• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i just bought the game from the us store, works fine on my EU ps4/account thank god D:

Made the game ~15 euros cheaper too and i get it a week early!

i do hope you can turn off the DOF soon.

OSHAN

Unfortunately. They're giving free Japanese audio DLC but I don't understand why it wasn't on the disc.

It's been awhile since I bought a DW game, but the last one I picked up was Warriors Orochi 3 and that definitely was in Japanese. Oh well. Guess I'll wait for the DLC. My local store isn't getting this game until 4/3 anyway.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
they said if you link your account the dlc you brought on ps3 will link over and when its released on ps4 you get it for free if you brought ps3 one

i just bought the game from the us store, works fine on my EU ps4/account thank god D:

Made the game ~15 euros cheaper too and i get it a week early!

i do hope you can turn off the DOF soon.

You should be able to turn off the Depth of Field now (if its like the Japanese release). There should be an option for it in the options menu, you might need to download the patch first as in the Japanese release the option was patched in.

Guymelef

You should be able to turn off the Depth of Field now (if its like the Japanese release). There should be an option for it in the options menu, you might need to download the patch first as in the Japanese release the option was patched in.

Apparently no option to turn off DOF yet.

It's been awhile since I bought a DW game, but the last one I picked up was Warriors Orochi 3 and that definitely was in Japanese. Oh well. Guess I'll wait for the DLC. My local store isn't getting this game until 4/3 anyway.

Warriors Orochi 3 didn't have a dub so it had to have Japanese voices.

I imagine it could maybe be due to the Vita size, since the Japanese voice DLC for the original game was like 1 GB.

Hopefully it wouldn't take forever to get them out though.

OSHAN

I imagine it could maybe be due to the Vita size, since the Japanese voice DLC for the original game was like 1 GB.

Well that explains why it "defaulted" to Japanese voices then.

I have a really basic question. Are the small circles on the map supposed to be gate captains? They are really hard to see. I can see them on the mini map but in game all of the regular soldiers look the same. Killing them stops respawns in that area right?

Giolon

Wait, the framerate on the Vita was partially remedied by a patch? This patch included in the base game, or does the west get the shaft?

No. The frame rate is solidly sub 30, probably sub 20 at many times. People are talking about a patch to disable DOF in the PS4 version like Japan can.

Well it's not the first time they've just released a patch for Japanese Audio later on. They did it in the form of DLC for DW7 and DW8 on the PS3. I hope they include a patch for Dual Audio and the option to turn DOF like, within hopefully a month. I also convinced a friend to pick up DW8 XL CE for his PS4 as well, and he loves it. My main argument was that it's probably as good or almost better than DW3 which he loved. He also skipped everything between DW3 and DW8.

Haven't tried Chibi yet, but the Vita version is pretty nice. It's a little more clunky than Next's in terms of how it looks but I'm getting used to it.

Haven't tried fire yet cause I'm totally not worried my Vita will catch on fire.

Default weapons, no skills. Like all NPCs, their strength depends on the morale bar and I guess plot reasons too.

Thanks! You just saved me alot of time, now I won't waste time having to set them all up before every battle.

Giolon

Let me try to dig up the link I was just reading. A number of gamefaqs users are claiming the 1.02 patch for Vita made the framerate more stable. Or you know, it could just be gamefaqs. ;)

Edit:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/728615-dynasty-warriors-8-xtreme-legends-complete-edition/68370508

I see. Well, given that we don't have the patch that Japan got for the PS4 version that adds an option to disable DOF (though there is some confusion as to whether it was an actual released patch or if it came on their disk that way. In any case their PS4 version is 1.01 vs 1.0 for Asia and presumably the US), I doubt that we have the patch for the Vita version.

If it IS the patched version on Vita, and this is considered "better", I'd have really hated to see it before bc its borderline unplayable for me, and I'm sure bigger performance snobs actually will consider it unplayable. Even the menus run at sub 30 framerate. The menus!

Really small detail I noticed, but the games name in the activity feed is also in Japanese. Interesting. Dual audio SOON.

wZQdyMx.jpg

wilflare

Sigh, the Chinese version still has Jap voices.

Also, based on what I heard from Diablo 3's chinese dub, it would go into B-movie territory for me.

that bad?... guess I'll stick with Japanese voices
if they offered Simplified Chinese subs, would be nice too.
had to read the books when I was in junior high... (oh gosh.. lol)

Should I just get the PS4 version and Remoteplay? :/

Even the menus run at sub 30 framerate. The menus!

Just played for a bit and this was the first thing I noticed! Heh. Oh well, it still scratches that "Musou of the Go" itch. Pretty excited to really dive in to Ambition and Free modes. Thanks for the quick replies!

thelastword

Banned
Just saw the ps3/ps4 comparison, It looks very nice on the PS4, I like how clean the image is, very good anti-aliasing. The only thing I don't like is the blurred background on the PS4 version. I'll get it when it's a bit cheaper.

I was thinking of getting this. The DW games have never really had wonderful performance, but it sounds like this one is especially disappointing? It's not cheap here (about US$95), so I don't wanna just slap down that kind of cash if it really can't handle 30fps.

