• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
i'm hesitant to try this game.

My only experience ( and it was quite great ) was only with warrior orochi 3 .

Should i get intrested ?

It's very similar. Fewer characters on the whole, but there are new characters and a plethora of weapon types that weren't in Orochi 3. Also, you only use one character in a battle, but they can access any weapon during the fight.

I'm sure someone else can tell you more, I haven't played it yet.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Traitor!!!!

But I still love Xing Cai. Nobody can bulldoze everyone with a shield quite like her.

LianShi_zps214e9795.jpg

But I can't say no to her. Not anymore

Yawnier

Banned
Can anyone confirm Zhuge Dan has the same englsh voice actor as in 7? He was actually my favorite performance.

His DW7 voice actor was Keith Silverstein, but I can't find any information in the slightest as to whether he is voicing Zhuge Dan again in the english version of DW8.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I give up, just bring next week already so I can play as Wang Yi. Fuck bonds with every fiber of my being. :(

Does this game have the "Speed", "Technical", "Power" system of the WO series?

Nope. The characters have the same system that DW7 had with weapon being a certain type and characters having a certain affinity with a type of weapon. It's similar to WO3's system where they give similar abilities.

They are:

Dash: Double Jump
Dive: I think when knocked airborne, you can dive back into the ground or something
Shadow Step: Can step forward, pretty much like the Wonder class from WO3
Whirlwind: Produces whirlwinds when attacking

It's tied to your weapon, so the Great Sword is Whirlwind while the Flute is Dash, but for example, Lian Shi is more adapt in using Whirlwind weapons and not so much with Shadow Step.

Of course, you can equip skills to raise a character's adaptability with a weapon type.

Wartari

Banned
I'm intetested in this game because it looks like it has a ton of content like Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3. It seems to be the last one we'll get this gen so I think the devs put their all into it. But I do have a few concerns.

First, how does the story work? Do all 70 characters have their own story? Is it just like a fighting game story?

Second, I noticed that this series doesn't usually get the best reviews... Is that a case of reviewers beong haters or the quality of the series just not being good?

Third, I want to play with my brother. Other than the local co-op, are there other ways for us to play together?

Finally, because of the large character count, do a lot of the characters have similar movesets?

First, how does the story work? Do all 70 characters have their own story? Is it just like a fighting game story?

Each faction has its own story.

Second, I noticed that this series doesn't usually get the best reviews... Is that a case of reviewers being haters or the quality of the series just not being good?

Some call it mindless button mashing, some call it strategy game, some call it combo, some call it history, etc. Most write it off as the same old game since DW2. Not everyone's cup of tea for sure.

Third, I want to play with my brother. Other than the local co-op, are there other ways for us to play together?
There should be online MP...one person hosts, the other joins in.

Finally, because of the large character count, do a lot of the characters have similar movesets?
Used to be the case, but it has been uncloned. Everyone has their own moveset.

Wartari

Banned
Each faction has its own story.

Some call it mindless button mashing, some call it strategy game, some call it combo, some call it history, etc. Most write it off as the same old game since DW2. Not everyone's cup of tea for sure.

There should be online MP...one person hosts, the other joins in.

Used to be the case, but it has been uncloned. Everyone has their own moveset.

I meant are there are other modes like competitive or something? Also, there are three factions, correct? Thank you for answering my questions!

Just finished DW7's story mode. I couldn't help but think that they could expand more upon Sima Yan and the surrender of Wu with some more battles. Also the huge number of generic officers makes the Jin campaign quite stale at times.

Will do Conqueror Mode this weekend with my gf.

Very hyped for DW8, so much that I am thinking about getting a PS3 to play it. (Along with The Last of Us)

I meant are there are other modes like competitive or something? Also, there are three factions, correct? Thank you for answering my questions!
No competitive mode. There are 5 factions. Jin was added in DW7 and the Other officers have their own story in this one.

Just finished DW7's story mode. I couldn't help but think that they could expand more upon Sima Yan and the surrender of Wu with some more battles. Also the huge number of generic officers makes the Jin campaign quite stale at times.

Very hyped for DW8, so much that I am thinking about getting a PS3 to play it. (Along with The Last of Us)

You should :) It's has a great library of games to play. There are still tons of games coming from Sony's first party too.

Yawnier

Banned

That is one of the main complaints I've heard from the DW7 story mode and that I agree with, is how much they ignored Late Era Wu and Sima Yan is hardly given a role at all despite being the Emperor/King of Jin. Many thought he was going to be added in DW8 as well, but nope.

DW9 they will focus on this era maybe?

Also, I would say the PS3 is a system worth getting right now. Lots of exclusives on it and there are still a number of them yet to release this year. If you look around, you can probably get one for sub 200 dollars now easily.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Cao Cao was always boring to me in past DW games but I think it was Orochi 3 and DW 7 when his moves just started getting more Nobunaga-y.

It's Time For BENEVOLENCE!

Yep, Koei-Tecmo uploaded Shu's kingdom trailer. And yep, they are still tossing the English voices over the Japanese trailer.

