• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Garland7G

I'm having a small problem with the PS4 version. For some reason when I record gameplay with the share button, the footage doesn't have sound. wtf :/

So, it looks like my DLC weapons and animals don't get brought over to the Vita version.

I wonder if it has been completely removed if I go back to the PS3 version. :|

Giolon

I'm having a small problem with the PS4 version. For some reason when I record gameplay with the share button, the footage doesn't have sound. wtf :/

I am getting the same thing when I broadcast, and other Twitch channels that I pulled up for the game are exhibiting the same lack of sound.

BadAss2961

Died in a battle, and the game didn't save and lost all my progress

Havent played DW in like 10 years. Is this normal? If so, trading this in asap
There are no checkpoints in DW games. There's usually an option to save your progress in the pause/map menu though. So you can save before you're about to do difficult things.

Why are the Japanese voices not part of the PS4 release and not even available as DLC (The PS4 store is blank for addons)?

Well they aren't at least for now, they're planning on releasing Japanese voices later as free DLC according to the TK NA. There isn't a release date yet though. They did this with DW7 and DW8 Vanilla as well where they released them a month or so after release. Licensing issues most likely is the cause.

https://twitter.com/TecmoKoeiUS/status/448137707391160321

impact

Banned
How are you guys liking the PS4 version? I need something to rent from Gamefly after returning Ground Demos and Second Son

Wow, just heard Zhang Liao's new voice. D:

Kinda weird how they revoiced all of his lines instead of the new ones. Kinda jarring to say the least.

I think Feep sounds fabulous though. ~_~

Wow, just heard Zhang Liao's new voice. D:

Kinda weird how they revoiced all of his lines instead of the new ones. Kinda jarring to say the least.
Yeah, it kind of caught me off guard even if I didn't notice it at first. I was questioning myself, "wait, that doesn't sound like the old voice... is it?"

Gonna miss Roger Craig Smith. :(

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
its the same for any dmc/bayonetta game/ any rpg if you die you dont keep your progress, unless you mean you have no files whatsoever ... which might be odd, but if you level up in a stage and dont clear it, you get zip zelch,natta, nothing. you gotta clear that level to keep those stats.

That's been really annoying. Back in Warriors Orochi 1 and 2, you kept the progression gained in a stage, even if something causes you to fail it. It was a lot less frustrating when Zhuga Booga across the map suddenly needed help, and then dies before you're halfway there, failing the stage.

Don't know why they decided to go back on that.

Giolon

How are you guys liking the PS4 version? I need something to rent from Gamefly after returning Ground Demos and Second Son

PS4 version is fantastic. Aside from the slightly weird DOF effect (that the Japanese version apparently can turn off in-game, but we can't yet?), it runs very smoothly at 30fps. There's no enemy pop-in, no frame-rate drops that I've experienced yet, and everything just looks very bloom-y shiny and next-gen (for a DW game). I think it's the best version of DW8 hands down.

Any impressions on the Vita version?

Haven't played a game since DW4 and would love to see how the series has evolved.

The Vita version....doesn't fare so well. It isn't bad like some of the buggy, shoddy awful ports other games have seen, but it certainly runs sub 30fps at all times. It feels to me like 20-25fps, and drops to ~15fps are not uncommon. It is neat to finally have a full handheld version of a core DW game instead of a spin-off, but I wouldn't recommend this version over the other two unless it's your only option and you know what kind of technical performance you're in for.

As for what's changed since DW4, I can't say b/c I didn't play DW4. However, I played DW2 and then none until DW7 and the differences were astounding to me, especially having listened to the games press and players complain "it never changes!". Multiple weapons, unique moves per character, a ridiculous number of characters, a story mode that made sense now that it follows houses instead of specific characters. And then DW8 came out, I picked it up and it added more stuff like the weapon triangle (though I hear it existed in some other versions), horse auto-mounting, and ensured no characters had duplicate move-sets of others anymore.

I've never played Dynasty Warriors. I enjoy character action games. I'm currently playing Infamous: Second Son, South Park, Thief and Tomb Raider.

Should I buy DW8 for PS4/Vita? Guide me, DynastyGAF.

What do you mean by character action games? Like God of War and Bayonetta? Or more like Uncharted and Tomb Raider? Dynasty Warriors is not like any of those games. It's sort of hard to describe, but imagine you're watching a show that's about a handful of incredibly badass dudes and ladies who can plow through ordinary people like Sauron through elves and men.

Most reviews and detractors will say "it's just about mashing X and killing thousands of dudes that pose no threat to you!" Well, they're at least partially wrong. The hordes of regular enemies are just cannon fodder and are largely ignorable on normal difficulties. You use them to build combo score, farm for items and health, fill your super meters, and then unleash everything you've got against enemy generals. I find it incredibly satisfying.

Wrap it all up with a gigantic cast of colorful characters, a story based loosely on Romance of the Three Kingdoms that spans decades (though it is somewhat harder to understand here than it was in DW7 at least in my opinion), and enough collectibles and unlockables to keep completionists busy for weeks.

esterk

Really tempted to get this, I skipped playing any DW games on ps3 so I feel ready to hop back in. Does it seem like it's going to be hard to find? Seems like there is some hit and miss results on that.

