• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Tiduz

Eurogaime
why is there not a gameplay vid on youtube, they are all from 3 weeks-6 months ago, i kinda wanna see what it looks like already preordered but gotta wait longer, stupid eu release dates.

Which is?

How often and how much does it drop from 60? Just talking single player.

From my experience with the Japanese version, the game sits around 30FPS almost all the time and only rises above it when there is no one else on screen (which in a Musou game is like 1% of the time!). The frame rate is pretty jerky as well, I get used to it after playing it for a while but the frame rate is definitely the worst point of the port no doubt.

cwistofu

why is there not a gameplay vid on youtube, they are all from 3 weeks-6 months ago, i kinda wanna see what it looks like already preordered but gotta wait longer, stupid eu release dates.

KOEI's own videos show it running on the Vita. They seem on par for what I'd expect of a Vita port.

NeonZ

I rented DW8 for 360 a while back, and it was the first DW I've ever played. I only played for less than an hour or so. It felt like it was all just slashing away mindlessly at tons of enemies, and nothing more. DW8 CE being on PS4 kinda makes me want to try it again though. Is there more to the game than it looks like at first glance?

Modern Dynasty Warriors is pretty much a mostly linear action game with little done to change up the pacing and such. The default difficulty is usually balanced to be easily finished, basically 'driving by" the game. If you want to raise tension and difficulty, play on hard, rather than normal. That way, things like archers surrounding your character actually matter.

Red Mage

I'm planning on getting a PSV after Lent, and since I have little chance to play my PS3, I might pick this up on PSV to finish it there. Can I just upload the vanilla PS3 DW8 without having XL for the PSV version?

Hasney

any idea how the Vita version is gonna look? is it gonna be the worst of the 3versions?

Of course. But Jim said in his escapist review that it's still beautiful, just with the occasional slowdown and soldiers popping in and out.

Getting the PS4 version on Thursday, maybe slightly earlier if time allows. But can't wait either way!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
does the vita version have reduced enemy count or ps4 version have more enemy compared to ps3? and how's the framerate for vita?
Any impressions on the Vita version?

Haven't played a game since DW4 and would love to see how the series has evolved.
I'm desperate to know how the Vita version holds up.
any idea how the Vita version is gonna look? is it gonna be the worst of the 3versions?

Since people keep on asking, the TL;DR version is:

The Vita version has framerate issues and muffled sound quality. Weakest 'warriors' port on the Vita, but with that said everything is intact.

The PS4 version has a framerate similar to the PS3 version, but with improved visuals and no enemy pop-in. There's a foggy/blurry background effect that most hate. You can turn it off in-game.

If you have to choose between the two, get the game on PS4. You can always do remote play on Vita anyway.

And if any reviewers bash the PS4 version for that background effect, let 'em have it.

-Source: Me, having played Dynasty Warriors Next, One Piece Pirate Warriors 2, Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, Dynasty Warriors 8 XL, New Dynasty Warriors Gundam, and Samurai Warriors 4 on Vita.

I rented DW8 for 360 a while back, and it was the first DW I've ever played. I only played for less than an hour or so. It felt like it was all just slashing away mindlessly at tons of enemies, and nothing more. DW8 CE being on PS4 kinda makes me want to try it again though. Is there more to the game than it looks like at first glance?

tumblr_mav6jfppTG1qiplke.gif

Welcome to DW. :D

Lyte Edge

Which is?

How often and how much does it drop from 60? Just talking single player.

It's not a constant framerate at all and the drops are all over the place. It depends on the stage/area of the stage. Really hard to gauge exact numbers. It's nothing game breaking (that was only the Vita version, pre-patch) and doesn't affect the game play, but I am disappointed that Koei didn't try for a locked frame rate, even if that meant dropping it down to 30.

BadAss2961

From my experience with the Japanese version, the game sits around 30FPS almost all the time and only rises above it when there is no one else on screen (which in a Musou game is like 1% of the time!). The frame rate is pretty jerky as well, I get used to it after playing it for a while but the frame rate is definitely the worst point of the port no doubt.
It's not a constant framerate at all and the drops are all over the place. It depends on the stage/area of the stage. Really hard to gauge exact numbers. It's nothing game breaking (that was only the Vita version, pre-patch) and doesn't affect the game play, but I am disappointed that Koei didn't try for a locked frame rate, even if that meant dropping it down to 30.
I love DW, but I don't think I can justify buying this if Koei can't manage a decent 60fps here. PS4 should smoke this game.

