• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Here have a review.

Written by wonderpierrot, who uploads DW videos on Youtube and pretty well known for very impressive combo videos like this one.

Bear in mind two things:
He is very combo orientated. Instead of looking on the quickest way to kill stuff, ranking up combo hits is more important so that's why he doesn't like stuff like storm rush.

Weapon crafting isn't that random. It's not perfect but not as random as he states it is since they changed it in a later patch for the game.

I also believe most of the bugs have been patched as well.

Great review. Every character decloned is the best thing ever.

anyone know?

the ps2 versions seemed to hold their framerate most of the time and would only crater during ridiculous musous, i tried the dw7 empires demo and didn't like how it would slowdown everytime you walked into a group of 10 guys

Uh, no they didn't. Playing 3 right now, and too many sparks makes the game chug.

I dunno about Empires, but I haven't had much of a problem with 7 and Extreme.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm hoping with all the drastic changes, I'm gonna change up my usual lineup.

Can only play Cao Cao, Xiahou Yuan, and Ling Tong so many times.

Man, I miss the horrendously overpowered AI Lu Bu of old DW, (DW4?). That was awesome. Is he just as nasty in this one?

He'll probably kill you at Hu Lao Gate.

He'll probably kill you twice if you kill Diao Chan first.

I'm hoping with all the drastic changes, I'm gonna change up my usual lineup.

Can only play Cao Cao, Xiahou Yuan, and Ling Tong so many times.

Yet, all three of them just got new weapons!

shaowebb

Watch this video...

...to get an idea how ENORMOUS levels are now. Its amazing. I cannot tell you how hype I am for this game with my wife. We like them all but this brought back Free Mode, added the new paper rock scissor mechanic to weapon matchups in a fight to determine if you are at an advantage/disadvantage and it has finally added hook swords for us to abuse!

Sooooooo gonna play this.

Noi

I don't understand how characters are decloned if every character can still use every weapon like in 7?

Every character's EX weapon has a unique moveset rather than just a single EX attack like in 7. So even if two characters use the same weapon as their EX one, they'll have entirely different attacks (Zhu Rong vs Yuanji, for instance).

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I like Wei best, but will play Shu first to get benevolence out of the way. Also, Xingcai <3 <3 <3

I don't understand how characters are decloned if every character can still use every weapon like in 7?

You have the option to use whatever weapon but everyone has their own unique EX weapon and as such their own EX move with it.

So basically you have the same number of weapons as characters now instead of people sharing weapons as their EX weapon. (Add in DLC and you have more weapons than characters!)

Every character's EX weapon has a unique moveset rather than just a single EX attack like in 7. So even if two characters use the same weapon as their EX one, they'll have entirely different attacks (Zhu Rong vs Yuanji, for instance).

wait wut?! So theres a basic moveset for each type of weapon and then they went and did different movesets for EVERY character? Holy shit...

Noi

...Now I feel like I might be talking out of my ass there and made a mistake, as that's what I understood from reading the thread. Back me up here, dakkumauji!

wait wut?! So theres a basic moveset for each type of weapon and then they went and did different movesets for EVERY character? Holy shit...

Oh, not at all. They didn't go towards the WO3's route where people with the same weapon got different charge attacks.

It's still the DW7 route, where each weapon has the same moveset, regardless of who wields it. But, the EX user has their own EX move when they are using their EX weapon, so Sun Quan when using a sword can spin with flames after his C3.

Just that this time, everyone has their own unique EX weapon, so I believe there are 77ish characters and there are 77ish weapons.

Noi

Just that this time, everyone has their own unique EX weapon, so I believe there are 77ish characters and there are 77ish weapons.

Ok yeah, this is where I misunderstood. This is technically better than what I thought though, since it leads to more variety!

Oh, not at all. They didn't go towards the WO3's route where people with the same weapon got different charge attacks.