A little sadden that Xu Shu isn't voiced by Liam O'Brien and still amused that Bao still has no lines in the trailer.

Will update the first post with this later tonight.

NeonZ

DW9 they will focus on this era maybe?

I'm not sure. I expected that in DW8 they'd at least extend Wu's cast to cover the Jin vs Wu battles already shown in DW7, but they didn't even do that. So, I'm not sure they'll make that huge leap and go straight to Jin vs Wu in a single game.

Yawnier

Banned
Is it me or is the english voice acting worse in DW8 than it is in DW7? Seems even cheesier/cornier than before but not as bad as DW3 or anything.

I'm not sure. I expected that in DW8 they'd at least extend Wu's cast to cover the Jin vs Wu battles already shown in DW7, but they didn't even do that. So, I'm not sure they'll make that huge leap and go straight to Jin vs Wu in a single game.

Well, there really are so many decent Wu adds left who are in the early and mid era of the Kingdom of Wu. You could be right though.

Is it me or is the english voice acting worse in DW8 than it is in DW7? Seems even cheesier/cornier than before but not as bad as DW3 or anything.

Reckon this was the thought process:
"Ooooh most just downloaded the free Japanese voice dlc and use it instead, we can go for a cheaper cast for the English voice this time ;)"

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wish they would just go all the way and make ALL the generals be voiced acted aware of how bad they sounded

make Dynasty Warriors the new Kung Pow.

Yawnier

Banned
Reckon this was the thought process:
"Ooooh most just downloaded the free Japanese voice dlc and use it instead, we can go for a cheaper cast for the English voice this time ;)"

I wouldn't doubt it, it sucks too because Koei looked like they were on the right track in terms of the seriousness of the english voice acting in DW7. It feels like it took a step back in terms of the English VAs this time around (DW7 wasn't a powerhouse of English voice acting either but still....).

I don't know how much more of "benevolence", "justice", and "ambition" I will be able to take before melting down. This could be the first DW where I will go mostly with Japanese voices.

Takuan

I'll fux with this when it goes on sale. Some cool-looking new characters, and entirely different movesets with the ultimate weapons sounds pretty boss too. Just not at MSRP.

We're so gonna get Lady Wu (Sun Jian's wife) and watch her outlive all her sons.

Plus Omega Force seems like hardcore Shuist =P

Someday we'll run out of Shu kids to add!

Dammit! Where is the english Jin trailer!

It'll probably come out next Friday since they been doing it weekly.

Well, there really are so many decent Wu adds left who are in the early and mid era of the Kingdom of Wu. You could be right though.

Eh, it could easily just be bad mixing of all these short audio clips into an attempt to make a coherent trailer. I wouldn't completely judge this until I play the game.

I wouldn't doubt it, it sucks too because Koei looked like they were on the right track in terms of the seriousness of the english voice acting in DW7. It feels like it took a step back in terms of the English VAs this time around (DW7 wasn't a powerhouse of English voice acting either but still....).

I don't know how much more of "benevolence", "justice", and "ambition" I will be able to take before melting down. This could be the first DW where I will go mostly with Japanese voices.

Don't forget "family"! And whatever Jin talks about.

NeonZ

Don't forget "family"! And whatever Jin talks about.

Jin in Dynasty Warriors is all about not being tied down by ideals. In fact, I wonder if the other factions got written like that exactly to make Jin stand out more?

I'm really glad Other has its own storyline this time. It really annoyed me how Zhu Rong/Lu Bu were characters in Conquest but you couldn't play as them in the story.

There's an "Others" story, but each character basically only gets one stage.

so as someone's who has gone awol since the ps2 days, how much as the combat changed. i understand that dw6 apparently fucked with the formula and they've since reverted back from that. i see all these techniques like storm rush and switch counters but does the basic foundation still consist of normal attacks (square) and charge attacks (triangle).

Cheng Pu will never be playable, ever. You get these guys instead:

Lu Su:

Did they actually say Cheng Pu will never be in the games? If so, man...that's kind of disappointing. What's their reasoning for it?

Looking at the two new guys, it's starting to look like Koei is running out of ideas for Wu characters.

Hystzen

Is Lu Bu DW2 style broken I remember launch day on PS2 spending 30 minutes shooting arrows into the bastard. Kind of miss those days of being over powered like that now he is quite easily manageable when I start on hard straight away

Did they actually say Cheng Pu will never be in the games? If so, man...that's kind of disappointing. What's their reasoning for it?

Looking at the two new guys, it's starting to look like Koei is running out of ideas for Wu characters.

No they never said anything. It is sort of like a running joke at this point hah.

Well one of them, their weapon is a damn rake.

dw8_lusu_003_thumb.jpg

I find them more much more interesting than Shu's new adds of more Guan kids and Zack.

Is Lu Bu DW2 style broken I remember launch day on PS2 spending 30 minutes shooting arrows into the bastard. Kind of miss those days of being over powered like that now he is quite easily manageable when I start on hard straight away

Have Diao Chan die before fighting Lu Bu.

Top Bottom