Giolon

I was thinking of getting this. The DW games have never really had wonderful performance, but it sounds like this one is especially disappointing? It's not cheap here (about US$95), so I don't wanna just slap down that kind of cash if it really can't handle 30fps.

The performance on PS4 is great - very solid 30fps, maybe single digit drops at times, absolutely minimal pop-in compared to PS3 version. Vita is not - sub 30fps at all times, heavy drops even from there in busy combat.

It makes me sad that people are finding the PS Vita version so inferior. As I said in my review, I found both equally great, with the Vita obviously making a couple compromises. I didn't experience anything quite so nasty as I'm hearing, which sucks.

Sophia

The performance issues are really minor. The PS4 version maintains a fairly good 30+ framerate except under certain situations. At no point does it ever become unplayable.

The performance on PS4 is great - very solid 30fps, maybe single digit drops at times, absolutely minimal pop-in compared to PS3 version. Vita is not - sub 30fps at all times, heavy drops even from there in busy combat.

The performance issues are really minor. The PS4 version maintains a fairly good 30+ framerate except under certain situations. At no point does it ever become unplayable.

Thanks, guys. Looks like I'll splash out after all. :)

ViciousDS

Banned

this, I've had the screen flooded with enemies and don't think I have hit anything even close to the PS3 bogs that we had.....also the game is very clean looking and just the amount of sheer content the complete edition provides is easily worth $60 to me since I never bought the original on PS3 (gamefly).

I hope sales are decent because DW8 is the best Dynasty Warriors to come out since the PS2 days in DW3 and DW4 (I REALLY miss the XP weapon system that they only put in for one game.)

It makes me sad that people are finding the PS Vita version so inferior. As I said in my review, I found both equally great, with the Vita obviously making a couple compromises. I didn't experience anything quite so nasty as I'm hearing, which sucks.

I'm enjoying the fact that I have a full blown (non spin off) Dynasty Warriors title on my Vita but damn can it chug. Runs sub 30 more often than not. I think it might be the lighting engine. As soon as characters glow/sparkle/shimmer the framerate drops like a log. Regardless, I can't wait to load it up again, inconsistent framerate or not.

Giolon

Does vita/ps3 share a trophy list, or do you have two different sets if you own both versions?

The trophy lists break down this way:

PS3 Dynasty Warriors 8 (Vanilla)

PS3/Vita Dynasty Warriors Xtreme Legends

PS4 Dynasty Warriors Xtreme Legends

Or so says my Vita's trophy list.

Believe me, I'm sad that I'm experiencing them. If this mythical frame-rate fixing patch shows up that GameFAQs talks about, I'll be pretty happy, but I'm not holding my breath. I couldn't in good conscience recommend the Vita version to anybody without serious caveats as to what performance level to expect.

Timu

Just saw the ps3/ps4 comparison, It looks very nice on the PS4, I like how clean the image is, very good anti-aliasing. The only thing I don't like is the blurred background on the PS4 version. I'll get it when it's a bit cheaper.
It's probably dat blur filter doing that which can be turned off once the patch comes for the US version since the Japanese version already has that feature.

Sophia

I'm hoping said patch also fixes the streaming issue (there's no sound when streaming) and the broken invite system (doesn't work cross-platform...)

Those are both bigger issues than the DOF. :S

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

I might not feel so harshly about it if I hadn't played all the other superior musou Vita ports.

There's no reason for the framerate issues and bad sound quality when all of the other ports don't have this problem.

Biker19

Banned
how's 30fps with single digit dips and massive DOF blur sound?

Jim Sterling's review makes it sound like Diablo 3, almost a loot driven brawler.

Guess I'll wait for a proper next gen DW title (Dynasty Warriors 9).

Well Koei is really going to port this to everywhere.

Wonder what will be so special about this port (if any) and I guess this is the best chance to localize the PS4, Vita and why not PS3 version now.

Probably better graphics (I hope) with more enemies &/or NPC characters on screen.

arit

Guess I'll wait for a proper next gen DW title (Dynasty Warriors 9).

Probably better graphics (I hope) with more enemies &/or NPC characters on screen.

Sometimes I wonder if more is really better, though I do not know if it was not a problem with the ps360 version, since I only really played DW2 and Gundam 3 before going DW8/PS4. Sometimes I wish I could see my character more clearly/at all (those damn banner guys).

uGo0or0.jpg

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I still haven't found a 100% definitive answer on this yet: If I have digital DW8 (PS3) and get digital XL, can I delete vanilla DW8 after it's verified? There's no way I'm eating up 40GB of my HDD for DW8. :lol

The Llama

Man I haven't played DW since like DW4 or 5 I think, and I have such a strong craving to buy this on the PS4. Trying to hold out for a sale, but idk if I can resist!

Am I crazy, or can you not play(or, at least, start) this offline on PS4? I tried 3 times today and nothing happened, and I finally got my internet back a little while ago. Now it starts up just fine. :/

arit

Am I crazy, or can you not play(or, at least, start) this offline on PS4? I tried 3 times today and nothing happened, and I finally got my internet back a little while ago. Now it starts up just fine. :/

After the first 3gb or so it will install the game with the tutorials available. After that it will download the remaining 21gb in the background.

Top Bottom