It's still the DW7 route, where each weapon has the same moveset, regardless of who wields it. But, the EX user has their own EX move when they are using their EX weapon, so Sun Quan when using a sword can spin with flames after his C3.

oo ok, that seems more reasonable but 77 different weapons is still kinda crazy, can't wait to try em all :D

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just saw this on FB:

1011957_10201436261898154_1758907644_n.jpg

Woo! Looking forward to the review, Jim!

EDIT: Also, my god, those shades. I need them.

Ok yeah, this is where I misunderstood. This is technically better than what I thought though, since it leads to more variety!

oo ok, that seems more reasonable but 77 different weapons is still kinda crazy, can't wait to try em all :D

Yep! Not to mention, they have also released about 6 and counting DLC weapons in Japan so even more variety.

Just saw this on FB:

All my jealous envy at getting a copy.

That is literally the same thing as 7. In 7, every character had the same moveset with every weapon, but they could only use their EX with that their EX weapon. That is the same exact thing you just described.

Now I'm disappointed.

Ugh.
Yep also dissapointed in what they are doing in all honesty =/, but at least everyone has a different weapon this time. But I think I'm getting franchise fatigue =/, it's a good thing Pirate Warriors at least have more different combos for each character else come it's release...urgh...

ZhugeEX

Banned
I don't know why people are complaining. There are more weapons in the game than characters. And every character has a unique weapon.

So if you want to be purest then just use the weapon the character is supposed to?

It's exactly like DW2-5 except much more diverse because every weapon has a unique moveset. There are no clone weapons like there have been in EVERY SINGLE Dynasty Warriors instalment before 8.

If anything this is a step forward.

NeonZ

That is literally the same thing as 7. In 7, every character had the same moveset with every weapon, but they could only use their EX with that their EX weapon. That is the same exact thing you just described.

Now I'm disappointed.

Ugh.

There's a pretty important difference though.

In 7, there were less weapons than characters. So, there were multiple characters with the same EX weapon. Say, Sima Zhao and Cao Cao were both assigned the generic sword. So, by default, their moveset, besides the Ex attack was the same.

In 8, there's one exclusive EX weapon per character, so scenarios like that don't happen. Now, Cao Cao and Sima Zhao have their own EX swords, and each one of those weapons have movesets completely different from DW7's generic sword (which now is only Sun Quan's EX weapon). You can still equip any of those weapons with any characters, like in 7, and you'll only miss the EX attack, but you won't get two characters who have their EX attack assigned to the same weapon anymore.

Yawnier

Banned
Just saw this on FB:

That cover!

*dies*

I don't know why people are complaining. There are more weapons in the game than characters. And every character has a unique weapon.

So if you want to be purest then just use the weapon the character is supposed to?

It's exactly like DW2-5 except much more diverse because every weapon has a unique moveset. There are no clone weapons like there have been in EVERY SINGLE Dynasty Warriors instalment before 8.

If anything this is a step forward.

It still surprises me that people at this point still can't understand that everybody is decloned, thereby every character with their own, default weapon in this game is unique. I don't see how people should be even complaining about this at all, this is the first DW title ever (except for the first game maybe?) where everybody has their own unique weapon and is not a clone of anybody else.

Remember in vanilla DW7 when 4 or 5 characters shared the Dao moveset? Well not anymore, those 4 or 5 characters have their own weapon now.

Yawnier

Banned
Yeah so everyone has their unique weapon but you can mix and match if you want. I don't see the problem with this.

Also, no information about that Ambition mode?

Exactly. 77 characters, and 77 movesets/weapons. Plus, I've heard people say here they are even adding more weapons in DLC.

That is way better than DW7 honestly. There were a boatload of clones in the vanilla version of that game.

Copy came in. Its loading screen menu echoes in the background as I type.

So far, so very pleasant. Probably the fastest paced game in the series. Only a bit into Wei story mode at the moment, so I have only a few things to say.

Cao Cao's weapon moveset is incredible. Loving the whole summoning shadows of himself.

Yue Jin is already catapulting himself into my favorite character list. The hook swords are fantastic, like an even more hippity-hoppity Gan Ning.