Giolon

Really tempted to get this, I skipped playing any DW games on ps3 so I feel ready to hop back in. Does it seem like it's going to be hard to find? Seems like there is some hit and miss results on that.

Amazon doesn't have it for PS4/Vita for some reason, but Gamestop and Best Buy do. I think it'll be pretty easy to get a hold of for a while.

If you missed DW7 and DW8, you owe it to yourself to play this one on PS4 at some point.

Giolon

I'll be streaming here for a little bit if anybody on the fence wants to see the PS4 version in action. Unfortunately, similar to BF4 when it came out, sound doesn't work on the stream.

Edit: Stream over

Sophia

Cross-platform invites seem wonky. And by wonky I mean we can't appear to get them to work at all.

Doing the Join/Recruit method seems to work however.

Feep

Banned
You do a great job. I was just saying to myself a little while ago how hilarious (in a good way) Chen Gong sounds.
Honestly, I owe a lot to the director. Normally directors can be a bit reticent of that kind of performance, but he was just laughing and saying, "More, more."

It was a ton of fun = D

The DOF is... Weird. Aside from that god I love the PS4 version. I hope that we get an option to turn it off and dual audio in a patch later on (apparently in the JPN 1.01 patch you can turn DOF off?).

Also I somehow got to a point, where there were quite literally hundreds of guys on screen at once with no pop-in and the frame rate just fucking tanked super hard, understandably so of course. Framerate isn't a stable 60FPS, but shit there's A LOT going on on screen sometimes.

Aside from that, I'm really glad they seemed to have gone all out on the PS4 version. It's REALLY good. I'm really excited to see what they can do with a DW or SW game made from the ground up with a new... Well, everything, and optimized specifically for the PS4.

Quick question, do the npc officers in story mode use the weapons you pick out for them same for skills? Or do they always use the default weapons? Only reason im asking is cause it takes me a while to go through all the officers weapons so i can pick/ buy the best ones for them before every battle.

Also this caught me off gaurd but gave me a good laugh.
DKEQ2Ie.jpg

Returners

Does anyone know how to raise someone's leadership in Ambition? Is that related to how many bodyguard points you get?

This.

I'm actually wondering if I should unlock all the allies before starting the 2nd part of ambition mode. Any thoughts?

Also, I've not played R&C Full Frontal Assault on the Vita, but this runs worse than DW:Next for sure.

codhand

Hi, first time Warrior here, checking in, can't wait to dive in later. Sounds like this can be played online coop with no level unlocking? If so that could help me convince some new warriors to join up. I hope it's newcomer friendly, as the amount of content seems intimidating.

sensui-tomo

The best way to describe this game to someone who has never played the series before...as jim sterling put it "The 3d Evolution of the old 2D side scroller beat'em ups like streets of rage/golden axe" since those games were classics and all you did was "mash buttons :p" then you play ultimate difficulty/inferno/(whatever its called nowadays) and learn that mashing square will get you killed almost instantly(due to ARROWS) but yeah i'll probably get this game on the ps3 as i have the dw8 disk(since i cant find a good way of selling it and psn still has the absurd price of $59.99 for it)

Hystzen

Argh hate got wait due to EU release.

Also first time players should always play on hard first learn that mashing buttons will not work.

arit

So its 2014 and ω-Force still cannot be bothered with analog movement? Guess they didn't want to animate walk cycles for all characters. But its fun, and that matters.

EDIT: And Hard seems to be hard.

wilflare

it'll be nice if they gave me English subs and Chinese voices (that would be the authentic experience)

still can't decide whether to buy this now

No Love

Banned
how's 30fps with single digit dips and massive DOF blur sound?

Jim Sterling's review makes it sound like Diablo 3, almost a loot driven brawler.

Yeah after a GAF'er streamed it last night on the other page, I decided to skip this jankfest. Maybe when it's $10. Looks like a PS2 game.

im probably going to get called crazy man but...

I miss dw3's arrows of death and the level based horses that throw you off if you aren't high level enough

Returners

it'll be nice if they gave me English subs and Chinese voices (that would be the authentic experience)

still can't decide whether to buy this now

Sigh, the Chinese version still has Jap voices.

Also, based on what I heard from Diablo 3's chinese dub, it would go into B-movie territory for me.

The game looks so different without all the popout

anyone else having connection issues? I've been playing ambition mode with a friend and every 3 or so matches we would disconnect

How is the vita version? How does the ps4 frame rate hold up on levels like chi bi?

Haven't tried Chibi yet, but the Vita version is pretty nice. It's a little more clunky than Next's in terms of how it looks but I'm getting used to it.

Haven't tried fire yet cause I'm totally not worried my Vita will catch on fire.

Quick question, do the npc officers in story mode use the weapons you pick out for them same for skills? Or do they always use the default weapons? Only reason im asking is cause it takes me a while to go through all the officers weapons so i can pick/ buy the best ones for them before every battle.

Also this caught me off gaurd but gave me a good laugh.

Default weapons, no skills. Like all NPCs, their strength depends on the morale bar and I guess plot reasons too.

So, supposedly you can do online coop ps4 ver w/ vanilla ps3 version. How does this work? Are you limited to weapons, moves and characters that were only in 8?

Top Bottom