Lyte Edge

I love DW, but I don't think I can justify buying this if Koei can't manage a decent 60fps here. PS4 should smoke this game.

Understandable, but if you've played DW8 on PS3, you know what to expect performance-wise-- and the huge number of enemies on-screen is glorious.

Anyone else pick up the Vita version? Is there any kind of insert or manual? Not sure if mine was supposed to come empty since I got the last gutted Gamestop copy.

Not seeing any options to toggle fog as people have been mentioning. Not seeing any way to toggle the controller speaker... Having trouble running around these massive maps to save every shitty officer on my side as they constantly need my babysitting... The map is a jumble of icons and blinking shit that I can't decipher...

Slicing dudes is fun, but I really gotta settle into this before I make any judgments.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This game was supposed to release at 39.99 on the PS4, wasn't it?

On the PSN store it's listing 59.99... is that an error?

Giolon

Oh nice, you can turn off the PS4 DOF filter thing?
Alright.
I'm in.

The US version of DW8XL on PS4 does NOT currently have the option to turn off DOF. It was apparently added in a 1.01 patch for Japan. I'm hoping we'll get it soon.

Other than the DOF, it's the same fun as DW8. It plays very smooth! The frame rate was very consistent when I played for about 45 minutes this morning in the Jin campaign.

Bought it this morning on psn for PS4. I'll be on later tonight if Anyone wants to do some Co op. This is my first Dynasty warriors game I've bought in a couple years. I'm assuming its kinda like the Gundam ones. Psn: Agent_ShortBus

I've always wanted to play some DW but never really got the chance. I watched someone play this over PS4 sharing this morning, it looks fun but definitely has a hey-we-did-a-quicky-port-from-PS3 vibe to it. Color me interested, but not for $60. Hopefully I can land this at a discount or sale sometime soon.

Holy cow the voices coming out of the controller on the DS4(and the voices being MUCH quieter on the TV) and the DOF. Kind of disappointed so far because of those 2 things. :(

Sounds like it, yeah.
Hold the PS button, go to adjust devices and you can turn down/off the controller speaker... So far there's no option to turn it off in game and its a minor complaint from me too.

Lyte Edge

The US version doesn't have the depth of field/fog toggle? WTF!?

Just to be sure, it's an in-game menu toggle.

OK, so far Ambition mode is much more fun than Story mode. I love the progression that happens at the base, feels like a meatier mode overall.

Lyte Edge

Hoping it'll come in a patch like it did for Japan apparently. They are on 1.01 and US has 1.0.

Do you know when that patch was released? I got the Japanese version just a few days after it came out. Don't remember being prompted to download a patch on PSN.

Giolon

Do you know when that patch was released? I got the Japanese version just a few days after it came out. Don't remember being prompted to download a patch on PSN.

There were some comments on GameFAQs about the Japanese version being 1.01 compared to the Asia version's 1.0 and the feature being new: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/730572-dynasty-warriors-8-xtreme-legends-complete-edition/68618019

It could've just been pressed onto their disc. Sadly we didn't get it :(

Tohsaka

Are the Japanese voices not on the disc? I bought the game earlier but haven't played it yet and a friend who has it says there's no option to switch languages. I don't see why they wouldn't just put them on the disc, and there's no Japanese voice DLC listed on today's store update either. I guess I'll be waiting to play it if so.

wilflare

-Source: Me, having played Dynasty Warriors Next, One Piece Pirate Warriors 2, Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, Dynasty Warriors 8 XL, New Dynasty Warriors Gundam, and Samurai Warriors 4 on Vita.

thanks for the detailed post :D
guess I'll skip this then... have yet to even finish DW:Next
(finished 7 (my first ever plat) on PS3 though)

I would love to play the other titles you've mentioned on the Vita... but no localisation :/

so in terms of technical quality, DW:Next > DW8CE Vita?

Are the Japanese voices not on the disc? I bought the game earlier but haven't played it yet and a friend who has it says there's no option to switch languages. I don't see why they wouldn't just put them on the disc, and there's no Japanese voice DLC listed on today's store update either. I guess I'll be waiting to play it if so.
Ah, yes. I knew I was missing something when I mentioned that it's been disappointing me.

No language switch option on the disc, and Tecmo Koei is skirting around giving a date.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Dumb question but about the trophies...do any require gameplay in DW8? Or is it tied only to XL content. Like can you level up an officer in DW8 and get the trophy for maxing that?

Top Bottom