Lu Bu is still an utter penis.

So far, so very pleasant. Probably the fastest paced game in the series. Only a bit into Wei story mode at the moment, so I have only a few things to say.

Cao Cao's weapon moveset is incredible. Loving the whole summoning shadows of himself.

Yue Jin is already catapulting himself into my favorite character list. The hook swords are fantastic, like an even more hippity-hoppity Gan Ning.

Got killed running away already? XD Hope to hear that the bug fixes etc has been applied to this version as opposed to the Japanese release.

Did you kill Diao Chan before that.
Fucking Sun Jian did! I wailed on Diao Chan for a bit, Lu Bu got all angry, so I figured I'd just leave her alone and head to Dong Zhuo. Then in marches Sun Jian, giving it all that, acting like top banana, finishes her off, and I'M the one who gets blamed.

Fucking Sun Jian did! I wailed on Diao Chan for a bit, Lu Bu got all angry, so I figured I'd just leave her alone and head to Dong Zhuo. Then in marches Sun Jian, giving it all that, acting like top banana, finishes her off, and I'M the one who gets blamed.

That's the beauty of the Dynasty Warriors games lol. I personally love the comedy :)

ZhugeEX

Banned

30133-HYPE-TRAIN-468.jpg

He's not called the Tiger of Jiangdong for nothing!

ZhugeEX

Banned

Thats good to hear.

Hows the voice acting? Is it up to Dynasty Warriors 3 quality???? :p

Thats good to hear.

Hows the voice acting? Is it up to Dynasty Warriors 3 quality???? :p

YOU FLAMING IDIOTS!

(that's a line from the game don't ban me!!)

So, after playing all these DW games and reading up on too much Chinese history, anyone try to use that knowledge? I wish I could find a job just writing about RoTK. It's my dream.

ZhugeEX

Banned
YOU FLAMING IDIOTS!

(that's a line from the game don't ban me!!)

So, after playing all these DW games and reading up on too much Chinese history, anyone try to use that knowledge? I wish I could find a job just writing about RoTK. It's my dream.

Same as me. I started playing Dynasty Warriors and now i can tell you everything about the Three Kingdoms period according to the novel and according to history as well (don't know as much historically tbh)

Any difference between PS3 and Xbox 360 in terms of performance?

From what i've heard the 360 has worse colours and the framerate is not as good as PS3. But this is based on the ASIA 360 release. The EU/NA could have patched/changed that.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
As to help with the wait for DW8 I've been playing WO3 and I have one simple question.

How in the hell do you unlock Wang Yi.

Went on multiple forums and wikis where they said you unlock her level by raising No's and Oichi's bonds but that hasn't done a damn thing for me (have them maxed). Incredibly agitated that I spent hours for nothing, and would be incredible grateful for tips rather than relying on worthless websites that do nothing but copypaste what another had. :lol

As to help with the wait for DW8 I've been playing WO3 and I have one simple question.

How in the hell do you unlock Wang Yi.

Went on multiple forums and wikis where they said you unlock her level by raising No's and Oichi's bonds but that hasn't done a damn thing for me (have them maxed). Incredibly agitated that I spent hours for nothing, and would be incredible grateful for tips rather than relying on worthless websites that do nothing but copypaste what another had. :lol
Ya need Sima Yi to have a bond with them as well it seems.

NeonZ

He has a bond with them as well, not maxed but in the last bar.

Are you sure they all have bonds with each other? Check with each character as the playable one. If there's one missing link then it won't work.

Wow..sounds fantastic thus far! I'm really liking the preview of it. How deep does the "What-if" scenario goes?

This is fuckin' GLORIOUS to hear! I love me an imba AI Lu Bu.

i'm hesitant to try this game.

My only experience ( and it was quite great ) was only with warrior orochi 3 .

Should i get intrested ?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Hopefully Lian Shi is still overpowered with her crossbow. She displaced Xing Cai as my favorite DW character.

Top Bottom