avoid adding anyone at any sense related to Late Wu.

Sure feels like it to me as well......

Because he bridges the gap between Shu and Wu whilst the others you mentioned are scheming against Shu.

According to the novel anyway. Have you seen the Three Kingdoms 2010 tv series? I thought Lu Su's portrayal there was excellent and is a good reason as to why he's in the game.

No, but I have read the novel and watched the 1994 TV series some years ago. My point I guess you could say outside of him being somewhat of an ambassador to Shu and trying to screw them over a few times (like his encounter with Guan Yu), he doesn't really do anything all that notable unlike Zhou Yu or Lu Xun. Zhou Yu and Lu Xun were both sort of quiessential to Wu, but Lu Su ehhh not really. His portrayal in the 1994 series was pretty good too, but like dakkumauji pointed out it seems like they are scraping the bottom of the barrel here at this point for early - mid Wu adds and trying to offset exploring Late Wu era for as long as they possibly can

Here have a review.

Written by wonderpierrot, who uploads DW videos on Youtube and pretty well known for very impressive combo videos like this one.

Bear in mind two things:
He is very combo orientated. Instead of looking on the quickest way to kill stuff, ranking up combo hits is more important so that's why he doesn't like stuff like storm rush.

Weapon crafting isn't that random. It's not perfect but not as random as he states it is since they changed it in a later patch for the game.

I also believe most of the bugs have been patched as well.

Yawnier

Banned
Here have a review.

Written by wonderpierrot, who uploads DW videos on Youtube and pretty well known for very impressive combo videos like this one.

Bear in mind two things:
He is very combo orientated. Instead of looking on the quickest way to kill stuff, ranking up combo hits is more important so that's why he doesn't like stuff like storm rush.

Weapon crafting isn't that random. It's not perfect but not as random as he states it is since they changed it in a later patch for the game.

I also believe most of the bugs have been patched as well.

Very long, but really good in-depth review. Given some of his complaints with the weapon affinity system, combos, and the AI I feel as though the score he gave DW8 is fair.

CSX

Is anyone else just waiting till xtreme legends comes out and buy a used copy of vanilla and then XL ? I did that for 7

I hope they make a download version of XL so I can put the vanilla disc in the system and REMIX MODE that way. Or just make it DLC in the first place or something. I would like that option.

Pimpbaa

Zhu Rong even hotter and breast bouncing? Now I have to get this. Don't like Lian Shi's new look however, but hopefully she has some nice alternate outfits.

Is Ambition mode anything at all like Extreme mode in DW5XL?

I've been waiting for a DW that had something similar to that where you start with nothing and slowly build up troops and officers while taking on stages that get progressively more difficult. I also liked how if you died you lost everything and had to start a new file which made things really tense. I have no idea if they would implement something like that in a future game though.

Top Bottom